VOOM HITS MIDNIGHT - WEBSITE: "Cease 4/30/05" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Believe it or not. I did call VOOM to see what was going on. The man said they are still open and have no thought of closing. He even has a lot of new people to install. I have a 6 month comittiment so I really can't say I am leaving until they officially say they quit. I really do wish a secret would come up and they open. I do enjoy VOOM if it is around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
JMHO, but I'd seriously consider disconnecting the boxes (from the sat coax) prior to the end of the month to make sure the OTA tuner doesn't get a "kill" signal from the satellite. I know you guys would hate to miss out on a week or two of programming, but it might be the difference between owning a DTV STB, or a paperweight.
post #183 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Everyone is everyone that Satguys has talked to, which is a lot more Voom people than you or I know... ;). Even the webmaster.
And who is that little Jimmy "sweet cheeks" Dolan?
post #184 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Why all the fuss?

Nothing has changed. Cablevision is proceeding as they said they would, and Voom LLC is still trying to arrange a deal.
You are probably right, but why such public fighting. Is it cause they are a dysfunctional family? Well maybe they have one member of the family that is dysfunctional..:D little Jimmy "sweet cheeks" Dolan...
post #185 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Might be now, but at the time no one knew. Not the supposed webmaster, not the CSRs, no one. It's easy to say now that it wasn't a hack attack, but at the time it certainly seemed possible.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #186 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tbb1226
No, Seth, that doesn't make sense. ;)

This show is getting more and more interesting to watch! I may skip watching House tonight, just to see what happens here next!
Dr. House should make a house call to the Dolan's and set the younger Jimmy straight. Maybe hut him in the cane with his magic stick.
post #187 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Might be now, but at the time no one knew. Not the supposed webmaster, not the CSRs, no one. It's easy to say now that it wasn't a hack attack, but at the time it certainly seemed possible.
Still even so just a bad and very unprofessional way to run a business..
post #188 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
JMHO, but I'd seriously consider disconnecting the boxes (from the sat coax) prior to the end of the month to make sure the OTA tuner doesn't get a "kill" signal from the satellite. I know you guys would hate to miss out on a week or two of programming, but it might be the difference between owning a DTV STB, or a paperweight.
Truly sad stuff.. I still think the final chapter in "Dolan Vs Dolan" has not been played out yet.
post #189 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh, I agree with that. It was a really terrible move. Even if Dolan Sr. somehow pulled off a miracle and kept it afloat, they've managed to alienate both the employees and the customer base. Honestly, I think Jim Dolan did it to put a spear through the heart of the "Voom can be saved" camp.

post #190 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by patrickpiteo
Truly sad stuff.. I still think the final chapter in "Dolan Vs Dolan" has not been played out yet.
Maybe not, but right now you at least have the benefit of a somewhat hard shutoff date. If something happens beyond that, you can always hook 'em back up.
post #191 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I agree with that. It was a really terrible move. Even if Dolan Sr. somehow pulled off a miracle and kept it afloat, they've managed to alienate both the employees and the customer base. Honestly, I think Jim Dolan did it to put a spear through the heart of the "Voom can be saved" camp.
One ? how can any son do that to his dad? Especially a dad that has put him in the powerful position he is in today. It is almost like the son saying pay not attention to the old fool.. I am in charge. Just a lot of no respect if you ask me.
post #192 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

He's got the backing of the board, and is apparently feeling his oats. Plus he has a very real fear that his father will sell Cablevision, which would put him out of a job.

post #193 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Will we get to keep the boxes even if we didn't buy them (i.e. leasing them)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He's got the backing of the board, and is apparently feeling his oats. Plus he has a very real fear that his father will sell Cablevision, which would put him out of a job.
I am really hope that happens.. Let him find out what it really like to work for a living.
post #195 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tomlin
Will we get to keep the boxes even if we didn't buy them (i.e. leasing them)?
Nobody knows, but CV would have to decide if collecting them would cost more than they're worth.
post #196 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are partially correct. The box does not get a "kill" signal. What the box does get are periodic "Good to go" signals form the satellite. In the absence of the good to go signals the box will eventually go into lock mode. Disconnecting the LNB will not prevent that from happening. You would somehow have to disconnect the internal clock or timer on the box. Not possible without the proper knowledge and equipment.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #197 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred M
Voom subscribers have increased to 46,262, including 5,622 who have been awaiting installation, compared with about 26,000 on Sept. 30, 2004, according to a source familiar with the numbers.
From 26k to 51.9k subscribers is pretty good growth for a quarter. 99.8% growth by my calculations. I think it really shows that Cablevision pulled the plug too soon. You just can expect to have the 10 million subs (ridiculous comparison) that D* has after only a year.
post #198 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Guys like this really scare me. Unreal. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Why are you afraid? I don't understand. Oh, I see, you're afraid of the truth. Ok, now I understand.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #199 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
By the way, under WARN, you must give 60 days notice. The fact that they are invoking WARN means that they cannot lay these people off for 60 days (or at least give them pay for all 60 days). Warn is triggered by an intent to layoff a lot of people in a specific location. I wish I didn't know about this, but unfortunately I do!
although that is true under "normal" circumstances - that doesnt really hold true here...check out Section 2102(b)(1-3):

---------------------
"(b) Reduction of notification period

(1) An employer may order the shutdown of a single site of employment before the conclusion of the 60-day period if as of the time that notice would have been required the employer was actively seeking capital or business which, if obtained, would have enabled the employer to avoid or postpone the shutdown and the employer reasonably and in good faith believed that giving the notice required would have precluded the employer from obtaining the needed capital or business.

(2)

(A) An employer may order a plant closing or mass layoff before the conclusion of the 60-day period if the closing or mass layoff is caused by business circumstances that were not reasonably foreseeable as of the time that notice would have been required.

(B) No notice under this chapter shall be required if the plant closing or mass layoff is due to any form of natural disaster, such as a flood, earthquake, or the drought currently ravaging the farmlands of the United States.

(3) An employer relying on this subsection shall give as much notice as is practicable and at that time shall give a brief statement of the basis for reducing the notification period. "
---------------------

its arguable whether or not this was "reasonably forseeable" as mentioned in (b)(2)(a) - but theres no getting around the exception of (b)(1) - they were activley seeking capital no doubt...

bottom line - this WARN letter was definitely sufficient - they can shut down any day now and not be liable under that act...

uhhh...hd what...?
post #200 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by dparker
From 26k to 51.9k subscribers is pretty good growth for a quarter. 99.8% growth by my calculations. I think it really shows that Cablevision pulled the plug too soon. You just can expect to have the 10 million subs (ridiculous comparison) that D* has after only a year.
How the heck did you get 51.9 thousand, it said "46,262, including 5,622 who have been awaiting installation", and it is still bad based on the only time they can get subs and reduce churn is give it away ($1) which costs them too much money to get subs and tie them to a contract so they won't leave which pisses people off, just read the posts from E* and D* subs that want to leave but can't, all they do then is bad-mouth the company then and usually don't go back.
post #201 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

I read that as being 46k subscribers and 5k installations but I see how it could be read the other way. Either it's a 99.8% growth or a 77.9%. Both would be encouraging if not for the shut down.
post #202 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

You know whats funny, given the fact that nothing much has happened on the HD front in the past few months, this is really entertaining. I mean after NFL ended, HD sports content is harder to find. It will pick up with March Madness but I've been really dissappointed lately. No TNT and ESPN2 on D*.

Its just waiting but this Voom foley is filling the void. Holywood tries to make this stuff up but this is is real. I cant wait to read more. HD madness and the Dolans. Now thats entertainment! I would even watch that in SD.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #203 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

This thread is hillarious.
post #204 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 AM

I just went to the voom website and it says it all, no new customers and will shutdown at the end of march!
post #205 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost00
This thread is hillarious.
Yes and also sad.
post #206 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrek
I just went to the voom website and it says it all, no new customers and will shutdown at the end of march!
Old news that has been up since yesterday...
post #207 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Then whats the problem
post #208 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrek
Old news that has been up since yesterday...
post #209 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Then whats the problem ? :p

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #210 of 4636 Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

So the big question is whether or not I'll be getting my free Sound & Vision mag for a year. :confused:
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page