AFH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by barth2k
yumm, katherine heigl is free to emasculate me by walking around in her undies all day. (anyway, if george (is that his name) doesn't want the women walking in while he showers, all he has to do is "accidentally" turn around and face them w/ an erection and that'll be the end of that.)

I like the show too. It's not anything original or groundbreaking, but it's appealing all the same. It'd be nice if they had a male intern that's neither a wimp nor a pig.

The show is designed so that women can feel empowered when they watch. That is why all of this walking around in panties and having stereotypical pigs and wimps for men is played up heavily in this show. The thing I find funny is that the girls don't expect that guy to get an erection when he sees them in the panties and bra! C'mon, if he watched around with a "straight arrow" they'd stop walking around half-naked with the male roommate is in the same room.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 978 Old 04-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
The show is designed so that women can feel empowered when they watch. That is why all of this walking around in panties and having stereotypical pigs and wimps for men is played up heavily in this show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's it! How could I have missed something so obvious. So then, if we continue to watch this show, we're volunteering ourselves for emasculation.

Actually, any guy who has had women for roommates, knows that the sex-appeal angle vanishes immediately. Or if it doesn't, it's because the woman is so substantially well-matched to you, that the sibling-taboo is overridden. Over a 6-year period, I had 29 housemates who were women. We had a large, 7-bedroom house near campus and I had trouble finding guys who wanted to move into this place. Surprisingly, only a few of them wanted any of these women as surrogate sisters, so only 7 lived there during that time. Finally, when one woman came along who developed a mutual interest with me, we vacated the place within a week, as privacy is required for such things. Believe me, more action will develop with just one woman, than if you're living with six of them.
post #93 of 978 Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect the show is designed to offend overly macho viewers somehow.

- Tom (who likes empowered semi-naked women)

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #94 of 978 Old 04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
If so, trbarry, apparently the plan is working -- at least for those viewing this thread
post #95 of 978 Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 455
We just watched last night's ep. I think the look and feel -- fwiw -- are simple and pleasant.

And I felt -- again -- that this was entertaining fare. It's not ER. It's not supposed to be. But it has sadness in the stories of the patients. Sweetness in the moments of triumph. Acting that isn't bad. It's a pleasant way to spend 45 minutes.

And it's yet another show I'd never, ever see without Tivo.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #96 of 978 Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Just recorded this the other night and its a pretty good show.
post #97 of 978 Old 05-22-2005, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, another season finale; Grey's anatomy; boy that seemed like a short season! Pretty good, I thought, and excellent pq as always. FWIW I asways liked Ally McBeal as well .

This show didn't quite have the feel of a season finale; though, but did have a sort-of surprise ending. Speaking of BL, I always thought it reminded me of Ally McBeal; and I liked it better than GA, but I'm glad both will be back next year. ABC sure has turned their programming around for me this year; Between DH, GA, BL, and Lost; all these are new this year and I like all of them. Still like Deadwood better, of course, but that's what HDTiVo is for

Hal
post #98 of 978 Old 05-22-2005, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

some of the syphillis scenes were funny, but def got too dramatic

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #99 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For some reason I had a honeycombed pattern on the top half of my screen for the last 5 minutes. Who played the doctor's wife at the end? Was it anybody we should know?
post #100 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 10:41 AM

I had that same honeycomb pattern, just assumed it was my dvr that crapped out, but maybe it was the network? I was watching on WABC HD via cablevision, you?
post #101 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It was the east coast ABC feed from DirecTV for me.

We watched this before 24. My partner indicated that if TiVo had that over 24 I'd be in big trouble. Luckily it was confined to that recording. That was really annoying.
post #102 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post

For some reason I had a honeycombed pattern on the top half of my screen for the last 5 minutes. Who played the doctor's wife at the end? Was it anybody we should know?

It was nobody we've seen before on the show, don't know who the actor is..
post #103 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

If the HD mpeg decoder that most ABC stations use to get the network HD feed hangs up you end up with the top half of the picture replaced by a regular grid pattern. The piece of equipment that does that is being replaced as part of a network wide upgrade. All stations in the Western time zone should have the new equipment now. The remainder of the country will be swapping their equipment out as the year progresses.

Rory @ KXTV
Sacramento

Rory
post #104 of 978 Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Boyce View Post

If the HD mpeg decoder that most ABC stations use to get the network HD feed hangs up you end up with the top half of the picture replaced by a regular grid pattern. The piece of equipment that does that is being replaced as part of a network wide upgrade. All stations in the Western time zone should have the new equipment now. The remainder of the country will be swapping their equipment out as the year progresses.

Rory @ KXTV
Sacramento

Thanks for the insider info... that's what I get for recording the east coast feed.
post #105 of 978 Old 09-26-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

As much as I enjoyed the first season of this show it needs to pick up the action much more than the season premier to keep me hooked.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #106 of 978 Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

As much as I enjoyed the first season of this show it needs to pick up the action much more than the season premier to keep me hooked.

That's interesting. I actually thought this episode was more action packed than most episodes from first season -- very enjoyable.
post #107 of 978 Old 09-26-2005, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

Keep in mind that they produced a 14 episode Season 1 - but only aired 9 episodes. This wasn't meant to be a season opener.
post #108 of 978 Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Keep in mind that they produced a 14 episode Season 1 - but only aired 9 episodes. This wasn't meant to be a season opener.

Heck, if I ever knew that I forgot it. This makes the episode much more acceptable, I understand a letdown or two during a regular episode. However I expect some serious action and excitement on season premiers.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #109 of 978 Old 09-26-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i noticed a shift in episode structure on this one

post #110 of 978 Old 10-09-2005, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The last 2 weeks have been very good. Less fluff and more actual storyline. I'm really starting to like this show.

Dave B.
post #111 of 978 Old 10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I liked it better last year; though I liked tonite better than last week. Great pq, though.

Hal
post #112 of 978 Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't like this program when it first come on ... but I tried it again during the summer repeats and got hooked! I never miss it now.

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #113 of 978 Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Monday, October 10, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

Desperate Housewives led into Sunday runner-up Grey's Anatomy, with a 12.9/20 in the overnights, 18.45 million viewers and an 8.2/19 among adults 18-49 at 10 p.m. Although retention for Grey's Anatomy out of Housewives was just 74 percent in the overnights, 72 percent in total viewers and 75 percent among adults 18-49, this is still a marked improvement over former time period occupant Boston Legal
post #114 of 978 Old 10-11-2005, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob View Post

I didn't like this program when it first come on ... but I tried it again during the summer repeats and got hooked! I never miss it now.

Agreed.
In the beginning, Bob, I think I was probably more jaded than you were. The past episode was very good and I am quickly changing my initial impression.
post #115 of 978 Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

I think I liked it better last year; though I liked tonite better than last week. Great pq, though.

I agree. The pq of the opening sequence was great. I'm also glad that the music doesn't drown-out the scenes as it did in the first couple of episodes last season.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #116 of 978 Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yea tonights episode was really good

post #117 of 978 Old 10-12-2005, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I came across this show after trying to watch some episodes of DH. DH did not stick with me but I like this show. I watched almost all of last season (did not have a HD-DVR yet). Now thanks to Comcast HD-DVR I will not miss any episode this season. I really don't care if it is not that realisitc as long as it keeps me entertained. But it is interesting to see how doctors work life is like (even if it is not that realistic).
post #118 of 978 Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ask Matt
(from the Ask (TV Critic) Matt (Roush) column at TVGuide.com

Question: Is it just me, or is Grey's Anatomy the third-best show on TV right now (behind Lost and Veronica Mars, of course)? This last episode, "Make Me Lose Control," was amazing, and Ellen Pompeo gave a terrific performance. I love how there are compelling stories for both the main characters and the patients in the episode, unlike the past-its-prime ER. What you think of the second season? To me it is way better than its lead-in, Desperate Housewives, or another one of my faves, Gilmore Girls (which has been under par this season). Why don't you mention it in your column more? It is a perennial Top 10 show. Oh, love the column, by the way. Ethan

Matt Roush: Well, thanks. I'm also a bit surprised I don't get more questions/comments on Grey's Anatomy, because it's really hitting its stride these days. I was lukewarm on the show when it premiered late last season the pilot episode overused the voice-over narration, which only exacerbated the "It's hard work being a doctor-in-training" clich├ęs. But quickly the show and, more importantly, its many endearing characters, found their feet. Now I'm surprised to find myself enjoying it much more than the creatively uneven Desperate Housewives (more on that and Gilmore Girls later). I'm not sure I'd put Anatomy on my personal Top 10 list quite yet. It's very entertaining, and the Oct. 9 episode (with the discovery of Cristina's ectopic pregnancy and Meredith's infamous mom being admitted to the hospital) was so strong, it felt like sweeps. But it's not especially groundbreaking. The cast is terrific and terrifically diverse, and it's hard to imagine anyone not finding a favorite among the characters (mine is currently George). The chemistry is reminiscent of ER's glory days, when you felt a personal empathy or antipathy toward almost every character (not the ennui of today). The breezy, sexy tone is very appealing as well, and provides a wonderful way to end a Sunday night.

http://tvguide.com/tv/roush/askmatt/
post #119 of 978 Old 10-16-2005, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Another really good show tonight. I am enjoying this more that DH this season.

Dave B.
post #120 of 978 Old 10-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Got it Tivo'd. Great show, one of my favorites, just not alot to talk about.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page