Sightings of Truly New HD Programs on PBS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 273 Old 09-18-2004, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to start this thread to capture any new HD programming spotted on PBS.

This month, the only truly new HD programs I could detect are the last few sessions of Soundstage Second Season.

Any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 273 Old 09-18-2004, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

You could have put a question mark on it. It's an erroneous declaration as it stands and a bit disappointing.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #3 of 273 Old 09-18-2004, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by greywolf
You could have put a question mark on it. It's an erroneous declaration as it stands and a bit disappointing.

I know what you mean. I thought about using the question mark, but decided that the Second Season Soundstage sessions qualified for the subject. (pretty lame excuse I admit)
post #4 of 273 Old 09-18-2004, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

The moderators took care of it.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #5 of 273 Old 09-18-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm glad they also fixed my misspelling. My 13-year-old son is a spelling bee champ, but he's away on a camping trip this weekend. (another lame excuse)
post #6 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Two new HD programs this week:

PBS Hollywood Presents: Cop Shop (PQ is subpar IMO)

Dancers: USA International Ballet Competition
post #7 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That Niagra Falls show on PBS HD has lots of pixelation in it....
post #8 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Soundstage disappeared abruptly from our local PBS lineup. They never showed the Russell Crowe episode or Yes. Meanwhile, they continue to repeat the same exact programs over and over. It's an amazing waste of bandwidth.

I see Austin City Limits on the schedule in HD. One showing a week. Then it's back to four months straight of the Hood vs. the Bismarck, Niagra Falls (again) and the Desert Continues to Speak to the American Family.

Surely PBS can do better than this. I don't mind several repeats, but this is excessive, and the best shows are not repeated or only repeated once.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #9 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 AM

Love to see Austin City Limits in HD

What's happened to Soundstage

that's my favorite HD show.
post #10 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by chroma601
Surely PBS can do better than this. I don't mind several repeats, but this is excessive, and the best shows are not repeated or only repeated once.

Maybe they want us to buy their DVDs of each program?
post #11 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

On KCET this week they showed Nova: Origins part 1 on the HD channel, but not part 2. Don't understand that. (The show looked like HD to me, but I don't have the highest resolution monitor.)

Mojo

Morris Jones
Monrovia, CA
http://www.whiteoaks.com
Old Town Astronomers: http://www.otastro.org
post #12 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Morris Jones
On KCET this week they showed Nova: Origins part 1 on the HD channel, but not part 2. Don't understand that. (The show looked like HD to me, but I don't have the highest resolution monitor.)

Mojo

Origins part II did air on the PBS HD national feed. It's odd that KCET DT didn't pass it through. In any event, Origins was not produced in HD. Though, it wasn't bad for SD.
post #13 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

how many pbs stations around the country are actually broadcasting a proper full bitrate HD channel?

There really isn't a point to PBS programming anymore..quite a few markets are multicasted to hell(6 channels) so the channel is just brutal looking
post #14 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Rakesh, none I'd imagine. I belive the FCC requires a rather large percentage of the station's analog programming to be simulcast.
post #15 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Rakesh.S
how many pbs stations around the country are actually broadcasting a proper full bitrate HD channel?

There really isn't a point to PBS programming anymore..quite a few markets are multicasted to hell(6 channels) so the channel is just brutal looking

In the Twin Cities market the PBS affiliate has two channels allocated (which it had before the transition with channels 2 and 17). One is used just for HD while the other one does all the multichannel programming. On the other hand the ABC, NBC and FOX affiliates have their single channel split between HD and SD. The NBC weather map is particularly sad since that bandwidth could be used so much more productively if they sent truly digital data rather than a digital copy of low res analog data. For instance they could periodically send out a high resolution, "zoomable" ground image and update it with a current high resolution cloud cover overlay, or wind direction and speed vectors, or barometric readings, or temperature readings color encoded, or rain or snow accumulation statistics. Of course no digital TV other than your PC running specific software, would be able to display such data. But imagine what could be done with a few free megabits per second of free bandwidth which is currently gouged out of the HD NBC channel to present the current lame weather radar. To see something like the possibilities I'm describing take a look at keyhole.com and some of the overlays available for it. There is a time limited free demo download available at their web site. Sadly it is PC only but that should work for the majority and those Mac and Linux users among us who maintain a PC just for such cases.

I'd also like to take issue with the there isn't a point to PBS programming. I suppose it could be easily maintained that they provide far less than one might hope but I've found many of their HD programs like the recovery of scrolls from Herculaneum and the Roman fires to be stunning and unlikely to be provided anywhere else.
post #16 of 273 Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by TMilner
Love to see Austin City Limits in HD

I remember when this show was first aired. We used to be sure to tune in just to hear the stereo sound. If memory serves, it was the first TV show to utilize Dolby Surround.

With that setting and live audience wouldn't 5.1DD be great.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #17 of 273 Old 10-08-2004, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I'm getting pretty frustrated with PBS. There's the multi-casting issue which starves HD of bandwidth (multicasting 5, count 'em 5 subchannels). But more importantly, they seem to be losing their way; their reason for being in the first place. My local PBS station here in Charlotte recently announced that they were dropping Frontline, perhaps the most important show PBS does. Why? Because last year Frontline did an episode dealing with how large U.S. corporations evade taxes through elaborate shelters that skirt the very edges of legality while ethically reprehensible. One of the companies exposed was Wachovia, the banking giant based here in Charlotte, and a big corporate supporter of WTVI. Next thing you know, Frontline's not on their schedule next year. Outrageous. And Soundstage in HD? Forget it. They're showing BBC sitcom retreads and other similar fluff instead. I'm sick of it; they'll get no more contributions from this household, and I have told them why.
post #18 of 273 Old 10-08-2004, 07:11 AM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeLV
Rakesh, none I'd imagine. I belive the FCC requires a rather large percentage of the station's analog programming to be simulcast.

Here in Denver last time I checked (havent paid much attention lately), the main PBS channel, KRMA, simulcasts their analog programming from 6 am to 6 pm to satisfy that requirement and then switches over to the National PBS HD feed for the other 12 hours.

They arent running any subchannels so the quality is good but every time I tune to it in the evenings it's most always something I've already seen or otherwise not interested in. Which is why I havent tuned in much at all lately as I said and why the 12/12 scenario I mentioned above may not exactly be accurate these days. Maybe it's 15/9 anymore, who knows.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
post #19 of 273 Old 10-08-2004, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chroma601
Soundstage disappeared abruptly from our local PBS lineup. They never showed the Russell Crowe episode or Yes. Meanwhile, they continue to repeat the same exact programs over and over. It's an amazing waste of bandwidth.

Sorry to get off-topic here, but I assume you mean WHYY in Philadelphia.
I concur about the amazing waste of bandwidth, but
they did show the Russell Crowe Soundstage (I recorded it) and I saw
the Yes concert in passing. I noted that both Soundstage's included the
extremely annoying PBS-HD logo in the upper left hand corner.
It does seem that these programs aren't aired when expected (and not
during prime time). I never did see if the Cyndi Lauper Soundstage was
ever aired in HD.
post #20 of 273 Old 10-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeLV
I belive the FCC requires a rather large percentage of the station's analog programming to be simulcast.

The FCC repealed the simulcast regulation about the time of the NBC HD Olympic broadcast.

I'd love to see KCET now take advantage of that, and drop their subchannel simulcast of the analog channel.

It's certainly a big advantage to have PBS broadcasting HD all the time. A fairly common story I'm sure; when I purchased and installed my first OTA HD receiver, they were the only HD source on the air when I hooked it up. PBS HD was probably the first look for many of us.

Mojo

Morris Jones
Monrovia, CA
http://www.whiteoaks.com
Old Town Astronomers: http://www.otastro.org
post #21 of 273 Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Description on WETA web site says it was shot in HD:

Crater Lake, The Mirror of Heaven -

This program explores one of the most of beautiful and deepest lakes in the world, Crater Lake in southern Oregon. Shot in high-definition to capture the magnificence of the lake and its surrounding area, the film delves into the formation of the lake by a massive volcanic eruption approximately 7,700 years ago, its prominence in Klamath and Modoc Native American history and culture, and the struggle of William Gladstone Steel, Crater Lake's biggest supporter, to designate it as a National Park in 1902, allowing its pristine splendor to be preserved for generations to come. The film includes historical re-enactments, rare vintage lantern slides and sophisticated computer animation. This program is a chance to witness Crater Lake's past and present while enjoying the almost spiritual experience that comes from seeing such awe-inspiring natural beauty.
post #22 of 273 Old 10-15-2004, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwclark
Origins part II did air on the PBS HD national feed. It's odd that KCET DT didn't pass it through. In any event, Origins was not produced in HD. Though, it wasn't bad for SD.

Looked really bad to me.
post #23 of 273 Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no doubt that PBSHD suffers from the lack of programming. But remember, they don't have a lot of sources for funding: no commercials and no pledge drives (thank heavens!).

But we watch it a lot anyway, several hours per week. I guess, except for my sports, we watch DiscoveryHD most, then PBSHD, INHD1&2.

It is really sad that a company can control a TV station like Wachovia did in Charlotte and drop a show like Frontline.

Anyway, Maybe they'll have a new season of "Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa"? It's my wife's favorite.
post #24 of 273 Old 10-15-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
It is really sad that a company can control a TV station like Wachovia did in Charlotte and drop a show like Frontline.

It's not only sad, it's pathetic. Frontline is one of the most important shows produced on any network. They're pretty fearless about exposing the dark, secret underbelly of governmental and corporate abuse. But Charlotte is one of the most white-bread, homogeneous, conservative towns in America and the power brokers who run this city will tolerate nothing that doesn't jive with the sparkling, squeaky-clean image they want to portray to the rest of the country. Wachovia's actions with regard to those tax shelters were scandalous and cost our country millions in revenue, but there was no penalty, no cries of outrage - not a peep, not here where the corporate headquarters is located. I guess only bleeding heart liberals get offended by stuff like that and there ain't many of those in this town (and the few that are are usually browbeaten into silence). Local PBS stations depend on local contributions. Do the math.
post #25 of 273 Old 10-20-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Six hours of HD programming (two hours each: last night, tonight, tomorrow night).

Since there has been no discussion on this HDTV Programming Forum, I'm assuming that very few people here are watching this in HD. PBS is keeping its HD-ness a well-kept secret.
post #26 of 273 Old 10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DTGallagher
Sorry to get off-topic here, but I assume you mean WHYY in Philadelphia.
I concur about the amazing waste of bandwidth, but
they did show the Russell Crowe Soundstage (I recorded it) and I saw
the Yes concert in passing. I noted that both Soundstage's included the
extremely annoying PBS-HD logo in the upper left hand corner.
It does seem that these programs aren't aired when expected (and not
during prime time). I never did see if the Cyndi Lauper Soundstage was
ever aired in HD.

Cindy Lauper Aired in HD i TiVo'd it on WHYY.

webboy@totalconfusion.org
Xbox Gammer Tag: webboy
My Profile
------------------------------------
post #27 of 273 Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

We are watching the PBS Musicals series and enjoying it. Also bought the DVDs. It means I can't watch the playoffs on my big TV, but we all must make sacrifices. Besides, I can't get the playoffs in HD.

It is a shame that the quality music shown by these programs is now relegated to the background while much less talented people make all the money. But at least there are some outlets we can get to enjoy true talent.

Thanks, PBS and PBSHD.

Rich N.
post #28 of 273 Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

One or two friends of mine are producing HD projects for PBS. I caught one taping at a local music festival. I see projects in the works but not aired yet.
http://www.pbase.com/george_thompson/image/30129237
http://www.pbase.com/george_thompson/image/30129209
George

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #29 of 273 Old 10-21-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

In Portland, they simulcast all day except from 8 pm to 11 pm and none of the shows mentioned above has shown.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #30 of 273 Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM

The PQ I get from the VT PBS HD channel is really good most of the time. I'd even compare it to HDNET or Discovery HD I get on satellite.

I also get the NH PBS in HD. They broadcast the exact same HD programming at the same time so I've been able to compare. NHs PQ is nowhere near as good as VTs. When I asked the Vt station engineer about this, I was told it had to do with the type of encoders they use. Vt uses a Tandberg encoder which apparently gives a better signal than the Harris HD encoders that NHPBS uses. Way over my head but I can see the difference.

WaltinVt

A moral wrong is not a civil right
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page