Yankees in HD from YES on DirecTV, Comcast, TWC! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1303 Old 04-01-2005, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 414
It likely has more to do with copyright rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1303 Old 04-01-2005, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So, MLB wants more $$$ if DirecTV wants to show replays of games already shown live, and the NBA wants more $$$ if it allows DirecTV to show the SD games in HD? If so, that's being very petty.
post #93 of 1303 Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by trekkerj
I hate Cablevision.

Join the party my friend. I'll bring the koolaid Thank goodness for D*
post #94 of 1303 Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, no view, and even if I did, the only place I can legally have a dish would be inside pointing out a window, which is not gonna work anyway. I'm stuck with Cablevision and no YES-HD. Dealt with no YES period for an entire year, they may never pay for YES-HD.
Quote:

Originally posted by michaelk
got a clear view of the southern sky?

The 300 or whatever D* charges new subs for the HD box sucks but at least you can get the Yanks.

I cant figure why D* still holds onto that $300 charge for the HD box- its such a barrier to entry for HD subs. Maybe at this point they dont want many more- just that many more to swap in the coming year.

Maybe they get a clue with the new MPEG4 system and really try to compete with cable and ditch that fee like they have for SD boxes and DVR's. But that wont help anyone for now. Probably not even until the holiday buying season...

post #95 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 AM

" the only place I can legally have a dish would be inside pointing out a window, which is not gonna work anyway"

It does work, i do it every year i go down to Fl, signal is in the 90's

adios
Stan
post #96 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't matter, like I said, even with the window, there's trees and a building blocking the direction I would need. Plus, with the HD dish, you need to hit 3 satellites.
post #97 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by michaelk
got a clear view of the southern sky?

The 300 or whatever D* charges new subs for the HD box sucks but at least you can get the Yanks.

I cant figure why D* still holds onto that $300 charge for the HD box- its such a barrier to entry for HD subs. Maybe at this point they dont want many more- just that many more to swap in the coming year.

Maybe they get a clue with the new MPEG4 system and really try to compete with cable and ditch that fee like they have for SD boxes and DVR's. But that wont help anyone for now. Probably not even until the holiday buying season...

I am a D* subscriber due to the fact that Cablevision did not have the 1st season of YES and the Yanks. The Dolans made me get the dish ! I am perfectly happy with D* and would love to completely sever my ties to Cablevision. Problem is that the Optimum Online service is too good.
post #98 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

This probably has nothing to do with this stuff (as in being left out and not getting to see the game in HD), but I live in eastern Iowa, and when [for example] watching a game between the Yankees-Mariners on EI during the season, and the game is either on YES or FSN NW, I get the game from YES on EI 95% of the time.

Could this help my chances any on Sunday night??

(Too bad the game isn't originating from FSN NE or MSG... I never get blacked out when watching professional game replays [like NBA] on them the next day [MLB & NFL only professional sports packages I sub to on D*]. And now that the MLB is starting up again, I'll probly get to see 80% of all the next-day game replays on; MSG, YES, NESN, & FSN NY, as well as my "local" RSNs; FSN MW, FSN N, & ComCast Chicago)

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #99 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 AM

" Problem is that the Optimum Online service is too good."

Yes your right, last april i took the $99 offer for optonline, silver package, and voip,that ends april 11, they want to raise to 135 + tax, im going to wait till the 11th, and try to work something out. Ilike the option of having cable hd, but, not at that price, i also really dont need the voip service.The optonline is a must have for me tho .

adios
Stan
post #100 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDTVwannabe
I live in eastern Iowa, and when [for example] watching a game between the Yankees-Mariners on EI during the season, and the game is either on YES or FSN NW, I get the game from YES on EI 95% of the time.

Could this help my chances any on Sunday night??

I would say that by looking at the EI schedule its not gonna help you since the YANKS-RED SOX game is not on the EI schedule at all.

If Sundays game was part of the EI schedule I would think there would be a good chance that all subs would be eligible to watch it in HD on channel 94.

I think the fact that the game is not on the EI says it all for Sunay though; If youre not in the NY DMA you wont get the game anywhere but from ESPN2 SD on Sunday night.
post #101 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by comanche1700
I would say that by looking at the EI schedule its not gonna help you since the YANKS-RED SOX game is not on the EI schedule at all.

If Sundays game was part of the EI schedule I would think there would be a good chance that all subs would be eligible to watch it in HD on channel 94.

I think the fact that the game is not on the EI says it all for Sunay though; If youre not in the NY DMA you wont get the game anywhere but from ESPN2 SD on Sunday night.

Figures.

I don't have anything against the people in the NYC DMA [or in the Dallas DMA for Mavs games, etc], but what is the real use of using bandwidth for individual games that only a small percentage of America can actually see??

IF ESPN2HD were available, I could see it necessary as those in the NYC DMA would be blacked out, so would need to include them as well, but instead of 100% of D* HD viewers getting to see the game, only those in a specific DMA get it.

Yes, I'm just bitter. Sorry.

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #102 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Figures.

I don't have anything against the people in the NYC DMA [or in the Dallas DMA for Mavs games, etc], but what is the real use of using bandwidth for individual games that only a small percentage of America can actually see??
IF ESPN2HD were available, I could see it necessary as those in the NYC DMA would be blacked out, so would need to include them as well, but instead of 100% of D* HD viewers getting to see the game, only those in a specific DMA get it.
Yes, I'm just bitter. Sorry.

They have to start some place and NYC is the #1 DMA in the country.
Maybe they will add other RSN's or Superstations soon.
RSN's in HD are what keeps many people from jumping to DBS.
This YESHD deal will keep me from going back to Cablevision.
post #103 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 10:10 AM

I just want to thank you guys for this thread and the info, however contradictory it may be. I live in Montana on a farm and have subscribed to YES and MLEI on D* for years. The Yankees are the only sports team I care about and even with the blackouts, etc. it's been heaven to get most of their games every season.

After reading this thread, I called my D* provider for YES HD info. They told me that they know of no new HD channels that are to be added. I told them about channel 94 and got the typical "You know more than we do" response but they said that if 94 is lit up, I'd get it. Thanks a lot for the comprehensive info, D*! This is what I get for $125 a month.

Thank God for this forum. I'm waiting on pins and needles for Sunday night and/or Tuesday as I suspect a YES blackout on Sunday. Oh, by the way, it'll be the Yanks in six over the Red Sox in the ALCS this October after which they'll demolish whover the NL sends to the World Series.
post #104 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to burst your bubble Oldfred, but you still may not get it.
I see tons of programs in my guide that I do not get.
post #105 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 11:22 AM

dm145, yeah, I realize I might not get 94 HD. But I definitely will get the SD YES feed and doesn't the gist of this thread state that the HD feed should be available to those who subscribe to EI and YES on D*? Even those of us who live outside the New York area? Then again I may have misread the previous posts and of course it all seems to be speculation at this time.

Doggone it, I want my Yankees in HD!
post #106 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The MLB EI part has all been speculation based on the fact that D* is currently allowing folks with NBA LP to get the reginal HD games D* has been showing.

You'll just have to wait until April 5th and see if you get the Yes game.
post #107 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 11:36 AM

I just received an email reply from D* in answer to this query:

"I've heard rumors & I'm interested to know if the Extra Innings package (which I've subscribed to for years) will include games in High Def, i.e. the YES HD games? I've heard that it might be done as the League Pass NBA package that included some hi def games in the 90's channels. I'm hoping that I don't have to live in the NY DMA in order to view the YES games in hi def. Please advise & thank you."

Here's the reply:

'Thank you for writing. We are pleased to hear of your interest in high definition baseball. We do not have any information regarding specific games that will be broadcast in high definition. However it will be similar to the NBA package.

Thank you for your inquiry and for your continued support of DIRECTV.'

Clears it right up for me! NOT!
post #108 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Last year the season opened on SUNDAY with the RedSox/Baltimore game on both ESPN and NESN. I watched it on NESN which was not blacked out(here in California). I don't remember if it was officially listed as an EI game on or before that day. the only difference this time is that it isn't even on ESPN but just ESPN2. The Yankees agreed to move the game to Monday, why would they agree to have it blacked out for Yankee fans outside of NY?
post #109 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cudahy
Last year the season opened on SUNDAY with the RedSox/Baltimore game on both ESPN and NESN. I watched it on NESN which was not blacked out(here in California). I don't remember if it was officially listed as an EI game on or before that day. the only difference this time is that it isn't even on ESPN but just ESPN2. The Yankees agreed to move the game to Monday, why would they agree to have it blacked out for Yankee fans outside of NY?

What are you talking about? Monday? The game is Sunday.
post #110 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by bgall
[b]The MLB EI part has all been speculation based on the fact that D* is currently allowing folks with NBA LP to get the reginal HD games D* has been showing.

Not necessarily true. For example, last night's Grizzlies/Bucks game was blacked out, Dallas games on FoxSportsNet have been blacked out, etc. I don't know the reason some games are shown and some are blacked out, but just a select few are in the 90's.
post #111 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baldone01
I just received an email reply from D* in answer to this query:

"I've heard rumors & I'm interested to know if the Extra Innings package (which I've subscribed to for years) will include games in High Def, i.e. the YES HD games? I've heard that it might be done as the League Pass NBA package that included some hi def games in the 90's channels. I'm hoping that I don't have to live in the NY DMA in order to view the YES games in hi def. Please advise & thank you."

Here's the reply:

'Thank you for writing. We are pleased to hear of your interest in high definition baseball. We do not have any information regarding specific games that will be broadcast in high definition. However it will be similar to the NBA package.

Thank you for your inquiry and for your continued support of DIRECTV.'

Clears it right up for me! NOT!

Forget asking DirecTV. I bet you could ask them AFTER we know, and they still wouldn't know.
post #112 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Lew_b
I am a D* subscriber due to the fact that Cablevision did not have the 1st season of YES and the Yanks. The Dolans made me get the dish ! I am perfectly happy with D* and would love to completely sever my ties to Cablevision. Problem is that the Optimum Online service is too good.

Funny you mentioned that. I have the same problem . I also changed to D* after the YES fiasco. Cablevision TV services won't get my money again
post #113 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but what is the real use of using bandwidth for individual games that only a small percentage of America can actually see??

Those games actually last 3hrs tops. D* doesn't have the capacity to add 24/7 channels. I'm sure when those channels are on (90's) some PPV channels are turned off.
post #114 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Shouldnt the title read "Yankees in HD from YES on DirecTV, Comcast, and Time Warner" due to the recent announcement from TW Albany?
post #115 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Stop rubbing it in.
post #116 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Sure would be nice to know if the EI will include HD broadcasts other than the Yankees to make it worth the 150.00. Watching baseball in SD on a 61 inch HDTV is ugly stuff
post #117 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

feel bad for cablevision subscribers but this NEWS IS GREAT for us across the river on Comcast

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #118 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 05:27 PM

MLB.com is showing tomorow nights Yankee-RedSox game as blacked out nationally. Guess fans outside of the Northeast will have to watch it on ESPN2.
post #119 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 06:13 PM

This is even "Upcoming" on my On Screen Guide, on my Non HD D* receiver, either a mistake or their way of advertising, the description reads "MLB HD"

83% of White Sox home games in HD...Yes!
post #120 of 1303 Old 04-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cudahy
MLB.com is showing tomorow nights Yankee-RedSox game as blacked out nationally. Guess fans outside of the Northeast will have to watch it on ESPN2.

No sir. The game will be available on YES in NY market, NESN in Boston market. And ESPN2 nationally. Anyone in the US that doesnt get YES or NESN will watch on ESPN2. The MLB.tv blackout is for U.S., Japan, South Korea, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page