Battlestar Galactica on SciFi HD - Season 4 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 10191 Old 01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by archiguy
What a shame he signed on for the wrong show. Wouldn't Ben Browder be just terrific as Apollo? The guy they ended up with is perhaps the weakest link in the show's cast, IMO. And SG-1 is nearing its end; BG may go on for several more years if more people discover how totally cool it is.

Actually Ben would have made the PERFECT Starbuck :-)

Oh well, he has bills to pay, can't blame him for getting work where it was there to be had.

From what I can tell, SG-1 ratings are still holding strong, it's just that McGuyver and the female lead are limiting their involvement (hard to blame them....going on 9 years).

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 10191 Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Londo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Iteki
From what I can tell, SG-1 ratings are still holding strong, it's just that McGuyver and the female lead are limiting their involvement (hard to blame them....going on 9 years).

Very strong, and the involvement of Ben has them already thinking about season >10<.

And just for the record, RDA's been trying to scale back for sometime now... as for Amada Tapping's 'limiting' her involvement, her being PREGANT has a little to do with it (5 months IIRC), so for at least the 1st half of season 10, they have a new 'female lead'....

Claudia Black (!!)

now all we need is a few episodes with Gigi Edgley, Anthony Simcoe, Wayne Pygram and Lani Tupu as Goa'uld and it's old home week!

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
Londo is offline  
post #93 of 10191 Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
OK--because I thought episodes 1 and 2 were OK, I recorded the 4 hour miniseries on Sci-Fi on Sunday. I'd previously given up on watching the 3 hour version that aired in HD on NBC, quitting before the final hour.

Well, I suffered through the first 2.5 hours of this, which are deathly slow--it lulled me to sleep 3 times. I'm glad that I did, because the final hour and a half was excellent! I'm particularly glad that I watched the surprise twist scene in the end with the human-form Cylons--I'm very, very rarely surprised by plot twists and I love it when it happens, and this one caught me completely off guard.

I like the Cylons even more than ever. I really think that they should win and eradicate humanity (though, of course, I know that that won't happen ). In a sense, they are the evolution of mankind. I particularly like their religion. The Cylons in the original series didn't seem to have much of a raison d'être.

Number 6 is a brilliantly conceived and quite well realized character. Who'd have that that an award-winning ex-Victoria Secret supermodel could make such a good actor?

The only character whose portrayal I really hate is Colonel Tigh. He really seems plastic and contrived.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #94 of 10191 Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
What a shame he signed on for the wrong show. Wouldn't Ben Browder be just terrific as Apollo? The guy they ended up with is perhaps the weakest link in the show's cast, IMO. And SG-1 is nearing its end; BG may go on for several more years if more people discover how totally cool it is.

I strongly disagree. I like the guy who's playing Apollo; the original Apollo was kind and soft-spoken, a balance for Starbuck's brash, out-of-control nature.

I don't care for Ben Browder, who was my least favorite thing about Farscape, which was never one of my favorite shows. To me, he seemed to deliver most of his lines in an unnecessarily loud voice. Now, apparently, he's come to ruin SG-1, one of my all-time favorite series. Oh well.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #95 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So does anyone know when this is going to be showing on Universal HD? I really liked "33" and "Water" and would love to see this in HD rather than on Sci-Fi.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
David F is offline  
post #96 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
I strongly disagree. I like the guy who's playing Apollo; the original Apollo was kind and soft-spoken, a balance for Starbuck's brash, out-of-control nature.

I don't care for Ben Browder, who was my least favorite thing about Farscape, which was never one of my favorite shows. To me, he seemed to deliver most of his lines in an unnecessarily loud voice. Now, apparently, he's come to ruin SG-1, one of my all-time favorite series. Oh well.

Curious how one can prefer SG-1 over Farscape...but to each their own. :-)

I'm hoping Browder will bring his brand of humor to the show (McGuyver was always funny too)...time will tell I suppose.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #97 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 AM
 
optivity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Iteki
Curious how one can prefer SG-1 over Farscape...but to each their own. :-)

I'm hoping Browder will bring his brand of humor to the show (McGuyver was always funny too)...time will tell I suppose.

And let's not forget Babylon 5 especially during the 'Shadow wars...'
optivity is offline  
post #98 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sweet Mary Mother of Mercy...should we start a thread for those who are watching the UK SKY eps? I'm dying to discuss this stuff, but it's all SPOILERS for those who are watching in the US.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #99 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Member
 
nessus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMO the greatest Science Fiction movie ever was: Tim Burton's Mar's Attacks! Complete with some of the best ever/all-purpose Martian dialog: Ehh!!!
nessus is offline  
post #100 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally posted by Iteki
Curious how one can prefer SG-1 over Farscape...but to each their own. :-)

Given SG-1's greater longevity and a spin-off, seems like many people must . Farscape was extremely fanciful and bizarre. I like SG-1's being based on Earth and its alien races' tie-ins to ancient Egyptian and Norse mythology. It's just less...hokey. And the writing is an order of magnitude better, IMHO. Like you said--to each his own.
Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
And let's not forget Babylon 5 especially during the 'Shadow wars...'

B5 was never one of my favorites, mostly because of the bad CGI--I've played computer games with more realistic graphics. It was also a bit on the too melodramatic side. But I had a much greater tolerance for it than Farscape and I've probably seen most of the episodes of the series, by and by.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #101 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
Given SG-1's greater longevity and a spin-off, seems like many people must . Farscape was extremely fanciful and bizarre. I like SG-1's being based on Earth and its alien races' tie-ins to ancient Egyptian and Norse mythology. It's just less...hokey. And the writing is an order of magnitude better, IMHO. Like you said--to each his own.B5 was never one of my favorites, mostly because of the bad CGI--I've played computer games with more realistic graphics. It was also a bit on the too melodramatic side. But I had a much greater tolerance for it than Farscape and I've probably seen most of the episodes of the series, by and by.

Just because a show has more viewers, doesn't make it superior. Lowest common denominator (i.e. DUMBED down) gives us shows like Friends and Will and Grace. It doesn't mean they are good shows, just that more people can relate to them.

SG-1 using Egyptian/Norse mythology is just plain LAZY...plots are built in, just grab a myth and run with it. Not too much imagination required.

Farscape imagined entire cultures completely separate from our own, with diverse races, etc. It had more imagination and better writing on it's worst episodes than most of SG-1's on their best.

But since this is a Battlestar Galactica forum, I suppose it's time to move on and stay on topic. :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #102 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jagouar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SG1 was and is better IMO that farscape... And the second half season of atlantis is better than both (watching the euro rips)
jagouar is offline  
post #103 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Member
 
nessus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Farscape gave us Scorpius...

Babylon 5 gave rise to: "Vir you moon-faced assassin!"

And now BSG introduces: Lt. Sharon Valerii (Boomer) aka Grace Park, and she's "hot!" But seriously folks, I thought the series premier was imaginative and I enjoyed the show.

One last thought...

Bring back "Lexx!"
nessus is offline  
post #104 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:


Originally posted by Iteki
Farscape imagined entire cultures completely separate from our own, with diverse races, etc. It had more imagination and better writing on it's worst episodes than most of SG-1's on their best.

The "diverse races" imagined by Farscape were unrealistic and goofy. Neurotic living starships??? Give me break. SciFi from the young people's section of the book store. (IMHO, of course ). The series only lasted as long as it did because it was on Sci-Fi. SG-1 originated and spent its first two or three seasons on a premium cable channel and goes on in syndication on other channels.
Quote:


But since this is a Battlestar Galactica forum, I suppose it's time to move on and stay on topic. :-)

You thought to put this suggestion in your comment, but it didn't stop you from posting one more off-topic comment. Interesting. Now let's stop, shall we? .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #105 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by michaeltscott
The "diverse races" imagined by Farscape were unrealistic and goofy. Neurotic living starships??? Give me break. SciFi from the young people's section of the book store. (IMHO, of course ). The series only lasted as long as it did because it was on Sci-Fi. SG-1 originated and spent its first two or three seasons on a premium cable channel and goes on in syndication on other channels.You thought to put this suggestion in your comment, but it didn't stop you from posting one more off-topic comment. Interesting. Now let's stop, shall we? .

Hmmm...I suggested we stay on topic for a reason....so the forum wouldn't become a flame war. In the interests of peace, love, and understanding, let's move on.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #106 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
We both got caught up in escalating series of ugly criticisms of each other's favorite programs. Shame on us both. Peace.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #107 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Member
 
nessus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by michaeltscott
The "diverse races" imagined by Farscape were unrealistic and goofy. Neurotic living starships??? Give me break. SciFi from the young people's section of the book store. (IMHO, of course...

Sorry to inform you but 'Mora' had reasons to be neurotic...

"Moya is a Leviathan a giant, living ship. She was born free, then captured by slavers who sold her to the Peacekeepers, who forced her into service as a prison transport."

I'd "rather" watch an early episode of Sliders than SG-1. Of course Sliders eventually degenerated to the episode starring "Wade's Head!" After that Keri Wurher aka Maggie Beckett took over for the Wade's head character and talk about "hot!" But I digress...

Farscape aboard the 'living ship' Moya had an excellent and continuing multi-season story arc with characters: Commander John Crichton, Officer Aeryn Sun, Ka D'argo, Chiana, Scorpius and Pilot to name a few... While I enjoy 'special effects' as much as the next person I prefer a good story go along with my space opera too. The movie "Stargate" starring Kurt Russell and James Spader was good and it's not like I don't enjoy SG-1/SG Atlantis. But there is a difference between good and great Science 'series' Fiction and while SG-1 is good, Farscape was great!. Too bad you don't recognize the difference...
nessus is offline  
post #108 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Oh, please. We all just disagree. What you think is "great" seemed silly, poorly written and acted and ill conceived to me, though I did watch some of it when I was dying of boredom, so it wasn't "unwatchable". Ben Browder never seemed to be able to say anything in a tone lower than a shout--he was by far the least tolerable part of it, and the plot revolved around him, which is why I had such a hard time with it. Neither of us is going to change the other's opinion on the matter so there's no sense in arguing about it, and digging a deeper rathole in this thread. Let's just respect our indivdual rights to our own opinions. I'll bet that I dislike some of the foods that you enjoy and vice-versa .

"Can't we all just get along?"

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #109 of 10191 Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 PM
 
HDHTPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Silicon Valley Area Posts: 14,303
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by nessus
One last thought...

Bring back "Lexx!"

Many episodes of Lexx were shot in HD... Unfortunately they never got shown that way.
HDHTPC is offline  
post #110 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Member
 
nessus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by michaeltscott
Oh, please. We all just disagree. Neither of us is going to change the other's opinion on the matter so there's no sense in arguing about it, and digging a deeper rathole in this thread. Let's just respect our indivdual rights to our own opinions. I'll bet that I dislike some of the foods that you enjoy and vice-versa .

"Can't we all just get along?"

'mea culpa...' I guess you're right. One thing we can all agree on is we enjoy watching the Science Fiction channel. Too bad it's not in HD! Now, back to BSG...
nessus is offline  
post #111 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
ANSEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Boynton Beach, FL Palm Beach
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just watched the two hour premiere of BSG. There are parts of the show I really like and then there are parts that I really don't like. One part that annoys me is the whole Dr. Baltar and Number Six thing. The talking to himself gets old fast. I also hoped for more action but that should come in due time. I like many of the cast members and hope my enjoyment will increase the more I watch the series.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
ANSEK is offline  
post #112 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Member
 
nessus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by ANSEK
I just watched the two hour premiere of BSG. There are parts of the show I really like and then there are parts that I really don't like. One part that annoys me is the whole Dr. Baltar and Number Six thing. The talking to himself gets old fast. I also hoped for more action but that should come in due time. I like many of the cast members and hope my enjoyment will increase the more I watch the series.

Right. It got to the point where if I had seen Number Six one more time I thought I might scream!

On the plus side, I thought the Colonial 1 tagging scheme that enabled the Cylons to jump after the 'fleet' to be an imaginative story-line; and I enjoyed the back-story going on at Caprica.
nessus is offline  
post #113 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mntneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 2,740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Originally posted by ANSEK
I just watched the two hour premiere of BSG. There are parts of the show I really like and then there are parts that I really don't like. One part that annoys me is the whole Dr. Baltar and Number Six thing. The talking to himself gets old fast. I also hoped for more action but that should come in due time. I like many of the cast members and hope my enjoyment will increase the more I watch the series.

I thought that way too at first, but give it time, it actually gets better.
Mntneer is offline  
post #114 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:


Originally posted by HDHTPC
Many episodes of Lexx were shot in HD... Unfortunately they never got shown that way.

I tried to watch Lexx a few times, but concluded that it was too much of an incoherent mess to waste my time with. And the lead character who wore that silly pillbox/shriner hat was as unappealing a character to ever appear on the small screen. But, at least that was made up by the female lead who was perhaps the most blisteringly sexy woman ever to grace the small screen. She was totally smokin'....!
archiguy is online now  
post #115 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by michaeltscott
Oh, please. We all just disagree. What you think is "great" seemed silly, poorly written and acted and ill conceived to me, though I did watch some of it when I was dying of boredom, so it wasn't "unwatchable". Ben Browder never seemed to be able to say anything in a tone lower than a shout--he was by far the least tolerable part of it, and the plot revolved around him, which is why I had such a hard time with it. Neither of us is going to change the other's opinion on the matter so there's no sense in arguing about it, and digging a deeper rathole in this thread. Let's just respect our indivdual rights to our own opinions. I'll bet that I dislike some of the foods that you enjoy and vice-versa .

"Can't we all just get along?"

I took a night off from posting and look what happens! Flame wars are back :-)

Stop the Insanity! :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #116 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Quad-Cities (East Moline, Ill.)
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by Iteki
...Farscape imagined entire cultures completely separate from our own, with diverse races, etc. It had more imagination and better writing on it's worst episodes than most of SG-1's on their best...

I totally agree. It is very subjective, but I've been a SciFi fan for most of my (54 years) life, starting with Commander Cody, Flash Gordon, moving through the original Outer Limits, and onward. I've gotta say that Farscape has been one of the best.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
bierboy is offline  
post #117 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I'm 46, and I've been a SciFi fan since I read Heinlein's Have Spacesuit, Will Travel 37 years ago. Farscape was just not my cup of tea. It was just too weird and fantastic, and overly melodramatic. (You know, it reminds me a lot of Flash Gordon--put a little Fu Manchu mustache and goatee on Scorpius et voila! Instant Emperor Ming ).

I'm a big fan of some of the Star Trek series, probably DS 9 most of all, for many the same reasons that so many of you love Farscape. It took a Starfleet crew and stuck them out on their own in the hinterlands, far away from the sedate interior of the Federation, where they had to deal with a diverse set of races and cultures and high post war tension, eventually putting them at the frontline of a much bigger war. I just found the races, characters and story arcs much more credible, palatible and interesting than Farscape's, but again, that's just me.

I will say one thing for it though. It may not have garnered enough of a following to stay on the air, but it was well reviewed, and its fans are truly fanatical. People who love it, really love it. Though I like SG-1 a lot, and dislike Farscape somewhat, I don't feel nearly so strongly about either of them as the people who adore Farscape.

Farscape fans, I salute you!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #118 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by michaeltscott

I will say one thing for it though. It may not have garnered enough of a following to stay on the air, but it was well reviewed, and its fans are truly fanatical. People who love it, really love it. Though I like SG-1 a lot, and dislike Farscape somewhat, I don't feel nearly so strongly about either of them as the people who adore Farscape.

Farscape fans, I salute you!

Isn't that the truth. I introduced my brother to Farscape in the middle of it's third year...then it got cancelled and he was more bitter than I was! Here he had just discovered this great new show (to him) and they took it away. :-(

Reminds me of another show that had fanatical fans but was pulled after being considered too 'brainy and cerebral' and 'out there'....Then the show was put into syndication in as many markets as possible and changed the way the profitability of TV shows was measured.

Who knows, in 10 years we might see Farscape become the billion dollar business that Star Trek has become. Or it might just be a trivia question on the Trivial Pursuit Sci-Fi Edition. :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #119 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Count me in as another who never "got" Farscape, for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned (Muppets? You kidding me?!). But you gotta' admire the fanatical devotion of those who did! Heck, I'll salute 'em too.

But this new incarnation of BG is just ridiculously, absurdly good. I had no idea it was going to be this well done. If the rest of the eps are equal to or better than the first two, this has the potential to be the best sci-fi series ever. Or at least the equal to the late, lamented Firefly, who presently holds that honor, IMO.

And to those who keep hoping for an Enterprise revival, have you seen the ratings for last week's new episode? 105 on the week with a paltry 1.5 million viewers. I think The Mullets managed to draw more flies, er, I mean viewers. As much as I wanted Enterprise to retool and succeed, mostly for nostalgia's sake, it's looking like it's curtains for the ST franchise. Maybe the producers can check out BG an hour later and learn how to do it right. This show is written for, and targeted to, adults. Praise the gods.
archiguy is online now  
post #120 of 10191 Old 01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:


Originally posted by archiguy
Count me in as another who never "got" Farscape, for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned (Muppets? You kidding me?!). But you gotta' admire the fanatical devotion of those who did! Heck, I'll salute 'em too.

But this new incarnation of BG is just ridiculously, absurdly good. I had no idea it was going to be this well done. If the rest of the eps are equal to or better than the first two, this has the potential to be the best sci-fi series ever. Or at least the equal to the late, lamented Firefly, who presently holds that honor, IMO.

And to those who keep hoping for an Enterprise revival, have you seen the ratings for last week's new episode? 105 on the week with a paltry 1.5 million viewers. I think The Mullets managed to draw more flies, er, I mean viewers. As much as I wanted Enterprise to retool and succeed, mostly for nostalgia's sake, it's looking like it's curtains for the ST franchise. Maybe the producers can check out BG an hour later and learn how to do it right. This show is written for, and targeted to, adults. Praise the gods.

The ST string has pretty much been played out. I've felt for some time that they need to let it lie fallow for a while, then do a NEXT NEXT Generation and open it up to new sciences, races etc. My understanding was that they only did this current season in order to make it more marketable for syndication (larger library of episodes).

It's too bad, as Enterprise has actually improved this year. About a year too late, alas.

I agree about BSG...very well done. I'm watching the eps from the UK, season finale is next Sunday/Monday...I'm hanging on the edge of my seat here. Does anyone know how well it is/is not doing in the US so far?

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off