2011 F1 Races in HD? Yes. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the Formula One races are captured with High Definition Equipment and rather or not Speed Channel (who shows the races in the U.S.A) will have any sort of HD option in the near future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by davidan
...(are) Formula One races are captured with High Definition Equipment....(will) Speed Channel....have any sort of HD option in the near future?

No & no. Sorry.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not as long as Bernie is as greedy as he is. He had some sort of TV network he tried to use - I think it failed.

Speed only has a contract to pick up the local feeds and use it. The announcers are back in the US and only see what we do.
There is a chance that if one of the major networks pick up a race Monte Carlo or US GP - they will cover it in HD.

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #4 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
No & no. Sorry.

Thats a shame. I would love to see some Formula 1 and rally racing in High Definition.

-Brian
post #5 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Speed doesn't produce the video. They just get the feed that's given to them.

A few years ago ABC picked up some Formula 1, but did such a bad job with it I'd rather get it SD than what they had.

As far as my wife and I are concerned, Forumla 1 in HD is the killer app, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

At least we get the USGP in high definition. Stand "A" Penthouse seats for us.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #6 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Isn't Speed owned by FOX? Maybe they'll show some other racing (Non F1) in High Def? I know NASCAR races in Fox in 2005 are planned to be broadcast in 720p starting with the Daytona 500!!!
post #7 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

it was posted on another thread that German cable co. Premiere is planning on HD f1 coverage in 2006 so it appears it will happen in the not too far future. the big ? is who will get the US rights? are you listening Mark Cuban?

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #8 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

HD F1 is a dream - a very, very good dream. It will happen eventually, of course.

Heck, I can't wait until the new season starts. I've been in F1 withdrawal since Brazil.

Mike
post #9 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
Speed doesn't produce the video. They just get the feed that's given to them.

A few years ago ABC picked up some Formula 1, but did such a bad job with it I'd rather get it SD than what they had.

Yeah, I remember it all too well.... [Bob Jenkins] "And now he is being passed by.........{long pause}....................another car....

Quote:
As far as my wife and I are concerned, Forumla 1 in HD is the killer app, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

At least we get the USGP in high definition. Stand "A" Penthouse seats for us.

Paddock Penthouse A Row A. My avatar is from the hairpin in Montreal. Cheers!

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
post #10 of 875 Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDntheCity
it was posted on another thread that German cable co. Premiere is planning on HD f1 coverage in 2006 so it appears it will happen in the not too far future. the big ? is who will get the US rights? are you listening Mark Cuban?

jim

Speed got the US rights a few years back for 10 years. Won't be seeing anything other than World Feed SD unless Bernie ressurects a less expensive version of digital feed

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
post #11 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thepicman

We were in the Paddock Penthouse C last year, but wanted to get closer to turn 13 and pit row, so now we're Stand A Penthouse Row D

Anyone know if "F1 2004" for PS2 is getting a US release. We have an XBox, but I may get PS2 if that game is available.

Dean

post #12 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A4Short
Not as long as Bernie is as greedy as he is. He had some sort of TV network he tried to use - I think it failed.

Speed only has a contract to pick up the local feeds and use it. The announcers are back in the US and only see what we do.
There is a chance that if one of the major networks pick up a race Monte Carlo or US GP - they will cover it in HD.

The Bernie-network was exclusively for PPV. Once they did that, the world-feed went to crap (I think this was in '94) to coerce the PPV crowd...and it still hasn't gotten back to the pre-94 level. I don't think you'll see HD F1 until Bernie decrees it. If he's stupid enough to make it PPV, that will also fail. Do local broadcasters still do the F1 races? I thought that was all in the past...
post #13 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thepicman

See you from Grandstand 12...
post #14 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 AM

HD F1 would be pretty darn cool. There is not quite enough interest in F1 here in the states to warrant it.

Will be nice enough having the entire Nascar schedule in HD. (For those of you that are Nascar fans). Maybe F1 and IRL down the road.
post #15 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by colossus
See you from Grandstand 12...

Do any of you hang at the Hoosier BMWCCA car corral for the USGP? We'll be there for the third time this year (Black 2002 530i Sport).

post #16 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I know that FOX announced that they will do all of their NASCAR races this year in 720 HD. Will that include the races on FX?

Also what about NBC, will their stuff by HD or not for NASCAR?
post #17 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I know that FOX announced that they will do all of their NASCAR races this year in 720 HD. Will that include the races on FX?

I doubt that will include FX. Probably FOX only.

As for NBC, I heard that they stepped up to the plate as well and announced they would do all of theirs in HD (Although I can't point to any concrete info. Just heresay). Once agin this is proabbly only for races on NBC. Not sure about those they televise on TNT.
post #18 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 12:55 PM

If ANY racing series should be broadcast in HD, its got to be F1 as they claim technological superiority in all things racing. I can't image Bernie didn't have the foresight to exclude HD rights from his current contractual relationships since HD would be yet another opportunity for him to make $. Does anyone know if Speed TV's rights are US exclusive broadcast rights or US exclusive SD rights?
post #19 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NASCAR in HD still doesn't change the fact it's just cars going around in circles. So now we get nicer looking circles.

Imagine the havoc it would wreck if they snuck just one little chicane in there.

Sorry, couldn't resist....

post #20 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Imagine the havoc it would wreck if they snuck just one little chicane in there.

Well, Nascar has been tossing in one (?maybe two?) "Street Races" for the past couple years. And yes ... there's usually quite a bit of havoc.

There's a 06/26/05 Nascar race at Infineon:
http://www.nascar.com/races/tracks/spr/index.html
post #21 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:

NASCAR in HD still doesn't change the fact it's just cars going around in circles. So now we get nicer looking circles.

Sorry, couldn't resist....

I new it wouldn't take long before someone made a Nascar joke. As a fan of both series and I can admit they both have their advantages. Nascar's being that the races are far more competitive and entertaining. F1's advantage is that the series is technologically incredible.
post #22 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by coomarlin
I doubt that will include FX. Probably FOX only.

A general 20th Century Fox HD (FX-HD?) channel would be pretty cool ...

Like UniversalHD and DiscoveryHD ... lots of properties to pick content from (for a generic FOX-HD channel), including:
20th Century Fox Library
Fox Movie Channel
Fox News Channel
Fox College Sports
Fox Sports Net
FX
National Geographic
SPEED
Fuel
Fox

They could even fill the air with reruns and old content for a few years (imagine that).
post #23 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked my contacts at speed about HD a year ago and there was absolutely no talk about moving over. I could ask again and see if there are any grumblings. I do a show on the network though and I would think they would mention it to me if they were.
post #24 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well NASCAR is doing something right they have become the 2nd most viewed sport behind NFL, and are widely regarded as the fastest growing support. Once you attend a race in person and see what really goes on, you will be hooked, and no it's not just about going round and round in circles ...
post #25 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It also has to be kept in mind that Europe has almost no HD infrastructure. I think they have one DBS channel for HD. Aside from Australia, Canada, and Japan, there is pretty much Zero HDTV out there. Until that changes, I doubt we'll see anything improve for the European Series. (F1 & WRC)

I have read about a special "digtial" PPV package that F1 had a few season ago. I think it was also 540i/p 16x9 (what ever that PAL Widescreen standard is). So it was a near HD experience. They also had multiple camera angles to choose from. Sorta like Champ Car's Race Director.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #26 of 875 Old 01-03-2005, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well NASCAR is doing something right they have become the 2nd most viewed sport behind NFL, and are widely regarded as the fastest growing support. Once you attend a race in person and see what really goes on, you will be hooked, and no it's not just about going round and round in circles ...

I understand NASCAR is extremely popular. Nevertheless, it holds absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever, and hasn't in the 30+ years I've been into motorsports. Since I was 8 years old building model cars in my basement, I always liked European style GP racing and never was attracted to home grown motorsports like NASCAR, Drag Racing, etc. I doubt I'll attend a NASCAR race as long as there's an abundance of the kind of motorsports I like.

New for me this year will be watching WRC. I've seen bit and pieces on SPEED now and then, but since I've been playing Rallisport Chanllenge 2 and Colin McRae on XBox, I've become more interested.

Dean

post #27 of 875 Old 01-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uh, 2nd most viewed sport in the USA. The biggest NASCAR race- I'm assuming this is Daytona- doesn't touch the world's audience for, say, the GP of Monaco.

After I went to the race at the Pocono circuit, I left thinking the exact opposite of what you've said. That race proved to me that NASCAR is not about racing anymore. It's about spectacle, entertainment instead of racing, mayhem, and sponsors. Just my opinion
post #28 of 875 Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CycloneGT
It also has to be kept in mind that Europe has almost no HD infrastructure. I think they have one DBS channel for HD. Aside from Australia, Canada, and Japan, there is pretty much Zero HDTV out there. Until that changes, I doubt we'll see anything improve for the European Series. (F1 & WRC)

If the broadcasts are local in origination, I would think Suzuka would be HD-able, Indy, Montréal, etc...are they local or does Bernie run that too?
post #29 of 875 Old 01-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the Formula One races are captured with High Definition Equipment and rather or not Speed Channel (who shows the races in the U.S.A) will have any sort of HD option in the near future?

YES!!!!!!! IT WILL
Quote:

Originally posted by KevinH
No & NO Sorry!

NOT TRUE!!
Last year one of the British Website said they would show Formula 1 Racing and Rally racing in HD. So far on the new HD channels 29HD Network, this channel is available in the USA but we have to bug our Satellite carriers to get it. Speed get a lot of their footage from this Network although not in HD format. We all need to request 29HDnetwork!!

See for yourself here! Look under "Automotive Life" http://www.29hdnetwork.com/

1080p and PS3 is a Match made in HD Heaven!
post #30 of 875 Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I couldn't find references on that site, got a more direct link?

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page