Category 6: Day of Destruction - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PDPnNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Passaic, NJ
Posts: 2,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My expectations were low, I mean we are watching a 'made-for-TV' movie which hasn't be aired anywhere, so based on my expectations I was pleasantly surprised with the story line and cgi effects. I was also surprised with the minimal commercial interruptions. I was expecting way more. Good job CBS for providing some alternative programming in HD.
PDPnNJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,851
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
Cold Case (also delayed) was also in HD.

Were these recorded in HD locally / delayed by the local station ... or did CBS send out a seperate feed?
CBS prefeeds Sunday primetime in HD on Sunday mornings. Most O&O stations and some other affiliates have the gear necessary to catch and playback that feed in situations such as this. But not all.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #33 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
I didnt think this was that bad.... certainly not good but it wasnt horrible, and certainly better than any realityTV (sorry marc cuban but all reality TV sucks, not even HD could make it good)
I think some people expect too much out of these types of movies. It's all about the special effects, nothing more. The plots are secondary.

If you view these types of movies this way, you will be less disappointed.

With that in mind, I somewhat enjoyed the movie. The effects looked really good in HD.
Chuck_IV is offline  
post #34 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Growing up on Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Airport, etc. I'll watch pretty much any disaster movie they come out with. The more destruction and calamity, the less important the plot. :)
CPanther95 is offline  
post #35 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
JayDog_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: W. Sakatomato, CA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I caught about 10 minutes of this... just to see the PQ...

After I read the description of the show.. "three weather systems, combining into one super storm.." Yep, it's another "Day after Tomorrow" Can't people come up with there own original story line for the basis of a movie anymore? :)

Beyond that, terrible plot/story, even in the 10 minutes I saw... :D

But yes, I realize these movies are not for story/plot...
JayDog_2 is offline  
post #36 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dt_dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
CBS prefeeds Sunday primetime in HD on Sunday mornings. Most O&O stations and some other affiliates have the gear necessary to catch and playback that feed in situations such as this. But not all.
Thanks for the info. I can't remember seeing a delayed local HD brodcast before so this was a new one for me. Hopefully the rest of my local affiliates will catch up. Note: WUSA mentioned above is owned by Gannett.
dt_dc is offline  
post #37 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 3,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Growing up on Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Airport, etc. I'll watch pretty much any disaster movie they come out with. The more destruction and calamity, the less important the plot. :)
Yeah, but the "nice" thing about those movies were that they were "pure" disaster films for the most part; now everything has to be the fault of the government ("it's all due to global warming, those idiots in government won't listen to me") and big business (oooh, see the evil power company screw customers, and remember folks, no matter how much it might make sense, nuclear power is dangerous...)
kucharsk is offline  
post #38 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 11:33 AM
 
megamii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: East Windsor, NJ
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder what the same critics will say about pornographic films shown on HDTV. :D Will they complain about the plot?
megamii is offline  
post #39 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by kucharsk
Yeah, but the "nice" thing about those movies were that they were "pure" disaster films for the most part; now everything has to be the fault of the government ("it's all due to global warming, those idiots in government won't listen to me") and big business (oooh, see the evil power company screw customers, and remember folks, no matter how much it might make sense, nuclear power is dangerous...)
Yeah, I noticed that. I told my my wife the head of Lexar Corp. was missing his handlebar mustache so he could twirl it when he said with glee that "it will eliminate 100s of jobs" :rolleyes:

......... and it couldn't simply be a hacker - it had to be the power company's dumbing down of the computer security to save money that enabled the system to be hacked.

But remember, in Towering Inferno, it was the idiot son-in-law that cut corners to save some cash - so even the evil corporation isn't an original plot point. :)
CPanther95 is offline  
post #40 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Dynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Growing up on Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Airport, etc. I'll watch pretty much any disaster movie they come out with. The more destruction and calamity, the less important the plot. :)
I too grew up on these. Poseidon Adventure was one of the first "blockbusters" I saw and this movie sort of reminded me of it.

In fact, I expected to hear a rendition of "There's got to be a morning after" break out towards the end. Probably updated and performed by some of today's more popular artists...Britney, Eminem, or 50 cent, although I prefer U2.:D
Dynot is offline  
post #41 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Dynot
I too grew up on these. Poseidon Adventure was one of the first "blockbusters" I saw and this movie sort of reminded me of it.

In fact, I expected to hear a rendition of "There's got to be a morning after" break out towards the end. Probably updated and performed by some of today's more popular artists...Britney, Eminem, or 50 cent, although I prefer U2.:D
Maureen McGovern is the disater queen. She got the Oscar for "The Morning After" featured on Poseidon Adventure. Then she debuted "We May Never Love Like This Again" on Towering Inferno and it also became a hit. Oddly, nothing of significance came out of her role as the singing nun on Airplane! (the Leslie Nielson spoof) :D
CPanther95 is offline  
post #42 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
J.Mike Ferrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I agree with CPanther95...bring on the mindless CGI :D
and Randy Quaid (now super-sized) brings his manic intensity to a very funny running bit with the Japanese tornado-hunter wannabees.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
J.Mike Ferrara is offline  
post #43 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa (We'll be back)
Posts: 2,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd have to say, some of the special effects looked a little cheesy, but they probably would have looked cheesy in SD, too.

And Brian Dennehy as a rough-and-tumble ... meteorologist?

Yeah, I had to chuckle a bit. But hey, a made-for-TV movie in HD -- that's one more barrier broken. Maybe soon they'll shoot reality shows in HD (and, unlike ABC, actually AIR them that way.)

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
dline is offline  
post #44 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fjerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought the HD looked pretty good especially the HD day shots of the city of Chicago. The special effects were pretty cool except the guy that got sucked out of the Las Vegas hotel window; now that was a little tacky.
fjerina is offline  
post #45 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jaypb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Monroe Twp NJ
Posts: 2,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara
Well, I agree with CPanther95...bring on the mindless CGI :D
and Randy Quaid (now super-sized) brings his manic intensity to a very funny running bit with the Japanese tornado-hunter wannabees.
Randy Quaid will FOREVER be "Cousin Eddie" for me....and the "National Weather Administration" is another great misnomer that you usually see in a movie like this....:confused:

Is it "illegal" to use National Weather Service in a movie like this ??
jaypb is offline  
post #46 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by JayDog_2
I caught about 10 minutes of this... just to see the PQ...

After I read the description of the show.. "three weather systems, combining into one super storm.." Yep, it's another "Day after Tomorrow" Can't people come up with there own original story line for the basis of a movie anymore? :)

Beyond that, terrible plot/story, even in the 10 minutes I saw... :D

But yes, I realize these movies are not for story/plot...
Ah, c'mon, you know everything is regurgitated now-a-days. At least the ending of this movie HAS to be better than the ending for Day After Tomorrow. Man, was I pissed how it ended.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #47 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by jaypb
Randy Quaid will FOREVER be "Cousin Eddie" for me....and the "National Weather Administration" is another great misnomer that you usually see in a movie like this....:confused:

Is it "illegal" to use National Weather Service in a movie like this ??
I think they just don't want any hassles, especially if one of the employees is a total jackass. They did mention the FBI and Homeland Security departments.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #48 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
patrickpiteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Middle Village
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by fjerina
I thought the HD looked pretty good especially the HD day shots of the city of Chicago. The special effects were pretty cool except the guy that got sucked out of the Las Vegas hotel window; now that was a little tacky.
What was really bad if you ask me was the shot of the boats they said were in Chicago and they were flying the Canadian flag. Also the shot of the train trestle and it had the big CN logo (Canadian National) on it. THe outside scenes were shoot in Winnipeg I think. I mean they could have least edited that stuff out to make it somewhat believable.:confused:
patrickpiteo is offline  
post #49 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
R. Aster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
THe outside scenes were shoot in Winnipeg I think. I mean they could have least edited that stuff out to make it somewhat believable.:confused:
Yeah, that would have done it. :rolleyes:

R. Aster
R. Aster is offline  
post #50 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
What was really bad if you ask me was the shot of the boats they said were in Chicago and they were flying the Canadian flag. Also the shot of the train trestle and it had the CN (Canadian National) on it. THe outside scenes were shoot in Winnipeg I think. I mean they could have least edited that stuff out to make it somewhat believable.:confused:
Lots of CN boats travel the Great Lakes, although probably not many make it into the Chicago River.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #51 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
DeanS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sunland, California, USA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I liked how they wove humor into the plot (the visiting Japanese tornado tourists and the farmhouse couple retrieving bills from Las Vegas in the wind). Otherwise, I'm watching purely for the HD special effects - which I presume really kick in on Wednesday.....
DeanS is offline  
post #52 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Member
 
tswon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought the fuel truck being caught by the tornado looked like a cartoon. I guess the studio is not willing to pay for decent CGI for a made-for-TV move.
tswon is offline  
post #53 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 04:22 PM
DDD
Senior Member
 
DDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Melissa, TX
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by tswon
I thought the fuel truck being caught by the tornado looked like a cartoon. I guess the studio is not willing to pay for decent CGI for a made-for-TV move.
Yea, that was definitely the worse one I saw too!!!
DDD is offline  
post #54 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 131
My problem with this movie was insufficient stupidity. Remember the quake movie a few months back that featured a quake chasing a train? Now *that's* good disaster schlock!

I'm waiting for someone to make a movie or mini series out of Greg Bear's Forge of God. Now THAT's the ultimate disaster flick! Although the total destruction of the earth may be deemed too depressing to be marketable.
barth2k is offline  
post #55 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
mrmucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mt Prospect, IL
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work in downtown Chicago. I hope my building 1) gets hit by a giant wave from Lake M, 2) is sucked up in a hurricane and 3) lands in Gary.

Ya gotta love this flick it's got ...

- that Facts of Life chick
- Randy Quaid on cheeseburger steroids
- Thomas (this thing killed my movie career) Gibson
- Brian D (portrayed JW Gacy) exclaiming "millions of people will die"
- evil Enronian business execs
- hot blond chick embroiled in affair
- unknown hacker fingers
- no sign of Mayor Daley

Will we survive? Stay tuned ...

Oh yeah...HD in Chicago on Comcast and OTA.

"If you don't know what to do...about a world of trouble...take the golden rule...as the best example...eyes that have seen...will know what I mean..." -TR 1973
mrmucko is offline  
post #56 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chroma601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sylva, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k
My problem with this movie was insufficient stupidity. Remember the quake movie a few months back that featured a quake chasing a train? Now *that's* good disaster schlock!

I'm waiting for someone to make a movie or mini series out of Greg Bear's Forge of God. Now THAT's the ultimate disaster flick! Although the total destruction of the earth may be deemed too depressing to be marketable.
What an awesome book. When I finished, I read the ending again. Riveting. No script could do it justice. It's one of those books that can only be read to appreciate, like "Dune".

Anyway, I'm liking this more than 10.5, mainly because it's in great HD, and it's moving along pretty well. I remember in "Asteroid" there was a half hour spent on the "heroes" walking through rubble and yelling names: "Ben! ... "George!!!...Bill???...". This has a gist of a plot, a touch of soap, and significant action. So as a connoisseur of tawdry disaster TV flix, I'm having a good time here.

Note also a semi familiar face from another disaster film - the guy who plays the evil head of Lexar Power was the first to die in "The Core". Right at the beginning, before the title, he was all set to make a small fortune before his pacemaker quit and he hit the glass table with a thud.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Wednesday. All this and Lost!

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
chroma601 is online now  
post #57 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
cpto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: East Hanover, NJ, US
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched part 1 and I'll watch part 2 just to see the Arch fall over. I was at the top on a day with 50 MPH gusts. You can feel the arch sway, but it is supposed to withstand "normal" 150 MPH winds.

Aside from rare exceptions such as Duel, not too many made-for-TV movies are worth more than a single viewing. But I didn't expect the plot to get as clogged up as it has. Big Bad Power Company? Has Viacom forgotten that it's a Bid Bad Media Conglomerate? :D And Eric, the JD with the gun, must come to a bad end--he's not even listed as an actor on IMDB.

Well, I'll waste four hours of my life on this, but I won't be waiting with baited breath to buy the DVD.

C
cpto is offline  
post #58 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
paintit77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was in HD in Denver and looked great. The only problem is my local affiliate is broadcasting from a building in downtown and my recievor sometimes has fits locking in a signal. No 5.1 sound. What a shame. I have to agree, the script was aweful. The cinematography was incredible and the image quality was some of the best I have ever seen. Too bad the movie was just garbage.
T.
paintit77 is offline  
post #59 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
StLouG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by cpto
I watched part 1 and I'll watch part 2 just to see the Arch fall over. I was at the top on a day with 50 MPH gusts. You can feel the arch sway, but it is supposed to withstand "normal" 150 MPH winds.

Aside from rare exceptions such as Duel, not too many made-for-TV movies are worth more than a single viewing.

Well, I'll waste four hours of my life on this, but I won't be waiting with baited breath to buy the DVD.

C
The Arch falling over is the big draw for me since I live in St. Louis. I have never been up in that thing afraid of heights and the tight train ride up the legs.

For the record this movie can't be that bad especially when my wife, says it it is OK and she wants to watch the second half. Can you believe that?

StLouG
StLouG is offline  
post #60 of 89 Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SonomaSearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Vidonic
Too bad the script for this thing didn't get sucked away in a tornado.
LOL. You hit the nail on the head there.

Best part of the movie is definitely Randy Quaid. Everything else-- directing, acting, plot, script-- less than mediocre. Special effects and HD presentation are nice, of course.
SonomaSearcher is offline  
Closed Thread HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off