Hot Off The Press! The Latest Television News and Info - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 25503 Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I'm thinking that Fox -- a network that is devoid of nearly any meritorious programming in any genre -- might want to pick up House, which is at least a good show. Move it to a more appropriate time slot what with Idol coming, fine... But really keep it.

Given the microscopic ratings of Rebel Billionaire and the last start, it should say something that the show has found any viewers at all. Oh, and did I mention it actually seems pretty good?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm thinking that Fox -- a network that is devoid of nearly any meritorious programming in any genre -- might want to pick up House, which is at least a good show. Move it to a more appropriate time slot what with Idol coming, fine... But really keep it.

I watch House and I think it's the only Fox show on my PVR record list. But that recommendation from me tends to be the kiss of death for any show lasting a full season. Instead of using Nielsen they should save money by just calling me and canceling anything I watch.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #993 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
I agree about House, and it will hopefully benefit with a lead-out from American Idol starting next month.
And, in addition to House, there will be 24 -- so there will be two Fox shows to TiVo in our home.
post #994 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

'Gilligan's Island' as, well, literature
[b]It may seem a stretch but it endures in reruns[/B[
By Ed Robertson [b] medialifemagazine.com

With last week's premiere of The Real Gilligan's Island on TBS, and the strong viewership it pulled, someone who's never watched the original might assume the cable network was playing off one of the classic shows of an earlier decade.

The show was certainly a classic but not in the way one might think.

When the original Gilligan Island premiered on CBS in 1964, it was considered the emblem of everything that was wrong with television. The premise was inane, the writing sophomoric, and the lead character, played by Bob Denver, was a complete imbecile. TV critics and even network executives blasted the show.

Yet there was a disconnection at work. If viewers were listening to critics, they were ignoring what they heard. Gilligan was a top-20 hit, especially among younger viewers, in each of its first two seasons.

Embarrassed by the show's success, then-CBS programming head Jim Aubrey couldn't wait to cancel Gilligan. That opportunity came in 1967, when the ratings for the show, while still respectable, were in decline.

Gilligan was on the bubble, but so was Gunsmoke, the venerable western, which had just completed its 12th season on CBS.

For Aubrey, it was a no-brainer. He dumped Gilligan and moved Gunsmoke into the sitcom's Monday 7:30 p.m. timeslot. He figured the new timeslot would attract younger viewers to the aging western and that Gilligan would go quietly off into the sunset.

Aubrey was half right. Gunsmoke lasted another eight seasons but Gilligan did not fade from memory.

Quite the contrary, it found a whole new life in reruns, such that to this day it's still a huge hit in syndication. And in that time it has also ascended to become an indelible part of contemporary literature.

Yes, when you think about it, Gilligan's Island is literature in the truest sense of the word. It is that simply because it has survived, despite the critics and despite the uppitiness of TV executives who thought they knew better. It has survived as literature, if light literature, in the minds of the people who matter, TV viewers.

This is not to say it is Sophocles or Shakespeare, though in its slapstick it shares more with the latter than many would like to think.

Literature is that which resonates with people from generation to generation. It engages us in ways that bring us back to it, for one reason or another. We write about it, refer to it in conversation, and we keep it alive to the point where it becomes a permanent part of our culture.

That's what makes Gilligan's Island literature, beyond the show's earworm theme song or whether you prefer Ginger over Mary Ann.

It's also a lot more literary than one might think. Series creator Sherwood Schwartz, a well-read man, originally saw Gilligan as a social microcosm of the modern world, and he intended it to touch on timeless literary themes.

One is the notion of tossing complete strangers and opposites into challenging situations to see how they react. This has become a staple of reality TV, most notably with CBS's "Survivor" but no less with TBS's The Real Gilligan's Island, which represents a completed circle.

The idea of placing people in difficult situations to see whether they rise, becoming greater creatures, heroes in a classic sense, is a theme running through great literature for thousands of years.

The shipwreck on "Gilligan's Island" forces the characters to adapt to their new environment and work together to survive. Defoe wrote about this in "Robinson Crusoe," as did James Barrie in "The Admirable Crichton." Countless films and television shows before and since Gilligan have also explored this idea, from "Paradise Lagoon" to "Lost."

Just as [the castaways on Gilligan'] had to learn to get along with each other, that's how the countries of the world eventually are going to have to get along with each other, Schwartz told author Sylvia Stoddard in "A Companion Guide to Gilligan's Island" (St. Martin's, 1996).

Now, that was never openly stated when I originally pitched the idea to the networks, but with comedy you can sometimes have a subliminal message, Schwartz said. That really was the message of the show.

This sort of social awareness, though lost on critics, pops up in other places. The ship, S.S. Minnow, was named after then-FCC chairman Newton Minow, who in 1962 so famously blasted television as a vast wasteland, a mindless procession of game shows, violence, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, cartoons, endless commercials, and most of all, boredom.

Minow's comments were fresh on Schwartz's mind when he began developing Gilligan in 1963. A witty man who established himself as a writer on The Red Skelton Show, Schwartz couldn't resist naming the ship after the FCC chairman, knowing full well that his show represented everything Minow was railing against.

Finally, it's important to remember that Gilligan's Island was a product of a time, and it was a time when expectations for TV were quite low. Most people saw television as a temporary escape from the troubles of the workaday world.

Gilligan may have been simple-minded, but so were a lot of other shows in 1964: Bewitched, My Favorite Martian, Andy Griffith, Petticoat Junction and McHale's Navy.

It was a time of great upheaval in this country, when people were still in shock over the assassination of JFK. Vietnam was building, and the Civil Rights Movement was in full swing. TV was called the boob tube but not entirely derisively.

Gilligan's Island is still here to remind us of that time.
post #995 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com)
Primetime Ratings for Thursday Oct. 28th

Thursday 12/09/04
Primetime Wednesday Ratings:

ABC a Solid No. 1;
The Billboard Music Awards on Fox Down Considerably

Metered Market Ratings

Household Rating/Share
ABC: 11.0/16
NBC: 9.8/15
CBS: 7.0/10
Fox: 4.7/ 7
UPN: 3.6/ 5
WB: 3.2/ 5

Percent Change From Comparable Year-Ago Night (Wed. 12/20/03):
UPN: +64
WB: +14
CBS: +11
ABC: + 2
NBC: + 1
Fox: -28

Fast Affiliate Ratings

Total Viewers:
ABC: 15.61 million
NBC: 12.10
CBS: 9.81
Fox: 6.73
UPN: 4.08
WB: 3.45

Adults 18-49:
ABC: 5.7/15
NBC: 3.5/ 9
CBS: 3.4/ 9
Fox: 3.1/ 8
UPN: 2.0/ 5
WB: 1.5/ 4

Yesterday's Winners:
Lost (ABC)
Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2004 (ABC)
Law & Order (NBC)

Yesterday's Losers:
A Clay Aiken Christmas (NBC)
The 2004 Billboard Music Awards (Fox)

Ratings Breakdown:
Although bookends Lost and Wife Swap means ABC is back on the Wednesday map this season, the addition of annual Barbara Walters Special: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2004 at 9 p.m. only added to the network's considerable victory. Lost (12.4/19; Viewers: 18.85 million; A18-49: 7.1/20) and the Barbara Walters special (12.1/17; Viewers: 16.43 million; A18-49: 5.4/14) ranked No. 1 in all three categories from 8-10 p.m., while the addictive Wife Swap (#2, 8.5/13; Viewers: #3, 11.56 million; A18-49: #2, 4.7/13) was second in the overnights and adults 18-49 behind NBC's Law & Order (12.7/20; Viewers: 15.75 million; A18-49: 5.0/14). CBS' CSI: NY (#3: 8.2/13; Viewers: #2, 11.78 million; A18-49: #3, 4.5/12) was a repeat yesterday.

As a reminder, total viewers and adults 18-49 are based on the fast affiliate ratings.

Second in the overnights behind Lost (which does not cease to amaze me, by the way, given the constant plot curve balls) was NBC special A Clay Aiken Christmas (6.4/ 9), followed by CBS' 60 Minutes (6.3/10). A Clay Aiken Christmas, which could be used as a cure for insomnia if you taped it, was fourth among adults 18-49 with a 2.0/ 5. Note: 60 Minutes aired in only 43-metered markets due to preemptions caused by Billy Graham and St. Jude's.

On Fox, the 2004 Billboard Music Awards sprung a leak, dipping to a record low 4.7/ 7 in the overnights, 6.73 million viewers and a 3.1/ 8 among adults 18-49. Comparably, that was a decline of 28 percent in the overnights, 3.08 million viewers and 33 percent among adults 18-49 from last year's telecast (6.5/10; Viewers: 9.81 million; A18-49: 4.6/12 on Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2003). Note: viewers and adults 18-49 for last year's Billboard Music Awards were based on the final nationals.

On the WB, a two-hour repeat of Smallville (#6, 3.2/ 5; A18-49: #6, 1.5/ 4) trailed UPN's combination of America's Next Top Model (#4, 4.5/ 7; A18-49: #3, 2.4/ 7) and a repeat of Kevin Hill (#6: 2.6/ 4; A18-49: #6,1.5/ 4) by an average of 11 percent in the overnights and 25 percent among adults 18-49.

At 9 p.m., although NBC's rejuvenated The West Wing (#2, 10.3/15; Viewers: #2, 12.35 million; A18-49: #3, 3.7/ 7) beat CBS' combination of King of Queens (#3, 6.8/10; Viewers: #3, 10.12 million; A18-49: #2, 4.0/10) and Center of the Universe (#3: 5.6/ 8; Viewers: #3, 8.79 million; A18-49: #2, 3.7/ 9) by an average of 66 percent in the overnights and 2.9 million viewers, the CBS comedies had an advantage of 4 percent among adults 18-49.

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

Ratings Box: What's Hot/What's Not

Noggin Posts Increases:
Noggin, the commercial-free, educational network for kids 2-5, will end 2004 as the highest rated year in the network's history, with growth of 60 percent in the target demographic. Noggin has delivered 11 straight months of double-digit ratings growth in 2004, with November reaching a new zenith at a 1.7 rating.

The Nanny Reunion Scores on Lifetime:
Monday night's The Nanny Reunion: A Nosh to Remember on Lifetime averaged a solid 3.0 household rating with 3.6 million viewers from 8-9 p.m. -- the cable network's second highest rated special ever. The top-rated special on Lifetime remains The Golden Girls Reunion, with a 3.7 rating and 4.2 million viewers.

Speaking of The Nanny Reunion:
Bringing in guest star Danny "The Partridge Family" Bonaduce in place of Daniel "Niles" Davis was as dumb as Niles marrying barracuda C.C. What was that fashion girl from Flushing thinking?

Top-Rated Dr. Phil and Tony Danza Show:
Based on ratings for the week of Nov. 22, King World's Dr. Phil scored a 5.9 household rating, equaling its all-time best, while Buena Vista's The Tony Danza Show perked up to a series-high 1.5. Also worth noting was a season-high 1.2 for NBC Universal's Starting Over.

More Than 100 People Found on Missing:
Missing, the half-hour syndicated weekly from Telco Productions that features actual cases of missing individuals across the country, has now found more than 100 people. Assisted by local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, each episode of the series features interviews with friends, family and investigators involved with the cases. Coming up from Telco in Sept. 2005: This Week in Real Estate, a syndicated weekly showcasing homes for sale in a particular city. For more information, contact Alex Paen at 310/828-4003.

CBS and NBC Share the No. 1 Spot on Tuesday:
Although CBS' combination of NCIS, The Amazing Race 6 and Judging Amy was more than enough to score another Tuesday win in households and total viewers, old faithful Law & Order: SVU at 10 p.m. led NBC to victory among adults 18-49. Worth noting: Annual holiday special A Charlie Brown Christmas, now on ABC, led the 8 p.m. hour among adults 18-49, followed by NBC's The Biggest Loser (3.9/10), CBS' NCIS (3.4/ 9) and Fox reality dud The Rebel Billionaire: Branson's Quest for the Best.

Speaking of NCIS, did you know that year-to-year Paramount's underrated JAG spin-off is up by 2.03 million viewers, 25 percent in adults 18-49 and 17 percent in adults 25-54? It's one of the fastest growing shows in primetime.
post #996 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Originally posted by trbarry
Instead of using Nielsen they should save money by just calling me and canceling anything I watch.

- Tom

LOL .... Add me to that call list
post #997 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Cable Penetration at 10-Year Low

Mediaweek.com December 09, 2004 ---Direct broadcast satellite continues to gain at wired cable's expense.

According to a Television Bureau of Advertising analysis of Nielsen Media Research data for November 2004, satellite penetration reached 19.2 percent, up from 18.2 percent a year ago. Over the same period, wired cable lost 300,000 subscribers, pushing penetration down to 66.4 percent, the lowest its been since December 1994.

Penetration of alternative delivery systems to wired cable, of which satellite is the largest component, is now at 22.7 percent of all subscription television customers.
post #998 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cable Penetration at 10-Year Low

A frustrated Mrs. Cable could not be reached for comment.

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #999 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The lists of shows on hiatus, shows in ratings trouble, cancelled shows, and mid-season replacements have all been updated (at the bottom of the Latest News post).
post #1000 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bill Moyers retiring From TV journalism

NEW YORK The Associated Press--"I was just in the editing room, working on the last piece," Bill Moyers says. "I thought: 'I've done this so many times, and each one is as difficult as the last one.' Maybe finally I've broken the habit."

It hasn't been so much a habit for Moyers as a truth-telling mission during his three decades as a TV journalist. But come next week, he will sign off from Now, the weekly PBS newsmagazine he began in 2002, as, at age 70, he retires from television.

"I'm going out telling the story that I think is the biggest story of our time: how the right-wing media has become a partisan propaganda arm of the Republican National Committee," says Moyers. "We have an ideological press that's interested in the election of Republicans, and a mainstream press that's interested in the bottom line. Therefore, we don't have a vigilant, independent press whose interest is the American people."

For that, his absence after the Dec. 17 Now will be all the more keenly felt: Moyers' interest has always been the American people.

A humanist who's at home with subjects ranging from the power of myth to media consolidation, from drug addiction to modern dance, from religion to environmental abuse, Moyers has produced hundreds of hours of diverse programming on issues that others shortchange, sidestep or simply fail to notice. And through it all, he has looked upon his audience not as targeted consumers, or as voters split along a Red State-Blue State divide, but as his fellow citizens.

He's a citizen-journalist with a robust background, this Texas native who, early on, earned a divinity degree (he's an ordained Baptist minister) then served as special assistant to President Johnson, and for several years was publisher of the Long Island newspaper Newsday.

In 1971, he came to public television as host of This Week and Bill Moyers' Journal, and, next, joined CBS News to do similarly civic-minded programming.

Then in 1986 he and his wife, Judith Davidson Moyers, became their own bosses by forming Public Affairs Television, an independent shop that has not only produced documentaries such as A Walk Through the 20th Century,Healing and the Mind and A Gathering of Men with Robert Bly, but also paid for them through its own fund-raising efforts.

"Judith and I will take several months to catch our breath," says Moyers during a recent conversation at the soon-to-be-vacated office he rents at Thirteen/WNET's Manhattan headquarters. "Then I will think about the Last Act capital L, capital A of my life."

He does have one immediate project: a book he will write about his years with Johnson. But he has no TV ventures in mind.

With his days at Now ticking down, Moyers voices pride in that series, which, upon its premiere three years ago, he envisioned as "a flexible format for ideas and conversation, reportage and debate." Now reaching 2.4 million viewers weekly with its breaking-news currency and contemplative pace, Now will continue with his worthy co-host, David Brancaccio, taking over. (It airs Fridays at 8:30 p.m. ET; check local listings.)

"It has gained traction," says Moyers if only by default, in an era where most TV journalism gravitates toward the sensational or trivial. "As the networks have raced to the bottom, it is very easy to stand out if you just do good journalism. We've been trying to do good journalism, and it filled a real void."

One example of typically good journalism on Now not long ago: an in-depth look at the record of President Bush's nominee for secretary of state, Condoleeza Rice, who in her current post as national security adviser "dreadfully misjudged the terrorist threat leading up to 9/11, and then misled America and the world about the case for invading Iraq," as Moyers concluded.

It was the sort of report unlikely to be found on most newscasts, and even less likely to endear a reporter to the powers-that-be, on whose good graces the media has grown all too reliant. But Moyers believes that challenging those in power is a journalist's duty and, consequently, his.

"What they're really objecting to is not my ideology," he says in his thoughtful, almost pastoral manner. "I'd be doing this if the Democrats were in power. It's not that I'm a liberal, it really isn't. It's the fact that I'm doing journalism that isn't determined by the establishment.

"You don't get rewarded in commercial broadcasting for trying to tell the truth about the institutions of power in this country," he goes on. "I think my peers in commercial television are talented and devoted journalists, but they've chosen to work in a corporate mainstream that trims their talent to fit the corporate nature of American life. And you do not get rewarded for telling the hard truths about America in a profit-seeking environment."

Through his own devices, Moyers has been the journalist he wanted to be, while honored for it with more than 30 Emmys and 10 Peabody awards.

"I've just been doing the kind of journalism that ought to be done, IF you had the opportunity to do it," he insists. "The fight has been to create that opportunity and that independence."

It's been a fight he fought well. But where will tomorrow's Bill Moyers come from?

"We have got to nurture the spirit of independent journalism in this country," he warns in reply, "or we'll not save capitalism from its own excesses, and we'll not save democracy from its own inertia."
post #1001 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Drew Carey's Green Screen is listed for hiatus and cancelled but should only be listed under hiatus as it is still in production.
post #1002 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Reagan
A frustrated Mrs. Cable could not be reached for comment.

LOL

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #1003 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Embarrassed by the show's success, then-CBS programming head Jim Aubrey couldn't wait to cancel Gilligan. That opportunity came in 1967, when the ratings for the show, while still respectable, were in decline.

As far as I can tell the people running the networks then were absolute clueless idiots who got a no-brainer of a job-- have a successful network when you were one of only 3 things to watch on TV. How else can you explain canceling a successful show, as bad as Gilligan was? How can you explain cancelling Star Trek, a show with high ratings that was one of the best shows ever made?

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #1004 of 25503 Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

'Today' streak rolls on but ayemer 'GMA' gains
Leno beats out Letterman in key demo
By MICHAEL LEARMONTH Variety.com

NEW YORK -- NBC's "Today" took its 36th straight sweeps title in November and is closing in on its ninth year in the lead, but as in the latenight derby, the competition for top ayem show is getting tighter.

ABC's "Good Morning America," posted its largest audience since 1992 and narrowed the gap between it and the dominant "Today" to 740,000 total viewers, the smallest margin since "Today" took the morning crown in 1995.

Last year the margin between "Today" and "GMA" stood at 1.3 million viewers.

"GMA" also managed to cut the "Today" lead in the key adults 25-54 demo by 20%, with 630,000 viewers separating the two programs.

"Today" finished November sweeps averaging 6.1 million viewers, "GMA" had 5.4 million, and CBS' "The Early Show" finished with 3 million.

While remaining a distant third, "The Early Show" gained 96,000 viewers, or 3%, in the first 11 weeks of the season, while "Today" lost 275,000 viewers, or 4%, and "GMA" gained 106,000 viewers, or 2%.

"Early Show" audience was at its highest level in total viewers in 10 years.

NBC was also dominant in late night, with "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" delivering a 17% margin over "The Late Show With David Letterman" in the key demographic of adults 18-49.

But CBS' "Letterman" is closing the gap, finishing the November sweeps up 10% in total viewers from last year and turning in its best sweeps in total viewers since 1994.

"Letterman" finished in the show's closest competitive position to "Leno" in adults 25-54 since 1994 and in adults 18-34 and 18-49 since 2001.

Show has beaten or tied "Leno" in 25-54 and 18-49 in seven of the last eight Monday nights.

On Sunday mornings, NBC's "Meet the Press With Tim Russert" turned in an average audience of 4.5 million total viewers during the November sweep, a 12% increase over last year.

CBS' second place "Face the Nation" stayed flat from last year, while ABC's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" grew 3% in total viewers and Fox Broadcasting's "Fox News Sunday" dropped 5%.
post #1005 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com)
Primetime Thursday Ratings: Thursday 12/09/04

Household Rating/Share
CBS: 15.3/23
NBC: 12.1/18
Fox: 4.0/ 6
UPN: 4.0/ 6
ABC: 3.9/ 6
WB: 2.1/ 3

Percent Change From Comparable Year-Ago Night (Thurs Dec. 11 2003):
NBC: + 6
CBS: - 1
UPN: - 5
Fox: no change
WB: -22
ABC: -28

Fast Affiliate ratings

Total Viewers:
CBS: 23.10 million
NBC: 14.76
Fox: 5.19
UPN: 5.13
ABC: 5.02
WB: 2.51

Adults 18-49:
CBS: 8.2/21
NBC: 6.7/17
Fox: 2.3/ 6
UPN: 1.9/ 5
ABC: 1.6/ 4
WB: 0.9/ 2

Yesterday's Winners: Survivor: Vanuatu (CBS)
CSI (CBS)
Without A Trace (CBS)
ER (NBC)

Yesterday's Losers:
Joey (NBC)
Extreme Makeover (ABC)
life as we know it (ABC)
North Shore (Fox)
The 6th Annual Family TV Awards (WB)
Primetime Live (ABC)

Ratings Breakdown:
Thanks to its combination of Survivor: Vanuatu (#1: 11.8/18; Viewers: #1, 20.27 million; A18-49: #1, 7.7/21), CSI (#1: 20.0/29; Viewers: #1, 29.68 million; A18-49: #1, 10.7/26) and Without A Trace (#2, 14.1/22; Viewers: #1, 19.34 million; A18-49: #2, 6.5/17), CBS scored another solid Thursday victory, beating No. 2 NBC by an average of 26 percent in the overnights, 8.34 million viewers and 22 percent among adults 18-49.

NBC's fortunes continue to worsen in the Thursday 8 p.m. hour, with an original episode of Joey (#2: series low 8.8/13; A18-49: #2, series low 3.9/11) trailing a repeat of former occupant Friends on the year-ago night (11.1/17; A18-49: 6.5/19 on Dec. 11, 2003) by 21 percent in the overnights and 40 percent among adults 18-49. Almost as bad: lead-out Will & Grace (#2: 8.6/13; A18-49: #2, 4.3/11 at 8:30 p.m.), which trailed former failed occupant Good Morning, Miami (8.6/12; A18-49: 5.3/14 on Dec. 11, 2003) by 19 percent among adults 18-49.

Better news for NBC were typical results for The Apprentice 2 (#2: 13.2/19; A18-49: #2, 7.7/19) and ER (#1: 14.4/22; A18-49: #1, 8.4/22) from 9-11 p.m. Although ER may be down, it's certainly not out.

In the battle of the audience leftovers, and there was very little remaining, ABC's line-up of Extreme Makeover (#4: 4.8/ 8; A18-49: #4, 1.9/ 5), life as we know it (#5: 2.8/ 4; #5, 1.3/ 3) and Primetime Live (#3: 4.3/ 6; A18-49: #3, 1.7/ 5) all landed in the loser's circle. Luckily spoiled Kelly Osbourne has her MTV reality series to fall back on.

Although Fox's The O.C. (#3: 5.1/ 8; A18-49: #3, 2.9/ 8) got some sampling at 8 p.m., particularly with younger females, lead-out North Shore (#3: 2.9/ 4; A18-49: #4, 1.7/ 4 at 9 p.m.) is begging to be put out of its misery. Over at UPN, WWE Smackdown! averaged a typical 4.0/ 6 with a 1.9/ 5 among adults 18-49 from 8-10 p.m., while The 6th Annual Family TV Awards on the WB at 9 p.m. (#6: 1.6/ 4; A18-49: #6, 0.6/ 2) could very well end up the lowest rated show of the week. Earlier in the evening, a repeat of WB holiday special, Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer was also last, but at a higher 2.8/ 4 in the overnights and a 1.1/ 3 among adults 18-49.

And Then There Were Four: (Survivor)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

With bland Julie voted off yesterday (smart move Chris, given that no one is likely to vote for Twila), that leaves perky Eliza, useless Scout, lucky Chris and grating Twila as the final four on Survivor: Vanuatu. Assuming Scout and Twila do not stand a chance, if Eliza and Chris make it into the final two, my pick to take it all is Chris because of the likely votes from Sarge, Chad, Scout and Twila. The last thing Eliza should have done at this point was alienate Twila. If it's either Chris or Eliza in the final two against Scout or Twila, both are shoo-ins to win. If I were voting for a winner: Eliza, given that Chris should have been voted off in episode one after blowing the first immunity challenge.

And Then There Were Two: Apprentice 2)
Spoiler  

After weeks of wondering why overrated Kevin lasted this long on The Apprentice 2, I was happy, thrilled and delighted - all of the above - to see the argumentative scholar finally get the axe. Given we all knew under-the-radar Kelly would make it into the final two, Jennifer's mouth managed to keep her in the game over the equally worthy Sandy. My pick to be hired: Jennifer because Kelly is too reminiscent of first winner Bill Ransic.
post #1006 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A few months ago, someone asked about the ratings for Pax.
The numbers aren't readily available on a daily basis (at least from the sources I have access to) but here is a story on how the network is doing so far this season.

Despite new shows, PAX TV tumbles
Ratings are half of what they were a year ago
By Laura Nathan medialifemagazine.com
Last spring, its cash flow looking much improved, PAX TV announced plans to invest in 10 new shows, including three reality series, in the 2004-2005 season. In a May press release, PAX TV advised all to expect the unexpected.

It just seemed logical that after bumping along mostly on infomercials and reruns of such shows as Bob Saget's America's Funniest Home Videos, the network devoted to advancing family values in television was about to see a boost in ratings from its enriched schedule of original programming.

Not so. Quite the opposite, in fact. PAX TV's ratings have actually taken a tumble, and a severe one.
In its season-to-date ratings a year ago at this time, PAX averaged a 0.2/1 among 18-49s. That average has been cut in half to a 0.1/0. The same is true in the persons 2+ category. The 0.4/1 PAX was averaging a year ago is now a 0.2/1.

The same thing has happened with households, with a 0.7/1 slipping to an 0.4/1.

How is this possible with PAX's 10 new shows and its entry, albeit late, into reality television with Cold Turkey, Model Citizen and Second Verdict?

It appears that some of those shows never got on the air, including the two new dramas, Young Blades and Left Behind. Also absent from the schedule is the variety show The Magicians. Just why is impossible to say. PAX TV did not return calls to Media Life requesting an update on its primetime schedule and ratings data.

But some of the shows did make it to the air and they should be helping the network. One is Faith Under Fire, hosted by Lee Strobel, which targets the network's family values contingent with its discussion of spiritual controversies.

Other shows ought to be helping simply because of the big names behind them. Frasier's Kelsey Grammer is producing the improvisational comedy show World Cup Comedy, which began airing this season. And Temptation Island's Mark Walberg hosts the network's new game show On the Cover, while Turkey is executive-produced by Average Joe creator Stuart Krasnow.

But how well any of them has done is impossible to discern. None has broken into the top-100 of Nielsen ratings, and apparently PAX is reluctant to talk about them, judging by their not returning calls to Media Life.

PAX, which owns some 6o TV stations around the country, got a major investor in 1999 when NBC acquired a 32 percent interest in the company. But it was a troubled partnership and in late 2003, NBC moved to dissolve the relationship, demanding that PAX refund its entire investment of some $600 million. The dispute is now in the courts.
post #1007 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

fredfa, please please put the "And Then There Were Four" and "And Then There Were Two" stories in spoiler tags for both the page #1 and page #53 posts of it. I almost found out who got kicked off The Apprentice (recorded the episode).
post #1008 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 320
fred, have you checked your PM?
post #1009 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, and while I see your point, keenan (repeats, but no new episodes of "Lost" until late February means the show should be listed in the "Hiatus" listings), it isn't, technically, on hiatus.
ABC is going to repeat the first ten episodes and then, when they have new episodes filmed, pick up with # 11.
In reality, though the delay will madden the millions of "Lost" fans, it might well make the franchise even stronger because new episodes will be broadcast without interruption through the May sweeps.
In most cases hiatus means a show is destined for cancellation, and has been pulled from the schedule entirely.

(And thanks both for sending and for noting your PM, keenan...I check them rather irregularly some times!)
post #1010 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think it's a pretty bold move on ABC's part, a serial style show like this with a 10 week break, but I guess that is to be expected since it is brand new and enough episodes were not in the can. Two friends have already told that they will probably have lost interest 10 weeks from now, the ratings will tell the story though...
post #1011 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think that just goes to show how in disarray ABC is....how could they let this happen when the ratings were good from week one?
post #1012 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Alias Wants Rossellini Back

(scifi.com)Isabella Rossellini told SCI FI Wire that she's been asked to reprise her role as Katya on ABC's spy drama Alias, which kicks off a fourth season in January. "They called me the other day to see if I was available in January, so I hope they'll make me kill someone else soon," Rossellini said in an interview. "I did say that I was available, so hopefully [it will work out]."

Rossellini guest-starred three times last season as Katya, the sister of Irina Derevko (Lena Olin). In her first episode, "Crossings," Katya informed Jack (Victor Garber) that Sydney (Jennifer Garner) was still alive, and offered to do everything in her power to save Sydney, so long as Jack agreed to kill Sloane (Ron Rifkin). Later, Katya tried to kill Sydney and made romantic advances toward Jack.

"My character is pretty mysterious, and we're all very devious," Rossellini said. "So the moment you think you get your character'I'm bad at this, but good at that'uh-uh. The next script arrives, and you're betraying [someone]. We're meaner than the public can even imagine."

Rossellini added that playing so mysterious and devious a character wasn't unusual or difficult, as she's played dark characters before. But she said that perpetrating Katya's brand of violence did not come easily. "I had to take my chopsticks and put them [through] somebody's hands," Rossellini said, referring to a scene in "Crossings." "There were all these special effects, and I wasn't hurting the person, but even just doing it I flinched a little bit. So the director said to me, 'Isabella, you have the accent. If you get the violence, you can be governor. So go. Go for it.' They're a great bunch of people. [Executive producer] J.J. Abrams and Jennifer Garner, they're so great. It's fun to be with them." Alias begins its new season with a two-hour premiere on Jan. 5 and moves to a new timeslot, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT, following Abrams' other hit series, Lost.
post #1013 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree, one, they did not expect the response they've had for the show, two, I think the original order was for only 6-11 episodes, so I am sure now that the show appears to be soaring the production has to be ramped up again, during the holiday season which is probably no small task. It wouldn't surprise me if little things about the show were just a little different when it returns...

ABC best not blow this one...there are doing so well this season, it would be a shame..
post #1014 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Of course the added effect (if veiwership should suffer with all the repeats) is that "Alias" will get a smaller lead-in.
I just can't figure out how the ABC suits didn't figure out as olution to this problem eight weeks ago.
post #1015 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fredfa
I think that just goes to show how in disarray ABC is....how could they let this happen when the ratings were good from week one?

My guess.....Feburary sweeps perhaps???? I smell the same thing coming for Desperate Housewives...Hope not!!

100% Digital household since 2001
post #1016 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

But they don't plan to have "Lost" back on the schedule until the last week of the February sweeps.
Curious, to say the least.
post #1017 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, this programming for sweeps is really starting to wear on me, it's as if there is really no responsibility to the viewer at all, they've put the money making aspect of TV right out in the open with no excuses...I don't know, it just bugs me, I enjoy being naive about some things and TV viewing is one of them...
post #1018 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by fredfa
But they don't plan to have "Lost" back on the schedule until the last week of the February sweeps.
Curious, to say the least.

I think it will take that long to replay all the episodes, I'm guessing they might be looking to bring in new viewers to add to the current ones...a gamble, but who knows..
post #1019 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And despite all that, amazingly, the networks for the first time ever, were outrated by cable channels last month.
And, given the decisions networks have made over the past couple of decades, I guess it is hard to understand what took so long.
post #1020 of 25503 Old 12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yup!!!
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page