Enterprise...thanks for the hd memories. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2005, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well now that Enterprise has officially been canned I'd like to say thanks to those who made the series in hd and broke new ground. It was (as far as I know) the first sci fi hd weekly and the fact that it was a trek franchise made it all the better. The sfx were great and it was eye candy in hd. I'll miss the series and will enjoy watching the last few episodes (finishes the season in may then it's no more). Trek in hd ...a bit of heaven I'll miss. Here's hoping it's not many years before the next series in the franchise. Well done Enterprise cast and crew!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, no HD memories for me.:( No UPN HD affiliate in my area. Maybe, I'll get to see it in HD when it goes into syndication on HDNet ot UHD or whatever.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm unsure it will go to syndication. Isn't there a majic 100 episodes required or 5 seasons? Maybe I'm wrong ...but Enterprise will end with 98 episodes in the can. I think distribution is a huge part of the problem. Airing something as popular as a trek series on a hard to get network like upn seems like it was doomed from the start...no matter how good it was. It would be a perfect property for the launch of hd dvd.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 PM

At least it was widescreen from the get go. Rescans of the film stock would make for a great HD property. Plus as I recall they may have had a few 2hr episodes they could break out to get to 100.
I'm sure DVD sales and syndication played a major role in getting a 5th season at a reduced cost thanks to Digital HD cameras.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe "Enterprise" was HD from day one.

There is nothing magic about the number 100, except for the symbolic power that it holds for us beings with 10 fingers. Having 98 episodes is practically as good as having 100 for syndication purposes.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Clancy
I'm unsure it will go to syndication. Isn't there a majic 100 episodes required or 5 seasons? Maybe I'm wrong ...but Enterprise will end with 98 episodes in the can.
Paramount has ALREADY sold Enterprise into syndication for Fall '05, with 90% of the country cleared already. I suspect that we may yet get one batch of episodes with Capt Archer to 'tie up the loose ends', as it was UPN that cancelled, not Paramount.

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:39 AM

This is unfortunate. The series really just started to get it's legs this year...and the HD has been great.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

My local UPN affiliate went HD 4 weeks ago. I guess I should be greatful that I got to see it in HD before it was cancelled. It looks incredible BTW.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:42 AM

Liked: 12
Maybe for the series finale, the Enterprise could crash-land on the Lost Island? Naturally, everyone would survive and the crew of the Enterprise could carry on.:D

Star Trek... a great programming concept that has run it's course... RIP
Old 02-05-2005, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sure ..that's why the franchise earns more money for paramount than any other property....it's a real loser. Bury it deep.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

I think Enterprise is great. I just wish I had seen it in HD. The local UPN digital affiliate currently broadcasts at the power of a light bulb.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

I wont miss it too much seeing what a real scifi series can be after watching BSG. Hopefully the STar Trek people learn a lesson from this one and try to move away from the uber politically correct ideology star trek is being limited by.

Fernando
Old 02-05-2005, 08:03 AM

While I do enjoy the new BSG I don't believe the plots are ground breaking. What stands out is the look, sound and pace of the episodes. Trek is stuck in that 80's brand of storytelling which doesn't play well anymore. I think it's total BS that Trek needs a rest or has run it's course. What it needs is a fresh set of executive producers that can deliver a new vision of Star Trek. Any new Trek will not survive if they do the same old worn out style. I say give Trek a rest and after 5 to 10 years either put Manny Coto or Ron Moore in charge of the franchise. Manny Coto has proved his talent by producing this seasons Trek episodes and I would love to see him do a new show without his hands tied behind his back by the current executive producers, Berman and Braga. On the other hand BSG's Ron Moore would be an excellent choice also. He was working on Deep Space Nine, which in my opinion had some of the best Star Trek episodes in franchise history.

"I like to watch T.V." - Chauncey Gardner (Being There)
Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This type of thing strikes me as something Cuban would buy. Like Hogans heroes
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 AM

My local UPN has a sorry broadcast. Graining, dark and analog. I watch most of the episodes by downloading a HDTV-xvid version. They looked great. Thanks go out to all the HDTV viewers that took the time to give the rest of us a better way to view Enterprise. I will also miss the show and hope someone picks it up.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The reason it stayed on so long in spite of its low ratings was because Paramount lowered its asking price to UPN. They wanted more episodes for syndication. Any other show (with the same budget) would have been cancelled after last season. And the ratings are even lower this season.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 02-05-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Clancy
Sure ..that's why the franchise earns more money for paramount than any other property....it's a real loser. Bury it deep.
I can still enjoy watching an occasional episode of the next rendition of Star Trek Enterprise. What you don't know is I'm old enough to remember watching the original series too.:eek: While in college... for the 1st time, broadcasters showed repeat episodes of the original series. As a young man I was quite entertained watching Captain Kirk romance alien woman thought the galaxy.:D I've watched some or all the various renditions of STE since. After the original the 'next' best version was Star Trek The Next Generation. Since then ST has slowly gone downhill. However, I did watch the entire season of UPN's Enterprise last year, but not during 04-05'.

The Star Trek Enterprise programming concept has enjoyed a long run but it's life-cycle has come to an end. I say let it RIP!.

Currently, I prefer BSG then SG-Atlantis on the SciFi channel, because they offer something new.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You wanna talk old? I watched TOS in b/w on my folks electrahome when it first aired. Trek has been a friend ever since. My greatest hope is they do another series that continues where tng left off ...forget the retro . Get some of the past actors reprising their rolls from tng/ds9/voyager with a new crew, freshen the writing and keep the pace up. THEN get the darned thing properly distributed (forget upn for gawds sake). The audience is there ....give them what they want...it's not rocket science (bad pun).
Love of trek has been handed down from generation to generation ...the values are sound. Changing the trek universe to match the utter drivel thats on most other souless scifi garbage will not make the series more popular ...it will just turn off the core audince...much as the backtracking in Enterprise did. Move the series forward with higher tech, better sfx and great origonal writing/acting and make it available in hd EVERYWHERE. The last movie was an example of how poor writing(evil twins for data and picard ...oh that's never been done) and casting (unknown villan ...very weak)killed an otherwise great project. The concepts are sound...the devil is in the details.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fs123
I wont miss it too much seeing what a real scifi series can be after watching BSG. Hopefully the STar Trek people learn a lesson from this one and try to move away from the uber politically correct ideology star trek is being limited by.
The real question is when will we see this "real" scifi in HD?

Im not waiting for crappy us tv station to get my stargate:atlantis in HD moving to canada any day now.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This really sucks. UPN, what flavor of bad ganja are you guys smokin'?

What kind of drivel are you gonna put on in it's place?
Maybe another pathetic "reality' show? This was the only worthwhile show you had on your schedule!

Thank god for the Sci-Fi channel with it's Stargate shows that will give me a decent taste of Sci-Fi! Hey, Sci-Fi channel...I smell an opportunity here, boyz!

I'm pissed off & fired up at you UPN yokels!

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
I say give Trek a rest and after 5 to 10 years...
Why do people keep saying this? It doesn't need a, "5 to 10 year rest". What it needs is new blood at the helm, and fresh ideas. The fact the B&B are saying things like, "They've been to the well once to often," tells me that they should have been fired a long time ago. If they really want to save Trek, now is the time to do it. Not ten years from now. Bring in new producers, new directors, and most importantly, NEW WRITERS.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hardballpete
This really sucks. UPN, what flavor of bad ganja are you guys smokin'?
I haven't done that since watching Star Trek in college.:D
Quote:
Originally posted by hardballpete
What kind of drivel are you gonna put on in it's place?
Maybe another pathetic "reality' show?
I have to admit I watch Survivor & American Idol and I say bring back "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance’!":D
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
The real question is when will we see this "real" scifi in HD??
I know, talk about a channel made for HD!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Did you even watch Enterprise last season? One notable moment was stealing equipment they needed (or something) from an non-hostile alien ship and leaving it stranded.

Quote:
Originally posted by fs123
try to move away from the uber politically correct ideology star trek is being limited by.

Matt
Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
I did watch the entire season of UPN's Enterprise last year, but not during 04-05'.
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
Did you even watch Enterprise last season? One notable moment was stealing equipment they needed (or something) from an non-hostile alien ship and leaving it stranded.
Did you even read the prior post?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Rutgar
It doesn't need a, "5 to 10 year rest". What it needs is new blood at the helm, and fresh ideas.
No kidding. One of the big problems I had with Trek was the recycling of story ideas. For example, with the last two series, it seems any time they ran out of better ideas, they resorted to a time travel story. Sure, in TOS there were a couple of FANTASTIC time travel episodes. But by Voyager that premise had become a crutch. The first time they started dealing with a time travel storyline on Enterprise, I knew the executive producers and writers had pretty much ran out of ideas, and Paramount needed to hire all new people to run the Trek franchise. Hopefully they will learn their lesson. In the meantime, SciFi Fridays are great. I'm enjoying BSG and the two Stargate series more than any Trek since Next Generation.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here in L.A. there is no HD for Enterprise on UPN. However I have taped and saved every episode of Enterprise (VHS EP). (I have every episode of every Star Trek on tape).

I have not watched any 04-05 season episodes yet. My daughter gave me TOS season 1 on DVD. On several occcasionsI had the choice of rewatching for the10th time a TOS episode or watching the new season of Enterprise. I am now on episode 7 of TOS.

Rick R
Old 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Paramount has ALREADY sold Enterprise into syndication for Fall '05, with 90% of the country cleared already. I suspect that we may yet get one batch of episodes with Capt Archer to 'tie up the loose ends', as it was UPN that cancelled, not Paramount.
UPN is owned by Paramount. And no, you won't see any more episodes of Enterprise as a metter of fact you won't see any new trek for a minimum of three years.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
UPN is owned by Paramount. And no, you won't see any more episodes of Enterprise as a matter of fact you won't see any new trek for a minimum of three years.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Here in L.A. there is no HD for Enterprise on UPN. However I have taped and saved every episode of Enterprise (VHS EP). (I have every episode of every Star Trek on tape).
It simply amazes me that so many large markets still aren't showing HD on their digital channels. I feel really lucky in that Dallas was one of the first regions in the country to get HD (initially, WFAA - the ABC affiliate here), and currently has all six of it's OTA digital stations broadcasting in HD, when HD is available, and has been for years. My dad lives in Amarillo. Right now, he doesn't get UPN at all. And, the only OTA digital channel there that is actually broadcasting in HD is CBS.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, there goes my reason for watching UPN and wanting it in 1080i.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!