AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sports On TV
FCC Orders TW To Carry Ball for Now

By John Eggerton & Ben Grossman Broadcasting & Cable 8/3/2006

The FCC has ordered Time Warner to reinstate the NFL Network on the systems it has newly acquired from Adelphia and Comcast until the FCC can act on an NFL petition for an emergency ruling on their carriage dispute.

"Based on the current state of the record," the FCC said Thursday, "we conclude that the NFL is entitled to appropriate interim relief. The FCC cited the public's interest in access to the network, saying it ouweighed any potential harm to Time Warner.

By contrast, the FCC said the NFL could suffer "irreparable harm" if viewers are denied the preseason games that begin in August and help establish viewing patterns for the rest of the season.

"Specifically, we direct that Time Warner reinstate carriage of the NFL Network on all of its newly acquired systems on the same terms under which it was carried prior to August 1, 2006, until we are able to resolve the NFL's Petition on the merits," the FCC said. "In addition, due to the time-sensitive nature of the NFL's request, we direct Time Warner to file its response to the NFL's Petition on or before August 15, 2006."

While not prejudging the outcome, the FCC said the NFL had a sufficient likelihood of prevailing to warrant the temporary restoration of the network.

Although the FCC's Thursday order ended with the curious declaration that "Time Warner has established a sufficient prospect of success on the merits to justify this relief," that turned out to be a typo.

The NFL petition filed earlier this week, claims that Time Warner violated Section 76.1603(b) "of the Commission's rules requiring adequate notice to subscribers before dropping a cable channel from cable systems Time Warner recently acquired from Adelphia Communications and Comcast Corporation." That period of adequate notice is 30 days, according to the Commission's rules.

"As a result of Time Warner quietly and suddenly pulling our NFL Network channel off cable systems around the country last night at midnight, we were left with no alternative under FCC rules but to file this injunction," said the league in a statement. "NFL fans who called us today said they were not given a fair chance on the eve of the NFL season to have their voice heard on this decision by Time Warner. We owe it to our fans to help them fight for their rights. Those rights were abruptly and unfairly taken from them late last night."

Systems that lost the NFL Network as of Aug. 1 included football hotbeds such as Kansas City, Cleveland and Dallas.

Calling the filing "frivolous," "Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad said earlier this week: "We think we are in full compliance with the FCC's notification rules. The rule is 30 days notice unless the change is beyond your control," Harrad said. "The NFL Network made it apparent to us that they would not allow TWC to carry their network in a manner that was in the best interests of our customers and our business," which he said only became apparent last week. "We notified customers as soon as the possiblity of that impasse became apparent," running ads to that effect in different markets last week, he said.

But the FCC said Thursday that: "Given the current state of the record, it appears that Time Warner discontinued carriage of the NFL Network without providing customers with the requisite 30-days notice.... Moreover, it appears that the decision made by Time Warner was within the control of the cable operator...since the termination of the NFL Network did not result from any uncontrollable external event, such as a natural disaster.

"Moreover, we find that the NFL has a reasonable prospect of showing that Time Warner's actions, which affected millions of customers across the nation residing within numerous franchising authorities' jurisdiction, constitute systemic abuses that undermine the statutory objectives. "

The two sides are at odds as the NFL Network looks to keep itself off of the digital sports tier on which Time Warner wants to place the network. The NFL says that monthly fees are not at issue, the differences are over where the network would be carried. The NFL is said to be asking $100 million for the package, or in the neighborhood of 90 cents per sub per month. If so, that is high by cable network standards. At the high end, ESPN gets three dollars a sub, but the bulk of top tier cable nets are in the 20 cent-50 cent range.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6359098
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14132 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
FCC Orders TW to Reinstate NFL Net Carriage
By John Consoli MediaWeek.com August 3, 2006

The Federal Communications Commission has ordered Time Warner Cable to reinstate carriage of the NFL Network on all its newly acquired Adelphia cable systems until the FCC is able to examine and render a decision on a motion filed by the NFL Network seeking permanent reinstatement.

Upon closing its deal to acquire the Adelphia systems, Time Warner, on Tuesday, Aug. 1, pulled the NFL Network from all the Adelphia systems. Time Warner does not carry the NFL Network on its Time Warner systems and has been negotiating with the network to come up with a carriage deal.

The NFL Network on Tuesday filed a petition with the FCC and Time Warner has yet to officially respond, but the FCC ordered Time Warner to file a response no later than August 15. NFL Network would then have an opportunity to respond to the Time Warner response by August 20.

The FCC said, "This expedited pleading cycle will afford the Commission to promptly resolve this dispute."

In reinstating the NFL Network to the former Adelpha systems until it can rule on the case, the FCC said it was being done in the public's interest. It said that Time Warner must follow the rule that cable operators must give subscribers 30 days notice before dropping a channel. The governing body said in this case, "it appears that Time Warner (discontinued ) the NFL Network with essentially no warning to customers."

Among the markets where the network was pulled was in Cleveland, Buffalo and Dallas, where there are NFL teams. "Such asction by Time Warner was particularly harmful to customers given the time of year," the FCC said. "With NFL training camps now underway and the NFL's pre-season schedule commencing on Aug. 11, now is a time when many football fans have a particular desire to view the NFL Network's programming. Therefore, each day the Time Warner customers go without the NFL Network significantly and irreparably harms many of them."

The FCC said while it is not making a final decision on the merits of the NFL's petition, a temporary reinstatement until the merits can be weighed, is in the public's interest.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1002950066
post #14133 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
FCC Order

Here is the complete FCC statement on the NFL Net-Time Warner matter:

FCC-TWC-NFL.pdf 109.3408203125k . file
post #14134 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Overnights in the 18-49 Demo
ABC summer cure: 'Medical Mysteries'
The 'Primetime' spinoff sees a ratings bump
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer August 3, 2006

There's nothing like a good mystery in these hot days of summer to keep viewers tuned in.

Last night ABC's new Primetime: Medical Mysteries offered a dandy, examining folks who suffer from a condition that includes similarities to traits often attributed to werewolves.
The show, a spinoff of ABC's newsmagazine "Primetime," pulled a 2.5 adults 18-49 overnight rating, 19 percent better than the 2.1 Medical Mysteries earned in its debut last week. What's more, it won the 10 p.m. timeslot after finishing third last week behind CBS and NBC.

That helped ABC boost its overall nightly average significantly over the previous week, going from a 1.4 to a 1.9. Of course the absence of the summer's biggest bomb, The One: Making a Music Star, at 8 p.m. also helped. ABC pulled it off the schedule this week.

So why the bump for Medical Mysteries? It may have simply been the draw of the case. Werewolves are certainly popular in science fiction, and the chance to hear about similar cases in real life may have been enough to pull in viewers.

Meanwhile, Fox led for the night at a 3.0 rating and 9 share in 18-49s, followed by NBC at 2.9/9, CBS at 2.3/7, ABC at 1.9/6, Univision at 1.8/6, WB at 0.7/2 and UPN at 0.6/2.

At 8 p.m., NBC was No. 1 at a 2.9 for "America's Got Talent," up slightly over last week, followed by CBS's "Rock Star: Supernova" at 2.5, Fox's "House" repeat at 2.3, Univision's "La Fea Mas Bella" at 2.1 (also up over last week's 2.0), ABC's 1.5 for two "George Lopez" reruns, WB's pair of "Blue Collar TV" repeats at 0.9 and UPN's "America's Next Top Model" rerun at 0.7

At 9 p.m., Fox took the lead at a 3.7 for "So You Think You Can Dance," even to last week, followed by NBC's 3.4 for "Talent," CBS at 2.2 for a "Criminal Minds" rerun, ABC at 1.7 for two more "George" repeats, Univision at 1.6 for "Barrera de Amor," UPN at 0.6 for "All of Us" and "Half & Half" repeats, and WB at 0.4 for a "One Tree Hill" rerun.

At 10 p.m., ABC's "Primetime: Medical Mysteries" was No. 1 at a 2.5, ahead of NBC's "Law & Order" repeat at 2.4, CBS's "CSI: NY" rerun at 2.3 and Univision's "Don Francisco Presenta" at 1.6.

Among households, NBC lead for the night at a 6.1 rating and 10 share, followed by Fox at a 5.1/9, CBS at a 4.9/8, ABC at a 3.6/6, Unvision at 2.1/4, WB at 1.2/2 and UPN at 0.9/2.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_6426.asp
post #14135 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wednesday's network prime-time ratings are now at the top of RATINGS NEWS (the first post in this thread).
post #14136 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
fredfa, speaking of ratings, do you know when the Nielsen folks will be releasing the new DMA rankings for the upcoming season?
post #14137 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Weekly Daypart Ratings
Wee hour white whiskers on Letterman
As Dave ages so has his late night audience
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer August 3, 2006

In the slow-to-change world of late-night TV, there are certain enduring perceptions. Hip, younger viewers watch David Letterman, older, former Johnny Carson fans favor Jay Leno, and the geezers who actually care about news tune in to Nightline.

That may have once been true. It's not the case anymore.

There's been a big shift in the median age of late-night viewers on the Big Three networks over the past five seasons, so much so that ABC's Nightline, not CBS's Late Show with David Letterman, is now the youngest of the bunch. So reports a new Magna Global U.S. study.

No less surprising, Letterman is now just 0.1 year younger than NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno, with an average age of 51.0 to the latter's 51.1. Nightline's is 50.9.

That's a mighty tight grouping, but what's more telling is the trends behind the numbers.

Take Nightline." That show's median age has fallen 0.7 years since last year, after ABC began courting a younger demographic with the departure of longtime anchor Ted Koppel. Its ratings among adults 18-49 have risen in that time as well.

The show is now 1.1 years younger than it was in 2001-2002, and at its second-youngest over the five-year period, behind a 49.8 during 2002-2003, when median ages for all news shows dipped slightly as people tuned in for updates about the new war in Iraq.

Meanwhile, Letterman has aged at a faster pace than any other show.

His median age has shot up from 46.5 in 2001-2002 to the current 51.0, a 10 percent increase. By comparison, Nightline is down 2 percent and Tonight Show up 6 percent in the same span. Leno jumped from a 48.0 to a 51.1 this year, its oldest median age in that span.

Why is Letterman rising faster than Leno? Both are seeing the natural aging of their audiences, as the baby boomers reach 60 and beyond.

But Letterman is also losing the hipness factor. He's now nearly 60 himself, and it's difficult to play the anti-establishment crank after two full decades, especially when in those same years you've become an establishment pillar, and a well-heeled one at that.

Letterman simply can't identify with young people anymore, which becomes even more obvious when he's compared with late-night cable shows like Comedy Central's Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Adult Swim's Family Guy that do it so well.

At its present pace, Letterman's median age could outpace Leno's by this time next year.

Other median ages for late-night broadcast network shows: NBC's Last Call with Carson Daly, 40.9; NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien, 42.6; ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live, 46.3; and CBS's Late Late Show with Colin Ferguson, 48.8.

Meanwhile, in other daypart ratings for the week ended July 23:

NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno placed first among total viewers, with 5.2 million to Late Show with David Letterman's 3.7 million on CBS. ABC's Nightline trailed Letterman by 500,000 viewers.

NBC's Meet the Press remained No. 1 among the Sunday morning shows, edging CBS's Face the Nation by 0.1 in the key adults 25-54 demographic with a 1.0. Fox News Sunday trailed far behind at 0.4. ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos did not air because of British Open coverage.

Among the morning shows, Today rose week-to-week as viewers tuned in for the latest on the Israel-Lebanon conflict. Today averaged 5.2 million total viewers, 1 million more than second-place Good Morning America on ABC and more than double CBS's 2.1 million for the Early Show.

In daytime ratings, NBC kept its edge among women 18-49 for full-day and daytime dramas, averaging a 1.6 to ABC's 1.5. CBS, however, was tops in total viewers, averaging 3.89 million in daytime dramas and 4.17 million in total day.

In syndication, Wheel of Fortune was the top show at a 7.0 household rating, followed by Jeopardy at 5.7. Oprah Winfrey Show was the top talk program at 5.3, and Everybody Loves Raymond led the syndicated sitcoms with a 5.0.

For the week ended July 30, NBC's Nightly News pulled firmly ahead of ABC's World News among adults 25-54, averaging a 2.2 to the latter's 2.0. CBS's Evening News was third at 1.8. NBC also led ABC by about 510,000 total viewers, with an average 7.97 million, while CBS averaged 6.87 million.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_6398.asp
post #14138 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
CBS' Dozier Walking On Her Own

By Caroline Palmer Broadcasting & Cable 8/3/2006

Statement from CBS News Correspondent Kimberly Dozier:

Folks, I'm leaving hospitals behind, ahead of the deadline, or at least ahead of schedule. I've had a couple setbacks, and I still face a couple minor surgeries, but overall, the prognosis is far better than the docs had hoped just after I'd reached Germany. The teams at Balad, Landstuhl, and the NationalNavalMedicalCenter in Bethesda, Md. worked overtime - something like a dozen surgeries at least, including one that lasted 11 hours.

Just a few weeks later, I'm up on crutches and can even manage with a cane. It's not pretty, but I'm walking on my own - and that, I also owe, to some hard-driving therapists at KernanHospital in Maryland, who kept saying, Now try this'

The next step: continued outpatient rehab to get my body used to being in motion full-time.

Thanks to CBS, my family and friends have been close by throughout. That, together with all the amazing cards and e-mails from across the country, has really pulled me through. I've told friends it's been like having 10,000 guardian angels on my shoulders.

I've learned slowly how close I came to joining my friends, cameraman Paul Douglas and soundman James Brolan, both killed by the blast. I owe my life to the quick actions of the 4th Infantry Division's Sgt. Mootoosamy -- who took charge of the scene, with his commander down and many of his men injured - and medic Spc. Flores, who patched me up. Even with a car bomb cooking off, sending shrapnel through the air just a couple dozen feet from us, Spc. Flores just kept calmly speaking to me and working on my legs -- no wavering, no pause.

Not a day goes by without thinking of Paul and James -- two of the most remarkable characters I've ever known. My heart goes out to their families, and I know no words to stop their grief. The last I saw Paul and James, they were rushing from their humvee to get the shot' of a young U.S. Army Captain, James Funkhouser, Jr., greeting Iraqi locals at a streetside tea stand. The bomb hit all three of them, together with an Iraqi liaison officer, and took all four lives.

I choose to remember them from the instant before the blast - each one of them consummate pros doing a job they loved to support the families back home they loved even more.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6359229
post #14139 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
Time Warner Mulls FCC's NFL Order

By Ted Hearn Multichannel News 8/3/2006

Washington - Time Warner Cable needs to carry the NFL Networkfor at least another 30 days on systems recently acquired from Adelphia Communications and Comcast under terms of a reinstatement order issued by the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday.

But Time Warner issued a statement after release of the FCC decision that suggested it had no plans to restore immediately the NFL Network to about 1 million subscribers that had access to the channel just a few days ago.

Time Warner Cable is currently reviewing the FCC's order regarding the NFL Network.This order was issued without offering us the opportunity to respond to the NFL Network's allegations.We believe the FCC's decision is wrong and we are considering our options, said Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad.

The FCC ruling -- released just two days after the agency received the NFL Network's complaint -- said restoration of carriage on an interim basis was appropriate because Time Warner Cable dropped the network without giving subscribers 30 days notice as required by FCC rules.

We appreciate the FCC's speedy action in response to our petition, and are gratified that the [FCC] has acted to protect the interests of cable consumers -- and NFL fans -- throughout the country, the NFL said in a statement.

The FCC said it ruled against Time Warner because the NFL demonstrated that it would likely prevail when the agency takes a deeper look at the league's complaint over the next few weeks.

We find that the NFL has a reasonable prospect of showing that Time Warner's actions, which affected millions of customers across the nation residing within numerous franchise authorities' jurisdiction, constitute systemic abuses that undermine the statutory objectives, FCC Media Bureau chief Donna Gregg wrote in a four-page order.

The FCC said Time Warner's abrupt cutoff inflicted injury because it denied consumers sufficient time to find another pay-TV provider that carried the NFL Network and because it hurt the NFL Network on the eve the pre-season game schedule when viewership patterns for the coming season (where to watch pre-game and post-game shows) are established ...

Time Warner has said it did not have a legal right to carry the NFL Network on the acquired cable systems, but the NFL told the FCC that it had given the cable company permission to carry the channel for 30 days. About one-third of the 3.3 million subscribers that Time Warner acquired in the Adelphia merger had access to the NFL Network.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6359223
post #14140 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
FCC Orders Time Warner Cable to Restore NFL Network
Cable Operator Pulled the Network After Adelphia Deal Closed

By Ira Teinowitz TVWeek.com August 3, 2006

The Federal Communications Commission threw a penalty flag Thursday at Time Warner Cable, ordering the company to immediately put the NFL Network back on the Adelphia Communications and Comcast cable systems Time Warner got in its deal for much of bankrupt Adelphia's system.

How long the channel will stay on the systems remains uncertain. The immediate penalty appears to be short-term, and even a big penalty is unlikely to keep the network on Time Warner's system through the NFL season.

The FCC responded unusually swiftly to a complaint that NFL Enterprises filed earlier this week claiming customers of the affected systems got insufficient advance notice that the network was being discontinued when Time Warner Monday night closed its $12.5 billion deal for Adelphia. The NFL contends a 30-day notice is required.

Under the deal, Time Warner and Comcast each got chunks of Adelphia and then swapped some cable systems to give each company stronger market concentrations in particular areas.

While Comcast and Adelphia carried the NFL Network, Time Warner doesn't, and, at least according to the NFL, talks with the NFL have been stymied by an argument about whether the network should be available to all viewers (the NFL's desire) or on a sports tier for which consumers pay more (Time Warner's position).

Because Time Warner has no contract with the NFL, it shut off the network to about 1 million homes when it took over the systems Tuesday morning. The NFL said the number of homes affected could top 3.7 million, but Time Warner said it picked up 3.3 million subscribers in the Adelphia deal and at most 1.3 million of them had the NFL Network.

The NFL said in its FCC complaint that it offered Time Warner a 30-day grace period to carry the network after the switchover but that the offer was rejected by Time Warner on July 27, the same day the company began running newspaper ads in some of the affected markets saying that the network would be dropped Aug. 1.

In today's order the FCC didn't take sides on the complaint, but ordered the NFL Network be put back in the lineups until it can resolve the complaint. It also ordered quick schedules for responses from both sides.

"We will act expeditiously," FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin promised.

In a statement, the NFL praised the FCC.

"We appreciate the FCC's speedy action in response to our petition, and are gratified that the commission has acted to protect the interests of cable consumers-and NFL fans-throughout the country," the NFL said. "We look forward to continuing discussions with Time Warner regarding long-term carriage of the NFL Network and are happy that in the interim our fans will have access to our 'insider' coverage of NFL training camps and the preseason as a result of this ruling."

Time Warner Cable said it is reviewing the FCC's order.

"This order was issued without offering us the opportunity to respond to the NFL Network's allegations. We believe the FCC's decision is wrong and we are considering our options," the statement said.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10472
post #14141 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HDTV Notebook
'Firefly' Gets Hi-Def Makeover
UHD to Premiere Cult Hit in HD
(TV Week HDTV Newsletter) August 3, 2006

The fan base for Joss Whedon's space-Western TV series "Firefly" has grown exponentially since its short-lived 2002 run on Fox. Canceled after 11 episodes due to low ratings, published reports said the series went on to sell more than 300,000 copies when released on DVD the next year.

The sales impressed Universal, which greenlighted Mr. Whedon's feature film spinoff "Serenity." The film was released in 2005 and garnered rave reviews from critics and fans, but only managed to break even at the box office. Even after three years on store shelves, "Firefly" earlier this week ranked 36th in DVD sales on Amazon. The more recently released "Serenity" ranked 64th.

Now the series is being made available in HD. Universal has remastered the show's 35mm print to 1080i high definition for a Sept. 24 debut on UHD, a network spokesperson confirmed.

The unveiling of a widescreen HD version format of a short-lived 2002 series is as unusual as the program's resurrection as a cult hit and theatrical movie. Typically a series is either shot in widescreen high definition and broadcast that way, or shot on video or film in standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

But "Firefly" was shot on film (which can be converted to HD) and in widescreen, two years before Fox started broadcasting HD programming.

According to the "Firefly" DVD commentary, Mr. Whedon (best known as the showrunner for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel") battled with Fox over the widescreen issue. He said he filmed the show's actors on the extreme sides of the frame so Fox would have no choice but to air the show in his preferred format.

It was one of several battles between Mr. Whedon and the network, which aired episodes of the serialized drama out of order and pre-empted the show with sports. But Mr. Whedon's seemingly impractical decision to shoot "Firefly" in widescreen aided the show's DVD sales (collectors prefer that format) which in turn spawned the movie, and now enables a proper HD presentation.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=212
post #14142 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV View Post

fredfa, speaking of ratings, do you know when the Nielsen folks will be releasing the new DMA rankings for the upcoming season?

George usually that comes in late August or early September.

It should be available in a few weeks.

I'll post the 2006-2007 DMA list when I see it from Nielsen.
post #14143 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Sports On TV
(TV Week HDTV Newsletter) August 3, 2006

The fan base for Joss Whedon's space-Western TV series "Firefly" has grown exponentially since its short-lived 2002 run on Fox. Canceled after 11 episodes due to low ratings, published reports said the series went on to sell more than 300,000 copies when released on DVD the next year.

The sales impressed Universal, which greenlighted Mr. Whedon's feature film spinoff "Serenity." The film was released in 2005 and garnered rave reviews from critics and fans, but only managed to break even at the box office. Even after three years on store shelves, "Firefly" earlier this week ranked 36th in DVD sales on Amazon. The more recently released "Serenity" ranked 64th.

Now the series is being made available in HD. Universal has remastered the show's 35mm print to 1080i high definition for a Sept. 24 debut on UHD, a network spokesperson confirmed.

The unveiling of a widescreen HD version format of a short-lived 2002 series is as unusual as the program's resurrection as a cult hit and theatrical movie. Typically a series is either shot in widescreen high definition and broadcast that way, or shot on video or film in standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

But "Firefly" was shot on film (which can be converted to HD) and in widescreen, two years before Fox started broadcasting HD programming.

According to the "Firefly" DVD commentary, Mr. Whedon (best known as the showrunner for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel") battled with Fox over the widescreen issue. He said he filmed the show's actors on the extreme sides of the frame so Fox would have no choice but to air the show in his preferred format.

It was one of several battles between Mr. Whedon and the network, which aired episodes of the serialized drama out of order and pre-empted the show with sports. But Mr. Whedon's seemingly impractical decision to shoot "Firefly" in widescreen aided the show's DVD sales (collectors prefer that format) which in turn spawned the movie, and now enables a proper HD presentation.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=212

Kudos to Mr. Whedon for "helping" bring FOX into the 21st century.
post #14144 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

This should be posted in the Firefly on UHD thread. Ok, so they have remastered the 35mm film parts. But I have read that all the CGI was done at SD and presumably there are mixed (or whatever the technical term is) shots with cast members looking out a window at CGI stuff and the like. Are these parts going to be upconverted?? Oh well, I hope my Adelphia system, now owned by Comcast, adds UHD by then, so I can participate in what I expect will be VERY long threads on "is this really HD or not?".
post #14145 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

This should be posted in the Firefly on UHD thread.

Done.
post #14146 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Verizon pulls plug on N.H. cable plan
By Gordon Fraser
Eagle-Tribune

Before it even got in, Verizon Communications is pulling out of the New Hampshire cable television business, at least for now, a company spokeswoman said yesterday.

Since 2004, the telecommunications giant has spent billions of dollars across the country, laying fiber optic cable, creating a platform to offer telephone, Internet and cable television service. Many local government officials eagerly awaited Verizon's arrival, which they said would bring competition and lower prices to a market dominated by a single cable provider in each community.

Instead, Verizon spokeswoman Jill Wurm said the company has sent equipment and franchise negotiators intended for New Hampshire to New Jersey, where a single franchise agreement can be negotiated at the state level.

In the Granite State, Verizon would have to negotiate with each of the 23 communities in which it has installed fiber optic cable.

"So, since that's the mode of operation in New Hampshire, everything ... got reallocated," Wurm said.

She said Verizon could reinvest in New Hampshire as soon as six months from now, but said she couldn't guarantee any timeline.

"We're disappointed," said lawyer Robert Ciandella, who had been negotiating with Verizon on Salem's behalf. "We were trying to ... conduct a very effective franchise negotiation."

Ciandella's firm, Donahue, Tucker and Ciandella of Exeter, was negotiating on behalf of five other New Hampshire towns, as well, Ciandella said.

Like many towns, Salem had an "ascertainment" hearing last spring, he said. The hearing gave public officials and residents an opportunity to discuss the town's needs and goals for cable access. After that, Verizon had 30 days to submit a proposal and begin negotiations.

It never did.

Within the last few weeks, Ciandella said, the company contacted him to say it was not pursuing negotiations in New Hampshire.

Ciandella said the company does have a track record of seeking legislative solutions to the problem of negotiating town by town. "Verizon is exploring whether there's a political strategy that would allow it to avoid (local negotiations)," he said.

Wurm acknowledged Verizon has made efforts across the country to change laws requiring them to negotiate franchise agreements locally.

But, Wurm said, the company hasn't yet called for legislation in New Hampshire to change franchise procedure.

"We have not filed any legislation specific to that in New Hampshire just yet," she said.

The company could propose legislation as late as this fall to introduce a bill for the legislative session in January.

If such legislation were to go forward, it could affect a funding source for local governments. Companies pay a franchise fee to use local infrastructure.

In an earlier interview, Atkinson Town Administrator Russell McAllister said his town makes about $80,000 per year from its franchise agreement with Comcast.

But because money from the franchise agreement is based on the total number of customers, towns would not likely earn more money with the introduction of a new company. As cable companies split customers, so, too, would they split the cost of operating a franchise, Ciandella said.

Salem Town Administrator Henry LaBranche yesterday criticized Verizon's decision.

"I find their strategy rather bewildering," he said. "If, indeed, they've pulled out of the process, it's a rather premature reaction on their part."

http://www.eagletribune.com/siteSear...4155904?page=0
post #14147 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #14148 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
NFL Net Still Benched on Time Warner
By John Eggerton Broadcasting & Cable 8/3/2006

At almost 6 p.m. Thursday, Time Warner had not yet restored the NFL Network to its newly acquired Adelphia and Comcast systems as it sought some avenue of appeal.

At about 10:30 a.m., the FCC let the press know it had ordered Time Warner to restore the network to those systems "immediately," An FCC spokeswoman was trying to determine at press time what "immediate" meant precisely, what appeal process Time Warner might have, and what the FCC's recourse for noncompliance might be.

The FCC said the NFL had made a case that the Time Warner move could do the network "irreparable harm," while keeping it on would not pose a similar hardship on Time Warner, since the carriage fight between NFL Network and the cable operator was not that Time Warner didn't want the channel, but that it didn't want it at NFL's price or terms.

The NFL "is not on at this moment," said Time Warner spokesman Mark Harrad. "We're reviewing the order to see what avenues of appeal are available to us. Whatever action we take will be dependent on that." It was not clear whether that would be an FCC appeal or a court challenge.

The FCC has not ruled on an NFL Network program carriage complaint filed earlier this week against Time Warner, but it has concluded that it is in the public's interest to keep the network on Time Warner while it tries to resolve it.

In that complaint, the NFL argued that Time Warner did not give the requisite 30-day notice before it pulled the network Aug. 1. Time Warner says it did. The FCC Thursday said the NFL Network had made a sufficient case for insufficient notice to warrant restoring the network while it judged the complaint.

Time Warner wants the NFL network to anchor a digital sports tier, while NFL wants to be in the most popular basic package.

The NFL is said to be asking $100 million for the package, or in the neighborhood of 90 cents per sub per month. If so, that is high by cable network standards. At the high end, ESPN gets three dollars a sub, but the bulk of top-tier cable nets are in the 20 cent-50 cent range.

The NFL Network has acquired some negotiating muscle since getting a package of regular-season games, the first in its history.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6359427
post #14149 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

The NFL "is not on at this moment," said Time Warner spokesman Mark Harrad. "We're reviewing the order to see what avenues of appeal are available to us. Whatever action we take will be dependent on that." It was not clear whether that would be an FCC appeal or a court challenge.

so even when TWC are ordered to put it back on by the FCC, and NFL Network say they have given them a free 30 day pass to carry it to the consumer, they still won't.

TWC are really showing their true colors here.

post #14150 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would guess there is behind the scenes negotiating going on here -- even though, at last report, the NFL said there were no talks ongoing.

The 30-day reinstatement really outs TWC's back to the wall -- it runs out just as the season begins.

By the way, are the TWC (or any providers' to be fair) true colors a surprise?
post #14151 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

By the way, are the TWC (or any providers' to be fair) true colors a surprise?

in public, yes. They should be screwing the customer with private deals that we are not aware of, like all businesses do. When you get backed into a corner in public at least make some effort to pretend you care!

post #14152 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
ABC bets on a big win
Will fall season leave ABC out on a limb?
By Hal Boedeker Orlando Sentinel Television Critic August 3, 2006

PASADENA, Calif. -- -The big story of the coming television season, and the one with the most local implications, will be ABC's health.

Katie Couric might generate more headlines for her Sept. 5 debut on the CBS Evening News, but ABC's risk-taking will have a greater influence on the season. The many Disney employees in Central Florida will have reason to watch closely how Disney-owned ABC performs.

The television critics' summer press tour, which ended last week after 18 days, provided these snapshots: CBS and Fox look mighty sturdy. NBC seems ready to rebound, thanks to stronger new series and the addition of Sunday-night football.

But ABC remains a puzzle. That network will offer the strongest new series: Ugly Betty, a delightful comedy with America Ferrera, elicited more positive buzz than any new series. ABC has another strong contender in The Nine, a haunting drama about hostage survivors with Scott Wolf, Chi McBride and Tim Daly.

ABC gave encouraging previews of more new series. Men in Trees, a romantic drama, follows a relationship coach (Anne Heche) who relocates to an Alaska town where men outnumber women 10 to 1. Series creator Jenny Bicks, who wrote for Sex and the City, made a forceful pitch for her new show.

U.S. critics haven't seen Brothers & Sisters, a drama with Calista Flockhart of Ally McBeal, Rachel Griffiths of Six Feet Under and Patricia Wettig of thirtysomething. ABC didn't screen the show, which will follow Desperate Housewives on Sundays, because of casting and script changes. The biggest switch: Oscar-winner Sally Field is coming aboard as the mother, replacing Broadway star Betty Buckley. But Canadian critics had seen the earlier version and raved about it.

One critic noted that ABC's decision to debut 10 series in the fall probably ensures that the network will have a rough season. Scheduling so many new series has never worked.

"Does that mean I don't have to do the press tour next year?" Steve McPherson, president of ABC Entertainment, shot back.

His gallows humor underscored the many risks that ABC faces. It will start Mondays without football.

It needs Desperate Housewives to rebound from a spotty second season. If it doesn't, viewers will have a strong alternative in CBS' Cold Case.

ABC hopes viewers will follow Grey's Anatomy to Thursdays, where it will face CSI.

The network has to keep viewers hooked with the unusual, repeat-free scheduling of Lost: six or seven new episodes in the fall, with the balance airing next year. When Lost is off the schedule, ABC will start Day Break, a 13-week thriller with Taye Diggs.

"We know it's an aggressive schedule," McPherson says. "We're rebuilding. We've got a lot of work to do."

No new ABC series from last fall -- a crop that included Commander in Chief and Invasion -- survived to a second season. With so many new series this season, ABC is almost certain to have more failures than its competition. Its new comedies seem the most vulnerable.

But by swinging for the fences, ABC also gives viewers the most reasons to hope. ABC took major chances two seasons ago, when Lost and Desperate Housewives debuted in the fall (and Grey's Anatomy followed in the spring). ABC needs a repeat of that success story.

The situation is certainly looking up at NBC, which has a roster of promising series. Chief among them are Friday Night Lights, a drama about a high-school football team in Texas, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, a backstage drama about a troubled TV show. The latter comes from West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin.

"Our ratings will definitely be better," Kevin Reilly, president of NBC Entertainment, promises. "I believe we have new series that will emerge as amongst the best on television."

The fall will probably bring more good news to ratings leaders CBS and Fox. CBS has the show that seems the surest bet to be a big hit: Shark, a drama with James Woods as a prosecutor, inherits the post-CSI slot.

Fox is offering Justice, a glossy drama about big-time defense attorneys. Justice will end each week by giving viewers a flashback containing the definitive answer as to whether the defendant committed the crime -- a nifty twist on legal programs.

The new season brings two new networks that, at closer look, don't seem so new. MyNetworkTV tries to convert telenovelas into a prime-time, English-language habit. The plots, however, will remind viewers of Aaron Spelling's Dynasty, and the actors include such familiar faces as Morgan Fairchild and Bo Derek.

The CW, created by the consolidation of the WB and UPN, doesn't inspire a lot of hope because the new network didn't take many chances.

Keith Marder, a former WB spokesman, kicked off the CW's session by joking that the new network's marketing slogan was "two wrongs don't make a right." Unfortunately, he could be right.

Keep your eyes on ABC, though, because that's where the juiciest story about the new season will be.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/enter...l=orl-caltvtop
post #14153 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
CNN's Daryn Kagan departing to start 'inspirational' website

By Matea Gold Los Angeles Times Staff Writer August 4, 2006

NEW YORK -- CNN anchor Daryn Kagan announced Thursday that she is leaving the cable news network to start a new Web venture she aims to make "an inspirational online community."

Kagan, who will continue to anchor the morning news block "CNN Live Today" until Sept. 1, has been with CNN since 1994, when she was hired out of a local Phoenix station to be a CNN Sports anchor. She began anchoring news coverage in 1998.

In an interview, Kagan called her 12 years at CNN "amazing" but said, "It's just time for the next chapter."

CNN/U.S. President Jonathan Klein said he was sad to see her leave, adding: "Not only is Daryn one of the nicest people I have ever met, but one of the classiest."

Her replacement has not yet been announced.

In November, Kagan is launching her own website, , "based on the radical idea that the world is a good place," she said.

The site, which will be supported by advertising, will feature print, audio and video stories about inspirational topics, along with information about ways to affect change in the world.

"My real vision is that it's going to be a community," she said, adding that she hopes people will contribute their own pieces to the site. "I think there is a hunger for people to belong to something like this."

Kagan said the idea for the site came out of her passion for uplifting stories she's done for CNN, including a recent piece about a quadriplegic radio host who wrote a book of letters for his newborn grandson.

"For me, it's not turning my back on news," she said. "It's just an evolution of what I've been doing."

For now, Kagan said, she's launching the site on her own.

"I'm treating it like the Field of Dreams," she said. "If I build it, they will come."

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et...?coll=cl-tvent
post #14154 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
ABC.com Plans Fall Relaunch; Hit Shows to Be Streamed
By Mike Shields MediaWeek.com AUGUST 03, 2006 -

ABC said it plans to stream more of its prime-time series this fall on a soon-to-be-relaunched ABC.com, following a successful trial run last spring when it offered free, ad-supported episodes of four of its top shows on the Web.

Back in May and June, ABC.com streamed 5.7 million individual episodes of its shows Lost, Desperate Housewives, Alias and Commander in Chief in what the network is touting as a successful experiment in broadband video. According to comScore Media Metrix, roughly 872,000 unique viewers logged on to try out the site's video offerings. "The launch of ABC.com's broadband player was a huge step forward for us as we strategically reposition our Web sites from marketing tools to rich entertainment platforms," said Anne Sweeney, president, Disney-ABC Television Group.

The majority of viewers who streamed episodes of ABC's prime-time hits this past May and June did so within 24 hours of these shows' appearances on air, and most did so because they had missed these shows on TV, according to a research survey conducted for ABC by Frank N. Magid Associates. Roughly two-thirds of those surveyed watched complete episodes, with "missed the episode on TV" cited by respondents as the number one reason for why they watched the shows on the Web.

According to the research, 79 percent of those surveyed claimed to have a positive experience with the site, and 87 percent said they would recommend the site to others, says the research. The program's 10 national advertisers received solid feedback as well, as 87 percent of those surveyed said they were able to recall specific sponsors of the Web shows.

As a result of the positive viewer response, ABC says it will relaunch ABC.com this fall with an enhanced broadband player. "We have been extremely pleased with the consumer feedback from the trial, and are busy working on some minor adjustments to the broadband player in order to again make full episodes available to our consumers this fall," said Albert Cheng, executive vp, digital media, Disney-ABC Television Group.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1002950193
post #14155 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
Are you ready for some football?
(Because you're about to get a truckload of it)
By Michael Hiestand USA Today August 4, 2006

America's most popular TV programming is getting a makeover. The National Football League, in new TV deals kicking off Sunday night when NBC returns to airing NFL action for the first time since 1998, will offer viewers more new wrinkles than they've ever seen in a season.

And the league that each week racks up total TV ratings equivalent to about five nights of the 2006 Winter Olympics or four American Idol episodes and then gets really big ratings for its playoffs will pose this question more pointedly than it's ever been put before: Can there ever be too much NFL TV?

"If there's a theme to our TV now, it's to make it better and, especially, to let fans see more," says Howard Katz, an NFL senior vice president who oversees the league's media. "There seems to be an insatiable appetite."

That might seem impossible. But David Carter, a sports business consultant, doesn't see any limits yet: "Just when you'd guess fans are at wit's end and have no more disposable time for the NFL, they find another reason not to take the dog for a walk or clean the yard."

This season there'll be lots of new ways to feed their appetite. Monday Night Football, moving to ESPN, makes its debut Sept. 11 with a first-ever MNF doubleheader and, on ESPN Deportes, the first MNF games on Spanish-language TV.

The NFL will unveil a Thanksgiving tripleheader and have one Sunday New Year's Eve when both of the networks carrying afternoon games, Fox and CBS, will be allowed to air national doubleheaders.

Viewers who still haven't had enough will be able to get replays of entire games albeit in condensed versions Tuesday and Wednesday nights on the NFL Network, the league's own cable channel. The NFL Network will air regular-season games for the first time via the league's first package of Thursday and Saturday prime-time games.

Excess will be redefined by the NFL Network: Aug. 31, it will whip around viewers for live look-ins on 12 exhibition games being played simultaneously. (The exhibition season begins Sunday night with the Hall of Fame Game between the Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles in Canton, Ohio, 8 ET.)

The NFL TV basics gather enormous Sunday afternoon audiences and top them off with Sunday and Monday prime-time games largely remain the same. But by the standards of the USA's biggest TV draw, suggests the NFL's Katz, "There's enormous change this year."

Changing channels

NFL television coverage was bound to change this season, if only because the league's previous TV rights contracts expired at the end of last season.

NFL network contracts and each network's contracts for its announcers and production staffers usually run concurrently.

That way the league gets one big chance to see how much more money it can make. It counts on the networks to spend lavishly to buy their way into the NFL's TV picture or on incumbent networks to raise the ante to stay in the game.

That jockeying inevitably pays off. In new contracts starting this season, the league will get a total annual average of $3.75 billion a cumulative 53% jump in NFL TV revenue. And the jockeying usually leads to NFL action changing channels and new faces.

Monday Night Football, one of the most successful shows in TV history since it premiered on ABC in 1970, moves to cable. ABC's MNF ratings declined for years, and last season the show drew record-low average game ratings 10.8% of U.S. households. But it remained among the 10 highest-rated shows on TV for the 15th consecutive year.

That was good enough for ESPN, which also is owned by the Disney Co. and has been showing Sunday night NFL games for two decades. ESPN, which looks to marquee action to help justify the industry-high fees it charges cable operators, paid a whopping $1.1 billion annually to get Monday night games, even without getting the NFL to throw in rights to any Super Bowls.

(To illustrate the NFL's TV success, consider that when Fox bought its way into showing NFL games in 1994 by taking games away from CBS in what was then considered an extravagant bid, it paid $400 million annually.)

MNF might see its total viewership decline, given that ESPN reaches about 91 million households, compared with the 111 million that get broadcast TV.

But ESPN will lavish unprecedented hype on MNF, whose famous Hank Williams Jr. theme song has been updated to include Little Richard and Cheap Trick. Each week, ESPN will devote a Super Bowl-like pregame show to its Monday night games that will begin at 3 p.m. ET and include 30 on-air commentators.

Says ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys, "There's not a bigger sports franchise than Monday Night Football."

Dueling showcases

NBC, establishing the NFL's first broadcast network beachhead on TV's most watched night, begs to differ. Its Sunday night broadcasts late in the season will enjoy flexible scheduling meant to give the league the freedom to switch games so NBC won't end up with weak prime-time matchups that plagued ABC's MNF.

NBC will call its series Sunday Night Football and use the game announcers John Madden and Al Michaels and key production staffers who worked on ABC's MNF. NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol suggests there wasn't a need to reinvent the wheel: "There won't be any need to get used to these guys. They've simply been the best; (they) define what the best is."

Madden this season becomes the first announcer to call NFL games on all four major broadcast networks, having gone from CBS to Fox to ABC and, now, NBC. And he gets a grand lead-in to his NBC debut: Saturday, he'll be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He is being inducted for coaching the Raiders to a 103-32-7 record between 1969 and 1978.

Madden, noting he was a Hall finalist 27 years ago, says, "Because I've had to wait so long, this could not be appreciated any more than I appreciate it. ... To say I'm excited about this weekend and this season would be the biggest understatement of the world ever."

Expect plenty of back and forth between ESPN and NBC about which has the biggest NFL night. ESPN plans a little guerilla tactic: This fall it will begin showing Sunday night college football games.

Fewer extras

Not everything about NFL TV is getting bigger. Sideline reporting during games, which is so restricted by the league that reporters can't get at much news, will shrink: CBS and the NFL Network won't use sideline reporters.

And networks, at least so far, haven't announced any razzle-dazzle production technology. That's partly because the league, despite its insatiable appetite for TV money, is conservative about on-screen commercialism during games. It won't allow networks to sponsor any "in-game enhancements" meaning networks can't get sponsors to pick up the tab for fancy new on-screen gimmicks.

Fox, known as the NFL's most flamboyant carrier, is even cutting back on its glitz.

The network surveyed viewers, Fox senior vice president Gary Hartley says, and found that Fox's many sound effects, blinking lights and animated graphics were seen as "pointless and annoying."

So they'll be reduced. However, he says, Fox is bringing back the on-screen robots that pop up on its coverage: "We found we've lost some of the attitude we've projected in the past. Robots are sacred ground for that."

Fox also will test the idea of letting consumers send in uploaded digital photos of their tailgate parties with some of those photos going on TV.

Says Hartley, "It's an effort to say we're talking to you, not at you."

And the NFL's Katz hints at a test that might really break new ground. In the preseason, he says, ESPN will be allowed to have a camera operator run onto the field for close-ups, but only with plenty of restrictions to keep from interfering with play. If the league deems the test acceptable, other networks will be allowed to bring their cameras on-field this season.

Fans probably will love it. But could the NFL's expanded TV buffet, and the unprecedented hype expected from NFL TV carriers, finally be too much?

"The NFL is the consummate promoter," consultant Carter says. "But that doesn't mean that fans might not find all this over-the-top at a time when they're inundated by sports generally. But I wouldn't bet on it."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...tv-cover_x.htm
post #14156 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sports On TV
NFL on TV: Flexibility=Fewer Duds
By Michael Hiestand USA Today August 4, 2006

TV networks carrying Sunday afternoon NFL games can make situational substitutions. CBS and Fox, carrying games being played simultaneously, can adjust to what's happening in the league by assigning top games involving hot teams to lots of TV markets - and keep dud matchups in fewer households.

But what if you're carrying just one NFL game nationally?

That often was the case with ABC's Monday Night Football. The NFL tried to assign marquee matchups to its primetime showcase, but its on-field parity, which helps make it such a TV draw, played havoc with MNF. In the last four games of MNF's last three seasons - 12 games when playoff races were hottest - MNF got just one game involving two teams with winning records.

ABC lobbied for a way to help it avoid games with losers - but never got one.

This season, Sundays will be different. NBC's Sunday Night Football, for Weeks 10-15 and Week 17, will get the league's first-ever flexible scheduling as games in afternoon time slots are moved to primetime - in what's seen as an acceptable inconvenience to teams and fans.

For now, NBC's matchups in those flex weeks are listed as "to be determined" - although the league has made tentative game assignments. NBC's primetime matchups will be announced 12 days in advance - six days in advance in Week 17 - as the NFL chooses which games move to primetime.

The league won't have complete freedom of choice. Fox and CBS can each protect five of its afternoon games from being moved - although only one per weekend - during the seven weeks of flexible scheduling. NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol acknowledges limits to how much flex scheduling can help the network on what is usually TV's most competitive night: "Will flex scheduling bring us the absolute premier game every week? Probably not. But it will eliminate altogether the weak (games) in the past."

TV consultant Neal Pilson says flexing might only end up raising NBC's average game ratings by 0.2% of U.S. households, "but it's a great promotional tool."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...tv-cover_x.htm
post #14157 of 25503 Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't usually post a lot of development stories, but I know there are a lot of Sci Fi fans in the forum, so....

TV Notebook
Fox pickups supernatural
Adds 2 sci-fi pilots to drama slate

By Nellie Andreeva The Hollywood Reporter

Fox is adding a sci-fi flavor to its drama development slate with put pilot commitments to "Amy After Dark," from writer John Scott Shepherd and Emmy-winning director Todd Holland, and an untitled drama from writer Christian Taylor.

"Dark," from 20th Century Fox TV, centers on a young female attorney in New York who joins the undead after she is bitten by a vampire.

Shepherd will write the script, and 20th TV-based Holland is set to direct the pilot. Both are executive producing.

Shepherd, who created the ABC series "The Days," also penned the features "Joe Somebody" and "Life or Something Like It."

Holland, a three-time Emmy winner for his directing work on Fox's "Malcolm in the Middle" and HBO's "The Larry Sanders Show," most recently directed the feature "Firehouse Dog" for 20th Century Fox.

The untitled Taylor project, which is yet to be set up at a studio, centers on an energetic young police detective with a secret: Behind his youthful appearance, he actually is centuries old.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002949785
post #14158 of 25503 Old 08-04-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I never thought I would be in this predicament. I am moving to Italy for about a year and my Tivos can't possibly record everything I want to watch.

24 and probably AI, will be at the top of my list. Not sure what else to protect yet.

What's worse is that I am leaving on the 14th and I don't think a lot of the new shows will be listed in the Tivo Guide for me to try out.

If it wasn't for the dumb 2 year activation commitmment, I would buy another high capacity HD-Tivo just to record that much more HD.

rather be lucky than good.
post #14159 of 25503 Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Have you looked into weakknees...they'll add a massive hard drive for your HD TiVos....
or how about Slingbox, which allows you to watch what you want where you want as long as you have the account set up back in NJ? (You could watch in Italy from your DirecTV setup iback home.)
post #14160 of 25503 Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

TV Notebook
Time Warner Reinstates NFL Net
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/4/2006 8:42:00 AM

As of midnight,Time Warner complied with the FCC's order to put the NFL Network back on in systems it has just acquired from Comcast and Adelphia, but it has appealed the order to the full commission and has begun running a crawl on the channel warning viewers it may take it off again.

The FCC had issued its order Thursday morning, but Time Warner held off complying while it considered its options for appeal.

Time Warner had pulled the network from the new systems Aug. 1, with the NFL Network immediately asking the FCC for relief,saying the move could cause irreparable harm and saying Time Warner had not given the requisite 30-day notification.

The FCC's Media Bureau concluded that the NFL had made a sufficiently strong case to justify the order and that it was in the public's interest to see the games, particularly as the pre-season begins and viewing patterns are set.

The two sides have been in a battle over terms of carriage of the network, including the price and where the network would be carried, in a sports tier, as Time Warner wants, or on the basic package, where the NFL Network wants to be.

Time Warner released a statement Friday:

"At midnight last night, Time Warner Cable reinstated the NFL Network on those systems it earlier this week acquired from Adelphia and Comcast, where the network had been available.

"The channel appears in the same position and tier as it did before it was removed three days earlier. Time Warner Cable still does not have a license agreement to carry the network, but has put the channel back on its systems in order to comply with the FCC's Order issued by its Media Bureau Thursday.

"Because we still do not have a contract with the NFL Network, we have also begun the official 30 day-notification period with an on-screen crawl that began running last night at midnight alerting our customers that the network may be withdrawn again should we not be able to conclude an agreement with the NFL Network.

"Time Warner Cable believes that the Media Bureau's Order is wrong as a matter of law. Accordingly, last night we filed papers with the FCC appealing the Order to the full Commission.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...leID=CA6359461
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page