AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
TV Critics Summer Press Tour
Fox Beefing Up Foreign Coverage

By Ben Grossman Broadcasting & Cable 7/24/2006

Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes says his organization is beefing up foreign coverage as international conflicts continue to intensify, but he doesn't see his proposed cable business network going forward in 2006.

We are beefing up our foreign coverage, not cutting it back, Ailes says.

Ailes also says he likes the idea of having anchors in the field as well as reporters.

I am anxious to put all our anchors and reporters out there to cover it, he says of the current conflict in the Middle East.

Regarding the business channel, he told reporters there was no update on its progress.

It probably wont happen this year, he says. After that it could happen, and we are in active negotiations.

Ailes says that gaining enough carriage for the network to make financial sense continues to be the obstacle to a launch.

When we have the distribution in place, we will go ahead, he says. We are still looking at it. I have developed a business plan; we haven't pushed it any further than that.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ABC Decides It Makes Strategic Sense to Try to Crush Emmys Like a Bug -- Squish!

By Ray Richmond The Hollywood Reporter in his blog Past Deadline July 25, 2006

So it seems that ABC -- its feelings hurt after "Lost" and '"Desperate Housewives" got shut out of Emmy nominations in the big categories -- has decided to adopt a strategy of, "If you can't join 'em, beat 'em!". In its knee-jerk wisdom, the network will now counterprogram the Emmys the night of Aug. 27 by tossing on the broadcast of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" opposite the annual telecast on NBC.

This naturally obliterates the unwritten rule that you simply don't try to beat a program that after all is honoring some of your own. Despite the "Lost" and "Housewives" snubs, ABC still has "Grey's Anatomy" up for outstanding drama, Sandra Oh ("Grey's Anatomy') and Candice Bergen ("Boston Legal") duking it out for supporting drama actress and "Dancing With the Stars" in the running for the reality-competition prize, among many others. ABC hauled in 63 total Emmy noms, more than any other broadcast network. For those of you keeping score, this hardly represents a complete and total diss.

But with apologies to women, Hell obviously hath no fury like a network entertainment president scorned. ABC's Stephen McPherson was mad as all get-out and somebody was gonna have to pay, dammit! He made no secret of his being upset at the way the nominations went down and obviously decided to lash out, using "Pirates" not as, say, a sweepstime ratings generator but an object of revenge. Good business decision there Steve-O, blowing off one of your few valuable theatricals in late August. As long as the Emmys suffer for their perceived sins, evidently, it's all good.

What McPherson may be missing here -- in fact, what I'm pretty much positive he's not getting -- is that this doesn't represent any kind of payback with the TV Academy. All he's really doing is punishing his own network's nominees while at the same time showing his contempt for the competition. It's not the kind of thing that's likely to engender goodwill with anyone. And here's a prediction: once this petulant snit subsides, McPherson will come to his senses and change his mind for the good of his nominees, his network, his bottom line...and his reputation.

http://www.pastdeadline.com/
post #13863 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Fox's Liguori chastens FCC

By Nellie Andreeva The Hollywood Reporter July 25, 2006

PASADENA -- As Fox, CBS and NBC are locked into a legal battle with the FCC over the commission's indecency rules, Fox's entertainment president Peter Liguori had some harsh words for the media regulators on Monday.

"The FCC rules create a chilling effect on creativity," he said during Fox's portion of Television Critics Assn.'s summer press tour. "The rules are murky and none of (broadcast networks') business plans are designed to handle such huge fines."

Fox's record proposed fine of $1.18 million for the reality series "Married by America" was eclipsed earlier this year by the $3.6 million sanction proposed for CBS' drama "Without a Trace."

In what has become a recurring theme at this press tour, Fox joined the club of underdogs on Thursday night.

"There's no doubt about it -- it is going to be one monster competitive night on television," Liguori said of Thursday night, which will see ABC's powerhouse "Grey's Anatomy" go head to head with CBS' "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" at 9 p.m. "Everyone is an underdog," he added.

The network is easing its way into the killer Thursday 9 p.m. time slot with "Celebrity Duets," a singing competition which will air in the time period in the fourth quarter.

On Monday, Fox announced 13 of the professional singers to be partnered with amateur singing celebrities, including Cyndi Lauper, Smokey Robinson, Dionne Warwick, Brian McKnight, Macy Gray, Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, Richard Marx and Michael Bolton.

Liguori credited the network's hit reality series "American Idol" and especially the appearance of Prince in the show's most recent season finale for "opening the door" for big-name singers to take part in reality singing competitions.

Because of the huge success of "Idol," Liguori said he was a surprised by how poorly ABC's summer singing competition, "The One," has performed. Given how vocal ABC entertainment president Stephen McPherson has been about Fox's reality guru Mike Darnell's penchant for creating copycats of other networks' formats, including ABC's "Wife Swap" and "Supernanny," Liguori threw a salvo at his ABC counterpart over "The One," an "Idol" lookalike.

"I think McPherson owes Mike an apology," Liguori told reporters after the session.

To promote "Duets," Fox has used its successful summer reality shows "So You Think You Can Dance," which will conclude its run with a two-part season finale on Aug. 9 and Aug. 16, and "Hell's Kitchen." Both series have been picked up for a third season, the network announced Monday.

"The O.C." is slated to return to the Thursday 9 p.m. slot in November with an order for 16 episodes to run through the end of March.

While Liguori said he thinks the "O.C." loyalists will stick with the show in the face of fierce competition and an order for more episodes is possible, the network also is working on contingency plans, looking at the drama pilots "Drive" and "Beyond" as well as several reality concepts to fill the time slot come April.

Liguori also talked about the importance of having plans for how to wrap up serialized dramas that don't go the distance. At the other networks' presentations the past week, the network's "Reunion" was often used as an example of a canceled serialized drama that didn't have a proper conclusion and thus might deter viewers from investing in serialized dramas in the future.

"I think the audience deserves some closure," Liguori said.

Also on Monday, Fox announced celebrity couple du jour Jessica Simpson and Dane Cook will host "Teen Choice 2006," which will air on the network Aug. 20.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002878518
post #13864 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Monday's network prime-time ratings are now at the top of RATINGS NEWS (the first post in this thread).
post #13865 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Overnights in the 18-49 Demo
Digging deeper on 'Treasure Hunters'

NBC 'Amazing Race' wannabe sinks further
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer Jul 25, 2006

When a TV concept catches, you can count on a handful of imitators popping up immediately on other networks. This summer, those wannabes have proven that viewers won't stand for substitutes. Two shows that mimic already successful reality shows have been particularly disappointing.

Treasure Hunters, NBC's Amazing Race-esque globe-trotting reality competition, dipped to a new series low of 1.7 in adults 18-49 last night, down 6 percent from last week's 1.8 and 26 percent from a 2.3 average just two weeks ago.

ABC's The One: Making of a Music Star, in the mold of American Idol, debuted to even worse ratings last week.

Hunters has been hurt by other things than the retread factor, however. NBC debuted the show on a Sunday and intended to move it to Monday right away, but that was delayed for a week when the Stanley Cup final went to seven games.

Also, the show airs against Fox's Hell's Kitchen in the 9 p.m. timeslot, which Kitchen has dominated. Last night's episode averaged a 3.4, 0.9 ahead of second-place CBS and doubling Hunters.

Meanwhile, CBS took the lead for the night among 18-49s with a 2.6 rating and 8 share, edging Fox at 2.5/8, ABC at 2.1/6, NBC at 1.6/5, Univision at 1.5/5, UPN at 0.8/2 and WB at 0.6/2.

At 8 p.m., CBS was No. 1 at 2.4 for reruns of "King of Queens" and "How I Met Your Mother," followed by ABC's 2.2 for "Wife Swap," Fox's 1.6 for a "Kitchen" rerun, NBC's 1.5 for "Project Runway," Univision's 1.8 for "La Fea Mas Bella," UPN's 0.7 for "One on One" and "All of Us" reruns, and WB's 0.6 for a "7th Heaven" repeat.

At 9 p.m., Fox's "Kitchen" led at 3.4, followed by CBS's "Two and a Half Men" and "Mother" reruns at 2.5, ABC's "CMA Music Festival" at 1.9, NBC's "Treasure Hunters" at 1.7, Univision's "Barrera de Amor" at 1.5, UPN's "Girlfriends" and "Half & Half" repeats at 0.8, and WB's "Heaven" rerun at 0.6.

At 10 p.m., CBS climbed back to No. 1 with a 3.0 for a "CSI: Miami" rerun, followed by ABC's 2.3 for "CMA," NBC's 1.6 for a "Medium" repeat and Univision's 1.1 for "Cristina."

Among households, CBS was No. 1 again with a 5.6 rating and 9 share, ahead of ABC at 4.4/7, Fox at 3.4/6, NBC at 2.9/5, Univision at 1.8/3, UPN at 1.3/2 and WB at 1.1/2.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_6211.asp
post #13866 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It looks like the contentious battle over media ownership rules is about to resume.

The FCC announced today in a press release (.pdf) that it is opening comment on its review of ownership rules. The Commission tried to change the rules back in 2003, but the Third Circuit Court of Appeals put some of those changes on hold.

In today's announcement, the FCC says it seeks comment on issues such as the local TV and radio ownership limits, the newspaper-broadcast cross-ownership ban, and the so-called "UHF discount" which reduces how much a UHF station counts toward the national ownership cap.

Source: www.fcc.gov

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #13867 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

It looks like the contentious battle over media ownership rules is about to resume.

The FCC announced today in a press release (.pdf) that it is opening comment on its review of ownership rules. The Commission tried to change the rules back in 2003, but the Third Circuit Court of Appeals put some of those changes on hold.

In today's announcement, the FCC says it seeks comment on issues such as the local TV and radio ownership limits, the newspaper-broadcast cross-ownership ban, and the so-called "UHF discount" which reduces how much a UHF station counts toward the national ownership cap.

Source: www.fcc.gov

How about a multicasting penalty. If each encrypted USDTV subchannel on Sinclair's stations counted against their ownership limits they might be persuaded to provide the CW in HD instead.
post #13868 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It will be interesting to see, from a purely political point of view, what happens here.

If the FCC really pushes through new rules which allow media concentrations to get even stronger, a new Congress, especially if Domocrats win control of one or both houses, might just retaliate by passing far more restrictive rules.

It is going to be a very interesting time to watch legislation wned its way through Cpngress for the next several years.
post #13869 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not-so-"Happy Hour":

Five signs Fox needs to admit it has a problem
By Melanie McFarland Seattle Post-Intelligencer TV Critic in her TV blog

1. You think "Happy Hour," an appalling Thursday night series whose star looks like he's familiar with the concept of waking up in one's own sick, is funny. By the way, this sitcom's panel used to be in the afternoon, when happy hour is acceptable. But a session on Simon Cowell's "Duets" dropped out, and something had to fill the hole. Bring on "Happy Hour," Fox says. There's a winning idea!

2. The idea of surviving this panel made the majority of critics opt for the pool, where drowning is a real risk, or sleep in, where the down pillows could asphyxiate them. Preferable dangers to this session.

3. So, at 9:45 a.m., you start sending cocktail waitresses around the ballroom to ply those brave enough to be here with mimosas, Bloody Marys and Irish Coffees. Whiskey, vodka and champagne before 10 a.m. Nope, no issues there, guys.

4. Our waitress says in a voice devoid of joy, "It's happy hour, kids. Get on board." She's trying to mask the angry. I'd be ticked off too if I worked for Fox in the hopes of launching a career in the industry, and was reduced to slinging booze to critics who only recently downed their eggs and bakey. Nearby a waiter/page is giving the hard sell to a woman noble enough to hold out. "Are you sure? Everyone else is doing it." She gives in and snatches the whiskey drink, which she is now hanging on to as if her life depends on it.

5. Perhaps Fox doesn't realize that alcohol is a depressant. Probably not the best idea to serve it to a room of people who, on the last day of Fox's Press Tour turn, are feeling mighty depressed. Between the network employees maniacally laughing on cue in the back and the early morning drinking, I'm looking around the room and seeing a lot of faces sunken into hands.

Off to N.A. (Networks Anonymous) with you, Fox. On the other hand, I can't really take the high road here. In front of me is a mimosa that I'm eyeing like it's Taye Diggs in silk pajamas. But I won't give in. Nope. I won't.

Help!

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/p...entryID=105320
post #13870 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

FNC makes an appearance:

A Fox News Channel press conference was bound to be awkward since many TV critics are on record dismissing Fox News Channel as not exactly as fair and balanced as it proclaims.

I always find these kind of blanket and one-direction-only comments about FNC to be rather funny. I get the Pittsburgh guy's point about being wrongly blacklisted- BUT - he starts the entire piece with the above quote and how so many "critics" find FNC to be biased. Well, that may well be true (the right-leaning bias) - but it almost always neglects the fact that the major 3 nets are so heavily biased the other way. Dan Rather couldn't have been more open with his biases and personal agendas at CBS, Katie Couric and Brokaw - same for NBC. Jennings feelings were also well known and often espoused at ABC before his untimely death. My only point to the Pittsburgh whiner (and his like) is that this is a two way street. And FNC is only one player among 3 other large players, plus CNN, MSNBC, etc. I've seen FNC interviews where they challenge Republican and Conservative guests' opinions pretty openly. But, even when Pres. Clinton was mid-scandal/s, I don't recall any of the FNC folks openly dismissing him as a person and President the way Rather and Couric have with Bush. Brokaw's latest foray into "documentary" on warming, a la Al Gore, is already being shown to be full of factual inaccuracy and supported by left-leaning zealots. Zealots of either stripe are usually mistaken/inaccurate in many of their assessments by virtue of their zealotry.

My only real point is- I am not defending Fox, but the others are at least as biased and it simply doesn't get the same attention. Also, I hope this isn't considered political diatribe and OT. I am merely offering my take on the post from the critic in Pittsburgh as quoted. I would enjoy seeing him and others take on the other side when the evidence is so clear. No, they didn't mention the other news outlets, just their favorite, easy target.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #13871 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

...... but it almost always neglects the fact that the major 3 nets are so heavily biased the other way. Dan Rather couldn't have been more open with his biases and personal agendas at CBS, Katie Couric and Brokaw - same for NBC. Jennings feelings were also well known and often espoused at ABC before his untimely death. ........ But, even when Pres. Clinton was mid-scandal/s, I don't recall any of the FNC folks openly dismissing him as a person and President the way Rather and Couric have with Bush. Brokaw's latest foray into "documentary" on warming, a la Al Gore, is already being shown to be full of factual inaccuracy and supported by left-leaning zealots.

Good grief. What color is the sky in your world?
post #13872 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Good grief. What color is the sky in your world?

He lives in the real world so its BLUE, how about yours?

None of them are "fair and balanced" in reality but there is only one right leaning channel VS all the others.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #13873 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

He lives in the real world so its BLUE, how about yours?

None of them are "fair and balanced" in reality but there is only one right leaning channel VS all the others.

NewsHour on PBS is by far the fairest and most informative newscast on American tv.
post #13874 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

He lives in the real world so its BLUE,....?

Not if he actually believes anything he said in that post which was bursting at the seams with inaccuracies Frank, sorry.
post #13875 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Let's keep the politics out.

If you want to passionately argue, pick a side in the BD vs. HD-DVD forums - everybody else is.
post #13876 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

NewsHour on PBS is by far the fairest and most informative newscast on American tv.

The BBC channel was playing while I was on hold with a Canadian company today and their reporters were right in the thick of it in Lebanon, anyway, I hadn't listened to the BBC in quite awhile and it was refreshing.
post #13877 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not That Happy Hour...

By Rich Heldenfels in his Akron Beacon Journal TV blog

As a nod to its new comedy ''Happy Hour,'' Fox preceded the press conference with servers bearing cocktails -- mimosas, bloody Marys, something with Kahlua. It did not seem to bother Fox that the drinks were being distributed before 10 a.m. (although, it could have been a stunt planned when the network scheduled ''Happy Hour'' as an afternoon session -- and stuck to when the press conference was moved to the morning).

If the stunt was also meant to dull the wits of the assembled reporters, Fox needn't have bothered. As I've said before, this is late in the press tour. I don't even drink, and my wits have dulled quite thoroughly.

Besides, the ''Happy Hour'' session was quite enjoyable without cocktails, one of those cases where the cast and producers were funnier in the room than they had been in the show's pilot.

Before ''Happy Hour,'' we met the cast and producers of ''Justice,'' a new legal drama from Fox. The cast includes Victor Garber, fresh off of ''Alias'' and -- while saying he wanted to do this show -- he admitted that dramas are not fun: ''The schedule is brutal. You can't believe the hours that it takes to do these shows. And at the end of the day, if you go home at night thinking 'I
did a good job today, this was exciting,' it's all worthwhile.''

Because yesterday I tried to torture Josh Berman about ''Killer Instinct,'' a short-lived show from last season, (see my previous post for what happened) I decided to do the same to Jonathan Shapiro, an executive producer of ''Justice.'' Last year he created the gone-in-a-blink ''Just Legal,'' the Don Johnson lawyer show on The WB.

Lessons learned? '' 'Be on Fox' is a good idea,'' he said. '' 'Just Legal' was a great experience. I wish that it had lasted longer.'' Then he got back on message about his new show. ''A lot of the issues that we addressed in 'Just Legal' and I wanted to address in 'Just Legal,' we're going to address here. That was a defense firm, this is a defense firm.''

But I dug in a little more, asking how he felt about the quick hook the WB show got. ''I spent many years working with Democratic candidates in various statewide elections. So early and abrupt endings of hopeful campaigns don't surprise me.''

By the way, I think Fox had the most crowded stage of the press tour yesterday, when ''Vanished'' offered up 15 people -- three producers and 12 actors. We've seen a fair number of double-digit panels so far -- a sign of producer proliferation, ensemble casts and the need to make all the regular actors feel loved. Still, when the Q&A starts, because most of the questions are going to go to the producers (since they know most about what a show is going to be). Actors, meanwhile, are more likely to get individual attention in scrums afterward or at the network press parties. But press-conference neglect is even more likely when the stage is so packed.

http://blogs.ohio.com/beacon_tv/
post #13878 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HDTV Noterbook
WPVI Goes HD

By Glen Dickson Broadcasting & Cable 7/25/2006

In a first for the Philadelphia market, ABC-owned powerhouse WPVI is now broadcasting its news in high definition.

The station made the transition July 23, converting its local news production to HD studio cameras and graphics. WPVI also has an HD-enabled helicopter, which it has been flying since February.

WPVI is one of only about a dozen stations nationwide broadcasting HD news. KABC Los Angeles is the only other station in the ABC group to go HD so far.

"This is an exciting time for all of us in broadcast television", WPVI President/General Manager Rebecca Campbell said in a statement. "High-definition truly changes the television viewing experience, and as the Delaware Valley news leader, we have an obligation to our viewers to bring them this new technology."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News
post #13879 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ailes the Conqueror

By Christopher Lisotta at Broadcasting & Cable's Critical Eye blog Monday, July 24th, 2006

Fox News Channel Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes began his press tour session Monday afternoon celebrating the cabler's tenth anniversary with some quotes. Not just any quotes, mind you, but quotes flashed on a video screen that were written by the trade and consumer press (some currently at press tour) back mostly in 1996. The quotes all dismissed the cable net as a bad idea or a likely failure in a marketplace that was then dominated by CNN.Ailes proved his critics wrong, noting in his opening remarks that the news channel has been No. 1 in the news marketplace for 55 months, and in the ratings outpaces competitors CNN and MSNBC combined.

I can't wait to see what people think about us in 10 years, Ailes said soon after taking the stage.

Like several of their network news colleagues, Fox News talents Shepard Smith and Jennifer Griffin appeared via satellite from the Middle East to fill critics in on the Israel-Lebanon conflict. Besides world news of the day, Ailes gave a round up on several developments for the channel itself.

Concerning the Fox News business channel spinoff, Ailes said when distribution is in place we will go ahead with it, and that he has developed a business plan for the network.

We have not pushed it any further than that, he added.

Asked about younger viewers, Ailes said it is clear they are not turning to news, but that the cabler had some issues with Nielsen about how they assessed younger viewers.

The issue goes far beyond Nielsen, however.

It's going to be the big question for the next couple years for all of us, he said.

One critic asked why Fox News Channel will not call back certain journalists. The critic specifically referenced the Associated Press reporter David Bauder.

We don't have any policy like that at all, he said, noting that he will talk to anyone his PR team forwards to him.

I don't know anybody I wouldn't talk to, Ailes added.

Going with an evening news show at 6:30 p.m. (ET) to compete with the broadcast news programs is a complex issue, he said. Would I like to do it? Sure. I'm basically competitive.

But there is not great demand for a new product, and on the station side, counter-programming with non-news content seems to be working fine, he said.

http://blogs.tvweek.com/?cat=5
post #13880 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For those of you in the Nation's Capitol:

Sports On TV
FCC Looks To Expedite MASN Complaint

By John Eggerton Broadcasting & Cable 7/25/2006

The FCC appears determined to get the games of the Washington Nationals to cable households as quickly as possible.

Its order July 21 outlining approval of the Comcast/Time Warner purchase of Adelphia gave the MidAtlantic Spots Network 10 days to take its complaint to an aribiter as part of a new arbitration process for program access complaints.

But separately, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has circulated a proposal, which the FCC commissioners have to vote on, that would send the existing MASN program access complaint against Comcast to an FCC administrative law judge for action within 45 days.

That 45 days is the same amount of time the arbiter will have to make his or her decision if MASN opts for that route, though the arbitration decision can be appealed to the FCC, which would then have another 60 days to consider it.

In essence, the FCC is offering MASN two, parallel tracks to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible.

New FCC Commissioner Robert McDowell criticized FCC inaction on the MASN complaint in no uncertain terms during the public meeting approving the Adelphia deal, asking the FCC to speed the process.

MASN has the rights to the Nationals, but Comcast does not carry the games on its D.C. area cable systems serving hundreds of thousands of households. The two have been in a protected dispute, including legal action, over Baltimore Orioles games, which Comcast has carried but Orioles owner Peter Angelos is moving to MASN. Angelos has rights to the Nationals as part of the deal that allowed the Washington team to move into the market that had been the Orioles' alone.

MASN, which has until Aug. 4 to decide, has not yet made up its mind. "We are evaluating how to most quickly get the games on for the fans," said spokesman Todd Webster, "but we are grateful that the FCC has stepped up to end the Comcast blackout."

MASN sent letters to Comcast and Time Warner Tuesday to resolve the matter before taking either of the government alternatives. Time Warner had not been carrying the games in Washington, either.

Comcast spokeswoman D'Arcy Rudnay had not returned a call at press time, but she told The Washington Post, which first reported the story of Martin's proposed ALJ referral: "We believe that any program carriage proceeding on this matter will conclude that the MASN complaint is wholly without merit."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6356256
post #13881 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Digital Revolution
The New King of Tinytube

By James Poniewozik Time Magazine television critic in Time's Tuned In blog July 25, 2006

A few weeks ago I blogged that, with the purchase of a new HDTV, I had abdicated the position of Professional Television Critic with the Worst TV Set in America. Now a new aspirant has claimed the throne: Matthew Gilbert of the Boston Globe, who, like I once did, bought his 20-inch set back when an innocent America was delighted by the antics of Ross Perot and captivated by the hip-hop stylings of Kris Kross. Says Gilbert, the constraints of his modest cathode-ray boulder keep him focused on what's important in TV:

My ordinary set helps me keep my eye on what's essential about the TV material I cover -- primarily fictions such as drama and comedy series, made-for-TV movies, and (yes, they're fictional) reality shows. Without a lot of sophisticated sensory overload, I think, a show's writing, acting, and editing stand out more clearly. I can stay in touch with the true marks of good storytelling, without having to parse them out from a dazzling barrage.

I definitely agree with Gilbert on one thing: the supersizing of American screens not only encourages more cinematic TV but excuses using great visuals as a substitute for storytelling. I half wonder whether the influence of giant screens explains what I'd call the quality plateau of the new pilots I'm seeing for fall. There's an unusual lack of really awful pilots and an unusual surplus of interesting, competently made pilots. But there are no pilots that stand out as more exceptional than the rest, the way Lost did in 2004, or Arrested Development in 2003, or Freaks and Geeks in 1999. If the big-screen beautification of TV means that we've defined mediocrity upward, that's good, I guess, but I hope we don't lose real standout scripts that don't translate as well visually.

That said, I think there's something a little King Canute vs. the sea about hanging on to an old TV out of principle. TV is what it is nowadays, and a critic might as well have the option of seeing it as it was intended. (Of course I have to believe that, having just dropped well over a grand on a giant piece of glass.)

Regardless, Gilbert makes a valuable point: that changing the box you use to deliver the medium affects the medium itself. And we're in a weird time now, where we no longer share a universal way of viewing TV. Just a decade or so ago, you might have a bigger TV and I might have a smaller one, but we were both watching a cathode-ray box with a 4 to 3 screen ratio. But now there's a substantial chunk of the audience watching on something that looks a lot more like a movie screen, wide and narrow and lit with plasma or LCD. Another major chunk is still watching on old-school boxes. And a growing minority are catching shows on iPods, or computer screens, or 7-inch portable DVD players. Even if we're watching the same shows, are we really watching the same thing? And who can say which of us is watching the show the right way?

I don't know, but for now I'm erring on the side of using a screen that doesn't threaten to crash through my living room floor. And if anyone there is a friend of Matthew Gilbert's, you could pick him up a modest, 4 x 3, 20-inch flatscreen for a few hundred bucks. It won't corrupt his judgment any more than his current, "heavy but quite liftable" set. But it might just save his back.

http://time.blogs.com/tuned_in/
post #13882 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

If you want to passionately argue, pick a side in the BD vs. HD-DVD forums - everybody else is.

And I find that endlessly amusing; more so than arguing about politics. Who cares? If nobody bought their stupid systems until they unified behind a common standard, or at least allowed universal players to be pushed to market, then that would settle the issue - in a newyawkminute. I've got no problem sitting this one out (and I got D-VHS/D-Theater to tide me over!).
post #13883 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I second (and third) that notion.

A ,lot of stuff gets posted here. I try to be pretty ecumenical about it, although I often add my own views.

But the idea of the thread is not to argue about whether DirecTV or Dish (or Comcast etc.) is better, but to put information out there. So you can read various opinions and reports and hopefully be better able to make up your own mind.

And generally, in the nearly two years this thread has been allowed by the people in charge here to exist, we have been able to keep away from flame wars.

I have my personal opinions about Dan Rather's political views (and FNC's for that matter).

The idea between posts here, though, is to find out what Dan's hiring by HDNet might do for the mcuban empire. And as for FNC, its amazing success I would argue, goes way beyond the perception of its "slant".

To my mind, FNC can dance circles around CNN and MSNBC because it all stems from what Roger Ailes, a true TV genius, decides his network should do. He doesn't need approval of anyone else -- and neither Jon Klein at CNN nor Dan Abrams at MSNBC can make that claim. They have to go through potentially many layers of bureaucracy and please many masters.

So let's continue to keep the hard line political rhetoric out of the thread, please. I have been graciously allowed a lot of leeway here to discuss all of TV, not just HD, because in my mind it all matters.

Occasionally I'll sneak in some my own thoughts-- but generally it is about programming I hope you'll sample, or believe you might enjoy.

But the vast majority of material I post is about shows or networks or items I have little interest in -- but some of you, hopefully, will find enlightening.

Continuing debates over right/left or DBS/cable or plasma/LCD seem to me to add little to anyone's understanding of anything -- except the poster's own preferences, prejudices and beliefs.

(Now, if you want to debate whether "Gray's Anatomy" is a better TV show than "24" or "Lost", this is the place to have that discussion.)

But please remember: just because someone else doesn't share your views in what is enjoyable TV doesn't make him or her a "Joe Six-Pack" or an intellectual cretin. It just mean he or she enjoys different options that you do.

If we do manage to keep that thought in mind, we'll all continue to be far more open-minded than many of the TV critics have shown to be in the past couple of weeks.
post #13884 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: The New King of Tinytube

TV critics should be required by their employers to use a HDTV! If you're not watching what the producers intended, you're not watching the same show.
post #13885 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

Re: The New King of Tinytube

TV critics should be required by their employers to use a HDTV! If you're not watching what the producers intended, you're not watching the same show.

Agreed, George.

It is the same sort of elitist arrogance which belives the only good TV shows come from the BBC, etc.
post #13886 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

IT's NOT POLITICS. I agree about keeping politics out. And, as usual, those who can't accept or comprehend what I was saying (where I specifically point out that I was not aiming at politics but rather the inequities of the comment by the quoted critic), will attempt to make it political. Maybe I edged toward politics a bit with the Bush/Clinton coverage remark. But, I tried to emphasize simply (and repeatedly) that my main point was solely about a critic claiming inbalance on the part of one media entity, when the true and larger imbalance goes unadressed. Archiguy, who thinks that means I live in a fantasy land with orange skies, simply doesn't agree or comprehend or can't keep to the real subject matter and resorts to ad hominem. Does he really believe that of the 6 networks mentioned, that only Fox has its agenda? Please.

The use of "balance" was my thrust, not politics. While archiguy -- who has no real clue where my politics are, despite what he may assume -- may not be able to differentiate, that is his problem, not mine. I did not condone or endorse any political view - I merely stated a basic opinion on the "balance" issue thought to be so obvious by the quoted critic and the main thrust of the quoted post. I hope this isn't deleted as political, bcz it really isn't. But if so, so be it. It's not my call and I'm not trying to derail the thread, just commenting on something already included and, I thought, open to discussion.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #13887 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While (see above) I agree with the sentiment, I would point out two things. First, I bashed no one and insulted no one. You can't say the same for posts left in the HD/BD battleground, yet they go on. Second, (again, see above) I wasn't arguing politics, simply questionable statements/coverage by a quoted critic and an insulting response to my post by someone who DID want to make it about politics and can't see the difference. My final word on this one, I promise.

Ray
post #13888 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Cable Nielsen Notebook
Disney, USA Tops in Cable Ratings

By Anthony Crupi MediaWeek.com JULY 25, 2006 -

For the first time this summer, non-ad-supported Disney Channel ended up on the top of the cable ratings heap, thanks to its latest tween-skewing original musical, Read It and Weep.

Based on the bestselling kids' book How My Private, Personal Journal Became a Bestseller, the new Disney movie averaged 5.41 million total viewers Friday night, making it the fourth most-watched program for the week ending July 23. All told, Disney averaged 3.34 million viewers in prime time and earned a 2.7 household rating.

The last time Disney was the top cable net was during the week ending June 18.

Disney boasted six of the top 20 programs on the week, including yet another repeat of its powerhouse film High School Musical, which scared up just under 5 million viewers Monday night in its umpteenth showing since debuting in January.

Meanwhile, USA Network took top honors among ad-supported channels last week, averaging 2.96 million viewers in prime and a 2.4 HH rating. Besides its WWE Raw juggernaut, which made short work of much of its competition Monday night--the two-hour presentation averaged 5.26 million total viewers between 9:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.--USA also saw audiences return to catch the third installment of its new original series, Psych. On Friday night at 10:00 p.m., Psych drew 4.69 million viewers, down just a smidgen from the 4.71 million total viewers who tuned in a week earlier.

USA was also tops in prime in the three core demos: 18-34 (0.6 million), 18-49 (1.3 million) and 25-54 (1.3 million).

TNT took second on the week among ad-supported nets, averaging 2.46 million viewers and garnering a 2.0 HH rating, as its coverage of NASCAR Nextel Cup racing cruised into first with an audience of 6.74 million. The race was also ad-supported cable's top program in the 18-49 demo (3.06 million) and among adults 25-54 (3.44 million). Meanwhile, the network's crime drama, The Closer, took third last week, drawing 5.7 million viewers Monday night at 9:00 p.m. Season-to-date, The Closer remains cable's most-watched scripted series, averaging 6.38 million total viewers since making its record-breaking season two debut June 12.

The Turner net did see a decline in takers for its Stephen King horror/suspense anthology Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which lured 2.85 million viewers Wednesday night at 9:00 p.m. and 3.08 million at 10:00 p.m., a drop from the 5 million total viewers it averaged during its two-part debut the week before.

TNT sibling TBS came in third among ad-supported channels (1.98 million/1.7 HH), while Fox News Channel took fourth (1.89/1.7) and Cartoon Network placed fifth (1.54/1.4).

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1002878929
post #13889 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thought this might interest a few people, hope you don't mind I basically stole your editing style Fred .
World Cup 2006 Ratings
World Cup scores TV equivalent of 64 Super Bowls

Reuters.com Tue Jul 25, 2006

LONDON, July 25 (Reuters) - World Cup soccer delivered the equivalent of 64 Super Bowls during the month-long tournament, with an average TV audience of 93 million viewers for each match, about the same number who watched the NFL championship.

More than 5.9 billion people watched World Cup matches live in 54 global markets, according to a final tally released on Tuesday by media buying and planning firm Initiative.

About 284 million people tuned in to see Italy beat France on penalty kicks in the final on July 9, while 202 million watched the Germany-Italy semi-final and 188 million saw the other semi-final between Portugal and France.

The World Cup also attracted twice the number of viewers who watched the Athens Olympics opening ceremony, solidifying its place as the top draw for broadcasters and advertisers.

The once-a-year Super Bowl is usually the TV event of the year in the United States, the world's biggest advertising market, with companies paying $2.4 million to show a 30-second commercial during the three-hour broadcast.

This year's soccer tournament benefited from being played in Germany, which offered convenient TV times for European and South American fans, many of whom missed the 2002 matches played in South Korea and Japan because of the scheduling.

The 2006 tournament attracted 10 percent more viewers than in 2002. It was about on par with the 1998 audience, though there were some shifts among various markets because of the teams that qualified and advanced.

About 41 percent of the viewing audience was female, Initiative found, the highest ever share for the World Cup.

Most of the brands advertised and marketing approaches used were male-skewed during the tournament, however.

"This could signal a move towards targeting a more mixed audience by non-gender specific categories in the future," said Initiative, which is owned by Interpublic Group (IPG.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the world's third largest advertising conglomerate.

Reuters.com
post #13890 of 25503 Old 07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTC3 View Post

Thought this might interest a few people, hope you don't mind I basically stole your editing style Fred .
World Cup 2006 Ratings
World Cup scores TV equivalent of 64 Super Bowls

Even though I don't understand the rules of the game, or even player positions, I do know you need to get the ball in the goal, and with just knowing that, I enjoyed the heck out of this coverage, even with all the complaints about announcers and scorebars, great stuff and looking forward to it 4 years from now.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page