Hot Off The Press! The Latest Television News and Info - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This is definitely not about HD programming, but I found it interesting nonetheless. It's from Long Island New York's Newsday, and is a pretty balanced look at the Bill O'Reilly affair.

OFF CAMERA

Accusing times: Bill O'Reilly takes the first round in what may be a long legal battle

By VERNE GAY October 18, 2004

The peril in writing an intensely personal self-help book based on your own life is that your own words may come back to haunt you. Like right about now:

"My mistakes," a best-selling author once observed, "usually were caused by a congenital impatience, insecurity, and an inability to control myself when confronted with the actions of bad people. Very often, I gave my enemies all they needed to defeat me, [but] at the same time, I made very few mistakes in my personal life." He goes on: "I have both the ability to recognize toxic people almost immediately and also the discipline to avoid them in most cases.

"I had no need for Dr. Phil, and thank God for that."

The writer: Bill O'Reilly. The book: "Who's Looking Out for You?" The irony: Supply your own adjective.

As last week's dueling lawsuits between accuser and accused moved into the courts, the question before TV news' biggest gun (and gunslinger) now stands painfully obvious.

How much damage has Bill O'Reilly done to both image and career by apparently ignoring his own sound advice, assuming she turns out to be "toxic," as the full-barreled force of the News Corp. public relations and legal apparatus now charge?

Before getting to that question, first the facts: At deadline, the accusations leveled at O'Reilly by Andrea Mackris, a 33-year-old "O'Reilly Factor" producer, who claimed in a lawsuit that he initiated sexually explicit phone conversations, have been neither denied nor confirmed by Fox.

O'Reilly's lawyer, Ron Green, has sought a court order to get Mackris and her lawyer, Benedict Morelli, to turn over audio tapes that would prove the allegations, but so far no tapes have surfaced.

Without addressing the merits of either suit, there were indications that Fox News handled this as well as it possibly could have, and maybe even minimized the damage to its single most valuable property - a guy named Bill.

Foremost, sources point out that by firing the first salvo on Wednesday last week, Fox and its particularly hard-knuckled and savvy CEO, Roger Ailes, played directly to the news cycle. That night's final presidential debate essentially drowned out the O'Reilly story the following day.

CNN and MSNBC, which might have joyously played up the story on a slow day, were forced to relegate it by Thursday. Even the shock troops of the news cycle - the influential political bloggers - barely took notice by week's end.

The brazen legal strategy also may have been a base hit for Fox and O'Reilly, observers say. It instantly forced the media to judge the merits of two lawsuits, instead of just one. That tends to fill up column inches, while forcing the fair-and-balanced media to report the details of two complicated legal proceedings.

O'Reilly and Fox knew the charges "were going to come out one way or another and decided to pre-empt it," says Dennis Fleischmann, a New York-based attorney who specializes in labor and employment. And "by tying it into the debates, that was going to be the big story and not necessarily [this]."

Fleischmann also said that Fox's pre-emptive strategy, which was designed to turn the accuser into the accused, is an increasingly common legal ploy, "which a lot of people might find distasteful, but you can't dismiss it as a litigation strategy. People also complain about negative political campaigning, but they keep doing it because it works."

O'Reilly has another big advantage - his devoted fan base. Many are older viewers who are unlikely to drift to Web sites like Smoking Gun where they can read transcripts of what O'Reilly reportedly said to the woman. If and when the tapes are released, the sound bites are unlikely to get little, if any, mainstream media play because of their content. You'll have to go to "The Howard Stern Show" for those outtakes.

Dan Cooper, the former managing editor of the Fox News Channel, who left in 1997, adds, "Bill O'Reilly is a Teflon guy, the way Clinton is a Teflon guy." His fans, he says, "are behind him and they are going to remain behind him."

But observers agree that O'Reilly's most indispensable ally is Ailes - Richard Nixon's former communications adviser and a brawler who relishes total war. In an interview last week, O'Reilly called Ailes "the greatest guy in the world. He's got a blood brother forever." (Ailes declined comment.)

Meanwhile, 3.3 million viewers saw "The O'Reilly Factor" Thursday night, up nearly a million over the average.

Yes, this is just the beginning of what could be a long, devastating and unimaginably messy process. The worst days may lie ahead for O'Reilly. But so far, first round goes to Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Two things:

1) Nanny 911 is what Fox did with Trading Spouses. ABC bought the rights from the original British version, which was Wife Swap. Fox lost out to the rights and makes a cheaper, lesser-quality version called Trading Spouses, which it also rushes to premiere earlier than ABC's original version. ABC bought the rights to some popular UK nanny reality show, Fox made Nanny 911.

2) The Rebel Billionaire will be in HD. I noticed all scenes from the show have been letterboxed in the ads for it, did a quick Google search and found:

http://www.cbc-raleigh.com/capcom/ne.../hd_launch.htm:

"In addition to sports, FOX 50 will broadcast many of the new seasons primetime shows in HD as well. These include 24, Malcolm in the Middle, Bernie Mac, Quintuplets, House, North Shore, The Rebel Billionaire, Emmy Award winning Arrested Development and others."

I have not seen this news mentioned on any TV news site...fredfa, you should put an HD logo next to it on the premiere list.

Unlike The Benefactor's empty promises, we'll have our first HD network reality show.
post #363 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It'll get an HD bug, f44, (and thanks for the heads up) but I have to tell you -- it still looks awful.
post #364 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

I agree it doesn't look great, it's produced by The Real World and Road Rules people though instead of someone who produces any of the dating shows. However, they did make The Simple Life.
post #365 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Having seen some promos, I amend my comment: I think it looks even worse than awful.
There may not be a single show on Fox which gets a double digit share this season -- until American Idol returns.
post #366 of 25503 Old 10-18-2004, 10:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fredfa
danielhart:
Because a) there was some discussion of it being presented in HD,
and b) although this is primarily interested in HD, it seems to me that HD does not exist in a vacuum, and is subject to all kinds of TV pressures, many of them not HD at all.
But your point is one KenH has been making to me, and perhaps we'll just end the thread because it does NOT, as you (and he before you) have noted, solely deal with HD matters.

Perhaps I worded my post badly. It does't bother me that it was posted here; I meant to make the point that the valuable information in the post about F-911 might be better disseminated elsewhere (i.e., more people may have seen it). I think the thread itself is great.

daniel

"Cueball's made of styrofoam, and no one's got the time"
post #367 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks daniel.
I apologize for sometimes getting a bit protective of this thread!
post #368 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sorry for the delay.
Monday's ratings posted.
post #369 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Week Four prime time ratings are posted
post #370 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Fredfa, CSI NY isn't in the top 20 rated shows? I'm surprised.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #371 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Fredfa, CSI NY isn't in the top 20 rated shows? I'm surprised.

I think the debate pre-empted CSI: NY last week.
post #372 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tall1
I think the debate pre-empted CSI: NY last week.

Ok, thanks.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #373 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:22 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Quote:

# PROGRAM NET RATING/SHARE VIEWERS
5 SURVIVOR: VANUATU HD CBS 11.6/18.0 19,157,000
20 WILL & GRACE HD NBC 8.5/13.0 13,002,000

Both of these shows aren't HD.
post #374 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:26 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

How do The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and 3rd Rock From the Sun perform in syndication?
post #375 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Medialife.com polled ad buyers and media people about their feelings on the new TV season:

Readers: ABC's tops in the wow factor
Network voted the new season's biggest surprise

Two months ago, no one had anything good to say about ABC. Now the network is the darling of the new season. It's also the new-f0und darling of media planners and buyers.

We asked Media Life readers to evaluate the first month of the new season in a poll last week, and judging by those results media folks are most impressed by what they've seen from the Disney network.

ABC gets the nod for the biggest surprise of the season, the strongest start to the season, and for the two top new shows of the season.

Readers used words like fresh, sexy and innovative to describe the long-struggling network. They were relieved to see that new hit shows can prosper without a) crime scenes and b) any resemblance to reality (unless you consider big hairy monsters real).

Perhaps most of all, they were surprised by ABC's sharp rise in contrast to NBC's sudden fall.

We asked, What's the biggest surprise of the young season? Two-thirds responded, ABC's strong performance among adults 18-49, especially on Sunday nights while 12.9 percent chose, NBC's weak performance among 18-49s, especially on Thursday nights.

Far fewer were impressed by CBS's gains this season, as impressive as they have also been, with 6.3 percent checking off CBS's overall strength in every demo. The same number chose the Overall weakness of broadcast and the continued drain to cable.
Just 4.9 percent picked, Fox's overall weakness in every demo. Nearly 4 percent chose other, with responses including no surprises and Reality shows finally going down the tubes (thank you).

We asked readers to explain their choice, and most of the responses centered on ABC.

Their track record indicates they'd have a better chance of finding ants in a tar pit than a program that could generate good buzz and real ratings, said one.

Who knew people would actually tune in to watch shows like Lost' and Desperate Housewives?' What critics like and what middle America seems to like never seems to meet. Great for ABC, answered another.

Desperate Housewives' had lots of buzz, but it's the first show in the last few years to live up to the buzz, pointed out one respondent.

Some people were surprised at NBC's fall combined with ABC's rise.

The leader goes down, observed one respondent.

I had expected ABC to grow, cause I had seen most of the pilots before their official launch, but that NBC would be the one that suffered the most was unexpected, observed another.
My surprise is with how quickly ABC took advantage of NBC's fall ... however, after seeing their fall previews I knew they had a few shows that could do damage, said one.

Although NBC has been trending downward, I never expected them to fall off so quickly this year, answered another.

Joey' needs some friends, suggested yet another.

We asked, Which network is off to the best start of the season? and no surprise, ABC also dominated with 62.7 percent of the vote.
CBS came second at 34.5 percent, followed by the WB (1.6 percent), UPN (0.8 percent), NBC (0.4 percent) and Fox (0 percent).

As for who's off to the worst start, NBC was far ahead at 55.1 percent with baseball-laden Fox just behind at 33.1 percent. UPN was third at 7.5 percent, the WB fourth at 2.4 percent, CBS fifth at 1.2 percent and ABC sixth at 0.8 percent.

We asked, What's the best new show of the season? and two ABC shows dominated. Desperate Housewives edged Lost with 42.4 percent of the vote to 35.3 percent. Far behind came CBS's CSI: New York at 7.5 percent, followed by the WB's Jack & Bobby at 5.5 percent, UPN's Kevin Hill at 2.7 percent and NBC's Joey at 1.2 percent.

More than 5 percent chose other, with ABC's Boston Legal leading the write-ins.

We also asked, What's the worst new show of the season? and NBC's high-priced adult cartoon Father of the Pride got the nod with 35.1 percent of the vote.

Another NBC clunker, Hawaii, which is now on hiatus, placed second with 23.9 percent, followed by CBS's dr. vegas (13.1 percent), CBS's Listen Up (8.8 percent), the WB's The Mountain (8 percent) and ABC's Rodney (4 percent).

Other received 7.2 percent, with Joey and all of the above getting the most mentions.

We asked which show will be canceled first, and you tabbed CBS's vegas with 39.7 percent of the vote. Thirty-one percent picked Pride, followed by ABC's Complete Savages (11.5 percent), the WB's The Mountain (7.9 percent) and UPN's Veronica Mars (3.6 percent).

Just over 6 percent chose other, with several suggesting Hawaii.

We wanted to know what deserving show should get a second chance with a new time slot. Forty-two percent chose Sunday's struggling Jack & Bobby with ABC's life as we know it just edging Veronica for second, 26.9-23.5 percent. Other received 7.6 percent, with several saying NBC's Tuesday 9:30 p.m. Scrubs, in its fourth year, deserved a new slot.

We asked, Which returning show have you been most impressed by? and 25.3 percent chose Without a Trace, which has pulled ahead of time slot competitor ER in households. Twenty percent tabbed ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, followed by WB's Gilmore Girls (16.3 percent), CBS's CSI (15.5 percent) and NBC's ER (10.2 percent), which tied with other.

NBC's Apprentice took least impressive returning show by a wide margin, getting 38.4 percent. Tied for second were Fox's That 70s Show and NBC's Law & Order at 16.8 percent, fourth was ABC's 8 Simple Rules at 15.2 percent, and fifth was UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise at 4.4 percent. Other received 8.8 percent.

Finally, we figured as long as we had your attention, we'd get an opinion on the Dan Rather situation.
We asked, Right now, gut feeling, should Dan Rather stay or go?
An overwhelming majority, 73.8 percent, said, Stay - He got fed bad information by a source. C'mon, after 30-plus years isn't a guy entitled to a break?
Only 26.2 percent answered, Go - That pinko. He was trying to smear Bush. Goodbye and good riddance.
post #376 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I need to hire you as a proof reader, f44. Good job.
post #377 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

re f44:
"How do The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and 3rd Rock From the Sun perform in syndication?"

Apparently not well.
I know Third Rock is pretty "tired" by syndication standards. Anyhow, none of those shows appears in the top syndicated numbers for this season.

(Syndication numbers are posted at the bottom of the Monday, Oct. 18th ratings from Marc Berman's column.)
Here they are:

Syndication Scorecard:
Season to-Date Update

OFF-NETWORK SITCOMS
Everybody Loves Raymond: 7.6 (+23)
Seinfeld: 6.5 (- 4)
Friends: 5.9 (-14)
Will & Grace and That '70s Show: 3.5 (-17 each)
Malcolm in the Middle: 3.4
King Of Queens: 3.0 (+ 7)
Home Improvement: 2.8 (-20)
Frasier: 2.3 (-15)
Becker: 2.0 (+ 5)
Girlfriends: 1.8
Drew Carey: 1.8 (no change)
The Parkers: 1.4 (+40)
Dharma & Greg: 1.4 (-39)
Just Shoot Me: 0.9 (-40)
Spin City: 0.6
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: 0.6 (-33)
post #378 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

November sweep notes from thefutoncritic.com

ABC Issues Early November Sweeps Plans
By The Futon Critic Staff

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- ABC has quietly outlined its November sweeps plans, which as usual include a mix of specials, movies and the like. Here's a breakdown of some of the highlights:

-- Once "The Benefactor" wraps next week look for ABC to initially fill the Monday, 8:00/7:00c hour with the special "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition - How'd They Do That?" on November 1. Said program will provide some additional details on the previous night's episode ("Ali Family"). A second "How'd They Do That?" special is also slated for November 29 ("Burns Family"). In between the two, look for the launch of the series version of "Life of Luxury," a follow-up to last year's George Hamilton-hosted "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"-esque special, on November 8.

-- Season six of "The Bachelor" is set to wrap with a two-hour installment on Wednesday, November 24 at 8:00/7:00c. As has been the case in previous seasons, "The Women Tell All" special will air the week prior to the finale (Wednesday, November 17 at 9:00/8:00c) with the "After the Final Rose" special following the finale (Wednesday, November 24 at 10:00/9:00c).

-- On the movie front look for the theatricals "The Rookie" (Saturday, November 6 at 8:00/7:00c), "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (Saturday, November 13 at 8:00/7:00c) and "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (Thursday, November 25 at 8:30/7:30c) during the period.

-- "Nick & Jessica's Family Christmas," the pair's second special for the network, is set to air on Wednesday, December 1 at 9:00/8:00c while ABC's "32nd Annual American Music Awards" will run on Sunday, November 14 at 8:00/7:00c.

-- Following the sweeps period, ABC has scheduled two original movies: the three-hour "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" (Sunday, December 5 at 8:00/7:00c), which stars Ellen Burstyn, Jeff Daniels, Dagmara Dominczyk, Steve Grayhem and Jon Voight, and its "Wonderful World of Disney" presentation of "Naughty or Nice" (Saturday, December 18 at 9:00/8:00c), featuring George Lopez, Lisa Vidale, Bianca Collins, Christopher Collins, James Kirk, Roger Lodge, Dan McLean and John Salley. Also in December, look for "Barbara Walters Presents the 10 Most Fascinating People of 2004" on Wednesday, December 15 at 9:00/8:00c.
post #379 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bye Bye, "Hawaii".
From the Honlulu Advertiser newspaper:

'Hawaii,' faced with poor ratings, gets ax

By Michael Tsai Advertiser Staff Writer
Posted on: Tuesday, October 19, 2004

It's time to bid aloha to "Hawaii."

Members of the "Hawaii" cast arrived on O'ahu last summer with much aloha, appearing at such events as a sneak preview at Sunset on the Beach. Now, the cast is saying aloha again but this time it means goodbye after NBC's decision to cancel the police drama.

NBC publicist Jamie French confirmed yesterday that the show "has stopped production."

The cancellation is a blow to the local film and television industry, which has been enjoying a boom year with the arrival of three network television shows filmed on O'ahu: "Hawaii," ABC's surprise smash "Lost," and Fox's "North Shore."

"This is obviously the worst news you can get," said Hawai'i film commissioner Donne Dawson, whose office had worked closely with the production since filming for the pilot episode last spring. "We all had high hopes for this show."

The seventh and, as it turned out, final episode of the show aired Oct. 6 and drew a series-low 5.3/8 overnight rating, barely edging the WB's "Smallville" for third place in its time slot.

The network had pulled the show from its Wednesday lineup for the sweeps ratings period this month, but cast and crew were told last week that the show would return later in the year.

However, a decision was apparently made over the weekend to simply pull the plug on the struggling show.

The network had made an initial order of 12 shows in May, at an estimated cost of about $2 million per episode. An eighth episode has been shot but will not air.

"Hawaii," which starred Michael Biehn, Sharif Atkins, Eric Balfour, Ivan Sergei, Aya Sumika, Peter Navy Tuiasosopo, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, had promised to expose "the other side of paradise" as detectives from the fictional Honolulu Metro Police Department took on a wide and wild array of criminal cases.

The network had big expectations for the show, running high-profile advertisements during the Olympics and scheduling three airings in its debut week.

But the show opened to harsh reviews from national television critics who found it poorly scripted and derivative. And after some encouraging numbers in the first few weeks, the show's ratings fell off.

"Hawaii" did earn praise for attempting, however awkwardly, to represent the breadth of local lifestyles and traditions in its stories, and for hiring a large number of local actors, extras, and crew.

Ultimately, it may have been the debut of another series shot on O'ahu that spelled the end for "Hawaii."

"Hawaii" and "Lost" aired in the same Wednesday night time slot, a position "Lost" has dominated since it debuted a month ago.

"'Hawaii' had relatively strong numbers at the beginning, but unfortunately it had to go up against one of the No. 1 shows of the season," said Honolulu film commissioner Walea Constantinau. "It's unfortunate for us that two Hawai'i shows had to go head to head."

There are many issues yet to be resolved regarding the show's exit from the Islands, but Dawson said her office will work with other productions including the WB's "Rocky Point," which filmed a pilot here last month to see if they can make use of some of the resources now available.

"It's disappointing because NBC, both the studio and the local production here on the ground, has been stellar to work with," Dawson said. "They're some of the best people in the business, and we're just deeply saddened."

Constantinau said the cancellation, in some respects, underscores just how fortunate Hawai'i has been to get three (and potentially four, including "Rocky Point") network television series filmed here in one year.

"(The cancellation) is certainly a disappointment, because it really is a challenge to get shows to come here," she said. "But there is a law of attrition with television shows, and it's not a complete surprise that one of the three would not survive.

"It's the nature of the business, and that's why we need a robust industry," she said. "It's fortunate that we have an embarrassment of riches to fall back on this year. The fact that all three got the green light in the first place put us way ahead of the game."

With "Hawaii" getting the early hook, attention now turns to Fox's "North Shore," which has also struggled in the ratings.

The show is on hiatus until Nov. 4, when it moves from Mondays to Thursdays. Fox is hoping to jump-start the show by slotting it after last season's surprise hit, "The O.C.," to which it is often compared.

Fox gave "North Shore" a significant vote of confidence when it picked up the show for the rest of the season (and nine additional episodes). Still, there is a good chance the show might not return next year if it continues to flounder.

The late addition of Shannen Doherty to the cast (a la Heather Locklear on "Melrose Place") was supposed to draw in more of the show's target audience, but it hasn't happened yet. The last episode to air (on Sept. 27) drew a dismal 3.5/5 overnight rating. "North Shore" placed fifth in its time slot, behind ABC's "The Benefactor."
post #380 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

and one more "Hawaii" story:

Hawaii' gets canceled
after 8 episodes

The NBC police drama suffered from low ratings since its premiere last month

By Tim Ryan, Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

NBC bid aloha to the TV police drama "Hawaii" yesterday.

Last week, NBC executives told the TV show's producers that they could complete four more episodes even though the show was being taken off the air through November. But during the weekend, the network executives decided that the show was being canceled altogether.

The production was filming at its Mapunapuna sound stage yesterday morning when producers Jay Benson, Jeff Reiner and Francis Conway got the word from the network. The trio interrupted filming a few minutes later to tell cast and crew.

"The network said it's over, you're done, stop rolling the cameras," a production source said.

Cast members, production executives and crew stood together yesterday on set sharing tears, hugs, handshakes and alohas.

"This is a very sad day for us," a "Hawaii" staff member said. "We did our homework. We had cultural and technical advisers; we showed Hawaii beautifully; we became ohana."

Producer Conway said he was deeply saddened by the cancellation.

"I care about these people personally and professionally in a very special way," he said, adding that the show was fun.

"Hawaii" had struggled with poor ratings since its premiere last month.

NBC considered moving "Hawaii" to either Monday or Friday nights and away from its Wednesday-night slot against ABC's hit "Lost."

Co-star Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who played Capt. Harada, was pragmatic in his assessment of "Hawaii's" early departure.

"That's show biz," he said. "It may be traumatic ... but the bottom line is that these things happen every day in this business."

Tagawa had been critical of the show's writing.

The cancellation is also a disappointment to the Hawaii Film Office, which worked with NBC to get the show here and played a major role in getting the Mapunapuna sound stage.

"This production has been exemplary in every way as good neighbors," HFO manager Donne Dawson said. "They represent some of the best people in the industry."

"We obviously will talk with other productions to see what may be down the pike, but we don't know if the timing is right," Dawson said.

It will take about five weeks to break down the sets at the Mapunapuna sound stage, which NBC leased for a year beginning last May. The network spent about $1 million to retrofit the space and another $3 million to build sets for the show.

NBC will continue to pay the $57,000-a-month rent until the lease expires in May.

The cancellation also means loss of projected spending here. Each episode cost about $2.1 million, or more than $17 million for the already completed eight shows, about $10 million less than if all 13 episodes were filmed as scheduled.
post #381 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sinclair changes it's plans for the anti-Kerry programming.
From Mediaweek.com

Sinclair Pulls Back From Airing Anti-Kerry Doc
By Katy Bachman and Jim Cooper

Sinclair Broadcast Group on Tuesday released the details of a special one-hour news program that will air on Sinclair stations in 39 markets, report Katy Bachman and Jim Cooper of mediaweek.com.

The announcement contradicts previous reports that Sinclair stations would be airing in its entirety a controversial documentary called Stolen Honor: Wounds that Never Heal, which negatively portrays Sen. John Kerry's anti-war actions during the Vietnam war.

According to a statement from the company, Sinclair announced that a certain number of its stations on Friday, Oct. 22, 2004 at 8 p.m. will air a special one-hour news program, entitled A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media. In order to minimize the interruption of normally scheduled programming in those markets where Sinclair owns and/or programs more than one television station, the news special will be broadcast on only one of the stations.

The news special, according to the Sinclair statement, will focus in part on the use of documentaries and other media to influence voting, which emerged during the 2004 political campaigns, as well as on the content of certain of these documentaries. The program will also examine the role of the media in filtering the information contained in these documentaries, allegations of media bias by media organizations that ignore or filter legitimate news, and the attempts by candidates and other organizations to influence media coverage, the statement said.

Sinclair stations will not be airing the documentary Stolen Honor in its entirety. The company statement said it never publicly announced that it intended to do so.

While the news special will discuss the allegations surrounding Sen. John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities in the early 1970s raised by a number of former POWs in Stolen Honor, it will do so in the context of the broader discussion outlined above.

The program will be hosted by Jeff Barnd, the Emmy award-winning co-anchor of Fox 45's 10 News, which airs on WBFF-TV, Sinclair's flagship station in Baltimore.

The Sinclair announcement follows a week of acrimonious back-and-forth between the broadcaster, the Kerry Campaign, and Democratic and public-interest groups over whether Sinclair would be crossing the line of fairness if it aired "Stolen Honor."

Several advertisers expressed concern about running ads near the documentary and asked that spots be pulled or moved in order to avoid any fallout from the controversial film. Sinclair's stock price also dipped in the midst of the dispute and major shareholders complained to the company's board of directors.

Also, this week, Sinclair fired its Washington, D.C., bureau chief Jon Leiberman for publically challenging the journalistic integrity of the company if it aired the anti-Kerry documentary.

"The experience of preparing to air this news special has been trying for many of those involved," said David Smith, Sinclair president/CEO. "The company and many of its executives have endured personal attacks of the vilest nature, as well as calls on our advertisers and our viewers to boycott our stations and on our shareholders to sell their stock."
post #382 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

and one more "Hawaii" story:

Hawaii' gets canceled
after 8 episodes

Not really a surprise, I would like to see Aya Sumika in something though..

Or maybe nothing..

And I think Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is a good actor although his role on this show was pretty minor...

Jim
post #383 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I tend to agree keenan.
I thought some of the characters had possibilities, but the writing was second-rate at best.
And it seemed to me that the vast majority of the major characters could have been just as home in a police department in Denver, Des Moines, Detroit, or Dubuque as they were in Hawaii.
The HD scenery was really stunning, though.
But then I love Hawaii.
post #384 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A different take on the latest Sinclaior story from TV Week.com:

Sinclair Fires Back at Critics; Special to Air Oct. 22

By Michele Greppi, TV Week.com

Sinclair Broadcast Group took on its critics Tuesday as it announced the title, content and broadcast schedule for its controversial one-hour news program that has spurred protests and calls for boycotts of Sinclair stations and advertisers.

"A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media" will air at 8 p.m. (ET) Friday, Oct. 22 on some 40 of the 62 stations owned and/or programmed by Sinclair. In markets in which the station owns and/or programs more than one station, the program will air only on one station.

The announcement said the program will focus on attempts to influence voting via "documentaries and other media" and on the "content of certain of these documentaries."

According to the announcement, "The program will also examine the role of the media in filtering the information contained in these documentaries, allegations of media bias by media organizations that ignore or filter legitimate news and the attempts by candidates and other organizations to influence media coverage."

The announcement also took issue with the characterizations of its plans in "numerous inaccurate political and press accounts." It claimed that Sinclair, which is well-known for its conservative politics and contributions, had never said it planned to air in its entirety the documentary "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," in which Vietnam-era prisoners of war argue that Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's antiwar activities exacerbated their situations in captivity.

"A POW Story," which Sinclair describes as a news special, will discuss the "Stolen Honor" allegations in the context of the broader discussion suggested by the title. The program will be hosted by Jeff Barnd, news anchor of Sinclair flagship station WBFF-TV in Baltimore.

Sinclair News VP Joe DeFeo said, "We have not ceded, and will not in the future cede, control of our news reporting to any outside organization or political group. We are endeavoring, as we do with all of our news coverage, to present both sides of the issues covered in an equal and impartial manner."

According to the announcement, Sinclair "has been in private communication with Sen. Kerry's campaign, including a recent face-to-face meeting with senior campaign officials, for approximately two weeks in order to negotiate participation in the special by either Senator Kerry or his designee. Although the Kerry campaign declined to participate, Sinclair has left the invitation open and will make every effort to accommodate the Senator up to the air date for the program should he become willing to present his viewpoint for Sinclair's audience."

Sinclair CEO David Smith said in the announcement that "The experience of preparing to air this news special has been trying for many of those involved. The company and many of its executives have endured personal attacks of the vilest nature, as well as calls on our advertisers and our viewers to boycott our stations and on our shareholders to sell their stock."

Mr. Smith claimed, "We have received threats of retribution from a member of Sen. John Kerry's campaign and have seen attempts by leading members of Congress to influence the Federal Communications Commission to stop Sinclair from broadcasting this news special. Moreover, these coordinated attacks have occurred without regard to the facts since they predated the broadcast of our news special."

A complete list of stations carrying "A POW Story" can be found on Sinclair's Web site, www.sbgi.net.
post #385 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We have to remember this about network TV and its programs: pressure groups are always watching -- and more.
(From Cnn/Money.com)

ABC hit 'Housewives' losing sponsors
Under pressure from 'pro-family' groups upset over ABC's naughty new hit, some companies halt ads
(But others seem happy to get all those viewers)
By Krysten Crawford, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Walt Disney Co.'s best shot at reviving its sickly ABC network may have plenty of skin and sin, but "Desperate Housewives" also has fewer original advertisers than it did just a few weeks ago.

Tyson Foods, Lowe's Cos., and Kellogg have all aired spots on the weekly prime time soap that debuted late last month. And none plan to air any more.

Officials at two of the advertisers -- Arkansas-based Tyson Foods (up $0.16 to $15.15, Research) and North Carolina-based Lowe's Companies (down $0.11 to $56.40, Research) -- confirmed that the decision against buying more commercial time on "Desperate Housewives" was based on the hit show's cheeky script, which centers on a tony suburban neighborhood where four middle-aged women live in misery and a fifth who committed suicide narrates from the grave.

In all, five companies -- Tyson, Lowe's, Kellogg and frozen meal makers ConAgra Foods and Pinnacle Foods Group -- have come under attack in the last week by the American Family Association, a self-described "traditional family values" group that has over the years been a relentless critic of the entertainment industry.

Through two of its member Web sites, the American Family Association has rallied thousands of followers, who last week began inundating the e-mail servers and phone lines at Tyson, Lowe's and ConAgra.

Within hours, Lowe's and Tyson notified the association that they were pulling out of any future advertising on the show, said Randy Sharp, the special projects editor for the American Family Association and the editor of its OneMillionMoms.com and OneMillionDads.com

Gary Michaelson, a Tyson spokesman, said the company bought air time on one episode before deciding against purchasing more. "The show is not consistent with our core values, which focus on operating with integrity and trust in all we do," he said.

At Lowe's, the company did not know that Whirlpool, the largest U.S. home appliance maker whose ads feature the Lowe's logo, was a sponsor until an ad appeared on "Desperate Housewives."

Lowe's officials were not pleased.

"Our advertising guidelines are such that Lowe's chooses not to advertise in controversial programming, including programming with gratuitous sex and violence," said Chris Ahearn, Lowe's director of public relations. She said steps have since been taken to avoid a similar breach of company policy in the future.

Calls to ConAgra were not returned. Sharp claimed victory, however, noting that the Omaha, Neb.-maker of Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice and other packaged foods did not advertise on a recent episode of "Desperate Housewives." Sharp said ConAgra (Research) got about 36,000 e-mails last week from American Family Association members.

This week the association's membership set its sights on breakfast cereal maker Kellogg and Pinnacle Foods, the producer of Swanson frozen foods and Vlasic pickles. A Kellogg spokeswoman confirmed that the company, which aired one ad on "Desperate Housewives," is not planning to buy more commercial time on the show.

A call to Pinnacle Foods was not returned.

More bluff than bluster?

But there's reason to think the campaign against advertisers is much ado about nothing.

Headline-grabbing matchups like this can be a boon to networks because of the additional viewers who tune in just to see what all the fuss is about, said Steve Craig, a professor at the University of North Texas and an expert on controversial programming.

One oft-cited example is "Married...With Children," the parody of family life that ran on Fox from 1987 until 1997. When a Michigan housewife mounted a heavily-publicized boycott of the show, some companies that initially backed off from advertising later returned, lured by a ratings bump that coincided with the dustup.

"I don't think (Fox executives) were all that upset about the publicity," said Craig. And neither, he opined, are ABC officials today.

"Desperate Housewives" is already an overnight smash, ranked among the top prime time shows since its Sept. 26 premiere. The strong ratings are a key reason why television pundits say that ABC, bleeding money and stuck at No. 4 in prime time ratings, may finally be turning itself around.

One key measure: rates for a 30-second spot on the show have doubled, to roughly $300,000, since the initial round of ads were sold in May, two television advertising trade journals reported this week.

ABC officials sounded sanguine in a statement released to CNN/Money that proclaimed "Desperate Housewives" to be the TV season's No. 1 new show. "We are seeing tremendous demand from advertisers for the show," they said.

Sharp, the American Family Association official, acknowledged that the anti-"Desperate Housewives" campaign has so far targeted advertisers that seem susceptible to outside pressure.

"We usually look at the list of advertisers and we go (after) those that are considered family-friendly companies," said Sharp. "These folks know that moms buy their frozen products."

Sharp said he plans to keep the heat on ABC and not just because of "Desperate Housewives." Another ABC program that he says parents are complaining about: "Life As We Know It," a drama about three teenage boys described by ABC as "hormone-charged."

"The show is nothing but sex, sex, sex," said Sharp. "We're really looking hard at it."

The goods news for Sharp is, "Life As We Know It" has struggled in its Thursday night time slot opposite CBS and NBC's strong lineup. The bad news is, a little controversy might be exactly what the show -- and ABC -- is looking for. Top of page
post #386 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I thought some of the characters had possibilities, but the writing was second-rate at best.
The HD scenery was really stunning, though.

Yeah, I think part of the problem was too many characters.

Hawaii is a great place for a location though, although Lost takes place in a small area, it sure looks stunning.

Jim
post #387 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bye Bye, "Hawaii".
From the Honlulu Advertiser newspaper:

"Hawaii" did earn praise for attempting, however awkwardly, to represent the breadth of local lifestyles and traditions in its stories, and for hiring a large number of local actors, extras, and crew.

So which reporter was being lazy? Reports by Shales and others have bashed "Hawaii" for not hiring locals. That report added to my disinterest in the show, when comparing it with the great Five-O, for making an ethical move decades ago.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #388 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think "Hawaii" did hire a large number of actors and crew: but the actors weren't seen in major roles.
post #389 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think "Hawaii" did hire a large number of actors and crew: but the actors weren't seen in major roles.

No, in fact, the 2 times I watched it they always seemed to be the "bad guys"...

Jim
post #390 of 25503 Old 10-19-2004, 05:30 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

I bet The Simpsons and KOTH aren't considered "sitcoms" by syndication standards.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page