FOX-HD on D* should be LIVE now..? Yes, finally, as of 12/20/04. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 277 Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sigh, it is almost too late for me........after football it doesn't really matter........

My HD DNS days are kaput!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 277 Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 PM

The Tarot Card say no Fox HD by Thanksgiving. Ups, I might be getting in to the Magic Eight Ball territory.

More HD + More Golf = Retired!
post #183 of 277 Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a friend that just today bought a new HDTV and dropped DirecTV and signed up for cable--just because I told him that Fox is not available in HD on DirecTV. As more people get HDTV, they are going to want all of the networks, not with an antenna, but with whatever service provider can deliver them. DirecTV lost a high paying customer today---for just one reason(I swear), and Sunday Ticket will not be enough to get him back. While it's true that next year things will be better at D*(if they even add Fox and ABC by then), they really need to do whatever they can today to get the Fox deal worked out.
Also it was mentioned earlier that the switch could be turned on and we would start getting Fox immediately. I really don't see that happening as DirecTV seems to like to announce a date for launch and even post it on their website. So even if they worked out the deal tomorrow, I bet it would be next week before we would see it.
post #184 of 277 Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

It won't do me any good to switch back to cable. Our Fox affiliate isn't in HD.
post #185 of 277 Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Shall we all pray for a Christmas present? :)
post #186 of 277 Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Sure. Peace on earth.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #187 of 277 Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that may get here first. :)
post #188 of 277 Old 12-03-2004, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Sure. Peace on earth.
Man that sounds bad about it being on D* soon

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #189 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 07:12 AM

Until and if, D* and Fox renew their contract, which had expired a while back; there will be no Fox HD up on D*. I guess they have to careful crosing their T's and dotting their I's because of their agreement with the government, when Fox purchased D*.
post #190 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 AM

herb s. - where do you get info. from that D* and Fox have to renew their deal? News Corp. owns both companies. In addition the analog version of Fox is readily available on D*.
post #191 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally posted by RDJR
News Corp. owns both companies.
NewsCorp owns a controllilng stake in DirecTV, but Fox and DirecTV are still separate corporations. While having a controlling stake in two corporations can effect a synergy between them, it by no means makes it automatic.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #192 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 10:44 AM

RDJR, if my memory serves me correctly, it was on Multichannel News that D* and Fox were in negotiations for a new deal. D* carries the present Fox channels under their old contract even though it has expired. Fox and D* are separate entities, even though Fox has a 34% stake in D*, which gives them effective control.
post #193 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by herb s.
....D* and Fox are in negotiations for a new deal. D* carries the present Fox channels under their old contract even though it has expired. Fox and D* are separate entities, even though Fox has a 34% stake in D*, which gives them effective control.
This is correct, and for some reason not understood by many.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #194 of 277 Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I was under the wrong impression muyself till someone explained it recently in another thread (well at least the part that Rupert only owns 34% of D*)

My prior perception at least was that GM owned all of hughes and hughes owned all of D* and News bought Hughes from GM- so News owned all of D*. And that News owns almost all of FOX. The general media accounts of the merger definately presented it that Rupert was buying D*- not just a controlling interest.

To be honest- even at this point all I understand is that some entity that Rupert controls (news corp or Fox?) owns a controlling stake in D* (which if i get the whole thing is basically the old hughes but renamed because they sold off everything besides D*). I cant even figure how much of news rupert owns. And how much of fox is owned by rupert (or is it owned by news). If I was going to invest or something I'd bother to research it all- but until then i'll pick up bits and peices on these boards till i get it all.

I think we need a primer or something on Rup's holdings and all the relationships- LOL.
post #195 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Let's keep it simple -- where's FOX HD on D*TV??!!?? Any chance for "special" HD broadcasts on D*TV for NFL playoffs and Superbowl??? If not, I will be "forced" to switch to cable -- enough is enough!!! NFL ST's value is over once the playoffs start....
post #196 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 AM

Anyone else have an entry line on their bill for fox hd? I have it on my bill. There is no charge right now, but it showed availablility 11/24 to 12/24 for me. I contacted D* and they told me to reset my receiver since it wasn't showing up in my guide. Obviously they were dead wrong on the reset.
post #197 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 07:56 AM

I'm with you perilous. Contacted Time Warner on Friday. $52.00 for the basic digital package that includes Fox-HD from WNYW. I'm not prepared to pay for both cable and D* so if Fox-HD isn't up by playoff time I may be defecting to cable. I don't want to do it but I"m sick and tired of watching the Giants in SD while the rest of the country (those w/ ST) are watching in HD. The playoffs would be the same situation.
post #198 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 AM

I went the cable route, still have D* but added basic cable with HD locals and a PVR. Basically 15 bucks extra (they knock 5 bucks off my modem) for 3 channels fox, abc and tnt. Let me tell all you D* whiners, the D* PQ is 1000 times better than the crap patmedia is sending via cable. Complete garbage, TNT is unwatchable and fox and abc are slightly better than D* SD. But it is nice having the pvr and not shelling out the 800-1000k for an HD tivo. And until d* adds fox and abc i'll stay with the lousy cable package. One note, my d* is going via dvi and cable via component so there should be a slight PQ difference.
post #199 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 AM

Yes socratesdante, I have the same thing on my bill. I'm wondering if this means they will eventually start charging for NBC HD and FOX HD.
Very disappointing that Fox HD is not up yet.
post #200 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peakster
Yes socratesdante, I have the same thing on my bill. I'm wondering if this means they will eventually start charging for NBC HD and FOX HD.
Very disappointing that Fox HD is not up yet.
Both CBS and FOX HD show up on my bill at $0.00. It does not mean they will charge for it, just that is a service you receive (or, in the case of FOX HD, don't but maybe someday...lol..)

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #201 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by socratesdante
Anyone else have an entry line on their bill for fox hd? I have it on my bill. There is no charge right now, but it showed availablility 11/24 to 12/24 for me. I contacted D* and they told me to reset my receiver since it wasn't showing up in my guide. Obviously they were dead wrong on the reset.
I was charged for this on my bill as well. I had the line item previously, but it always showed as $0.00. This time I have a charge of $2.25 for Fox HD on 12/5/04 (all my other charges are 12/6/04). I checked the Fox feeds on Sat (before I saw this charge), but have not looked since. Someone please tell me they are getting Fox HD on D* now. I'd love to get (reliable) Fox HD reception in time for the next season of 24!!
post #202 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

You should have $0.00 for all of them unless you are paying for DNS feeds. Jeff, you are O&O territory in NoVa, and shouldn't be paying for it unless you have something special going on. I'd call D* and tell them you are in O&O land.

I have NBC and Fox, and am still being charged 0.00 for each. $2.25 is the DNS charge for E and W feeds, and I'm sure someone at D* messed your charges up.

As far as I know, Fox is not up. If it were, it would be a sticky at the top of the forum. :D

Note that the 'date' of the Network flag means nothing. The first time it appears on your account was when they ran the calculation of who was entitled to CBS/NBC/Fox, etc., and else it would be when you submitted a waiver for it. I got Fox just before 10/20 when it was originally supposed to go live. The 'current' date for a statement is just the range of the billing period.

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #203 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
Both CBS and FOX HD show up on my bill at $0.00. It does not mean they will charge for it, just that is a service you receive (or, in the case of FOX HD, don't but maybe someday...lol..)
I'm pretty sure all line items on the statement have to have a 'price' and these are there because many folks don't ever go to the website and see what's there. This is a good summary of what you have on your account, and they want to include everything.

post #204 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
You should have $0.00 for all of them unless you are paying for DNS feeds. Jeff, you are O&O territory in NoVa, and shouldn't be paying for it unless you have something special going on. I'd call D* and tell them you are in O&O land.

I have NBC and Fox, and am still being charged 0.00 for each. $2.25 is the DNS charge for E and W feeds, and I'm sure someone at D* messed your charges up.
Thanks for your help. After your post (and a long call to D*), I think I finally understand this. I had been getting the DNS feeds (E and W coasts) for $2.25, when all I really wanted was the E coast feed for $0.00. They fixed that for FOX. Unfortunately, I recently moved to Arlington, and found out I am no longer eligble for NBC, so my only choice there is to keep paying the $2.25 until someone notices and they pull my NBC feed completely. All three major networks have turned down my request. Most likely the Baltimore stations (my "secondary market") are denying my waivers. They told me FOX is not live yet, but that I was charged b/c FOX said I could have the DNS feeds (even though they are not avail yet).
post #205 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any possibility that FOX-HD is being held up until the new SHEVRA is enacted? So that D* doesn't give it to anyone only to have to remove it a month later.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #206 of 277 Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
Is there any possibility that FOX-HD is being held up until the new SHEVRA is enacted? So that D* doesn't give it to anyone only to have to remove it a month later.
Nope.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #207 of 277 Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jeff, if you go to the DNS page: http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressEntry.asp
and put in your address, you'll see who is messing you up. :) From Arlington you are definitely 'able to get' all B'more stations. (Heck, I can 'get' B'more ABC from South Riding, which is 25 miles from DC, and must be, what, 60 from B'more. (I can't get a sniff of B'more HD except on very good tropo nights! Analog, who cares...))

So, that's why you are now ineligible, even you are technically in O&O for NBC and Fox. (I'd be surprised if you keep Fox!)

post #208 of 277 Old 12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

OK> (ducking to avoid thrown objects...) here is the latest from
D*(sorry to bump this up!!!)...
Frequently Asked Questions About Your Dish
Q. When will DIRECTV add the HDTV feed of Fox?
A. We do not have a specific date, but it should be soon.
:rolleyes:
post #209 of 277 Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This thread is still alive?????

100% Digital household since 2001
post #210 of 277 Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'm sure it will stay alive until the day Fox-HD goes up or it gets shut down by a moderator, whatever comes first..:D

It is interesting to note that many folks have been told by DirecTV CSRs lately that Fox-HD is coming soon, whereas, in the past that was not the case, OTOH, it could mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..:p
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page