post #181 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by nuzzy
She's alright but c'mon...T'Pol is SMOKIN!!!!!
In real life I'd agree, but the Vulcan makeup tones her down a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
by Joxer The Defiant however disappeared, now we know where it went!
It went to an alternate universe, and luckily for the writers of this show, it went back in time about 100 years so it could be found by this crew before they disband.

Quote:
Also the invention of the agony booth, the empire salute, and the female crew member's bare midriff uniforms - all like in the TOS Mirror Universe episode.
I just don't know where to start when talking about these particular uniforms. I could speak of the visual indicators bred into us over the last 10,000 years. We can not help but be drawn to the expanse of perfect flesh, the narrowing of the torso at the waist, and the flare of the womanly hips. Or, I could start by stopping drooling.
The intro has been mentioned , but do we think that this is a post-we're canned, so let's have a blast, decision? I think you could count on the fingers of both hands the times since the 50's shows have changed intros to match a particular script.

Quote:
The original pitch for this episode would have had Archer's crew going forward in time and finding the mirror-Kirk and William Shatner would have reprised that role, but they couldn't come to a agreement so it was rewritten with the Defiant.
Yeah, right, are they going to stuff him into one of Scotty's old tunic's? Denny Lane, Denny Lane! That is his Boston Legal character, yes? HE was pretty funny on Conan the other night. Shatner could do his whole part in his spoken music/JohnnyHorton/white Rap.

Quote:
Archer will try to take over and become emperor, but the captain's woman may alter his plans. Long live the empire!
Even Evil Archer displays professionalism, I would be so all over both T'pol and Hoshi, then the inquiries, reprimands, the garbage scow.

Quote:
Originally posted by fs123
I agree on T'pol being unbelievably hot. It must be hard as hell for those guys to do scenes with her and not be constantly looking down with big smiles on their faces.
R'ack?
And Hoshi's hot in a cute way. All these TV stars are gorgeous, when you get them side by side certain things overpower others. I remember "WKRP", I can't remember the Girl's name, she was tall, beautiful, great hair, had at least 34C's, but you put her next to Loni Anderson and she looked like the mousy chick. And I can't even remember her name, man she was cute!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Quiring

Best Enterprise episode this season even without the eye candy.
Thanks for the Links.
Of course, what would Star Trek be without the candy? TOS, a couple in Aluminum Foil Kimonos, coming from another galaxy, I believe, problems with their own, have issues with Kirk and crew. That's right, the guy had a kimono, the girl had an aluminum two piece, short skirt and tube top. Aluminum boots and Nancy Sinatra hair, too! Well the tube top was narrow and it exposed the undersides of her ample breasts!!!!! I was 15 or 16 then and that got me going!!

RMc---y
Available HDTV in Walnut Creek
post #183 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Best Enterprise episode this season even without the eye candy.
Yes. But I have no problem with eye candy. It's only when the eye candy becomes the best part of the show, that I have a problem. The same could be said of special effects. As long as eye candy and special effects don't get in the way of the story, then I love both. And I think that this episode of Enterprise did a great job in both those aspects.

post #184 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rutgar
I agree. T'Pol is definitely a Major Babe!
I know as a Vulcan she can't really smile but even those maxim shots not one hint of a smile...like a freakin Mt Rushmore face on her....

Surfer chick acid freak pothead...who'd a thunk it....:D

There are 10 types of people who understand binary - those that do... and those that don't.
post #185 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 12:21 PM

I loved how they changed the opening credits. That was a riot.
post #186 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rickmccamy

And Hoshi's hot in a cute way. All these TV stars are gorgeous, when you get them side by side certain things overpower others. I remember "WKRP", I can't remember the Girl's name, she was tall, beautiful, great hair, had at least 34C's, but you put her next to Loni Anderson and she looked like the mousy chick. And I can't even remember her name, man she was cute!
<drool>Jan Smithers as Bailey Quarters </drool>
post #187 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by petergaryr
<drool>Jan Smithers as Bailey Quarters </drool>
THANK YOU! I would have remembered Bailey Quarters before I came up with Jan Smithers. What is she up to, is she married?

RMc---y
post #188 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
THANK YOU! I would have remembered Bailey Quarters before I came up with Jan Smithers. What is she up to, is she married?
(Sorry for the off topic post--but, well, this is Bailey) :D

She used to be: to James Brolin before he dumped her and their child for Barbara Streisand.

http://www.geocities.com/johnnyt84047/jan-smithers.html
post #189 of 291 Old 04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
An ill-fated SOS for 'Trek'

The would-be savior of the 'Enterprise' series, who sought money for his crusade, has roiled the Trekkie universe
By Scott Collins Los Angeles Times Staff Writer April 25, 2005

To some "Star Trek" fans, Tim Brazeal is an intergalactic hero, the burly, tattooed Tennessee systems administrator who has spent the past two months in a quixotic bid to save UPN's "Star Trek: Enterprise."

His website, www.trekunited.com claims to have raised $3.1 million to fund a fifth season of the science fiction series, even if Paramount Network Television, which makes the series, can't or won't. Media outlets, including Associated Press and the New York Times, have followed his quest. His only motive, Brazeal said, was to save a franchise he loved: "I've been a 'Star Trek' fan since the early '70s," he said.

And then, like a malfunctioning phaser, it all went bad. Paramount declined the funding offer. Skeptics accused Brazeal of running a scam — an allegation he vigorously denies — and heaped ridicule on his closest associates, such as "the Lobster Guy," a part-time Maryland seafood vendor who works as TrekUnited's pro bono attorney. These days, on Internet message boards, Brazeal's supporters wage nonstop verbal war with his growing legions of critics. Some are comparing TrekUnited to a cult and saying it doesn't represent the majority of Trek fans.

Now Brazeal sounds like someone who wishes he'd kept his mouth shut. "I've been taking a bashing personally on all of this," he said in a recent phone interview.

How one fan's dream ended up in this mess is a story stranger than many "Trek" episodes. But there are some larger forces at work. Some say the fundraising dust-up shows how the online world can help divide as well as unite those with shared interests.

"The Internet has definitely helped in organizing fandom," said Bonnie Malmat, manager of the fan site www.trekbbs.com who described herself as neutral in the battle over TrekUnited. But the proliferation of online forums and chats has also revealed, and sometimes aggravated, what were once passing squabbles among a few die-hards and fringe dwellers. "It's very clear there are quite a few different factions" among Trek fans, she said.

Equally important, the fate of "Enterprise" also shows how a world-famous entertainment brand can lose its cultural potency over nearly 40 years and five television series, 10 feature films that have grossed more than $1 billion and more than 650 books.

Some fans don't understand that the franchise has worn thin over time, said Brannon Braga, the executive producer of "Enterprise," who has worked on various "Trek" series for 15 years.

" 'Star Trek's' been on the air for 18 straight years, and they're disappointed to see it go," Braga said. But "it's just been around awhile, and all good things need a rest and wear out their welcome for a while."

Rallying the faithful

Brazeal's fundraising campaign started in early February, after UPN announced that it would cancel the program at the end of the season.

Brazeal, who led a similar Internet-based push last year that claimed credit in persuading the network to renew the show through this season, began assembling volunteers, many of whom he had met in online fan forums. The group's idea was to raise enough money to cover Paramount's cost of producing new episodes for a fifth season (TrekUnited estimates the studio spent about $1.6 million for each episode, although one source close to the production says the figure is closer to $2 million).

Fans opened their checkbooks. According to the group's website, more than 8,000 fans sent cash contributions totaling $144,173. TrekUnited also said it received $3 million in pledges from unidentified "investors in [the] space-flight industry."

Brazeal seemed on his way to becoming a grass-roots hero along the lines of Bjo Trimble — a sci-fi enthusiast revered to this day for helping persuade NBC executives to give the original "Star Trek" more time to build an audience back in the late 1960s.

But then opposing fans began to attack TrekUnited, and especially Brazeal, for a number of perceived missteps.

One key complaint was that Brazeal initially failed to tell followers or the media about a March 15 fax from Paramount executive vice president John Wentworth, who wrote Brazeal that "the recent decision to conclude the show's run on UPN is final. We cannot and will not be able to accept funds from viewers to produce 'Star Trek: Enterprise' or any other series."

After Paramount posted the letter on its www.startrek.com website earlier this month, Brazeal tried to explain to his fans that he hadn't mentioned the Paramount letter earlier because he had made "personal promises" that he wouldn't reveal any information about the negotiations. Brazeal didn't elaborate further and Wentworth declined to comment beyond the letter.

Brazeal's rationale unleashed a torrent of abuse on various "Trek"-related online forums, where insult and invective are fairly common. Critics poked fun at some of TrekUnited's colorful leaders, including Andrew Beardall, the attorney and sometime seafood purveyor who is perhaps best-known around Bethesda, Md., as "the Lobster Guy," and Al Vinci, a mysterious Canadian producer and publisher who said he was spearheading talks with an unidentified executive at the studio. In a phone interview last week, Vinci refused to provide details of the discussions, names of other broadcast professionals he's worked with or the titles of his recent credits.

Brazeal insisted that he was not raising the money for his personal enrichment. However, as the attacks continued he admitted in an online posting that he had been arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession in 1979 and served probation for an auto theft charge in 1983. He also confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that he filed for bankruptcy in 1998, but added that he does not believe the filing is relevant to TrekUnited's mission.

Brazeal now says he just wants his life back. "You reach a point where you have to say, 'Reality's reality.' ... Paramount is just unwilling to bring [the show] back," he said.

Gradual impact

The original "Star Trek," created by the late Gene Roddenberry, starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk, commander of the Starship Enterprise, and ran on NBC from 1966 to 1969. The series never earned high ratings during its first run, but later came to be seen as years ahead of its time, featuring one of the first multicultural casts in prime-time TV and paving the way for such sci-fi hits as "Star Wars."

While each of the four "Trek" TV series that followed has its partisans, many fans consider the syndicated "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987-94) or "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993-1999) the best of the bunch. The series that have aired on UPN — "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995-2001) and "Enterprise" — have met with less acclaim.

Many "Trek" fans insist the franchise isn't overexposed but merely suffering a temporary creative lull.

"If something is wrong with a show, giving it a rest won't necessarily fix it," said Malmat, who blames "Trek's" problems on a "lack of originality" in the recent scripts.

UPN will air the "Enterprise" finale May 13.

Meanwhile, TrekUnited said it has already started refunding the donations, and Brazeal has conceded defeat. "Game over," he said. "We lost."

Some supporters are refusing to give up, vowing to take their complaints to the board of Viacom — which owns both Paramount and UPN — at its next meeting May 26.

But for all the conflict TrekUnited has stirred up, most fans are in accord on one point: "Star Trek" is unlikely to disappear for long. The franchise will live on in repeats and books devoted to the brand. And it's only a matter of time before Paramount will decide to resuscitate the series, veteran "Trek" watchers believe.

"It will return," Braga said. "I just don't know in what way."
post #190 of 291 Old 04-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

One can only hope that the "way" is without Berman and Braga.
post #191 of 291 Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Bring on the Tribbles! (and Shatner!)

Paul
post #192 of 291 Old 04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Over at the Tiv0 Forum, Net 114 made an observation that had been hanging in the back of my mind but I hadn't connected with, "Anyone reminded of Pike's "melted" eye on Trip?" That's It! Good work.
This show has roots, and a generational following and I have gotten use to one version or another being around, thank you, Patrick Stewart.
As I believe that Star Trek should never vanish, Friday nights next fall I will be performing all the roles in a series of original 1 act Star Trek plays in my living room. Seating is limited, so make your reservations early. ;)

RMc---y
post #193 of 291 Old 04-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Shakespeare

One can only hope that the "way" is without Berman and Braga.
Agreed...the franchise needs new leadership...those two, especially Berman, seem to have a "holier than thou" attitude...
post #194 of 291 Old 04-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Friday nights next fall I will be performing all the roles in a series of original 1 act Star Trek plays in my living room. Seating is limited, so make your reservations early. ;)
Limited seating is hardly descriptive. Don't mind me if I drop by on some other night then. Wouldn't want to fight the crowds. :D
post #195 of 291 Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to see a movie on the CLONE WARS mabey a 3 x 2 hour mini series all in HDTV with big budget .
post #196 of 291 Old 04-28-2005, 09:50 AM

REWJR---I believe you have just made the #1 unforgivable Sci-Fi faux pax.

May God have mercy on your soul.
post #197 of 291 Old 04-28-2005, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The UPN channel here in Los Angeles (KCOP 13 - 66 digital) started broadcasting in 1080i today!!! Maybe I will be able to watch the last four episodes of Enterprise in HD.

Rick R
post #198 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 01:04 AM

well I am sad to see it go
I really started to enjoy Enterprise will the whole earth is going to be destroyed theme

and I hope UPN suffers like G4 did after destroying TechTV and furthermore the Screensavers

It was the only program on UPN worth watching
Truthfully I do not understand how stations like that can survive, especially when they cancel the best they got

Next Generation (incredible) got me watching the original as a child, Deep Space Nine (liked alot, but it was not the Next Generation) and Vogayer was crap
Enterprised started slow but seemed to be getting so much better
winning Emmies and all

and T'Pol is so hot
especailly in the early episodes
I hope they run the reruns in HD

and Dallas UPN, get your act together
post #199 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
The UPN channel here in Los Angeles (KCOP 13 - 66 digital) started broadcasting in 1080i today!!! Maybe I will be able to watch the last four episodes of Enterprise in HD.

Rick R
This news just made my day. I just wish it had happened sooner. Better late than never.
post #200 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
All these TV stars are gorgeous, when you get them side by side certain things overpower others. I remember "WKRP", I can't remember the Girl's name, she was tall, beautiful, great hair, had at least 34C's, but you put her next to Loni Anderson and she looked like the mousy chick.
Wow, not to me. Putting the two of them side by side always made me think how incredibly plastic and overdone Loni Anderson looked. Anyway, that was a great ep last week. I hope they use the "alternate" intro again tonight. That was classic.

ron
post #201 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
D*mn you KCOP!!!!

Robert Clark
post #202 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

What a fun couple of episodes:

Overacting
Fire at will
Backstabbing
Intrigue

It really looks like Enterprise is going out with a blast.

Paul
post #203 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hoshi's Hot Tonight!

RMc---y
post #204 of 291 Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 PM

I like the new Hoe-shi quite a bit...the c-c-cat fight was fun too....:D

There are 10 types of people who understand binary - those that do... and those that don't.
post #205 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Thank god for Usenet. The Yankees nuked another HD broadcast in the NY area. It blows me away that UPN/Paramount can't figure out how to market this series. If they would just move it to a good night and advertise on the radio and other formats the show would do great.

Last nights episode was A++++ They could have had seasons of occassional alternate universes with that story line.

Here's the lastest bla from Berman who still thinks Nemesis was a good movie:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30935
post #206 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I loved "Nemesis".
post #207 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Quiring
Here's the lastest bla from Berman who still thinks Nemesis was a good movie:
He has completely lost his mind.
post #208 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah hes a moron... even if they got it off UPN and went to CBS I think a good trek show would do very well.

Look at SCIFI friday nights where they average over 2 million viewers for SG1, Atlantis and BSG and this is a cable network.

And I thought nemesis was ok but my real problem with all the trek movies is they all seemed like a 2 hr orig enterprise/tng crew episode instead of a movie. I really think the next movie should feature a crew that was not part of the series at all (unless it was DS9... kinda sad that the best series IMO never got a movie)... theres alot they could do with the aftermath of the dominion war. I think a movie series similar to LOTR (more than 1 movie to tell one story) is what would be needed for a good ST movie (more time to develop stuff and not feel rushed).
post #209 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
"I think a movie series similar to LOTR (more than 1 movie to tell one story) is what would be needed for a good ST movie (more time to develop stuff and not feel rushed)."

You mean like movies 2,3 and 4?

Argee
post #210 of 291 Old 04-30-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, as I previously mentioned, KCOP UPN 13 here in Los Angeles changed their digital broadcast from 480i to 1080i last week. Unfortunately they still didn't pass on the HD broadcast of Enterprise. I hope that they are in the process of converting to HD and we will see HD Enterprise later.

Rick R
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page