American Idol on Fox - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Carrie looks the way a woman should look -- nice curves and good in jeans.

And for those who haven't lived in the midwest -- they don't really work out, unless its on the farm. That not a slam, but the truth. Her being a sweet girl from Oklahoma makes me like her even more -- mainstream american values and appeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by biglyle

Damn, this should be a poll.
Carrie Underwood, HOT OR NOT
You've got to find at least another person to share your opinion before starting a poll :)
post #633 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't think of any women I have met or seen on TV or any place
for that matter, that could top Paula for being totally annoying.
Simon can not say anything without her commenting. He is not
allowed an opinion if it doesn't pass her approval. It's not a gender
thing for me. My wife say's, Paula is beyond rude and screams at
the screen when she opens her mouth.

We are just about done watching this show because of Paula.
What the hell are the producers thinking? She is not entertaining,
she is flat out awful.

She'd probably applauds this. Writer, you are amazing, I do stink.
By all means, get rid of me.
post #634 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally posted by bunkers

And for those who haven't lived in the midwest -- they don't really work out, unless its on the farm. That not a slam, but the truth.

The truth? That's just plain absurd.

And I did live there, for 23 years.
post #635 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kittycarole
Nadia best performance of the night. And every week she's stunning to look at. Sure Carrie can sing... but IMO Nadia has a more sultry and soothing voice.
Stunning to look at? Just shows how tastes vary. I keep thinking that she should have a broken neck from sleeping on that rag pile hairdo. But she is a decent performer compared to some others. Whomever picked musicals for this week's theme should be dismissed forthwith. Hardly any memorable performances for me with last night's show.

As to Nadia, there is a reason she has been in the bottom three voting for the past two weeks. Maybe a third time will be the charm.
post #636 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And for those who haven't lived in the midwest -- they don't really work out, unless its on the farm. That not a slam, but the truth.
What in the world are you talking about? I've lived in the Midwest for many years and your statement has me in a loss for words. I'm not sure where you might have visited or lived but I assure you, you could not be further from the truth.
post #637 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 12:54 PM

My vote - Carrie = Hot
post #638 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM

OK, I apologize for the insulting comment ...

My experience was based on living in Kansas City about 15 years ago.

I noticed that the health clubs were nearly empty and that even an everage guy like me could make the football team.

From that experience, I got the impression that midwesterners (at lease those in Kansas City) were not very interested in exercising .... because back then, almost nobody was.

Sorry for the incorrect assertion.
post #639 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Isn't a vote over Carrie being hot or not about as valid as a vote asking whether Scott is a babe magnet or not ? come on ...
post #640 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

carrie underwood is smokin.....fat? i don't think so.

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #641 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Simon was right when he told Ryan not to EVER do the Musicals thing again. It proved to me once again that NONE of these contestants really has much talent. Each of those tunes required a two-octave+ singing range, requiring the contestant to either start singing so low they couldn't hold pitch (which Simon pointed out repeatedly), or forcing us to listen to that last screeching high note at the end of the song. You may think Simon is a jerk, but he was RIGHT ON last night. We cringed through the whole show.
post #642 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Isn't a vote over Carrie being hot or not about as valid as a vote asking whether Scott is a babe magnet or not ? come on ...
Not when it comes to selling CDs. Just ask Britney or Ashley or any of the countless other talentless "hacks" out there selling millions...image is everything.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #643 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedee
We cringed through the whole show.
We did too. It's almost as if the judges (using word liberally when it comes to Paula) can't hear the singers like we can. Very average talent last night.
post #644 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Britney Spears has more talent and looks than anyone on Idol. But you already knew that.

It's clear to me why Paula is on the show. Simon started the AI franchise by drawing fire as the a**hole critic. Now that he's refined his approach, Paula's screeching actually has made him a sympathetic character.

Think about it: You, the producer, by adroit casting decisions, change your image from a**hole to voice of sanity. As the Brits would say, "Brilliant!"
post #645 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime
Britney Spears has more talent and looks than anyone on Idol. But you already knew that.
You forgot the little smilie face - you can't be serious.
post #646 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
I enjoy AI - I thoroughly enjoy Survivor & The Apprentice - but as far as reality programming goes - The Amazing Race is the most entertaining and well put together hour on television - by a large margin IMHO.
My wife and I completely agree, we love The Amazing Race.
post #647 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by PrimeTime
Britney Spears has more talent and looks than anyone on Idol. But you already knew that.[/i]
I don't think so. Britney puts on a good show and looks good but she's not above average as a singer in my opinion. :)
post #648 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Carrie is very attractive. Hot? I dont know about that. Havent seen her in a bikini.
post #649 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Britney and singing don't go together, its more like Britney and sex.
post #650 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kruel
Remember what happened to Rush Limbaugh? He almost completely lost his hearing because he was abusing prescription pain pills. I think the same thing is happening to Paula.

Her eyes are always glazed over, she's slurring her words, she's clapping with her palms (and sometimes misses), and she's cheering for the contestants instead of judging them.

She also was too drugged up to realize that she hit another car and was charged with hit and run.

Someone needs to check her into rehab...
You hit the nail on the head. My wife and I were talking about this exactly word for word. She is on a ton of pills and someone needs to give her a drug test.
post #651 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
WTF?!?!

Scott's still in!

post #652 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rutgar
WTF?!?!

Scott's still in!
Once again, the psycho vote saves his a$$.
post #653 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Hate to say I told you so, but I did. :)
post #654 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 08:01 PM

TVOD said:
Also, how do other Fox shows sound in 5.1? Finally, what station are you getting the HD from, and is it from off the air? As for the show, I liked Nadia

I liked Nadia too.

All other 5.1 shows sound fabulous on my Mirage sound system. I get the 5.1 and HD OTA from Fox in LA. I could not try my experiment to listen to the analog pro-logic FOX 11 OTA, because that would have involved switching antennas around and losing the picture for a minute, which my wife would not allow during the singing. Last night the 5.1 vocal mix was very bad again, several others on this forum have noticed times when the 5.1 vocals are drowned out, just like I have. My Mirage CC speaker is one of the warmest sounding center channel speakers available, and when it sounds shrill on something, something is very wrong.

The audio in Directv's local channel stereo feed was well balanced again, but the vocal quality was not as good as I remembered from before.

I noticed last night in 5.1 that the band and orchestra sounded fairly good, clean, & warm, even "big" at times, but the vocals were always distorted, lifeless, thin, and shrill, more so when they were belting it out. I have done location recording, and it sounded to me like a combination of the wireless mic preamp being over loaded (distortion), followed by the vocal signal being flattened by a compressor set to stun (lifeless), followed by EQ that removes warm mid range (thin) and spikes the treble hard so the vocal "cuts through" the dense mix (shrill), followed by the whole vocal channel being set too low in the 5.1 mix (maybe a blessing considering what it sounded like). For a national music show this popular, I would upgrade and readjust the whole vocal audio chain, and put it higher in the mix, since after all, it is a singing contest....
post #655 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Also, I have not seen anyone post this info here before, but my wife has had spinal neck surgery, and she says it has been well known on the "spiney" boards for years that Paula has had multiple major spinal surgeries to try to correct crippling pain from a cheerleading accident she once suffered. She could still be on some serious pain meds because of that.
post #656 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Scott is still in?:confused:

Fantasia, terrible performance, was that singing or screaming?
post #657 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Anthony and Scott need to take a hike. After them, Bo and Anwar should be next. I'm just glad Nikko is finally out (again!). And why in the hell was Vonzell in the bottom three. Granted the musical week sucked for everyone but she has gotten a hell of a lot better over the three prior weeks. I'd put her in the top three.

And I agree about Fantasia, all she did was scream and hop up and down. I'm sorry but that just doesn't do it for me. She was by far the worst of last year's final four IMO, voters are punishing us again. :(
post #658 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Scott may be around for awhile.

We now have Anwar, Nadia, and Vonzell. None of them have a big enough fan-base to keep them all out of the final three. Whoever has a bad, lackluster, or bad song-choice performance is gone. Vonzell was probably there tonight because too many in the block thought she was safe and voted for the others. So you can do too well, too, and be hurt. Ask LaToya.

Jessica used to be in that group. She's gone not because she couldn't sing, but because she didn't look like she'd be a sweet and fun girlfriend. She had a hard, mean, untrustworthy look, but she did have some good pipes.

You see, these singers just don't have a strong demographic in the AI audience. It's the young people who vote, and they're voting like crazy for that illusive quality that makes certain kids popular in junior high and high school. It's the vote for Prom Court, folks... pure and simple.

We saw it last year when the two boys who couldn't sing to save their lives, yet managed to stay each week. That little girl with the flower in her hair stayed and stayed, especially after that mean Simon made her cry. And then all the votes shifted to the chubby, perky girl, while the kid-block voted off any talent that was left in the competition.

Scott has a lock on the pity-vote, and the misfits-who-relate. And he made that mind-numbing speech seeking to solidify his strangle-hold on the block even more. After tonight, all he also won the "gay-black-men-who-like-hats" votes, too. ;)

He'll be around for at least another couple of weeks until one of the three above gets dropped. I'm betting on Anwar being next, and I've been right every week so far before even hearing the performances. The performances don't matter a whole lot at this point. Those that vote on talent aren't strong enough of a block to make a difference.
post #659 of 1927 Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Wow, Scott has got the tone-deaf society of America in his back pocket. I never knew that segment of the population was so huge.

My guess is that someone decent will get knocked out next week. The same returds that are voting for Anthony and Scott, will have the same amount of free time on their hand next week

Simon is right....the only one who will be able to sing for a living will have to win the contest outright. There is no outstanding talent in the competition. Carrie comes the closest and the rest are karaoke kopycats at best.

Real talent like Josh Stone and Avril Lavigne don't need American Idol to make it big. These are stars who can go out and get paid for their talent. This American Idol group needs every possible crutch they can hang on to.

Remember Justin Guarini? May he rest in peace. I hope he has a college degree. If you check his website, the latest news is that he's on christmas album with other American Idols for xmas 2004.
post #660 of 1927 Old 04-07-2005, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally posted by vurbano
Carrie is very attractive. Hot? I dont know about that. Havent seen her in a bikini.
Ordinarily not, but she looked pretty hot in that Ford commercial. Anybody catch that?
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page