24 - on FOX in HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2322 Old 01-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the first time i ever saw teh show ,so i don't have previous years to judge it against but i think the show is great , a little over the top with the robbery, couldn't he just slash the guys tires, that would have kept him there for a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 12:15 AM

I set my Tivo to record 24 hours tonight, but after watching for one hour, the recording stopped and I realized (too late) that I'd missed the second hour! Does anyone know is Fox is going to have an encore airing (before next week's episode) or if there is another way to get it?

Thanks.
post #93 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
In your post, you say "times are minus commercials". Is every minus commercials? Bitrate averages, etc?
not completely sure what you are trying to say...
what i meant by 'minus commercials' is that the transport stream i used to mark times and bit-rates had all the commercials removed; with 41 minutes of show remaining.

overall, with the commercials included the numbers come out about the same, although i don't have peak or low data for the commercials.
post #94 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by wco81
That Muslim mother is creepy, almost reptilian with that unwavering gaze and the robotic way she gets the job done.
I believe she is the same woman that played the doomed mother/wife in the movie "The House of Sand and Fog." They are the only two roles in which I've seen her and she's been terrific in both.

And is it just me, or since its inception has "24" rolled out some of the baddest ass women on the planet? I almost wish they hadn't started out with four hours as I'm going through withdrawl now.
post #95 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
THe first two hours were terrific.

Then the next two hours were preposterous. As soon as Jack put that mask on, I was in hysterics. The first mountain lion moment of this season.

Yes they can't make it that easy. You have to have obstacles and hitches or else they could wrap up the main plot in a few hours. But they are trotting out a device they've used all too often in previous seasons, which is Jack having to work against the bureaucracy and work in outlaw mode. So just to get satelllite tracking he stages a robbery to delay the guy he was following?

Hehe, I think Jack really wanted to do it just for the fun. But in all seriousness, maybe Jack saw this little gas station as something easy to handle. He couldn't do anything to the guy's car as he would risk being seen doing it. If he was seen, the guy may think he was being targeted and not return to the base.

But yeah, it is a bit over-the-top. But I love the show too much to let it really bother me much. I'll be watching next week just to see how he gets out of this. My life isn't complete untill I see Jack breaking the rules, yelling, and shooting people.
post #96 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 05:21 AM

hmmm.... first T that got caught, the bald one, was interrogated like he was a boy scout. the son of the s-o-d, which is american, is to the point of being tortured. that ain't right.... what are the chances of that happening in real life?
post #97 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It's ironic that last week, there was this national handwringing over whether we are a nation which tortures people, even terrorists. Not just Democrats but some Republicans and a lot of generals questioned the policies which led to Abu Gharib and some reported abuses at Gitmo.

But in TV land, we want good guys who are badass and don't worry about the niceties of the Constitution or the Geneva Convention. People who've seen the previous seasons of 24 know the son was dead meat as soon as he was brought into CTU.
post #98 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 AM

Nive to see Jack back kickin' ass and taking names!! Btw, 2004 was a good year for Keifer Sutherland...his maternal grandfather was voted the "Greatest Canadian", in a poll run by the CBC.
post #99 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I know people love this show but it just has too many stupid plot lines in it for me. For ex., why are they TORTURING the sec'y of defense's kid? You get him on the phone with the prez, who tells him calmly "listen, Beavis, terrorists got your daddy and sister and in a few hours they'll cut their heads off with a dull knife and hold them up and you'll get to watch it on the internet. now tell the nice CIA man what you know". The kid will be crapping his pants, crying for his mommy, and telling his whole life story, incl. the time he tried to feel up his cousin at his uncle's wedding.

when I watch shows with stupid stuff like this, I start rooting for the bad guys. Except of course the bad guys are morons too. Hey, let's leave them alone with just one armed guy so they have a chance to break out. "you kill any more of my man, I may have to hurt your daughter". Good allah almighty, butthead, do it now! I feel like the Seth Green character in Austin Powers. Here, give me the damn gun, I'll shoot him right in the head right here!

Yah I know it's just dumb escapist entertainment. But when a show is this grim and humorless in tone and deals with a topic a little too realistic and close to home, I can't give it a free pass like I do with shows like Lost and Alias. This show is "critically acclaimed"? Standards must be slipping.
post #100 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shades
This is the first time i ever saw teh show ,so i don't have previous years to judge it against but i think the show is great , a little over the top with the robbery, couldn't he just slash the guys tires, that would have kept him there for a bit
The robbery makes sense, if you THINK about.

It reeks of desperation, and yes, Jack is in outlaw mode right now. This is where 24 is at its best, just like in season 1. Seasons 2 and 3 were comparatively dull compared to what's going on so far, IMHO. In this, the odds seem to be truly against Jack.

However, slashing tires is the obvious choice Jack could have made, but there are a couple of reasons he might have chosen to forego that:

1. He might have been caught in the act, as he has no idea when the terrorist is coming out of the store (and he was almost ready to leave, so Jack wouldn't have had time to do it and hide in the first place).

2. It's too big of a coincidence that the tires are shredded of the terrorist's car. It would tip off the terrorist that he was being tailed and delayed from his meeting and it would cause him to be extra careful.

This is an action that would target the terrorist specifically, as opposed to a pseudo-robbery which would seem to be just for the money and hold up not only the terrorist but people in general in the store. it would be "random", and thus, the terrorist wouldn't have the idea he was being tailed.

Which is Jack's goal. To delay the terrorist without tipping him off of anything suspicious.
post #101 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Robbery was filler. They have to pad the 24 hours somehow.

So there are going to be mini-climaxes throughout the season.
post #102 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Please tell me there's two more hours tonight!

One hour next week?

Rats!

Paul
post #103 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k
I know people love this show but it just has too many stupid plot lines in it for me. For ex., why are they TORTURING the sec'y of defense's kid? You get him on the phone with the prez, who tells him calmly "listen, Beavis, terrorists got your daddy and sister and in a few hours they'll cut their heads off with a dull knife and hold them up and you'll get to watch it on the internet. now tell the nice CIA man what you know". The kid will be crapping his pants, crying for his mommy, and telling his whole life story, incl. the time he tried to feel up his cousin at his uncle's wedding.

when I watch shows with stupid stuff like this, I start rooting for the bad guys. Except of course the bad guys are morons too. Hey, let's leave them alone with just one armed guy so they have a chance to break out. "you kill any more of my man, I may have to hurt your daughter". Good allah almighty, butthead, do it now! I feel like the Seth Green character in Austin Powers. Here, give me the damn gun, I'll shoot him right in the head right here!

Yah I know it's just dumb escapist entertainment. But when a show is this grim and humorless in tone and deals with a topic a little too realistic and close to home, I can't give it a free pass like I do with shows like Lost and Alias. This show is "critically acclaimed"? Standards must be slipping.

I disagree, this is the best show on TV right now. At least, on network TV.

The show's main weakness is in its poor subplots. They just can't write good subplots. Plus, with the idea of real-time TV, it kind of limits them as well.

As for the kid, he's just dumb. He knows what the situation is, and no amount of arguing with him will get him to divulge his secret for some reason. Not even a call from the president, I think, since he knows his family's in danger now, and having the president re-iterate that, when the agents have already told him over and over again the same thing, isn't going to change anything. Torturing him is pretty much the only option they have, given the limited amount of time they have (which is about to run out anyway now).

IMHO, what they're doing is merely just using him as filler in between Jack's escapades. Again, it's an example of poor subplots, but that has been a weakness of the show from Season 1. I hope he's hiding something big, which I doubt, though. It's the only way his "secret" would conceivably be worth all this aggravation and risking his family's lives.
post #104 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
I believe she is the same woman that played the doomed mother/wife in the movie "The House of Sand and Fog." They are the only two roles in which I've seen her and she's been terrific in both.
http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0013037/
Shohreh Aghdashloo and Johnathan Ahdout were both in 'Sand and Fog'

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0285331/guests

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #105 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Robbery was filler. They have to pad the 24 hours somehow.

So there are going to be mini-climaxes throughout the season.
I wouldn't call it filler. It's one of the cooler moments of the show, IMHO, because when Jack breaks the law to get the job done, that's when 24 is at its best. Then the odds are truly stacked against him. Seasons 2 and 3 were really missing this, only Season 1 had anything like this before.

Besides, anything pertaining to Jack Bauer isn't filler, it IS the show. Otherwise everything that Jack Bauer did to get to his objective would be considered filler.

I would call the torturing of the kid, the office politics, the CTU boss's handling of her daughter, as real filler material.
post #106 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally posted by ctmooregottapee
not completely sure what you are trying to say...
what i meant by 'minus commercials' is that the transport stream i used to mark times and bit-rates had all the commercials removed; with 41 minutes of show remaining.
That is what I meant. There were only 41 minutes of show airing in two-hours on Sunday (the recording we were originally discussing)??? That's some thick ad content. :D

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #107 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Did anyone else's guide list the two hours last night as two separate episodes? The 2-hour premier on Sunday was listed as a single episode, so I clicked on it with my PVR to record it, and clicked on the first Monday episode thinking that I was getting both hours. Oh well--not too tragic, since I'm not actually watching it. :)

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #108 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
THe first two hours were terrific.

Then the next two hours were preposterous. As soon as Jack put that mask on, I was in hysterics. The first mountain lion moment of this season.

Yes they can't make it that easy. You have to have obstacles and hitches or else they could wrap up the main plot in a few hours. But they are trotting out a device they've used all too often in previous seasons, which is Jack having to work against the bureaucracy and work in outlaw mode. So just to get satelllite tracking he stages a robbery to delay the guy he was following?

That Muslim mother is creepy, almost reptilian with that unwavering gaze and the robotic way she gets the job done.
C'mon, that's like getting angry at redshirts dying in Star Trek! People die left and right on his ship, but Kirk keeps his job? Preposterous! :-)

Jack robbing a 7-11 in the name of national security was genius! Right up his alley! I was laughing my *ss off and cheering him on! you GO boy!

I had an over/under bet with a buddy on what episode Jack would first torture someone. My buddy picked episode 5....are you kidding me? I took episode 1 and was laughing again when good ol' Jack won me some money!

I was watching the first 2 hours with my girlfriend, who had never seen the show before...I warned her that innocent peole have about .0005 % chance of surviving this show...hot asian software chick (Me: she'll be dead soon GF: why would they kill her? Me: This is 24 Me: Software boy's mom is gonna die. GF: Not the mother! She didn't DO anything Me: This is 24) Good times!

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #109 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
Did anyone else's guide list the two hours last night as two separate episodes? The 2-hour premier on Sunday was listed as a single episode, so I clicked on it with my PVR to record it, and clicked on the first Monday episode thinking that I was getting both hours. Oh well--not too tragic, since I'm not actually watching it. :)
I think originally there was only going to be a 2-hour premier, then 1-hour shows the rest of the season. They added the 4th hour later. Not sure why, but I remember it being "news" that they were making it a 2-day event. but, I'm going by memory, so take that for what it's worth. :)

John
post #110 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k

I like the grim tone and love how they don't stick their head in the sand when dealing with current events. They could use some more humor and I think that is the gap Chloe will fill this season. I am also perplexed why they are torturing the kid but I think I missed something. Was there some indication that the kid knows anything? I can't fathom why they feel the need to torture the son of the SOD? I thought the attempted escape by the SOD and his daughter was lame too. He has an automatic weapon and he knows he will be dead in a few hours; why didn't he continue to keep blasting away when the bad guys with guns showed up? That was funny though how the head bad guy thought 3 dead guys is OK but 4? No way.
post #111 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
I like the grim tone and love how they don't stick their head in the sand when dealing with current events. They could use some more humor and I think that is the gap Chloe will fill this season. I am also perplexed why they are torturing the kid but I think I missed something. Was there some indication that the kid knows anything? I can't fathom why they feel the need to torture the son of the SOD? I thought the attempted escape by the SOD and his daughter was lame too. He has an automatic weapon and he knows he will be dead in a few hours; why didn't he continue to keep blasting away when the bad guys with guns showed up? That was funny though how the head bad guy thought 3 dead guys is OK but 4? No way.
His polygram showed that he was lying when he said he didn't tell anyone about his father's unscheduled visit. They need to know who he told, as that person is the likely link to the terrorists.

I too am perplexed as to why it's ok to torture him, but not the terrorist. That's 24! I'm waiting for Jack to come back to CTU, see how slowly it's going, and shoot the kid in the *ss. :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #112 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
nice picture from Cablevision NY w/5.1 sound. But annoying FOX solid logo in bottom right corner ruined perfect nite. Being a newbie, can anyone explain the logo controversy? Last nite was a solid logo on the bottom right corner as mentioned in previous posts.. thanks .. a newbie

post #113 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iteki
His polygram showed that he was lying when he said he didn't tell anyone about his father's unscheduled visit. They need to know who he told, as that person is the likely link to the terrorists.

I too am perplexed as to why it's ok to torture him, but not the terrorist. That's 24! I'm waiting for Jack to come back to CTU, see how slowly it's going, and shoot the kid in the *ss. :-)
Yes, his polygraph was inconclusive. Also, I believe that they said that the SOD's son's house was not on the SOD's original itinerary. Therefore, someone in the SOD's office, his daughter, one of the secret service agents (who are now dead) or his son must have told someone that the SOD was going to stop at his son's house.

I think they would have eventually tortured the terrorist with the same methods they are using on the son. Jack took care of that for them since he realized they were not getting the answers they needed with 8:00 am only a few minutes away.

-Brian
post #114 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
<snip>"...when Jack breaks the law to get the job done, that's when 24 is at its best. Seasons 2 and 3 were really missing this, only Season 1 had anything like this before."

Remember, Jack broke Salazar out of prison and started the riot in Season 3...not to mention killing Nina when she was down, and shooting heroin too. Plus he murdered an FBI material witness in cold blood very early in Season 2 ("I'm going to need a hacksaw"). Not the actions of a law abiding citizen I would think.
post #115 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 03:00 PM

The SOD's son did not know that his dad was stopping by. Remember how surprised he was when the father walked in.
post #116 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What a GREAT show this is. I had never seen 24 until this season. I am also renting season 1-3 from Netflix. It's one of the best shows I've ever seen, very exciting!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I kind of figured Momma Terrorist poisoned the girlfriend because he loved her and wouldn't off her himself.
post #117 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 PM

In a strange way, I think Chole is hot, too. I missed most of last season because, ironically, I was living in Turkey. So again, I will be pleading for recorded copies every week (wife is not interested in the show). I am very interested in how the Turkish aspect of this season shows plays out. Jack robbing the 7-11 was very risky, but genius(slashing the tires would have been too obvious). BTW, if our national security(or economic interests) is truly at stake.....take it to the bank, the govt will take any means necessary i.e. torture, subversion, etc. to resolve the issue.

The Student
post #118 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking why couldn't Jack just loosen something in the terrorist's engine but he didn't have time.
post #119 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamakzie
I was thinking why couldn't Jack just loosen something in the terrorist's engine but he didn't have time.
Plus he risked being seen doing it.
post #120 of 2322 Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

With all the technology they had, why not some GPS tracking device?
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page