ESPN-HD issue? or something with my setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just noticed in the past few days some extra garbage on the ESPN-HD signal, and I am wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Specifically it is something with their pillarbox HD "logos" on the sides sometimes but not always (maybe just during commercials?) Basically the issue is that there are some horizonal lines about 1/3 of the way down the screen, that get added to their vertical lines in their logo. I first noticed it Monday night watching Monday Night Countdown.

Has anyone else seen this, or is this something that my cable company is messing up, or something with my equipment? I had another change in my system at the same time, but I don't see how that could be it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 12:40 PM

I have been having problems with ESPN HD too from my Cable Co. All there other HD offerings are fine.

What I am seeing is a quick drop out every 30-60 seconds. Sounds very similar to what you are reporting.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ESPN HD has many reported problems what you noted (the original poster) is exactly what i saw as well on my t360
post #4 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of what I am seeing:
LL
post #5 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

By the lack of responses, I assume no one else sees this? (or in a few isolated cases anyway)

You can see it right now during 4:3 programming (college football) and during all ads. The only time it is not visible is during 16:9 programming (SportsCenter) when they show 4:3 highlights.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is your t360 you refer to?
post #6 of 30 Old 10-13-2004, 08:34 PM

Nope, you are not alone. I see the same problem. I get ESPN-HD off of Cablevision of NJ.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 AM

I have the same problem.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Not seeing that on ESPN HD, but I have had problems during commercials with syncing and jittery picture. HD is always great looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 09:25 AM

I have seen the horizontal lines also via Time Warner Cable. They do not affect the viewing area, only the pillar box.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 PM

I see it too , charter cable, los angeles county ca.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I see it as well, and I am fairly sure it recently started.

I am in West Michigan, and ESPN-HD is coming from Dish Network.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't had picture issues, but my a/v receiver is having problems locking on the audio on ESPN HD via D* from time to time over the last couple days.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by spiff72
I see it as well, and I am fairly sure it recently started.

I am in West Michigan, and ESPN-HD is coming from Dish Network.
Here is a picture of mine...looks even worse if you ask me...

Thanks,
Jeff
LL
post #14 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
In the side, who cares?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #15 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 12:43 PM

I'm just happy something else is there besides black bars that the local HD stations put in. It's like some sort of unnecessary mental stress I have to endure whenever I'm watching it. "Please don't let this be an extra long commercial break! Please bring back the show so those bars don't burn into my CRTs!"
post #16 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
agreed, you people all complain too much. Nothing satisfies you, ever. you people are the most choosiest beggers on the planet...
post #17 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ou8thisSN
agreed, you people all complain too much. Nothing satisfies you, ever. you people are the most choosiest beggers on the planet...
Ou8thisSN-

To put your comment back into perspective. The entire reason that I asked this question was because the issue started showing up at the exact same time as a major repair to my TV. (A light engine chassis replacement!) I said in my first post that "I had another change in my system at the same time" and this is what I wanted to make sure was not causing the issue.

I wanted to make sure that I had not gotten any issues in the electronics of my TV with the new change. This issue with ESPN is the first thing I saw when I turned on the new TV, and I had never seen it before in months of watching ESPN-HD.

Before you say that people complain too much please read the entire thread and make sure you understand what was really asked, otherwise just keep your opinion to yourself. Thanks.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

actually i did read the thread. What you thought was a possible problem with your tv, turned out to by a problem experienced by many. So it no longer is a problem that just concerns you, since obviously your tv is not broken.

my problem was generally with comments like this. You bought an HDTV, you obviously have no problems iwth your HD signal, just a problem with ESPN's bars ON THE SIDE when the signal is SD! Dont you think its rediculous to continue a thread which it undoubtly would in which you guys will all inevitably start bashing ESPN for their lack of quality control or whatever you genuieses think of that they havent, in order to give you perfect grey bar up converted SD reception with no artifacting?

i dont know, its more a critique of most members on this topic who always have to interject something negative about any broadcast or show in HD... ohh its not OAR, we cant have that!! Oh, there are blocking issues, oh its dinner time, i cant find my silver spoon!

Just relax and be thankful that some of these networks took pity on us and are broadcasting anything in HD at all, because you know none of them really have to.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

You are correct that this problem was expierenced by many. At the point that it was discovered to be a widespread "issue" I thought the thread would then disappear (as I agree it should). Hopefully the thread will now do just that, disappear.

To your other comments...

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree with you are being a jerk about it in saying it. Everyone is free to discuss/complain about anything we want, and if we didn't, nothing would ever improve because there would be no reason for it to.

The networks that you claim "took pity" on us sometimes even pay attention to us. There are a lot of people who browse this forum looking for complaints about the services/products that they provide. These networks are making more money now that they have a better quality picture for their programming, because the HD brings in more viewers. In the end they only care about one thing: making money because we watch them instead of their competition. And that makes it our right to be able to discuss issues and complain about things that are not right, no matter how little they are.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, they really care what 100,000 viewers of HDTV really think about their service. When Morpheus offered you the choice of two pills, you took the blue pill, didnt you?
post #21 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

And what do you do for a living? I sure don't want to buy anything from wherever you work, because you obviously don't care about your customers in the least.

Come on. Your own posting "Another Reason why I hate D*... " does the exact same thing you are complaining about people doing here. At least be consistent.
post #22 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
In the side, who cares?
Perhaps those individuals who are using AVS forum to discuss their audio-video concerns?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the little things that count? If it's done correctly, nobody notices, but if it's not, the smallest item could cause headaches.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonedeaf
Not seeing that on ESPN HD, but I have had problems during commercials with syncing and jittery picture. HD is always great looking.
tone, this is what I experience. I see the problems on pre-recorded material but the live stuff is good. Hustle was terrible, could not watch it, tried several times. Called D* CSR ....clueless.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah008
And what do you do for a living? I sure don't want to buy anything from wherever you work, because you obviously don't care about your customers in the least.

Come on. Your own posting "Another Reason why I hate D*... " does the exact same thing you are complaining about people doing here. At least be consistent.
thats different, and I am being consistent, I was complaining about D* in general, not their HD offerings, albiet i complained in the wrong forum. Also the comment I made about picture quality was from all channels, on multiple different tvs, therefore it wasnt our problem but D*'s problem. I dont know, i dont really have a big beef with you guys or anything, but its like everytime someone excitedly posts about some show or some movie thats gonnna be on HD on some channel, someone just has to jump in and try to find some flaw with it, like its not OAR, or its just not as clear, or not great 5.1 mix, just seemed like the thread would have escalated in that direction and i was emboldened to make my point even more when I saw Ken say what he did. I mean seriously, who cares? and I think this will be my last response on this matter.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-15-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by onejake
Perhaps those individuals who are using AVS forum to discuss their audio-video concerns?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the little things that count? If it's done correctly, nobody notices, but if it's not, the smallest item could cause headaches.
okay, i lied about that being my last post, i just read this and had to respond: noone should care about what the sidebars look like, and people who point them out cause more problems than they solve, because it makes us all, as a whole more cynical, to read it and then subconsciously think about it when watching tv, and hating the person who brought it up, for now runing this experience. cant we all just use this forum for truely new discussions about HD content, additions, policies, programming, and LARGE OBVIOUS PROBLEMS, not constantly complain over minute stuff that wouldnt be otherwise noticed if not pointed out.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ou8thisSN
okay, i lied about that being my last post, i just read this and had to respond: noone should care about what the sidebars look like, and people who point them out cause more problems than they solve, because it makes us all, as a whole more cynical, to read it and then subconsciously think about it when watching tv, and hating the person who brought it up, for now runing this experience. cant we all just use this forum for truely new discussions about HD content, additions, policies, programming, and LARGE OBVIOUS PROBLEMS, not constantly complain over minute stuff that wouldnt be otherwise noticed if not pointed out.
I hate to admit it, but I *did* notice those little friggin lines after reading the thread.

After a while, I didn't notice anymore.

I apologize to Ken H, he was right to state "Who cares?"...
I'm trying not to now, but those DAMN lines!!!

That constant dripping... Drip........................Drip........................DRIP !!!!!
post #27 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 05:02 PM

I'm surprised this became such a heated thread. My 2 cents is that this forum is a god-send. I saw the friggin lines and thought I was having a problem with my TV or my cable signal or something. It is a relief to come here to see that it isn't just me seeing this. It isn't a big deal, as long as it isn't a specific issue to me.
post #28 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 PM

Yeah I noticed it yesterday on my Panny plasma. It was only visible during the commercials so I just figured ESPN is using a corrupted graphic during those sequences.

As far as the debate is concerned, I think it's safe to say a large portion of the people that come here are hard-core enthusiasts and like to be a little more informed than your typical Consumer Reports type reader, so subtle flaws tend to get noticed.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-18-2004, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Creditmaster
It isn't a big deal, as long as it isn't a specific issue to me.
Bing!

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #30 of 30 Old 10-26-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it looks to me that this problem has gone away. I assume it has for other as well.

I don't know if this had any effect one way or another, but late last week I sent a complaint to ESPN-HD and described this issue. I also pointed them to this thread.

Either way, I am glad this is now fixed.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page