Closed Thread

post #91 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by rad
People want to watch programming like The Sheild or Stargate SG1, or Nextel Cup NASCAR races and the current crop of HD only channels don't have the $'s to get that programming. Yes, when folks first get their HD set's they'll watch anything that's in HD. But after a few weeks the novelity wares off and they watch the shows they want to watch be it in SD or HD.
Yes, but as the total viewership of HD channels becomes greater, these networks will be making more money and will be able to compete more effectively for more compelling content.

Also, I am not suggesting that advertisers are going to abandon network TV (or cable nets for that matter) for HD only channels. If anything, I have no doubt that the nets will capitalize on their HD programming and will start to charge a premium to carry ads in HD. What I am suggesting is that the rate that an HD only network will be able to charge PER HOUSEHOLD will be much higher than that of network OR cable TV IMHO. Sure, then networks will still grab the lion's share of the dollars since they have the lion's share of the eyeballs, however selling ads on HD only networks will be very profitable business I can assure you.

Think about it this way, if I am Mercedes Benz, who is more likely to be in the market for a new S-Class - the typical Survivor viewer who watches on a 10 year old 27" TV or a Discovery HD Theater viewer with a brand new $10k 50" plasma? Granted no program on DHDT is EVER going to get anywhere near the number of viewers that Survivor or CSI attracts, however the viewers that they do attract are going to be highly valued by advertisers as long as there are enough viewers in total to be worth the added cost and expense to advertise to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 08:09 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by ripit
Think about it this way, if I am Mercedes Benz, who is more likely to be in the market for a new S-Class - the typical Survivor viewer who watches on a 10 year old 27" TV or a Discovery HD Theater viewer with a brand new $10k 50" plasma?
I would agree id Discovery HD Theater had an 'A' slate of programming, but there's way too many repeats and programming that a top end (aka big money) view would watch. It's all about content, not just because it's in 1080i. The advertiser is going to go where the dollars are and just because a channel is in HD doesn't mean that top end views will be the one's watching it. Someone that hat the $10K plasma won't be watching 20+ year old movies on HDNet Movies, they'll be watching D-VHS HD movies or DVD's, or CNBC to watch how their stocks are doing. If it was just about HD channels then Voom wouldn't be going under.
post #93 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 08:54 AM

I don't think that you are following the logic. Whether or not you personally like the content does not mean that others feel the same way. What I am saying is that whoever is watching HDNET, DHDT, UniversalHD, etc. one thing advertisers know about them is that they own at least an HD capable TV. If you were to segment out those with HD capable TV vs. those without, you will find that those owning HDTV's have a much higher disposable income.

This is the same logic that makes CNBC valuable to advertisers - not too many poor people watch programs about stocks and investments. That said, business news is not right for all advertisers seeking high income consumers. Luxury brands that want to differentiate themselves as youthful and hip avoid business media like the plague because it is seen as old and stodgy.

Right now, much of the repeating content is due to the fact that HD does not currently generate much, if any, revenue. Once this ceases to be the case I guarantee you will much fewer repeats and much more compelling content. If there were no future revenue potential with HD, these channels simply would not exist - since there ain't any money in it now. The content we are seeing now is the bare minimum they can put out and keep people interested until it becomes a business.
post #94 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 AM

Even if there is a way the sale can be pulled off, the closure notice had to go out. Federal WARN law requires 60 day public notice before you can have a massive layoff. Since there is no deal, they had to send it out. Although, I think you can tell by the tone of the memo that they would rather shut it and sell it, and be done with it all.

post #95 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by ripit
Right now, much of the repeating content is due to the fact that HD does not currently generate much, if any, revenue. Once this ceases to be the case I guarantee you will much fewer repeats and much more compelling content. If there were no future revenue potential with HD, these channels simply would not exist - since there ain't any money in it now. The content we are seeing now is the bare minimum they can put out and keep people interested until it becomes a business.
That's my logic, not generating revenue so no $'s to get new/original progamming. Without the programming to make people want to watch advertisers aren't going to pay the big bucks so no new programming and no advertising dollars. I also disagree with your assumption thay there will be future revenue potential for HD only channels, on this we'll just have to disagree. DiscoveryHD has been on the air now for a couple of years, besides Circuit City, how many other advertisers can you recall seeing? How about HDNet, I don't recall many commercials showing up over there. If it wasn't for Mark Cuban having the dollars to throw at this (and him being a techie geek) HDNet wouldn't have seen the light of day.

HD is the future and more and more content will be in HD, but the HD only channels being a major draw for advertisers, nope I don't see it. We'll just have to disagree on this.
post #96 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Until I am looking at a blank screen, I won't worry about it. Besides, other than paying my Voom bill and giving my public support of Voom what I do, say, or think won't make a bit of difference in the outcome. By the way, still Vooming here in Indy!

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #97 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
The latest summary of the current situation from the Wall Street Journal:
Voom's Future Is Uncertain Amid Conflicting Statements
By PETER GRANT Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL March 1, 2005 1:37 p.m. ET
Confusion swirled Tuesday over the future of the Voom satellite service, owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., as Cablevision's battling chairman and chief executive put out conflicting memos to employees about whether the satellite business would continue.

Cablevision chief executive James Dolan told Voom employees that the company's board has ordered that Voom will be closed. The memo states that Cablevision will help Voom employees find work in other parts of the company.

But another memo sent to Voom employees by Charles Dolan, Cabelvision's chairman and James Dolan's father, states that "members of the Dolan family remain committed" to the business and that "financing for the purchase of Voom operations is in place."

The dueling memos are the latest sign of open warfare within the board room of Cablevision as well as the Dolan family, which built Cablevision into the country's sixth largest cable operator. Charles Dolan, the company's 78-year-old founder, has been the champion of Voom, because he believes that satellite is a more efficient way of distribution television signals than cable. But James Dolan sided with a majority of board members in January who voted to discontinue Voom and sell its only satellite to EchoStar Communications Corp.

After that humiliating defeat, Charles Dolan, and another one of his sons, Tom Dolan, formed a new company that cut a tentative deal with Cablevision to buy Voom's remaining assets. But they had until Monday to finalize that deal and they were failed to do so, triggering the conflicting memos from the two camps. Cablevision also issued a press release Monday stating that Voom would be shut down.

The fighting has produced volatility in Cablevision's stock. It has risen in recent weeks on speculation that Charles Dolan, who controls the majority of a special class of stock with super voting rights, might decide to put Cablevision on the block to raise funds to finance Voom. In early afternoon trading today, Cablevision shares were down 92 cents, or 3%, at $30.14, on news that Cablevision had stopped negotiations to sell Voom's remaining assets to Charles Dolan's new company.

Volatility in Cablevision's stock will likely continue given Charles Dolan's reluctance to throw in the towel. Analysts estimate that he would need about $400 million a year to continue financing Voom, but they doubt that he would be able to find partners willing to invest in a business that many analysts feel is not viable. His most likely source of capital would be his shares in Cablevision, valued at slightly under $1 billion.

Even if Charles Dolan agrees to pull the plug on Voom, that might stop him from selling Cablevision. "Regardless of the fate of Voom, we wonder whether irreparable harm has been done to Dolan family business relations," states Richard Greenfield, an analyst with Fulcrum Global Partners. "We believe the potential for a sale of Cablevision is becoming ever more probable."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Cablevision probably wants voom shut down as soon as it can so it can stop losing money at a big-time pace. It is a good thing they do not let Isiah Thomas run cablevision like they let him run the N.Y. Knicks cause I could not even imagine how crappy they would be and lose probably even more money, lmao
post #99 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Was the new 46k sub number ever discussed anywhere here?

I was busy last night (ae700 arrived) so wasnt around much but its a shame we wont be able to "debunk" that myth perpetrated by the voom bashers.
post #100 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Was the new 46k sub number ever discussed anywhere here?
I believe it was in the VOOM LLC release responding to Cablevision.
post #101 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by houselog442
Cablevision probably wants voom shut down as soon as it can so it can stop losing money at a big-time pace. It is a good thing they do not let Isiah Thomas run cablevision like they let him run the N.Y. Knicks cause I could not even imagine how crappy they would be and lose probably even more money, lmao
Come on good old Zeke would just trade the VOOM service for all E* HD channels and the right to any (if ever ) future E* HD channels.. God I wish Jimmy would sell those teams to somebody like Steinbrenner.
post #102 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Somebody is going to have to "bite the bullet" and assume the debt that Voom has amassed. The E* asset sale only goes so far, and because it's a Dolan involved, like fredfa said, the SEC isn't going to look too kindly on Dolan skimming off the cream. If it were anyone else bidding, they could probably walk away with the few remaining assets and the existing customers for a steal - just a higher bid than anyone else. But Dolan won't be allowed to just walk away and stick CV with the tab.
The way I see it, since no one is going to bid on it or willing to assume the debt, why not give it to the Dolans at a steal? It's better than writing it all off, at least you do not have to bear the cost of shutting it down.

The problem is I don't see Dolans even coming up with the money needed to keep VOOM going. If VOOM was a badly excecuted project before, it will be even worse from the operational aspect. They will have to compete the test of a new and larger dish, repoint for all the subs, and deal with the technical issues as the result of the repointing the dishes.

The fact that any one of those technical issues was not even mentioned gives you a clue how things are going at the VOOM LLC. Meanwhile they still try to leave you the impression that VOOM will continue to expand. How can they get away with doing that?
post #103 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tomlin
It would seem that the amount of time given to come up with the financing was way too short. They should give Dolan more time.
Yeah, maybe when his offer of 600 million for the development rights to the West Side yards is turned down....

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #104 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is from Voom's Website:

Voom has ceased taking new customer orders and will shut

down by the end of March.

http://www.voom.com/see_it/index.shtml
post #105 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Just another volley in the drama.
post #106 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
Just another volley in the drama.
Looks like more then a volley to me.. I hope one hits little Jimmy in the head...:mad:
post #107 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:45 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by boo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;)

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #108 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
Looks like more then a volley to me.. I hope one hits little Jimmy in the head...:mad:
What I mean is, it is consistent with the press release from the owners of Voom saying very clearly that they will be shutting down Voom as quickly as 30 days. If you were holding out hope for some miracle development, nothing has changed.

But there's no question that, ignoring all meaningless speculation, the default scenario at this point in time is: Voom is finished.
post #109 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 01:51 PM

At this moment I'd guess the CSR's, who are contract, are likely getting the boot. If you have an install due I would decline it. In fact if I had an install recently I would worry about a contractors lean getting placed on the property in the event Voom doesn't pay the installers.

post #110 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Satguys is saying it was a hacker, and not legitimate.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #111 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally posted by boo

Now THAT'S the darkest news yet. Doesn't look good. :(
post #112 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Satguys is saying it was a hacker, and not legitimate.
I'm somehow doubting that, but who knows.
post #113 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Now THAT'S the darkest news yet. Doesn't look good. :(
Been trying to tell y'all that but y'all won't listen! Now do you believe it?

post #114 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nope... everyone is saying it's a hack. It was really unprofessional looking, and not a single person knew anything about it. If it's not a hack, it was a really crappy way to let their own employees know ;)

post #115 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Nope... everyone is saying it's a hack. It was really unprofessional looking, and not a single person knew anything about it. If it's not a hack, it was a really crappy way to let their own employees know ;)
But they let their employees know via the memo. And who is this "everyone"? How does this "everyone" know that the website was a hack?

post #116 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:21 PM

It's not a "hack" as in someone from the outside did it. I'm sure, in hushed voices, they got a webmaster from a different Cablevision site to make the change on the machine. This is the typical way of doing business. The CSRs are contract, they will be the very last people to know anything about what's going on.

Could Dolen Sr. still buy voom? Yeah, but every second over the deadline it gets harder and harder to do.

post #117 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Everyone is everyone that Satguys has talked to, which is a lot more Voom people than you or I know... ;). Even the webmaster.

post #118 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

well see how this plays out but if its really been hacked it should be off.... not on putting out that msg still.
post #119 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, if it was really hacked, they would've fixed it by now...
post #120 of 4636 Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not if someone managed a redirect... but what can ya do? ;)

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page