DISH Network adding 10 VOOM HD Channels (#'s 9470-9482) May 1, 2005 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by michaelk
I'd assume the 10 voom channels were a lot cheaper then adding the 'big name' movie channels.

Everyone is always saying how Ergen is cheap- maybe that's it?
Exactly the point.

He gets nothing (or possibily $5 down the road) for the additional HD Channels that he has to pay out funds for whereas CinemaxHD et all are subscription based and pay for themselves with additional revenue coming in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
Exactly the point.

He gets nothing for the additional HD Channels that he has to pay out funds for whereas CinemaxHD et all are subscription based and pay for themselves with additional revenue coming in.
I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the rumors that the 10 additional HD channels will be added at no additional charge.
post #183 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ya and why no mention of ESPN2-HD? I really want to see NHRA drags in HD!

Still, this is all great news. I know exactly what I'm doing this weekend... putting my 61.5 dish back up!

Hammer
post #184 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CPanther95
I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the rumors that the 10 additional HD channels will be added at no additional charge.
$5 charge to add the voom channels to the current HD pack. It is optional to add the voom channels, but you must have the HD pack first. Also it's deffinetly only 10 channels being launched, so you can take back the 14
post #185 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Title edited back.
post #186 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM

Is anyone else besides me wondering what is to become of Playbot Hot HD?
To be blunt about it, that was one of the main reasons I had Voom.
It is one of their most 'valuable' channels. Late night Cinemax just doesn't cut it.
Too bad they upped the price on it though, it was perfect at 14.99 and then they got greedy and made it 19.99.
Pretty much every other "Adult" channel is pay-per-view, Playboy Hot HD was the best bargain for an adult channel, and I hope it comes back, because I refuse to use pay-per-view, not worth it.

My current entertainment setup:
Toshiba 14" TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi A/V Receiver, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox 360
post #187 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
Marcus, I'm afraid that Comcast will never see that many HD channels, even if they do get rid of analog channels. They are just not interested. Of course, in 5 years that may change, as they do add 1 channel a year, and if in a few months D* joins E* with some VOOM channels competition may be a factor.

But with so many of us wanting the 4 nationals still not on (ESPN2HD, UHD, HDNET/Movies) or a subset of them, I just can't conceive of Comcast adding so many specialty channels.

One thing I think would be nice is the news channel since we don't get HDNET and have no news in HD.

Of course, my pessimism might be wrong.

Rich N.
Do you really think if Comcast had all the bandwidth they wanted by getting rid of all the analog that they wouldn't add a lot more HD than they have? From what I've seen and read right here from members such as Ken H is that they are picky with what they add for that very reason. Not because there not interested. That wouldn't be very competitive of them and just wouldn't make since.

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #188 of 305 Old 04-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bgall
on 148 Dish is not even using TPs 22,24,26,28,30,32 So there's tons of room.
Bear in mind that some of these transponders are used for other data services, also telemetry, business teleconference service, Sky Angel etc.. The wing satellites are among the oldest in the fleet; also satellites do lose transponders over their lifetime. In addition some transponders may not have sufficient power levels for the kind of full bandwidth service that HD requires. Power budget issues also play into it, as the solar cells age they produce less watts, and battery life is not what it used to be. I've noticed in the last few years many of the 61.5 transponders are quite a bit weaker then they used to be.
post #189 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

The real question: How long until someone gets too lazy to call this add-on the "10 Voom Channels" and starts typing RM10 instead? ;)
post #190 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdamberger
Bear in mind that some of these transponders are used for other data services, also telemetry, business teleconference service, Sky Angel etc.. The wing satellites are among the oldest in the fleet; also satellites do lose transponders over their lifetime. In addition some transponders may not have sufficient power levels for the kind of full bandwidth service that HD requires. Power budget issues also play into it, as the solar cells age they produce less watts, and battery life is not what it used to be. I've noticed in the last few years many of the 61.5 transponders are quite a bit weaker then they used to be.
You are talking 61.5 not 148. There are indeed 6 unused TPs at 148. While the ages of the satellites may be an issue, it is the least problem when it comes to DBS utilizing vacant bandwidth.

Right now E* claiming 10 new HDs is more important than actually allow both sides of in the US to see them easily. The 148 and West Coast have always been behind. I am sure if the demand of the new HDs is overwhelming, they will gladly put them on 148 to lure a large number of new subs on the left coast.

With this development, it also appeared Charlie had again proved he is the frugal DBS owner. He isn't going to wait for MPEG4 probably because of the cost of replacing or upgrading the hardware. Let the other guy sweat it out and he would get things right at a later time if necessary. I have always suspected so when 942 came out without MPEG4 support.
post #191 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Where is the link to the list of channels ? What is the consensus as to any possible bit starvation issues ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #192 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tooniverse
Is anyone else besides me wondering what is to become of Playbot Hot HD?
To be blunt about it, that was one of the main reasons I had Voom.
It is one of their most 'valuable' channels. Late night Cinemax just doesn't cut it.
Too bad they upped the price on it though, it was perfect at 14.99 and then they got greedy and made it 19.99.
Pretty much every other "Adult" channel is pay-per-view, Playboy Hot HD was the best bargain for an adult channel, and I hope it comes back, because I refuse to use pay-per-view, not worth it.
I really hated the Spice Clips and Spice Hotel Shows late at night though. Sometimes it was skank city.. but for the cost it could not be beat...:D
post #193 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
Where is the link to the list of channels ?
Check the first post for the list of channels (the preliminary list anyway).
post #194 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Scott G. had reported that there will be an extra $5 charge for the V21. This is right at the price I said that I would pay for them. However, if they are not included in the "Everything" Pak + HD pack I think I will hold off on getting them.

I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Everyone says that when everything is HD the providers won't charge extra for the channels. I don't personally believe this since there are still extra charges for touch tone access on phone bills. This is going in the wrong direction. E* should just add these into the HD pack. Isn't that what it's for.
post #195 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 07:16 AM

I just called Dish Network and, after being on hold for 14 minutes, talked to a CSR. I told her I had the HD package and that I'd heard about the new HD channels. She confirmed that ten channels will be added tomorrow (May 1). She asked me how many dishes I had and I said "two, including one aimed at 61.5." She said good, that's where the channels will be coming from. She told me that "for now there will be no additional charge." I said "does that mean tomorrow they will just automatically show up on my guide list?" and she said yes.

So - for what it's worth - that's what I was told today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
post #196 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The real question: How long until someone gets too lazy to call this add-on the "10 Voom Channels" and starts typing RM10 instead? ;)
They are part of what is called "Voom HD Originals" or VHO. Switch the first two initials of the acronym and it may kindle thoughts of some other service that Dolan conceptualized.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #197 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The 148 and West Coast have always been behind. I am sure if the demand of the new HDs is overwhelming, they will gladly put them on 148 to lure a large number of new subs on the left coast.
It's not just the west coast, it's paying customers all over the US that do not have a clear East view. What makes me mad is that... This is discrimination! I'm now I'm paying for channels that I cannot receive!
post #198 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
What makes me mad is that... now I'm paying for channels that I cannot receive!
I assume you're referring to the situation where the Voom channels may not require an extra charge. That may or may not turn out to be true. But even if it's true, you were happy to pay for the HD Package. But now you're complaining that if additional channels are added to the package without charge you're being cheated since you can't receive them. Is this correct?

What about all the people who don't like or watch a particular channel in the current Dish HD package. To some extent, they're paying for a channel they don't watch and some complain it isn't fair. I rarely watch ESPN HD. Why should I pay for it? Shouldn't my HD package fee be 3/4 of what it is? Perhaps, but then you're asking for complete a la carte programming. I don't watch 90% of the channels in my basic package, but I have to pay for the whole package to get the few channels I do watch. People complain that they have to pay for the entire HBO package to get HBO HD. But that's a smart business move on HBO's part. That's the way it is. That's business. And Dish is a business and that's how they, and DirecTV, and all the rest structure their programming.
post #199 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdamberger
Here is more detail on E* satellites... http://ekb.dbstalk.com/300

As jacmyoung mentioned, Echo-3 at 61.5 has the failures / skyangel that you are talking about... Echo-1 and Echo-2 at 148 haven't had any failures.
post #200 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just called the Dish CSR and she said I must get 2 separate dishes installed.
I only need/want the HD channels/Voom channels from 61.5. Don't think I can put up an extra dish... :(
post #201 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A CSR of Dishnetwork told me that I need 61.5 dish to receive the additional HD channels. How much does an extra dish, installation, and such cost (besides the additional $5 a month charge)?
post #202 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
What about all the people who don't like or watch a particular channel in the current Dish HD package. To some extent, they're paying for a channel they don't watch and some complain it isn't fair. I rarely watch ESPN HD. Why should I pay for it?
The difference is, you are paying for 'X' number of channels. And are able to receive 'X' number of channels. If you don't watch some of them, that's your choice.

I'm paying for 'X' number of channels and am not able to receive them. I am not getting a choice.

Now, if they are going to charge extra for the new channels, then I won't be as mad, but if they turn out to be included in my HD package that I pay for every month, then it is not fair.
post #203 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

They are going to charge extra for the new channels. $5 per month for 10 all-HD channels is not a bad deal, IMHO.
post #204 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by dparker
I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Everyone says that when everything is HD the providers won't charge extra for the channels. I don't personally believe this since there are still extra charges for touch tone access on phone bills. This is going in the wrong direction. E* should just add these into the HD pack. Isn't that what it's for.
For what it's worth, none of my phone bills have that "extra charge" for touch tone, and that includes SBC and Vonage (VOIP). I think it got folded into the main part long ago. ;)
post #205 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
The difference is, you are paying for 'X' number of channels. And are able to receive 'X' number of channels. If you don't watch some of them, that's your choice.

I'm paying for 'X' number of channels and am not able to receive them. I am not getting a choice.

Now, if they are going to charge extra for the new channels, then I won't be as mad, but if they turn out to be included in my HD package that I pay for every month, then it is not fair.
I've seen you post on this same subject on other forums. You're really quite obsessed and disturbed by this.

While I see your point, I don't think there is that much of a difference. I don't want ESPN HD. I do want the other three. Sure, I can deprive myself of the three I want because I don't want to pay for ESPN, but I tend not to like to shoot myself in the foot. So I pay for the entire package but only use 3/4 of it.

I highly doubt that the Voom channels will be a free addition to the HD Pak. But if they were, look at it as a bonus that some can take advantage of and some can't. You were happy to pay for the 4 channels you get in the HD Pak. You're still getting the same channels for the same price. You haven't lost a thing. Some have gained, but you haven't. Learn to live with it. It's simply not that big of a catastrophe.

And tell me something. If Dish did have a way of discounting the HD Pak for those who can't see 61.5, how in the world would Dish know that you can't see 61.5. Don't you think everyone would call and ask for the lower price, claiming they can't see 61.5, when in reality they can? Should Dish send out an installer to verify your claim that you can't see 61.5? Just how much would that extra expense cost Dish that would be passed on to us and raise the cost of the HD Pak? Don't you see the absurdity of want you are asking for? If you feel cheated and can't adjust your attitude to accept it, then stand up for your principles and punish Dish by cancelling your HD Pak or switching to DirecTV who will charge you about the same for the HD Pak without the Voom channels. That should make you happy again.

BTW, if there is a charge, I guarantee you that some will complain that it should be a free addition to he HD Pak. I'll be happy to pay $5 extra a month to gain the channels, even though there are only about 3 of them I'm interested in watching. Maybe I can talk Dish into charging me only 3/10 of the extra fee since I'll only watch 3 of the 10 channels.
post #206 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
From the same thread:
These channels are all NOT AVAILABLE at this time.

They are not necessarilly on any satellite at this time.

They are in Engineering status and have data in the EPG Stream that will not show in your EPG at this time.

9470 RAVE ADDED TO Tp 3 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9471 EQUTR ADDED TO Tp 7 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9472 GLLRY ADDED TO Tp 1 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9474 ANIMA ADDED TO Tp 7 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9476 RUSH ADDED TO Tp 1 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9478 ULTRA ADDED TO Tp 5 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9479 GUYTV ADDED TO Tp 3 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9480 MJSTC ADDED TO Tp 1 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9481 MNSTR ADDED TO Tp 5 on EchoStar 61.5 West

9482 HDNWS ADDED TO Tp 3 on EchoStar 61.5 West

They are all listed as 8PSK transponders

So TP1 has 3, TP3 has 3, TP5 has 2 and TP7 has 2. The even greater mystery is why they only added 10 and not 12 as clearly that could have been done at this time.

Now, you tell me where 4 open TP's are on 148?
I just looked this up on Lyngsat, these transponders are owned by Cablevision, not E*, so E* must be leasing Voom's bird.

Voom has Transponders 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24

E* has 2, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32

TP 25 and 32 Sky Angel uses.
post #207 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

We'll hear the same argument when HD LIL's come out and one DMA has fewer HD channels for the same cost.
post #208 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by infamous_pb
A CSR of Dishnetwork told me that I need 61.5 dish to receive the additional HD channels. How much does an extra dish, installation, and such cost (besides the additional $5 a month charge)?
I was told by a CSR yesterday that it would cost $100 to install a 2nd dish that would face the 61.5 satellite.
post #209 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

It's great to see dish showing (substantial) interest in HD. Finally an indication that the major providers are going to start using HD as a competitive force. This is good news for all of us. :)

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #210 of 305 Old 04-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
And tell me something. If Dish did have a way of discounting the HD Pak for those who can't see 61.5, how in the world would Dish know that you can't see 61.5. Don't you think everyone would call and ask for the lower price, claiming they can't see 61.5, when in reality they can? Should Dish send out an installer to verify your claim that you can't see 61.5?
Couldn't this be verified through the stb? If not currently, surely it could be done through firmware revisions.

Comcast, E.D.L.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page