post #271 of 5037 Old 08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Not sure what is going on -- FOX is running a movie right now ("Sweet Home Alabama") -- it was ID'd as HD, but it is just as soft as the "House" episodes earlier in the week.

... Again this was on par with what I've come to expect from FOX-HD ...

Why in the world would FOX take a 480i/p master and upconvert it, when they have a 720p master available? Seems like that would take more effort (and perhaps $$). OTOH, maybe FOX is experimenting with bitrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5037 Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well like I said, I'm not sure what is happening. To me, this looks markedly worse than the "norm" for FOX HD. It looks like it's an HD master, but it's been run through something that has blurred it. Why that would happen, I don't know -- I'm just reportin' what I see.

If it looks like this for the NFL game tomorrow, THEN I expect you'll see some serious whining here about it.
post #273 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am 100 percent positive they are not running a 480 copy and upconverting it.
post #274 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly7000 View Post

It was definitely different from the original airings. If nothing else, there is a small black gap on the right side that occurs when something is upscaled. If you didn't notice a difference, it was probably due to the particular display you are watching it on, some will overscan the image and don't have the resolution to show how crisp something is. The text is blurry and not crisp so that is another indication. I recorded several episodes so far and can rewatch them so overall it's much different than other HD programming and very blurred.

I didn't see the original airings. I didn't have a HD recorder and 'House' conflicted with another programming. I started watching 'House' during the summer but the PQ is better than watching DVD. Could it be better ? Sure, but I don't think this was a SD upconvert. You need to also take into account that I'm watching the feed from a different station. WNYW (FOX NY) has a good feed most of the time.

BTW, my display is properly calibrated with zero overscan.
post #275 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

I am 100 percent positive they are not running a 480 copy and upconverting it.

I didn't mean to imply they were. I just remarked that there was something wrong about it, and I'll stand by that.
post #276 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't mean to imply they were. I just remarked that there was something wrong about it, and I'll stand by that.

Actualy I was not refering to your posts. You have simply stated that you belive its slightly off. Nothing wrong with that. It's your eyes

What I'm refering to is the folks here that are staiting as fact that it was a 480 copy. Trust me when I say that Fox is not going to make 3 coppies of a program. One 4x3 480i, one 16x9 720p, and one 16x9 480i. Simply NOT gonna happen. There is in fact a 16x9 480i version out there, but its for DVD, not terrestrial broadcast.

It's rumors like these that make people to this day say that Fox broadcast shows in 480p. They never had and never will. They did for a while send out a 480i signal which each station chose to upconvert or not.
post #277 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ohh and btw, I checked my tivo, they were broadcast with a big

"HD presented by Directv"
post #278 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 134
... of course what goes unstated is what method folks are using to get their FOX-HD ... OTA, cable, D* DNS, etc .... This could have an effect

For the record I get FOX Off-The-Air east coast feed
post #279 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OTA Columbus Ohio, no multicasting
post #280 of 5037 Old 08-26-2005, 05:23 PM

If this is just how House is, I definitely say they need to get the PQ a little higher in quality. At least, they need to bring it up to par with other Fox-aired HD dramas, which can be pretty darn sharp in detail.

I watched a couple episodes of House in the past and never had issues with the PQ. In any event, the PQ of these repeats is so off that I had to mention something. Even if you don't notice the softness on the particular display you are watching it on, that doesn't mean the softness does not exist. It could be that House is slightly lower than 1280x720 in effective resolution.

So we'll just have to see at the start of the new season how the PQ is.

Fox OTA West Coast, no multicasting

Displays tested:
Mitsubishi 55" Widescreen built-in tuner
24" WS Desktop LCD with TS, no overscan, upscaled and 1:1 pixel
19" Desktop LCD with TS, no overscan 1:1 pixel
post #281 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I looked pretty carefully at this last night due to this discussion. It was definitely HD. At the beginning it claimed "HD sponsored by DirecTV" and it was full-widescreen without any bars/overscan issues. See my comment about a roof below, also.

I think their problem is focus, artistic decisions and camera personnel. While it wasn't as sharp as CBS football, there were many scenes that were quite sharp. Esp the overhead shots of the hospital or other buildings. I saw one particular roof that was sharp without any wavyness or moire that would be guaranteed in SD, possibly even DVD. But some scenes were clearly being focused as the action went on and some were just plain OOF.

I think with the dark inside shots (or director's preference) they are using wide open lenses too much and running out of depth-of-field and just plain missing focus. Too many shots of 2 people standing 2 feet apart and they (apparently) want one in focus and one out, or to keep shifting focus from one to the other. And they aren't doing it perfectly. Don't see the same thing on CSI, which is darker and usually using greater DOF, so House needs some technical help of some sort. IMO.

My observations come from an HDTivo (OTA) and a MT700 PJ (no overscan) on a 90" screen.
post #282 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, the first season is being released on DVD in September. According to an article in the Mpls StarTribune, it is being released in 16x9 format but not anamorphic due to the rush to have it brought out before season 2 starts. So those of us with widscreen TV's will need to use the Zoom feature to fill the screen, degrading the PQ.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #283 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

so House needs some technical help of some sort. IMO.

I would agree with your observations if not for one thing: When these episodes aired the first time, they were MUCH sharper. I watched both of last night's episodes, side-by-side on two professional monitors -- one with the SD feed, and one with the HD. I was hard pressed to see any detail on the HD side that wasn't also plainly visible in SD. In the original airings, on wide-shots, I could read the labels on things sitting on shelves in the background -- but on these repeats, I cannot.

This doesn't seem to be limited to House though -- outside of the NFL game last Friday, I haven't seen anything on there that looked like HD for more than a week. Maybe I'm crazy -- I dunno -- but something sure seems different to me.
post #284 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I had last night's episode on in the background but I did take a good look at it. This episode definitely looked better the first time it aired. I was watching on DirecTV and failed to check the Comcast feed, but it did not look very good. This show has looked much better than it did last night.

BTW, last night's episode is definitely Emmy material.
post #285 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post

FYI, the first season is being released on DVD in September. According to an article in the Mpls StarTribune, it is being released in 16x9 format but not anamorphic due to the rush to have it brought out before season 2 starts. So those of us with widscreen TV's will need to use the Zoom feature to fill the screen, degrading the PQ.

The DVDs were released yesterday, and while the intro stuff (20th Century logo, FBI warning, menus) are anamorphic, the episodes themselves aren't.

Wonder when the "good" version will be released...

Flicks? Here's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. And I've
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, too.
post #286 of 5037 Old 08-31-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

The DVDs were released yesterday, and while the intro stuff (20th Century logo, FBI warning, menus) are anamorphic, the episodes themselves aren't.

That is absolutely outrageous! What were they thinking??
post #287 of 5037 Old 09-01-2005, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I would agree with your observations if not for one thing: When these episodes aired the first time, they were MUCH sharper. I watched both of last night's episodes, side-by-side on two professional monitors -- one with the SD feed, and one with the HD. I was hard pressed to see any detail on the HD side that wasn't also plainly visible in SD. In the original airings, on wide-shots, I could read the labels on things sitting on shelves in the background -- but on these repeats, I cannot.

This doesn't seem to be limited to House though -- outside of the NFL game last Friday, I haven't seen anything on there that looked like HD for more than a week. Maybe I'm crazy -- I dunno -- but something sure seems different to me.

Maybe it's time for a new set of contacts?

I agree that overall it could be sharper. But there is definite difference from one shot to the next. I doubt the path to us could cause it. I tend to focus on beard/stubble when looking at sharpness in this show. Lots of detail in hair, pockmarks, pores to be seen on faces. The sharp level goes in and out throughout each episode. None of it matched the detail in HD tennis on UHD this week, again looking at stubble on Agassi and others, so definitely not the sharpest I've seen. Man On Fire on DVD is better than some of the shots.

They'd move the focus plane to the next character's face in some shots and sometimes it wouldn't quite make it to sharp/focused, even compared with 2 seconds before.

That DVD fiasco is just stupid. Somebody made a mistake. Hopefully the market will make them fix it and rerelease. Can't wait for 2 weeks from now!!
post #288 of 5037 Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

I agree that overall it could be sharper. But there is definite difference from one shot to the next. I doubt the path to us could cause it. I tend to focus on beard/stubble when looking at sharpness in this show. Lots of detail in hair, pockmarks, pores to be seen on faces.

I don't think it's the path to us either, but I do believe that something has changed in their internal video path, and whatever that is, it is softening the image. Even their upconverted stuff looks softer than it used to -- I use the text on their promos as my best gauge for that. The text is "smudged" now, and not sharp as it used to be (sharp for SD that is). The small text in the lower-third credits at the of programs is VERY blurred -- that used to be relatively crisp.

I checked out The Bernie Mac Show last night, and while it was HD, again, it had that "smudged" quality to it, and fell short of the original presentation. Something is wrong.
post #289 of 5037 Old 09-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

I watched the season premier tonight and the PQ looked superb- MUCH better than I seem to remember from last season.

Rob
post #290 of 5037 Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if it looked better than last season, but it was most definitely better than the repeats have looked in the past few weeks. A very acceptable picture, though I still contend there is some blurring of the horizontal resolution on the FOX feed in general. The show that aired at 8pm, Bones, looked pretty decent as well, though again, with a slight horizontal smudge.
post #291 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Tuesday's premier was vintage House, maybe even more biting than last season, and the female leads are looking even better than they did last year, Cuddy is HOT!!
post #292 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd almost bet they switched to 32mm stock as opposed to 16mm stock like they used last year
post #293 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 AM
sfb

Liked: 11
I agree that the show picked up right where it ended last season. Another great episode and I like the addition of Stacy. Cameron is definitely looking better than last year.
post #294 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting tidbit on Dr. Foreman's (Omar Epps) background as gang member. I wonder if they are going to do some kind of follow-up. It would be nice to know the cast a little better outside the hospital.
post #295 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

J...Hugh Laurie & his amazing performances. hard to believe its the samer actor who played the feckless Prince Regent on BLACKADDER 3 & a host of similar characters on so many BBC comedies. if he doesn't get at least an Emmy nomination then the awards are totally meaningless!.

Edit: Dragging up a post from way back in this thread, but it caught my eye.

Agreed! And I get an even bigger kick now out of Blackadder when I catch it on BBC America. Blackadder 4 is my favorite.

On Emmy, I suspect Ian McShane might grab it for Deadwood. That show has got some powerful mojo.

Glad to see House back and in full cynical form.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #296 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

Fox roared to the winning finish line last night...with the second-season opener of House at a whopping 12.2/18 in the overnights, 15.7 million viewers and a 5.7/15 among adults 18-49 at 9 p.m. House increased on last year's premiere (Nov. 16, 2004) by 8.6 million viewers (7.1 million to 15.7 million), and 111 percent among adults 18-49 (2.7/ 6 to 5.7/15).

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

post #297 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's just me, but was House a little too jolly in his caustic wit? It just seemed like Hugh Laurie was playing it a little different than last season - he was more miserable last year. Still making the same kind of biting remarks, but enjoying it where as last season they just seemed to be "coming out" because he was miserable, not because he enjoyed making others miserable. Again, maybe it's just me. Still a good ep. Maybe House upped his Vikes...

PQ looked about the same to me, never impressed by Fox's primetime HD.

Oh and Cameron is definitely looking better. Cuddy...eh, to each their own.
Sela Ward is still no slouch.
post #298 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It could be that his lost love is now working so close and bringing out his "softer" side. All he has to do is forgive her for the decision she made concerning his leg, marrying another person, "ratting him out"---hmmmm, come to think of it, maybe he is a bit too jolly.

As a total aside, the promo for the DVD set with the snippet of Hugh speaking in his native language threw me. He REALLY can mimic an American accent!
post #299 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Very strong return for Fox's 'House'
Debut averages 5.7 in 18-49s, up 10 percent

MediaLifeMagazine.com--Last year "American Idol" made "House" a hit. Now "House" is a hit all on its own.

Last night's second-season premiere averaged a very strong 5.7 overnight rating among 18-49s, a 10 percent increase over the 5.2 it averaged last season.

It helped the 8 p.m. new drama Bones, which led into House at 9, to a 3.6 18-49 rating in its debut, a very solid number made more promising by 10 percent growth in its second half hour.

Last season House struggled during the fall until Idol debuted in January as House's lead-in. Its November debuted averaged just a 2.7 rating.

From January to May, airing out of "Idol," the show more than doubled its previous average rating.
Though House averaged a 7.7 for its season finale in May, there was some question over whether the show could sustain high ratings without Idol. Apparently it can.

The other good news for Fox is that House helped lift Bones, which didn't get great reviews, to a decent premiere, as it won its timeslot last night.

Fox led for the night with a 4.8 average rating and a 13 share. NBC finished second at 3.0/8, CBS third at 2.7/7, the WB fourth at 2.6/7, ABC fifth at 2.1/6 and UPN sixth at 0.9/2.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/New...wednesday.html

post #300 of 5037 Old 09-14-2005, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

I'd almost bet they switched to 32mm stock as opposed to 16mm stock like they used last year

I don't recall anyone saying that last season's House was shot on 16mm. It always looked like 35mm to me -- much sharper than the confirmed 16mm productions, such as "The O.C." and "Malcolm."
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page