post #91 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjohn View Post

As I stated before about two years ago I seem to remebember Bernie Eccelstone possibley working on some type of deal to make F1 a PPV. It was in these same discussions that HD was brought up if I remember correctly.

EJ

Bernie says an awful lot of things that go absolutely nowhere. And it's usually to extract more money out of those he already has agreements with. So when the HD PPV thing came up, it was probably a ploy by Bernie to get more revenue from the TV agreements he already had in place.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That digital PPV from Bernie never took off because he was charging too much for the feed, something like 50 euros back in 2002, but I've seen one race from Hockenheim and this guy's TV feed had 6 screens to choose from with his STB's remote, set-up much like each team's wall pit monitors but all in one box.

Anyway, two days left and that new qualifying format should be better than the last 8 years!
post #93 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarl0 View Post

Anyway, two days left and that new qualifying format should be better than the last 8 years!

For TV viewers, I think a lot of whether the new quali is good or not will depend on how it's covered. But I imagine it'll be changed several times before I arrive at the USGP this summer to see it live.

post #94 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a promotional clip of Digital PPV from Bernievision. I actually like what I see, but its a shame that it was priced out of practicality.

Funny thing about those Europeans. They would rather have a GP with 40% attendence and $600 ticket prices, rather than lower the prices and fill the place up. Malaysia is even worse. That track appears to be only 20% full.

Still when the power of IPTV and Fios are fully recognized, things like this multi-screen will really become common. Especially for things like NFL ST or other sports packages. Dish does something like this now with the Olympic/Election showcases.

This was especially true when Dish ran their "mult-angle" college footballs games from TBS last fall. They ran six different feeds (ie angles) of the same football game on individual channels. They they used their "showcase" software to all a view to see a mosaic of all six angles, and then select any individual angle to be fullscreen. Worked pretty well actually. I would love to see such a service offered for racing.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #95 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 AM

Back in 2001-2002, Sky in the UK had the F1 Digital Plus PPV package for all F1 races. It was commercial free, 16x9 SD, multiple channels showing multiple views of the practice, qualifying, and the race plus real time telemetry data. This was a great package, but a bit ahead of its time. Plus it was something like $12 a race and no season package option. I think it was a great product for die hard F1 fans and I hope that someday, this will be an option in the States, even if it was on the Internet.
post #96 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf1techie View Post

Back in 2001-2002, Sky in the UK had the F1 Digital Plus PPV package for all F1 races. It was commercial free, 16x9 SD, multiple channels showing multiple views of the practice, qualifying, and the race plus real time telemetry data. This was a great package, but a bit ahead of its time. Plus it was something like $12 a race and no season package option. I think it was a great product for die hard F1 fans and I hope that someday, this will be an option in the States, even if it was on the Internet.

I would pay $12 a race for something really well done.

post #97 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM

When F1 starts getting broadcast in Europe in Hi-def then maybe there's a chance it'll get her, but from what I can tell hd is only starting to take off in Europe and this years world cup is the big jumpstart.

Roll on Kimi this year, I have my tickets for the race in Barcelona so that'll be awesome.
post #98 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Judging by how (relative to regular SD) good the upconverted skiing etc looked at the Olympics, it would be pretty good to see the 576i widescreen feed upconverted, instead of downconverted to 480i
post #99 of 875 Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthalton View Post

When F1 starts getting broadcast in Europe in Hi-def then maybe there's a chance it'll get her, but from what I can tell hd is only starting to take off in Europe and this years world cup is the big jumpstart.

In the US, Speed has the rights to F1 and since they are not a channel that broadcasts in HD anyway...

In Canada, it's another story. TSN is has the rights to the F-1 races and they broadcast whatever they can in HD. As soon as these races are filmed by someone in HD, i'm quite certain TSN will carry them that way. I wonder how much F-1 would suffer from motion blurr in 1080i? F1 would be freakin awesome in 1080P/60 BluRay with 6 channel lossless audio to make you go death just as if you where there Better get those earplugs ready

Heh heh, I think I may have found my future new favourite way to piss off my neighbours
post #100 of 875 Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM

SPEED is the biggest issue. No switch there, no discussion here and I think CBS would never catch up with a HD signal for four races.

Bernie will wait with F1 in HD till HD becomes really popular in Europe. That will be next year I guess. In Europe it`s possible to see races in HD for tests maybe one of the last races, but which channel should show it in the US then?

SPEED is the biggest issue.

DougMan
post #101 of 875 Old 03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf1techie View Post

I would pay $12 a race for that, but I am a bit sick in the head about F1.

EJ

RX-Z9 to KHORNS/SVS & FULL HERITAGE 8.3 HT Setup

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
post #102 of 875 Old 03-08-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthalton View Post

Agreed. Last time I researched this, maybe 8 mo ago, the delay in getting stuff like F1 in HD was all about the larger problem of EU being far behind the US in HD. It's nothing to do with F1 itself. No US broadcaster covers those races, they are covered by locals and the feed is picked up here. So, when the locals get HD, we might. But, as I said, last impression I had was that the EU is far behind us, which given how weak and spotty our HD remains, means it'll be a while before F1 arrives in HD. Think about it - if key markets like Germany and Britain have darn close to zero penetration of HDTVs in the home at this point, it won't be coming tomorrow.
post #103 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_in_L.A. View Post

Agreed. Last time I researched this, maybe 8 mo ago, the delay in getting stuff like F1 in HD was all about the larger problem of EU being far behind the US in HD. It's nothing to do with F1 itself. No US broadcaster covers those races, they are covered by locals and the feed is picked up here. So, when the locals get HD, we might. But, as I said, last impression I had was that the EU is far behind us, which given how weak and spotty our HD remains, means it'll be a while before F1 arrives in HD. Think about it - if key markets like Germany and Britain have darn close to zero penetration of HDTVs in the home at this point, it won't be coming tomorrow.

not really. If you follow the european news you can see that mostly every Pay TV Provider in Europe catch up with HD and many european countries have FTA HD Channels. At least they all DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 standard. I think Europe is faster than the US with building HD Channels, also sub-channels in HD. That could be cause the US was one of the countries with a Leadership position in HD, but you can`t say they are behind when they just started one year ago.

The LC Displays in Europe going to be cheaper and cheaper. Price drops almost to US Prices.

DougMan
post #104 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Even if SPEED started broadcasting in HD tomorrow in time for the 1st practice session, Comcast probably wouldn't add the HD channel to the lineup until 2012 or so.
post #105 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 AM

CBS is getting 4 races, including Monte Carlo
http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/schedules/OPEN_F
Doubtful it'll be HD, but there's hope for some F1 HD next year.
post #106 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

CBS is getting 4 races, including Monte Carlo
http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/schedules/OPEN_F
Doubtful it'll be HD, but there's hope for some F1 HD next year.

Again with this cr@p. Incredible. The FIA as a whole has NO idea about TV coverage in the USA.

More of CBS teaching remedial auto racing 101- like their lame coverage will attract casual surfers looking for something to watch. Let's see here....Imola, Spain, Monaco, and Silverstone. Outside of Imola and Silverstone, most F1 fans are hard-pressed to even care about these races. Monaco? Yawn. Chess at 80MPH. Say what you want about the History, the splendor, the 98% undressed love-goddesses stretched across the prow of a boat worth more than the public school you attended...It's a crime to put those cars in that silly circuit. Spain? Enough already. Do we have to watch a race that all the teams test on? Even qualifying is boring.

WRC? SpeedTV killed it and the FIA was OK with it. I honestly believe that WRC, out of all forms of racing, is the one that can sell itself. 11PM on Sundays and the ratings are poor? What a shock that is.

On a different note- HiDef WRC isn't going to be a trivial thing to do. The way they get the shows turned so quickly, including the in-car, is to have 'runners' on dirtbikes drive around the stages, pick up the videotapes, and bring them back to the TV camp. The HD cameras need to be cheap, light, and record on media that's rugged enough to tolerate getting the snot beaten out of it. Not quite sure we're there yet.
post #107 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Actually, Monaco is one of my favorite races of the year.
post #108 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Spain? Enough already. Do we have to watch a race that all the teams test on? Even qualifying is boring.>>>

Agreed! Only way to make this and the Hungaian GP exciting is by turning on the water sprinklers during the race!

Here's wishing good luck to fellow American Scott Speed on his first F1 season, he will be racing for Scuderia Toro Rosso, he will need it.
post #109 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh heh, I think I may have found my future new favourite way to piss off my neighbours >>>
And prove that the Team USA in baseball is a paper tiger (;
post #110 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post

For TV viewers, I think a lot of whether the new quali is good or not will depend on how it's covered. But I imagine it'll be changed several times before I arrive at the USGP this summer to see it live.

I don't think you will see any changes. Usually, once the sporting rules/regulations are set for the season, that's it.
post #111 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post

Again with this cr@p. Incredible. The FIA as a whole has NO idea about TV coverage in the USA.

More of CBS teaching remedial auto racing 101- like their lame coverage will attract casual surfers looking for something to watch. Let's see here....Imola, Spain, Monaco, and Silverstone. Outside of Imola and Silverstone, most F1 fans are hard-pressed to even care about these races.

Not sure what you meant by most of this post cause I am an F1 fan and I love Monaco and Spain, losts of tight turns but that is what I like about it, the drivers really have to pick their spots.

Anyhow I do agree about CBS carrying the races, they make it a horrible expirience. I hate their coverage, especaially when they cut the race short for a fing golf tourney and cut to commercials right in the middle of a battle on the track. You don't sound like much a fan anyhow, I love qualifiying and this year should be interesting with the new rules.

EJ

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
post #112 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I had forgotten about CBS' coverage - it was lacking, wasn't it? The speed guys are great, and the one (English dude) is hillarious. He inserts lots of "Wahhhhhs!" at a pass or crash.

Monaco is pretty tight, though - not many passes, except in the tunnel under a yellow.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #113 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

I don't think you will see any changes. Usually, once the sporting rules/regulations are set for the season, that's it.

Really? You haven't been following F1 the last few years, have you? Because quali just about always changes during the season, usually several times. It did last year mid-season, and in previous seasons so often sometimes it seemed every race had a new format. I'll bet we'll see a change to this years quali format before the F1 circus lands in Europe. Bring on the silly season!

post #114 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall F View Post

Hmm, I had forgotten about CBS' coverage - it was lacking, wasn't it? The speed guys are great, and the one (English dude) is hillarious. He inserts lots of "Wahhhhhs!" at a pass or crash.

Monaco is pretty tight, though - not many passes, except in the tunnel under a yellow.

Yeh I forget his name but he is always like "ohh and he get's err sideways". He gets all excited , like me .

EJ

post #115 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it's THIS guy. Reminds me of a Monty Python father during their hayday.

Where do you guys like to sit at the races? I really enjoy the seats overlooking pit lane... You get to see the practice lap, all of the mechanics running around, launch, pits, and the finish. I guess some of the turns would be great, I've just never sat there.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #116 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeh I forget his name but he is always like "ohh and he get's err sideways". He gets all excited , like me .

EJ

If you're talking about the red-headed Irish/Scot (?) guy, that's Derek Daily, and I absolutely cringe every time he opens his mouth. For someone who is supposed to be well versed in motorsports, he has got to be the most complete idiot that has ever uttered a word when it comes to F1. He gets facts, races, people mixed up all the time. Unfortunately we have to deal with him for Champ Car races to, although I hope he disppears now that Speed will be carrying the races. Somebody shoot him and put us out of our misery, please.

The rest of the CBS F1 commentators aren't much better. They talk to the audience like no one has ever seen an auto race before. Give me Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett anytime.

I hate the CBW F1 broadcasts. They're about as bad as the ABC failure of an F1 broadcast several years ago.

post #117 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

No it's not Derek Daily. I can't say for sure who's on CBS but the guy I talking about used to be on speed about five years ago then he was gone and now I think he is back. As far is who cmmentates on CBS I cant truly say cause they are horrible. THe guys that commentate on speed totally rock. Hobbs and Varsha I know that cause I hear it every other Sunday.

EJ

post #118 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No it's not Derek Daily. I can't say for sure who's on CBS but the guy I talking about used to be on speed about five years ago then he was gone and now I think he is back. As far is who cmmentates on CBS I cant truly say cause they are horrible. THe guys that commentate on speed totally rock. Hobbs and Varsha I know that cause I hear it every other Sunday.

EJ

I like crusty ol' Hobbs and his "slag." I enjoyed watching his Legends of Motorsport series, including the one of him in 1962 driving for Triumph at the 24 Hrs LeMans.

post #119 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? You haven't been following F1 the last few years, have you? Because quali just about always changes during the season, usually several times. It did last year mid-season, and in previous seasons so often sometimes it seemed every race had a new format. I'll bet we'll see a change to this years quali format before the F1 circus lands in Europe. Bring on the silly season!

Look, I know I'm getting senile, just turned 70 and been following F1 since the late fifties. Also, I've been watching F1 with only one eye and listening with only one ear since Ronnie Peterson's death. But. I can't ever remember the change of regulations in the middle of ANY season. As you know, it's all governed by the Concord Agreement and it has to be published two and three years in advance. For instance:

"A package of measures were approved for the 2008 Championship. These include the introduction of a Centreline Downwash Generating wing, larger wheels with slick tyres and a single tyre supplier. The package will be brought forward to 2007 if an 80% majority of the Formula One Technical Working Group agree to do so before the end of December 2005."

I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't remember any changes to qualifing in the middle of the season. I have never seen any capritious reg changes in the middle of a F1 season in recent history.

Best,
Hugh
post #120 of 875 Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be Jaguar.

Nahh, I think he remembers Ralf Schumaker and his many shunts, some of them quite spectacular!
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page