2005 NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV - Early Bird Offer: $219 plus $99 extra for HD - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1651 of 1667 Old 08-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont know if this is any differnet from what others are getting but here is the detail of the credit's I just recieved today:

- $250 Equipment Credit
- $65.94 for 6 mo.'s free HD (6 x $10.99)
- $20.00 per month for 6 months off platinum package ($120 total)
+$49.00 for Superfan package

Grand total = $386.04 credit.

Yes, I still paid $49 for Superfan, but after everything else, I still came out ahead.

Good luck everyone!

Philips 60PP9601 60" Proj.
Sony KDL46XBR4 46" LCD
Norcent LT-3222 32" LCD
Norcent LT-2090 20" LCD (2)
Direct TV HR20-100 (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1667 Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavarua88
so you're suggesting just signing up for ST w/o HD since the equipment might be obsolete?
I wouldn't go that far. Depends on how much you trust D*. I have always been nice to them on the phone and it has always paid off in equipment and program credits. Also, D* has stated, not clearly defined yet, that they will basically make it painless to upgrade to the new server client scheme when the new birds launch.

Based on my experience, If I was in your shoes, I would buy with HD.

Philips 60PP9601 60" Proj.
Sony KDL46XBR4 46" LCD
Norcent LT-3222 32" LCD
Norcent LT-2090 20" LCD (2)
Direct TV HR20-100 (5)
post #1653 of 1667 Old 08-10-2005, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsBri
I wouldn't go that far. Depends on how much you trust D*. I have always been nice to them on the phone and it has always paid off in equipment and program credits. Also, D* has stated, not clearly defined yet, that they will basically make it painless to upgrade to the new server client scheme when the new birds launch.

Based on my experience, If I was in your shoes, I would buy with HD.
thanks for the input. i'm pretty set on getting a HD receiver. the only thing now is that i have to obtain liability insurance since i rent an apt. does anyone have experience with that and if so could they point me in the right direction?
post #1654 of 1667 Old 08-22-2005, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just read about this today. I have already been charged for NFLST for the past two months (installments for automatic renewal), so I was concerned about whether I could cancel now.

I wanted to cancel because the ONLY reason I started subscribing to NFLST last season was the HD. I refuse to watch standard-def football anymore.

$320 is outrageous, so I made the call to DirecTV. To my surprise, they had a special, streamlined interactive phone menu for cancelling NFLST. Took about three button-presses, then the pre-recorded voice informed me that I would be credited within 48 hours.

DirecTV must be reeling over this situation. They have to be looking at a significant monetary loss.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #1655 of 1667 Old 08-22-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK
To my surprise, they had a special, streamlined interactive phone menu for cancelling NFLST.
I guess that they've given up on trying to save ST customers via credits. Either that, or rather than having regular CSR's handle the calls, they now have a special group for this who is calling people back in attempt to save the subscription.
post #1656 of 1667 Old 08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
gvc
Advanced Member

Well, I'm one the fools that is thinking of signing up for the ST package. I'm currently a cable customer and have no plans to switch. I just want D* for the ST package. I know I am required to commit for regular D* total choice programming, but I am getting conflicting information on whether or not I must also sign up for and commit to their HD package (10.99/month). Since I am keeping my cable HD programming, most of what D* has will be a complete duplication for me just like the other channels. Mabey the D* HD package will be worth it someday after they expand their lineup, but I have no need for it today. The kind people at D* say I have to commit to the HD package also, but I don't think thats in the actual sign-up contract...I'll have to make sure I bring my reading glasses to the store !!
post #1657 of 1667 Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

This is probably old news but I just noticed today that the red zone alert channel only applies to the games on Fox. Just another added bonus to the great "superfan" package.
post #1658 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 10:36 AM

OK I am lazy and can't read 55 pages of posts of people complaining, so......

If you pay for ST and Superfan package, are your local games still subject to blackout on the HD feeds ( the NFL HD cahnnels in the 90's?)? I mean you are paying extra for the HD feeds so you should get them right? I called direct TV and they said I could find that out from another department after I setup an install!

I live in Duluth, MN and I can't even get Fox HD with a Set top box. I am seriously considering dumping Charter and putting a buttload of bucks into Direct TV (HD-DVR, sunday ticket, superfan), however, not if I pay all that and can't get The Vikes in HD.
(side note- Vikings only play one game on ESPN-HD and one on CBS this year. The rest of them are on Fox.)
Thanks for any and all responses.
post #1659 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronaMinn
If you pay for ST and Superfan package, are your local games still subject to blackout on the HD feeds ( the NFL HD cahnnels in the 90's?)?
A BLACKOUT means the game did not sell out in time and is not being broadcast in the local market at all (HD, SD, nothing).

If you are in a blackout area then you don't get the game - for a non-sold out game. This should be true no matter what - OTA, ST, HD, etc.

Now, if the game is ON a local station that you can't get with an HD OTA antenna then "in theory" you could see if the local station would sign an HD waiver for you. In this case, then you should be allowed to watch the game on the ST HD feed - if the game is one that is selected to be in HD that week.

Do you know anyone in your area that is getting your Fox station in HD OTA? If so, then the HD Tivo or HD D* box can also pick up OTA HD and you just need an antenna. For new customers buying HD equipment this can be free of charge (along with the install) or maybe the first $xxx of the antenna set up would be free.

I was able to get my locals in HD OTA with a very minimal investment in antenna, amp, pole, and cable.

Dennis
post #1660 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK I am lazy and can't read 55 pages of posts of people complaining, so......

If you pay for ST and Superfan package, are your local games still subject to blackout on the HD feeds ( the NFL HD cahnnels in the 90's?)? I mean you are paying extra for the HD feeds so you should get them right? I called direct TV and they said I could find that out from another department after I setup an install!

I live in Duluth, MN and I can't even get Fox HD with a Set top box. I am seriously considering dumping Charter and putting a buttload of bucks into Direct TV (HD-DVR, sunday ticket, superfan), however, not if I pay all that and can't get The Vikes in HD.
(side note- Vikings only play one game on ESPN-HD and one on CBS this year. The rest of them are on Fox.)
Thanks for any and all responses.
If it is like it was last year if the game is on your local affilliate both the SD and HD version of the game will be blacked out for "Sunday Ticket". They force you to watch the game on whatever feed your local channel is putting out.
post #1661 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks guys, just off the phone with Direct TV CSR, she claimed (which I don't believe) that if I get my locals through Direct TV they will be in HD. Allegedly, you can get Fox HD OTA, however, that is the one channel I could not get with a STB. I also heard that Fox in my area was not even in HD.
I have a friend with direct TV with ST acroos the bridge (Superior, WI). he does not have HD but his ST Vikings game were blacked out and we were forced to watch it via an antenna (crappy).
update- spoke with local Fox station and asked for a waiver since he informed me that station is upgrading and won't be HD until spring. Said he would get back to me, not holding my breath.
Thanks again!
post #1662 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, just off the phone with Direct TV CSR, she claimed (which I don't believe) that if I get my locals through Direct TV they will be in HD.
She's wrong. Right now, the only network HD available on D* comes from NYC & LA. If you live in an area serviced by an affiliate that is owned by the network, you should be able to get the HD version of either the NYC or LA feed.

Regarding the Sunday Ticket "blackouts", if a game is available on your local CBS or Fox station, whether that station broadcasts in HD or not, D* is not allowed to let you see either the SD or HD version of that game via satellite.

The best way to think of Sunday Ticket is that it provides you with "out of market" games. If your local station is showing the game, by definition, it is not "out of market".
post #1663 of 1667 Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you pay for ST and Superfan package, are your local games still subject to blackout on the HD feeds ( the NFL HD cahnnels in the 90's?)?
If your local affiliate is carrying the game, NFLST SD & HD will be blacked out.
post #1664 of 1667 Old 09-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Wow, I just noticed this on DirecTV website (not real clear, but I noticed the superfan said something about 100 hd channels and the regular nfl tikcet did not) so I had to check the board here. I guess I need to pay more attention to these boards...I made my call to DirecTV and after getting the confirmation regarding HD and the lack of HD on the regular NFL Ticket (rep said some games would be shown in HD, but not all that would be shown with superfan) I voiced my disappointment. She responded with "considering you already made one of the automatic payments for the ticket and just purchased my 2nd hdtivo she'd waived the additional fee, but couldn't say what will happen next year."

The real dissappointing part about DirecTV's actions is that you have to call, plead and in most cases call again ($199 hdtivo for example) to get things taken care of. For the most part. I don't and most people don't have time for this cr@p. Also, they just aren't clear on what's going on...why would I expect my NFL ticket package to be any different from last years? Luckily, I saw this before the start of the season...
post #1665 of 1667 Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, unfortunately there is going to be ALOT of surprised ST subscribers next week that had HD last year and find out they do NOT have it this year UNTIL they add Superfan....don't try to call D*TV next Sunday!!!!!!
post #1666 of 1667 Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Actually, I believe they are giving a free preview of the Superfan features the first week, so the phone calls won't likely take place until week 2.
post #1667 of 1667 Old 09-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Great !!!

I get HD NFL on Time Warner with a HDTV recorder and I can watch the games over and over in HD as many times as I want.

It's great, and the cost - about 10.00 per month fro the HD package and the HD recorder together.

Thanks DTV I would have never know how good cable is these days till you forced me to look at your compitition. Thanks again!!!

Anyone want 3 DTV boxes and a new dish???

DavidWoodTravel@cs.com
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page