Grey's Anatomy on ABC - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As long as Denny FINALLY expired, I be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It's a play on the text, "Henry Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091...lance&n=283155
Amazon.com: Gray's Anatomy Descriptive and Surgical: Books: Henry Gray

Ah, keenan you are one smart fellow

Also, FWIW ..Grey Matter - the home of the writers of this show,
(http://www.greyswriters.com/)

is a play on dem cells in da brain.
post #543 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanya View Post

And is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of venom thrown around about the "acting abilities" of the people on the show. It's not that bad. I know, let's replace McDreamy with Keanu Reeves and Grey with Sarah Michelle Gellar. Poor show wouldn't last half a season.

I only comment on bad acting when it's so bad it pulls me out of the imaginary world of the show (or movie) and back to the reality of sitting in front of the TV. Sometimes it's really bad writing that does that (e.g. Commander in Chief). Average acting doesn't due that--I'm generally rather tollerant of acting.
post #544 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

As long as Denny FINALLY expired, I be happy.

As long as that story line expired, I'll be happy. That was pretty over the top at the end.
post #545 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

As long as that story line expired, I'll be happy. That was pretty over the top at the end.

It was wayyyyy over the top. I just wish that Meriedth and "Mr. Can't buy Me Love" would just hurry up and get back together. Personally, I would do Addison over Grey. Well, yeah that and poor choice of wording, but I mean I would take Addision over Grey.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #546 of 978 Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 PM

Liked: 10
It obviously hasn't, seeing as Izzy quit.

-thefatguy
post #547 of 978 Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatguy View Post

It obviously hasn't, seeing as Izzy quit.

Maybe that was for negotiating position with the actress. Perhaps she has a notorious agent or something, and they wanted to send a message.
post #548 of 978 Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Izzy quit the surgical residency. I don't think she quit the show.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #549 of 978 Old 05-25-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Izzy quit the surgical residency. I don't think she quit the show.

My point was more in successful shows with multiple key characters, the actors often start demanding rather high salaries. Not as big of an issue with shows with one or two main characters. But by showing the actors that anyone is expendable (with the possible exception of the actress playing Grey), they can improve their negotiating position, increase their profits, etc.

I wasn't suggesting she was gone, just that the cliff-hanger might be in part due to things that don't pertain to the storyline at all.
post #550 of 978 Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanya View Post

And is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of venom thrown around about the "acting abilities" of the people on the show.

I don't have any problem with the acting. I have a problem with the writing. They've got a great cast with great talent, and then they write all that cheesy Grey/McDreamy crap like it is a cheesy Mexican soap opera. What a waste.

Does anyone remember a show from about 10 years ago called 'The Single Guy". I used to watch that show and think that if they just dumped the main character (Jonathan Silverman) and focused on his extended circle of friends, it would have been 10 times as funny. The supporting cast of characters was much more interesting than the lead. Grey's is the same way. Kill off the Grey character, and all of the cheap Univision theatrics associated with her, and it would be watchable.
post #551 of 978 Old 05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

I think you people are taking for granted the acting on this show, and the relationships and situations that these characters are put into.

The show wouldn't work without these characters. The writers and creators know exactly what they want to do, and how they want their characters to act (hell, Shonda Rhimes already has the entire 3rd season mapped out). Just let them create, sit back and enjoy. I know I will.
post #552 of 978 Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw the season premier tonite. My Wife loves the show; and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was OK. Seems like they are trying a little "Lost" twist, with flashbacks (at least tonite). It's clearly a female-oriented show; the over-abundance of romance angles don't interest me particularly (and in general I don't like doctor shows). But like with House, some of the personalities make watching interesting, for the most part.

Hal
post #553 of 978 Old 09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i thought the primiere was especially weak. it was mostly a recap episode. Nothing new was learned. I'm sure the season will be good, but its been meh so far.
post #554 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Loved it...I loved seeing the backstory, where they came from...Shonda mentioned in her blog that if you paid careful attention to the first scene in Season 1 Episode 1, you'd be rewarded in this episode...I missed it but I think it had something to do with George and Mer's conversation at the meet-n-greet thingy....

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #555 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Some positives about this premiere:
  • Izzie got up and took her first step towards dealing with the loss of her fiance.
  • Derek admitted to Merideth that he is "in love with her."
  • Addison found Merideth's panties after Merideth told her that she was not sleeping with her husband.
  • George and Derek spoke about admitting their love for who they do or don't really love.
  • It looks like they're going to expand on the Richard and Merideth's mom storyline and how it now effects Merideth and Richard's current marriage.
  • I'm actually glad Richard chose the hospital instead of his nagging wife. He could either deal with her issues, or deal with a hospital full of the plague....or else! His wife was a bi+ch anyway and he obviously didn't love her as much as Merideth's mom.

Some negatives about this premiere:
  • It was obviously a catch-up episode. The flash-backs were definitely not needed. We don't need to know how all of these characters met. I was fine with knowing the characters from the pilot episode of this series.
  • The plague story-line was not wrapped up. All of a sudden it's safe for Derek and George to go? Why? Was it a false alarm? Was it just contained and everyone was sure Derek and George were okay without running tests? If it was a false alarm, why was the black man (originally from the practice) and his wife (whos health was complicated by this plague) effected by it? This part was not wrapped up.
  • Chandra Wilson (Miranda Bailey) is by far the worst actress on this show. She's got the mean nurse part down, but when it's time to show any emotion (like at the window with the guy mentioned above) she certainly couldn't sell the fact that she didn't do the right thing with Issie's fiance. Obviously, the plague scene and the fact that she couldn't help him was not about the man at all, but more about the fact that she couldn't help him.
  • Even though Derek told Merideth that he was "in love with her," he didn't state that he would be willing to leave Addison for her. I'm sure things will get more complicated in the next few episodes when everyone see's the panties post on the announcements board.

Overall, a pretty weak episode with to many holes.

Chet
post #556 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
From (series creator) Shonda Rhimes at the greyswriters blog:

those panties play a big part in the first couple of episodes. Those panties are key. Cause Meredith never put them back on. She rushed out to deal with Izzie and left Derek who was asking Meredith, what does this mean? and she never had a chance to put those panties back on. So watch for the panties - and I don't just mean the shot in the promos that has them on the bulletin board in the hospital.

The first episode (which is called Time Has Come Today) deals with, not just the aftermath, but also with the past. I encourage you to watch the original very first episode of Grey's Anatomy from Season One because, if you pay attention to the dialogue and the details, you will be rewarded in this premiere episode with some (hopefully) very interesting tidbits. And I hate the word tidbits but it does describe what I mean perfectly. This first episode of Season Three is meant to reward hardcore fans -- it's also meant to bring us to a place where we can say goodbye to Denny as well as deal with the Mer/Der/Finn of it all. Just remember that nothing is ever wrapped up easily on this show. Because things aren't neat and clean in real life.

http://www.greyswriters.com/
post #557 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

First word, via drudgereport.com, is that "Grey's" rather handily beat "CSI" in the battle of network ratings titans last night.

Full ratings details are still to come.
post #558 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

This is from TVguide.com:

Ratings: CSI Is Taught an Anatomy Lesson

This where the ratings get fun, folks. Cutting to the chase for a moment, Grey's Anatomy's new time slot (and those multiple video-playing online ads, I suppose) paid off big time, as the ABC drama bested 9 o'clock hour stalwart CSI in their premieres' head-to-head clash. The overnight tally: Grey's 25.15 million total viewers, CSI 22 mil. Grey's also has can claim bragging rights to the droolworthy 18-49 demo, where it snagged 50 percent more than CBS' crime drama.
post #559 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman's Friday, September 22, 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )
Primetime Ratings For Thursday, September 21st

The biggest battle of the new season -- Grey's Anatomy vs. CSI -- was underway last night with ABC's red-hot medical drama the clear winner. But CBS still managed to be the most-watched network (770,000 viewers ahead of ABC), while ABC finished first in the overnights and adults 18-49. A night of season premieres on NBC settled for the distant No. 3 spot, while Fox's perennial Thursday audience woes continued. The CW hid under the desk with repeats.

Grey's Anatomy at 9 p.m. opened season three with a hefty 17.1/25 in the overnights, 25.14 million viewers and a 10.9/26 among adults 18-49. CBS' CSI was down, but far from out, with its season-premiere at a 14.9/22 in the overnights, 22.04 million viewers and a 7.5/18 among adults 18-49. For comparative purposes, take a look at both dramas versus their year-ago launches.

Grey Anatomy (ABC)
9/25/05 (Sun. 10 p.m.) - Overnights: 13.2/20, Viewers: 18.98 million, A18-49: 8.3/20
9/21/06 (Thurs. 9 p.m.) - Overnights: 17.1/25, Viewers: 25.14 million, A18-49: 10.9/26
Percent Change - Overnights: +30, Viewers: +32, A18-49: +31

CSI (CBS)
9/22/05 - Overnights: 19.3/27, Viewers: 29.02 million, A18-49: 10.2/25
9/21/06 - Overnights: 14.9/22, Viewers: 22.04 million, A18-49: 7.5/18
Percent Change - Overnights: -23, Viewers: -24, A18-49: -26

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp
post #560 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah I still don't get how they get these ratings...at all...

And I don't get why so many freaking people watch CSI

Josh
post #561 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

And I don't get why so many freaking people watch CSI

Because it is a well written, well acted, interesting show, that is good to look at, with attractive stars who have good chemistry, centered around topics/cases that are creatively handled.

I can't stand formulaic sitcoms, but I can understand why "freaking people watch" them, and its because they are mindless entertainment. At least CSI regularly requires your brain to be used, unless you just sit there and don't try to figure out who the "criminal" is.

Give me a show that requires brain activity over any day.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #562 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, the only problem with CSI is, is that its basically a total fantasy show. Anyone who's worked in any lab or any professional setting would know that they way CSI is presented is totally inaccurate. Now for arguement's sake, Grey's anatomy isnt a medical show where any of that stuff is real either. Thats not how medicine/interns work. But Grey's doesnt pretend to be a fact based medical show, its a drama about relationships happens to take place in a hospital. Whereas CSI is a show that pretends to be a realistic representation of how crimes are solved. in light of this argument, i can sympathise with the comment about 'so many freaking people watching CSI' and I happen to agree with it.
post #563 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I dont' recall CSI being portrayed as a by the book representation, but I do have the luxury of having a brother in law that is an investigator with the Knox County Sheriff's Dept. and for what its worth, he says the show is fairly realistic in the way the investigations are performed. Take that for what its worth, but obviously its not total reality, though I wouldn't call it total fantasy either.

Anyone that believes TV is reality needs there head checked, and anyone that doesn't watch a show or can't believe people would watch a show, that isn't 100% based on realistic portrayals, is picking some serious nits.

You guys wanna bash CSI go right ahead, but I just listed a bunch of reason why its watched. You may not like it, but you should at least respect the fact that a lot of people do.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #564 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

i dont have to respect anyone if i dont like them. if they watch cheesy tv shows, and i dont like it, they deserve to be called out on it. i dont have to respect anyone who watches CSI or The simple life with paris hilton. likewise, they can call me out on anything they dont like that i watch, and if their reasons are legitimate, i will be open and receptive to it and re-evaluate why i watch and if i'll continue to watch.
post #565 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That would seem to be big news for ABC. Who would have imagined this show beating CSI when it came out as a mid-season fill-in for BL?

Hal
post #566 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I just can't watch a tv show that doesn't connect from one episode to the next...I can't see how that is entertaining (but then again I do watch SG-1 and Atlantis, but they connect more than CSI does). I understand why some people watch CSI, but what I don't understand is why its one of the highest rated shows on TV...every week. And the spin-offs are just stupid...same repetitive plot week after week. Its one of the reasons that I can't watch House. While I really enjoy the characters on House, I just can't watch it because each episode isn't really connected and it feels like it should be. However, with something like Scrubs, where I know its not supposed to be connected, I am more easy going and can enjoy it. Or maybe its just personal taste, but that still doesn't explain why CSI is the top-rated show on Thursday nights (well I guess not anymore, but I suspect it will return after the Greys fire burns out)...

Josh
post #567 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Note: this post is NOT aimed at any specific previous post or poster!

If we start demanding TV dramas be "realistic" how will a Law & Order" episode ever get to the conclusion of a "trial" mere weeks after the perp is apprehended?

How will the "Cold Case" folks wrap up years-dead investigations in mere days -- with crucial witnesses (with perfect memories, of course) who often long since should be dead?

How will...well, you get the drift.

It is just entertainment folks. And "popular entertainment" at that. If it doesn't work for you, watch something else. A lot of really smart, educated people like some really dumb (to me, at least) shows. And a lot of people who barely made it through high school enjoy programs on PBS, the Discovery Channel and others of that ilk.

I am always astounded that so many of us feel the need to show our superiority by the shows we watch (or the cars we drive, the TV sets we have, etc.)

Come on. It is entertainment. If some people like it, good for them. If you don't, switch to something else. Or read a Dickens novel, listen to a symphony or admire a Master's painting. But please, let's dial down the supposed intellectual supremacy a bit.

You are no better or worse than your neighbor just because you enjoy "Battlestar" or "The Office" or even "American Idol".
post #568 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Note: this post is NOT aimed at any specific previous post or poster!

If we start demanding TV dramas be "realistic" how will a Law & Order" episode ever get to the conclusion of a "trial" mere weeks after the perp is apprehended?

Within minutes actually, figure a minute for the crime, a minute for the verdict reading and that gives them about 42-43 mins to solve the case. Pretty efficient.
post #569 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Darn, Jim how did you figure out so quickly the post WAS aimed at you!
post #570 of 978 Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 448

Imagine if our real life legal system worked that fast.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page