post #331 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by optivity
If you give us your "top 10" list... I'll give you mine...

You promise?

In no specific order since I consider all these top notch sci-fi/fantasy shows:

Cleopatra 2525
Dark Angel
Land of the Lost
Seven Days
Sliders
Star Trek
Star Trek Deepspace Nine
Time Tunnel
The Original Batman series
The Original Superman series
X Files
Smallville
Lost in Space
My Favorite Martian
Bewitched
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Charmed
The Original Outer Limits
Thriller (Boris Karloff)
Space Above and Beyond
Pretender
Land of the Giants
Space 1999
Xena
Night Gallery
Odyssey 5
Star Trek Enterprise
It's About Time
Jerimiah
Total Recall 2070
Dark Shadows
Twilight Zone (The Original series)
Roswell
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis

I'm sure I left some out but you get the idea as to how high the current Battlestar Galactica rates on my all time list. Please keep in mind that to me even poor Sci Fi and fantasy is worth watching or reading. I can't get enough so anything the network deems fit to air I intend on giving it a shot.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVChallenged
Has anyone else toyed with the idea that Baltar is actually a Cylon? It seems rather implausible that a human Baltar would have survived the nuclear shock wave that destroyed his house/apartment in the miniseries.

Yeah, this has come up and the concensus was that he couldn't be a Cylon and that he wasn't close enough to the epicenter of the explosion to have been killed by it (or something to that effect).

Jimbo --

Hmmm. A bunch of the stuff on your list I wouldn't have classified as scifi, being utter fantasy; some of it straddles the line, so I'd probably put it there. Most of the stuff in your top 10 wouldn't be on my list at all, though 2 of them would have made my top 10 (Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: DS9). A couple of other things in your top 20 would have made my top 10.

Thinking back on some of the old stuff in there, which debuted when I was a kid, like Lost in Space, gives me warm and fuzzies. I flash back on being a 7-y/o kid, waiting anxiously for the first episode to air in front of my family's little B&W television, begging my mother not to change the channel.

This explains your reaction to my reaction to BSG--we have wildly divergent tastes. Your top four choices wouldn't make my list at all.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #333 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Moran
You promise?

Cleopatra 2525 (don't recall)
Dark Angel (I love Jessica Alba, but never really watched DA)
Land of the Lost (don't recall)
Seven Days (don't recall)
Sliders (enjoyed it... remember the episode with "Wades Head?")
Star Trek (the original and still the best... a true classic)
Star Trek Deepspace Nine (not, 2nd generation was quite good)
Time Tunnel (don't recall)
The Original Batman series (cheezy)
The Original Superman series (way... way... back there)
X Files (loved it espically Dana Sculley) (trust no-one)
Smallville (never got into it)
Lost in Space (c'mon give me a break... Danger Will Robinson)
My Favorite Martian (liked it)
Bewitched (please)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (loved the buffmiester) (as Zander said... "did he get a happy?")
Charmed (not, although Alissa Milano is "quite hot")
The Original Outer Limits (definetly)
Thriller (Boris Karloff) (scared the "sh&^" out of me as a kid)
Space Above and Beyond (sounds familiar)
Pretender (?)
Land of the Giants (?)
Space 1999 (?)
Xena (LL?)
Night Gallery (yes - enjoyed it)
Odyssey 5 (?)
Star Trek Enterprise (pretty good, enough ST already)
It's About Time (?)
Jerimiah (?)
Total Recall 2070 (?)
Dark Shadows (Barnabas... which one the soap or prime-time version?)
Twilight Zone (The Original series)
Roswell (no)
Stargate SG1 (like it)
Stargate Atlantis (really like it / the wraith)

I'm sure I left some out but you get the idea as to how high the current Battlestar Galactica rates on my all time list. Please keep in mind that to me even poor Sci Fi and fantasy is worth watching or reading. I can't get enough so anything the network deems fit to air I intend on giving it a shot.

Quote:

Originally posted by michaeltscott
Hmmm. A bunch of the stuff on your list I wouldn't have classified as scifi, being utter fantasy; some of it straddles the line

You gotta add Babalyon 5 and of course Mr. Scott's favorite, Farscape, to the list. BSG & Lost are "way better" than anything else on your list with these exceptions... Star Trek, X Files, Buffy, the original Outer Limits and the original Twilight Zone.
post #334 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by optivity
You gotta add Babalyon 5 and of course Mr. Scott's favorite, Farscape, to the list. BSG & Lost are "way better" than anything else on your list with these exceptions... Star Trek, X Files, Buffy, the original Outer Limits and the original Twilight Zone.

How could I have left off Babylon 5? You are correct about this show, it was a terrible oversight on my part. As for Farscape, you couldn't pay me to watch it. Like Mike said, plenty of room for personal preference when it comes to TV viewing habits. Again I am not stating that BSG is anywhere near as bad as Farscape just that it is nowhere near as appealing to me (even if it becomes available in HD soon) as the shows on my list. Heck I even left of at least a dozen better shows just to keep my list as brief as possible yet still convey my likes and dislikes.

To Mike:

As noted in the post where my list appears these wer in no particular order, just the order in which they popped into my head (as the omission of Babylon 5) should indicate.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #335 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cleopatra 2525 (*** 1/2)
Dark Angel (****)
Land of the Lost (**) (Cheezy but fun)
Seven Days (****) (where's the smegging DVD Release for this?)
Sliders (****/***) (seasons 1-4/season 5)
Star Trek (***)
Star Trek DS9 (****)
Time Tunnel (****)
The Original Batman series (****)
The Original Superman series (****)
X Files (****)
Smallville (****)
Lost in Space (****)
My Favorite Martian (***)
Bewitched (***)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (****)
Charmed (****)
The Original Outer Limits (****)
Thriller (Boris Karloff) (****)
Space Above and Beyond (****) (Ditto the DVD question)
Pretender (***)
Land of the Giants (***)
Space 1999 (***)
Xena (***)
Night Gallery (****)
Odyssey 5 (****)
Star Trek Enterprise (****)
It's About Time (***) (I'm glad SOMEONE else remembers this)
Jeremiah (****)
Total Recall 2070 (***)
Dark Shadows (***)
Twilight Zone (The Original series) (****)
Roswell (***)
Stargate SG1 (****)
Stargate Atlantis (****)

must add -

Babylon 5 (****)
Crusade (****) (never had a chance, TNT wanted it killed before 1st ep aired)
Twilight Zone 80's (****) (many, many eps equal the original series, "Paladin of the Lost Hour" for one)
Automan (***) (also Cheezy, a TRON clone, but fun (and I liked Cursor)
Special Unit-2 (good fun, good cast)
Farscape (****)
Dead Zone (***)
The Chronicle (****) (killed in the night by SciFi Management)
The Invisible Man (****) (SciFi Channel version)
Seaquest DSV (some clinkers, some gems, but overall, ***)
Jake 2.0 (***) (the 6 million dollar man for the 00's, unfairly deactivated)
Witchblade (***)
Kolchak (****)

and I must add some British shows here...

Doctor Who
Blake's 7
Survivors
Red Dwarf
UFO
Thunderbirds

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #336 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:

How could I have left off Babylon 5? You are correct about this show, it was a terrible oversight on my part.

Naturally, as evidenced by this line of dialogue from Londo Mollari to Vir Cotto after he kills the Emperor of Centauri Prime...

"Vir, you moon-faced assassin!!!"

I found the whole Shadow Wars story arc to be quite entertaining.
post #337 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Originally posted by Anubys
it is very unlikely that Baltar is a cylon for a simple reason: The cylons needed to use Six to sleep with Baltar in order to gain access to the defense computers...had Baltar been a cylon, they would not have needed Six to seduce him...

How do we know that original Baltar on Caprica is the same as Baltar on the Galactica? The whole implanted chip vs. hallucination concept doesn't work (for me.) Remember, "Some Cylons are programmed to think they *are* human."

Furthermore, I suspect that part of the "Cylon plan" is to ultimately create a hybrid Cylon/Human race which is why the Cylons were putting Caprica-Boomer and Helo together. Writers rarely develop a plot line without an ultimate payoff
post #338 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Naturally, as evidenced by this line of dialogue from Londo Mollari to Vir Cotto after he kills the Emperor of Centauri Prime...

"Vir, you moon-faced assassin!!!"

Actually, the line is from when Vir has annoyed Londo by paging him, and he says "what do you want, you moon-faced assasin of joy?" (Born to the Purple, Season 1, Episode 3), and NOT after the actual assassination (The Long Night, Season 4, Episode 5).
post #339 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Furthermore, I suspect that part of the "Cylon plan" is to ultimately create a hybrid Cylon/Human race which is why the Cylons were putting Caprica-Boomer and Helo together. Writers rarely develop a plot line without an ultimate payoff

Ron Moore was brought in on "Roswell" a few years ago of course which dealt with alien-human hybrids. I also seem to remember Boomer being sick one morning not long after Helo got to "know" her a bit better.

nick
post #340 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Originally posted by zmeister
I also seem to remember Boomer being sick one morning not long after Helo got to "know" her a bit better.

Exactly - ye of the keen eye
post #341 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wiggo
Actually, the line is from when Vir has annoyed Londo by paging him, and he says "what do you want, you moon-faced assasin of joy?" (Born to the Purple, Season 1, Episode 3), and NOT after the actual assassination (The Long Night, Season 4, Episode 5).

"Although it was clearly unintentional (see jms speaks) one of Vir's earliest appearances has what could be considered foreshadowing of his killing of Cartagia. In "Born to the Purple," Londo asks Vir, "What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?" Vir has turned out to be an assassin, and by killing Cartagia, Vir has undone some of the damage that began when Londo first answered Morden's question, "What do you want?" in "Signs and Portents."

I stand corrected... My humble apologies... while I was "generally" on-track... I admit I'm getting old and haven't seen an episode of Babylon 5 in perhaps 10 years. The lesson learned is to check my facts a wee-bit more before spouting off and "quoting" dialogue.
post #342 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I suspect that part of the "Cylon plan" is to ultimately create a hybrid Cylon/Human race which is why the Cylons were putting Caprica-Boomer and Helo together.

Good Challenged, I don't think this has been forwarded before either here on in the other thread. Shades of the X-Files alien conspiracy arc! -- something that occurred to me when reading the earlier 'can Cylons procreate' debate. Because of some internal flaw/limitation/obsolescence (ala Blade Runner's replicants), the Cylons seek to 'commingle' with humans as a survival/growth strategy. Can explain all the sex. Why develop progressive models* just to wipe out the human race? Surely a frontal assault would be more effective.

Speaking of obsolescence, all this can quickly be proven wrong with the season finale - which indeed I have not seen.

*Did you catch Number Six referring to the "weak[ness]" in Boomer's "model" in the next to last episode?

Edit: So far only the female Cylons have libidos. Perhaps they haven't gotten the male plumbing down right. Otherwise, the commingling strategy would include some proactive/procreating males.
post #343 of 10191 Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by randall

*Did you catch Number Six referring to the "weak[ness]" in Boomer's "model" in the next to last episode?

Six is just jealous of Boomer's ability to so perfectly pass herself off as human. The Cylons have a serious Pinnochio complex. The administrative guy model--whatshisface --noted that Six was jealous of Boomer in a previous episode, and Six seemed to relish beating the tar out of her to make her escape from the Cylons seem believable. Almost none of the models could go undetected if they interacted with people for very long--at the least, they'd get locked up as mentally ill.

By human standards, Six is clearly psychotic, and she couldn't hide it for any serious length of time, or from anyone who became intimate with her. The prophetic guy model is pretty whacked out as well. Of the models we've seen, only Boomer and the short, administrative guy (I forget his name) seem capable of passing for human indefinitely, as, obviously, a Boomer model has done in the crew of Galactica for years and years.

post #344 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Six is just jealous of Boomer's ability to so perfectly pass herself off as human. The Cylons have a serious Pinnochio complex. The administrative guy model--whatshisface --noted that Six was jealous of Boomer in a previous episode, and Six seemed to relish beating the tar out of her to make her escape from the Cylons seem believable. Almost none of the models could go undetected if they interacted with people for very long--at the least, they'd get locked up as mentally ill.

By human standards, Six is clearly psychotic, and she couldn't hide it for any serious length of time, or from anyone who became intimate with her. The prophetic guy model is pretty whacked out as well. Of the models we've seen, only Boomer and the short, administrative guy (I forget his name) seem capable of passing for human indefinitely, as, obviously, a Boomer model has done in the crew of Galactica for years and years.

I think that part of Boomer's "weakness" might have been some sort of programming to give her human characteristics of "empathy, sympathy and love." She disregarded her Cylon side to report the existence of water on the planet she was surveying. The Caprica model of course chose to flee with Helo. I wasn't sure if this was some sort of test to figure out what happenned with the Galactica model but it's looking like it's some sort of hybrid experiment.

As far as Six is concerned, she does have some emotional need for love from Baltar but you're right about her being psychotic. She can turn on him on a dime(like some women I know) plus she had no problems with breaking the baby's neck in the pilot. This could be construed as saving the baby from future pain but that's a bit of a stretch.

nick
post #345 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zmeister

As far as Six is concerned, she does have some emotional need for love from Baltar but you're right about her being psychotic. She can turn on him on a dime(like some women I know) plus she had no problems with breaking the baby's neck in the pilot. This could be construed as saving the baby from future pain but that's a bit of a stretch.

I don't think there's any doubt about her killing the baby out of 'mercy' to save it from the pain of the holocaust to come. I thought it was pretty well done...apparently that's the only kind of mercy they are willing to show the humans, which doesn't bode well for us. :-)

I'm definitely of the idea that the cylons are trying to merge their race with humans in order to put an end to the cycle of war that humans and cylons have been in. The human scriptures (I forget their name) state that what has happened before will happen again. I have a feeling that a human/cylon war was what caused humans to leave Kobol in the first place. We'll see this summer I guess.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #346 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Iteki
I don't think there's any doubt about her killing the baby out of 'mercy' to save it from the pain of the holocaust to come. I thought it was pretty well done...apparently that's the only kind of mercy they are willing to show the humans, which doesn't bode well for us. :-)

I'm definitely of the idea that the cylons are trying to merge their race with humans in order to put an end to the cycle of war that humans and cylons have been in. The human scriptures (I forget their name) state that what has happened before will happen again. I have a feeling that a human/cylon war was what caused humans to leave Kobol in the first place. We'll see this summer I guess.

Maybe but it consider this. In their current state, Cyclons are basically immortal in that their "consciousness" gets transferred to another. Humans believe in the immortality of the soul and when they die, they can go be with God. Their feeling of immortality comes through procreation, children.

Remember that the stowaway Cylon told Kara that he was afraid that he would not go to God when he died. Maybe this experiment was an attempt to become more humanlike, live, have children, die and go be with God. Something they believe that humans can achieve and they cannot.

nick
post #347 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, but is it just because of the Sharon model, or more the fact that her Cylon side wasn't even known to her before then. Remember in the mini series, what Six said about the sleeper agents...perfectly emulate humans or something to that effect.

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #348 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The sleepers certainly would have to be as capable as the Cylons might know how to make them to emulate human behavior. Sharon has shown a few flaws--her insensitivity to one of the chief's kids sacrificing himself to that witch-hunt tribunal to hide their transgressions and her affection for the Cylon fighter. Of course, they could hardly anticipate her coming into contact with a Cylon fighter aboard the Galactica.

post #349 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Both Boomers seem to have esteem issues and a need for external affirmation. [Ship]Boomer was probably too distracted by that to even register what was going on with the sailor. I was pleased by that episode, although I have not truly run through the ramifications of CDR Adama's decisions, they felt right. Tough call to balance Chief's [non-prosecutable] demonstrated lack of integrity against operational needs and lack of replacements.

v/r
C-F
post #350 of 10191 Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, [ship]Boomer was clearly remind of what happened to the crewman by the Chief who was aghast that she wanted to keep going with their forbidden affair (which she'd been ordered by the Commander or the XO to put a stop to); she seemed completely oblvious to the incident and was dismayed that he wanted to stop.

post #351 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 AM

how is any of Boomer's behavior not "human"?

she's happy she got off while someone else took the blame? a human would never do that!

she wants to continue an illicit relationship despite the work problems? I've never seen that happen in a workplace!

all sarcasm aside...Boomer is behaving like any normal human...she has the capacity to lie, cheat, love, kill...

none of that is proof that she is a cylon...au contraire!

Anubys
post #352 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubys
how is any of Boomer's behavior not "human"?

she's happy she got off while someone else took the blame? a human would never do that!

she wants to continue an illicit relationship despite the work problems? I've never seen that happen in a workplace!

all sarcasm aside...Boomer is behaving like any normal human...she has the capacity to lie, cheat, love, kill...

none of that is proof that she is a cylon...au contraire!

Touche...add the fact that she's a nymphmaniac and she's just like my ex-girlfriend :-)

post #353 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
wait until the final epidose this week... boomer suprised me!
post #354 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iteki
I'm definitely of the idea that the cylons are trying to merge their race with humans in order to put an end to the cycle of war that humans and cylons have been in.

Boomer got sick and vomited in the last episode. Blamed it on the beans she ate. The only time writers allow a young woman to vomit on tv is when she's pregnant. Also of note is the fact that Helo shot, but did not kill her, and they are still together.
post #355 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
any details for season 2 yet?
post #356 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bmel
Boomer got sick and vomited in the last episode. Blamed it on the beans she ate. The only time writers allow a young woman to vomit on tv is when she's pregnant. Also of note is the fact that Helo shot, but did not kill her, and they are still together.

Exactly...we'll see this summer I guess.

post #357 of 10191 Old 03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry--I think that [ship]Boomer's reaction to the situation is, if not inhuman, then callous to a degree that her previous actions would not have indicated her to be capable of. She surprised the chief, and I think that it was inconsistent and strange, particularly in that she seemed incapable of understanding what he thought was wrong with what happened. It's as if they left a certain element of compassion out of her "programming".

post #358 of 10191 Old 03-31-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Sorry--I think that [ship]Boomer's reaction to the situation is, if not inhuman, then callous to a degree that her previous actions would not have indicated her to be capable of. She surprised the chief, and I think that it was inconsistent and strange, particularly in that she seemed incapable of understanding what he thought was wrong with what happened. It's as if they left a certain element of compassion out of her "programming".

you don't have to be sorry

listen, my point is that humans are capable of this and much much more...humans torture people and laugh about it...in an ongoing war (I won't mention which because this is not a political comment), soldiers have cut open pregnant women to settle bets on the gender of the child...just for fun! people are capable of doing ANYTHING...there are human atrocities well documented all over the place (Holocaust anyone?!)...

to say that what Boomer has done is something humans are not capable of is pretty strange, IMHO...

Anubys
post #359 of 10191 Old 03-31-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Source: NBC Universal
31 March 2005

In an unprecedented move, SciFi.com has been offering fans of its new hit series Battlestar Galactica "podcasts." This DVD-style audio commentary from 'Battlestar' executive producer and writer Ronald D. Moore utilizes the much buzzed-about podcasting technology, and is now available for weekly download at SciF.com.

The exclusive five-week event has been providing cool scoops straight from the hit series creator Moore - and has given viewers an insider-only look into the final five episodes leading up the season's dramatic conclusion on April 1. 'Battlestar Galactica,' currently the highest-rated series on Sci Fi Channel, has attracted unprecedented critical acclaim since its debut in January. Moore has already become a popular presence on the SciFi.com site for his weekly "blog" musings.

In other SciFi.com/'Battlestar' news, streaming of the series' first episode, "33," complete with deleted scenes, has been accessed 95,000 times in only five days--making it the most successful streaming event in SciFi.com history.

For the uninitiated, "podcasting" is an evolution of technology popularly associated with Apple's portable digital audio player, the iPod, and traditional broadcasting. It offers downloadable audio content (i.e. "radio" programs), which listeners can play on ANY MP3 player at their leisure. The event is part of Sci Fi's commitment to exploring imagination in its programming as well as in viewer-based offerings. Building on this tradition, Sci Fi is the very first known television network to create an original podcast based on a dramatic series.

The season finale of 'Battlestar Galactica' airs April 1, 2005 @ 10pm. Season 2 of the series will premiere on SCI FI in July.

Listen to Moore's podcast on your computer; no portable MP3 player is necessary, by clicking onto:
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/down...ep109_FULL.mp3

Battlestar Gallactica Podcasts

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #360 of 10191 Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by George Thompson
In an unprecedented move, SciFi.com has been offering fans of its new hit series Battlestar Galactica "podcasts." This DVD-style audio... is now available for weekly download at SciF.com.

Instead of "podcasts" I'd rather see SciFi HDTV BSG broadcasts!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page