Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Everything about the on screen graphics suggests it's not a problem, but that they are doing it on purpose.

Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn
Everything about the on screen graphics suggests it's not a problem, but that they are doing it on purpose.

Hammer
What makes you say that?

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #33 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What time did it start? The HD-TiVo guide says 9:00PM but I'm getting DataLine @ 9pm
post #34 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The graphics (NBC logo, NBC promos) would be off screen if they sent it out in full 16X9, unless they stripped the graphics and correctly re-inserted them. I don't know...

Hammer
post #35 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well at 46 minutes past the hour they switched the feed to HD. The show is being letterboxed on the analog channel, which explains the odd positioning you were seeing when they were showing the analog feed on the HD channel.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #36 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Here in Minneapolis/St Paul we received the first 45 minutes in HD. HD picture was very sharp. The colors were quite vibrant for effect. My receiver indicated that the sound was DD 5.1 but I did not check the individual speakers to confirm sound from all five. About the last 15 minutes the picture reverted letterboxed SD. What is interesting is that NBC ran the SD version in letterboxed format. Hopefully we will be seeing more of this in the future as it permits the HD program to be framed to take full advantage of wide screen. Sporting events would benefit greatly if they were not shot to protect the 4:3 area for SD broadcast.

Jep
post #37 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:10 PM

Way to go KNBC! First Father of the Pride and now this. Why must they treat HD viewers as third rate. CBS never seems to have any problems... heck I even swiched over the WB and they even show HD for a rerun episode of Smallville. This is just so frustrating....:(
post #38 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McDubJr
Way to go KNBC! First Father of the Pride and now this. Why must they treat HD viewers as third rate. CBS never seems to have any problems... heck I even swiched over the WB and they even show HD for a rerun episode of Smallville. This is just so frustrating....:(
Was there a problem with Father of the Pride? I glanced at it last night in the TiVo and it looked like it was all in HD.

Speaking of KNBC, is anybody experiencing glitches on the digital channel? I've never had breakups on KNBC before so I'm a bit concerned.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #39 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:24 PM

not even gonna bother with the non-HD that tivo'd earlier. it's on 2 more times this week so hopefully i'll have better luck with one of those. no point in watching ivan sergei if he's not in HD!! :D
post #40 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 PM

Father of The Pride started out 16:9 with lots of glitches and evetually died for about 2 minutes and then went to 4:3
post #41 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Hunt
All I know is NBC just keeps begging me to stop watching their network. The local affiliate in Indianapolis is just awful.
Amen. I can not believe this. Brand new show premiere. We've been getting blasted with the adds for over 2 weeks and when it's showtime, they stumble all over their you-know-whats. Shocking really, the sloppy quality control sets new lows.

Jim
post #42 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 135
KNBC-DT screwed up again. 4x3 letteboxed. I came back later and they'd fixed it at some point but by then I'd already started watching something else. Oh well.

They're like a bunch of 5th graders who, coming back from summer vavation, forget everything they learned last year.
post #43 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

[CSI:] Hawaii started off great in Minneapolis (5.1 sound but the picture was soft). Then the network shrank the picture and changed to 2.1 sound just so they could tell us twice about Kobe getting off (surprise, surprise!). They took their sweet time going back to 5.1 and widescreen... and then the local affiliate, KARE-11, forgot (again!) to flip the switch after a commercial, leaving Twin Citians with a degraded show.

It was then that the two of us decided to stop watching and delete the recording. The plot and the dialogue were both unintelligible, anyway.

Rhetorical question: Why do the local personnel repeatedly forget to flip the switch? Can you say unpaid intern? (After all, the station can't make any money off their HD stuff, 'cause Nielsen isn't measuring the audience. So why waste the time of a paid employee on this HD crap?)

About Kobe: That wasn't really newsworthy. Maybe NBC could break in to tell us if the alleged victim pulled a gun on Kobe and his lawyers in court. Now there's a story! But don't pretend that Kobe going free is a big deal.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #44 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 PM

Are they showing the Us open in actual hd or otherwise ?
post #45 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

CBS is presenting it in HD and USA is simulcasting their part on Bravo HD.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #46 of 79 Old 09-01-2004, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Not impressed with (CSI) Hawaii. Technical problems aside, this show just was kind of silly. A detective that jumps off a dock that can't swim? Somehow a headless body from Oahu gets thrown in the volcano, which is on the Big Island - a 45 minute flight or days away by boat? A car chase in Waikiki is suddenly in Kailua? A drug bust where fish are found stuffed with crystal meth, and the detectives take the drugs out and give the fish to the Japanese man to pay for his shot up boat?:rolleyes: I think I'll stick with the real CSI's, and watch North Shore for my dose of Hawaii scenery.
post #47 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got only background noise on Hawaii tonight, WTHR Indianapolis
post #48 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mitchrc
Was there a problem with Father of the Pride? I glanced at it last night in the TiVo and it looked like it was all in HD.

Speaking of KNBC, is anybody experiencing glitches on the digital channel? I've never had breakups on KNBC before so I'm a bit concerned.
Yea, I had audio glitches every few seconds, also in LA. No HD. Turned this garbage show off after 15 minutes. Even if the show was decent, between the audio problems and lack of HD, I wouldn't have watched this show. NBC is a waste of time to watch.
post #49 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chriš
Technical problems aside, this show just was kind of silly.
Amen. Here in Boston, we also got switched to a SD crawl (they shrank the 16:9 program to the upper right corner of a 4:3 frame and then put the Kobe crawl underneath that), but they switched right back. But other than the total lack of newsworthiness of the issue, the way they implemented the crawl wasn't objectionable.

Unfortunately, there's not much the affiliates can do about the quality of the show itself. Even if they'd all delivered it perfectly, it still was just a lousy show. The characters weren't interesting and the plot was just ridiculous. And they really didn't even do the scenery all that well either. Most of the time we seemed to be in a grimy office, or a warehouse, or some other garden variety cop show kind of place.
post #50 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I only saw it for a couple seconds but did it seem to have loads of red/orange push ala navy ncis?
post #51 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Erickson
What time did it start? The HD-TiVo guide says 9:00PM but I'm getting DataLine @ 9pm
Looks like on the West coast, it started at 8pm. I completely missed it due to the schedules (Tivo, TitanTV) showing it starting at 9.

But it looks like we didn't miss much.
post #52 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was really suprised when I saw this thread title. I flipped on this Hawaii show for just a few minutes but I was immediatley impressed with how good it looked at my house. It was truly a flawless looking production. In fact, the first thought that crossed my mind when I flipped to the channel was "wow, HD just keeps getting better and better".

This was on Comcast HD cable in Chicago.

post #53 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by the3dwizard
Audio screwed up here. Background music only!
Me too... What a waste. Can't say the show really grabbed me. It's no CSI that's for sure. Well glad it wasn't just me...

Eric

-- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
post #54 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've stopped watching all Network television. This kind of thing was what put me over the edge.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #55 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerriot
I was really suprised when I saw this thread title. I flipped on this Hawaii show for just a few minutes but I was immediatley impressed with how good it looked at my house. It was truly a flawless looking production. In fact, the first thought that crossed my mind when I flipped to the channel was "wow, HD just keeps getting better and better".

This was on Comcast HD cable in Chicago.
It also looked very good via Comcast HD here in Atlanta. Can't comment on the sound as I have no sound system hooked up to that particular set but the PQ was good for the limited time that I watched this. Sounds like there were a number of local station issues elsewhere.
post #56 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 09:27 AM

If the techs at KNBC were air traffic controllers, we'd have a lot of trouble. I wonder if they forget to put on their socks and underwear before leaving the house for work.

C'mon, guys. All of us HD junkies expect professionalism. That means switches thrown at the right time, sound coming in nice and clear, etc., etc. Anything less is a sin -- especially in Los Angeles, where most of these show creators reside!
post #57 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mitchrc
I'm really getting tired of KNBC! They constantly forget to throw the switch!
They have a problem In Philly as well but the PQ was great and I got no pixelation during fast movements. PQ wise, this is the best show NBC has put on, that being said I give this show 4 episodes before it is gone. The show is bad on writing and concept. Also Michael Biehn has never been on a series that has stayed past the first season.

May HD be with you always

DarthJedi

XBOX LIVE: ForceFields
post #58 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It would be great to hear from a knowledgable NBC technician who can explain what happened. Obviously both the East Coast and West Coast feeds had issues.
post #59 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
cneth said:
Here in Boston, we also got switched to a SD crawl (they shrank the 16:9 program to the upper right corner of a 4:3 frame and then put the Kobe crawl underneath that), but they switched right back. But other than the total lack of newsworthiness of the issue, the way they implemented the crawl wasn't objectionable.
Wasn't objectionable??? They shrank the 16:9 program to a corner of a 4:3 frame, and that wasn't objectionable?

In Minneapolis the 16:9 program shrank to the middle of the wide screen in order to allow the crawl to be shown below it. That seemed very inconsiderate to me, but what you describe is unimaginably gross.

The crawl's typography looked so unusual and so professional to me that I assumed the network was doing it. In fact, it's still hard for me to believe we didn't see the same thing. Maybe your description needs revising.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #60 of 79 Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 AM

Liked: 11
No HD Hawaii here in San Diego either. I guess we should cut these people some slack as HDTV is just getting started...wait a minute, that was SIX years ago... WHAT'S GOING ON???

David
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page