post #271 of 277 Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
This may not be good for me. Our local ABC affiliate is broadcasting HD but I cannot get it. To far away and theres a big hill in the way.

Do you think that will qualify me?

Thanks!
This is tricky Alan, and depends on your local affiliates 'mind-set'.
If in your situation, I would call and ask to speak to the individual in charge of Satellite waivers. I would explain that it is impossible to receive their digital signal at your house due to the hill problem; (you might even state that you would be willing to pay for the fuel costs for one of their engineers to come out and verify the above). IF they are reasonable, they might allow you to receive the ABC-E feed. Frankly I believe it all depends on their attitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 277 Old 01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
thebishman

Good advice. Ill give that a try.
post #273 of 277 Old 01-18-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Yeah, Dan Collins definitely knows his stuff, but that thread (last I looked) hadn't been updated.

We definitely need a current SHVERA FAQ, as you said.

And, for Alan's plight, I am pretty sure that no waivers can be accepted by D* under the new regs. Alan, if you get it done, let us know! :) (Not O&O and *can* get D* SD LIL --> SOL is my one line summary, but who knows what D* can be talked into!)

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #274 of 277 Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just spoke with a well informed HD CSR and she immediately turned on ABC HD for me in the SF Bay area. Seems odd that when I tried initially in Dec., I was turned down due to Sacramento claiming Grade B coverage in my area of the East Bay. For some reason, that wasn't mentioned today and ABC is now on! By the way, I asked about FOX for the Super Bowl and she told me that they are working on a one time waiver for this but aren't sure if this will happen. Hopefully so.

Paul
post #275 of 277 Old 01-21-2005, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by PMA
Just spoke with a well informed HD CSR and she immediately turned on ABC HD for me in the SF Bay area. Seems odd that when I tried initially in Dec., I was turned down due to Sacramento claiming Grade B coverage in my area of the East Bay. For some reason, that wasn't mentioned today and ABC is now on! By the way, I asked about FOX for the Super Bowl and she told me that they are working on a one time waiver for this but aren't sure if this will happen. Hopefully so.

Paul
Anyone who's read most of this thread knows I have been fighting D* over this since day one of ABC-HD on DirecTV.

I had waivers applied for, all kinds of stuff, and was told on no uncertain terms a couple or three weeks ago that I was never going to get ABC-HD W from D*.

Just for the hell of it I just called the eligibility number to see if the waiver from the Bakersfield station had come in, rep said no but then asked where I lived. After I told him he said, "wait a minute and I'll turn it on for you"--AND HE DID!!!

Apparently they finally got the message that Fresno is an O&O market and Bakersfield's affilliate does not matter.

Steve S.
post #276 of 277 Old 01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve S
Apparently they finally got the message that Fresno is an O&O market and Bakersfield's affilliate does not matter.
Or you lucked onto the "right" CSR. Congrats. :)
post #277 of 277 Old 01-22-2005, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Sort of off topic.
I'm glad I have waivers so I can get both the east and west coast feeds of ABC from DirecTV. Why? Because ABC east sees a need to continuously report about the snow storm instead of presenting the golf match. Yeah, I know it's important for people to know about the storm, but does it have to be 24/7? I'm sure there are some people in the NE that would like to watch golf instead of snow fall.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page