Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 1694 Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 81
PQ aside, I thought tonight's episode was one of the best one's this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1694 Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

PQ aside, I thought tonight's episode was one of the best one's this season.

I have a rule. I don't watch anything save for my local news in SD. My favorites list is set as such. I have now included NCIS as part of my rule. I'll find something else to watch.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #723 of 1694 Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, whatever's infecting their production with fuzziness has also screwed up NCIS: LA now, too...maybe not quite as bad though. Skipped both new NCIS Tuesday episodes because reasonably crisp HD is a factor in sitting through these souped-up soap operas here. While production budgets might be tight these days, with mostly digital camera use, it's stupid to air programs that border on upconverted SD in appearance. Lots of all-digital productions, going back years, look fine--both TV and major-feature dramas. CBS needs a new quality control executive who stops accepting this drivel. -- John
post #724 of 1694 Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
It was pretty bad, my first thought was that it was intentionally softened as a requirement for Gena Rowlands as she's no spring chicken anymore.
post #725 of 1694 Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I thought the focus had gone south on my FPTV, had to go into the livingroom and check the 40" Sony... NCIS PQ used to be very crisp like all the other CBS Shows... Good episode after I got over the PQ...
post #726 of 1694 Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you remember the NCIS-LA 'pilot' last year on NCIS, that last few minutes of the second episode had Gibbs and Nate in the elevator. The end where the security camera was on Gibbs, the view of Gibbs was absolutely horrible. I mean Gibbs looked 65-70 years old (age spots on face, thin skin). He looked like my grandfather when he was in his 70's. As I remember, that episode was in HD.

I would bet that ever since then, the camera's were set to soft to compensate.
post #727 of 1694 Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netconcepts View Post

If you remember the NCIS-LA 'pilot' last year on NCIS, that last few minutes of the second episode had Gibbs and Nate in the elevator. The end where the security camera was on Gibbs, the view of Gibbs was absolutely horrible. I mean Gibbs looked 65-70 years old (age spots on face, thin skin). He looked like my grandfather when he was in his 70's. As I remember, that episode was in HD.

I would bet that ever since then, the camera's were set to soft to compensate.

My suspicion is that they've switched to "super 16mm" from 35mm. Even so, the pictures are soft. Several years ago, they were all over saturated, and everyone had a constant sunburn. They could be shooting in digital; however, with all the outdoor scenes, I doubt that.
post #728 of 1694 Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguru View Post

My suspicion is that they've switched to "super 16mm" from 35mm. Even so, the pictures are soft. Several years ago, they were all over saturated, and everyone had a constant sunburn. They could be shooting in digital; however, with all the outdoor scenes, I doubt that.

I don't know if they switched to Super16 or not, but there have been other shows (ie. Veronica Mars) shot on S16, and they looked better than this.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #729 of 1694 Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
^^^Recall "The West Wing," reportedly shot in 16mm for a while at least [35mm listed at IMDB ], looked much better than recent NCIS episodes. Some W.W. episodes seemed to have more noise. But S16mm data-scanned or telecined for HD from TV-production film negatives can look exceptionally good, too, as the BBC and A&E showed in this print-vs-negative comparison of their '95 "Pride and Prejudice," released on Blu-ray last year.

Recall similar comments about sacrificing PQ to mask the effects of aging skin when CSI: Miami got the fuzz treatment recently, too. Could be here, too. But it's a little mind boggling they'd screw up PQ this much--unless the actors own most of show rights.

Posted elsewhere recently, as sublinks, some comparison images between early Red One images, which appear flat and soft like recent NCIS shots, and how newer processing software perks the same shot up considerably. But not sure if NCIS is using the Panavision Genesis digital camera like NCIS:LA was--with crisp, excellent pictures just a few weeks back--or they're just slapping horrendous lens filtering over film. -- John

EDIT: Notice the folks in the U.K. are seeing SD-like NCIS PQ lately, too.
post #730 of 1694 Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WOW it looks terrible again.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #731 of 1694 Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Cool, A.D.A. Casey Novak from SVU was on tonight's episode.
post #732 of 1694 Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post

Rigsby (male) and Van Pelt (female) are California Bureau of Investigation (CBI) agents who are having a "relationship" but it is never seen on the show! There are odd looks between the pair but that is all the audience sees.

After ignoring Ziva/Tony for a few weeks, they go back to the innuendo at the end of this week.

Anyway, for another on-screen couple that was never an on-screen couple, there's ADA Jack McCoy and Assist. ADA Claire Kinkaid in Law & Order. They had a few hints at a relationship during the show, but didn't reveal the relationship in full until Claire died.
post #733 of 1694 Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
In the future, when filming an "east coast" beach shot from LA, you might want to consider "flipping" the image so that the sun angle comes from the south/equator and not the north pole.

Just one of those things that drives one up the wall.
post #734 of 1694 Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

In the future, when filming an "east coast" beach shot from LA, you might want to consider "flipping" the image so that the sun angle comes from the south/equator and not the north pole.

Just one of those things that drives one up the wall.

Not worth the trouble, VERY few places on the east coast have waves anywhere near the size of those, I too noticed the shadows, but the waves are a more obvious giveaway, to me anyways, as I like to try and surf. ....I thought everyone knew most of the show was shot in LA.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #735 of 1694 Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

Not worth the trouble, VERY few places on the east coast have waves anywhere near the size of those, I too noticed the shadows, but the waves are a more obvious giveaway, to me anyways, as I like to try and surf. ....I thought everyone knew most of the show was shot in LA.

LOL ... well then, I suppose palm trees in NYC are okie, doaky too.

Yes, we know it's shot in LA ... but they could at least make a modest effort in the era of digital intermediates and editing equipment.

I can wait to see what happens to the "KY" locations in "Justified."
post #736 of 1694 Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

LOL ... well then, I suppose palm trees in NYC are okie, doaky too.

Yes, we know it's shot in LA ... but they could at least make a modest effort in the era of digital intermediates and editing equipment.

I can wait to see what happens to the "KY" locations in "Justified."

It is funny the things that some folks notice right away, while others would never see it.

post #737 of 1694 Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

It is funny the things that some folks notice right away, while others would never see it.

As much as I enjoyed the movie "Men of Honor", the mountains surrounding "Bayonne" drove me crazy.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #738 of 1694 Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

As much as I enjoyed the movie "Men of Honor", the mountains surrounding "Bayonne" drove me crazy.

In the 1952 movie The Big Sky the boatmen spent most of the film traveling down a two-three mile stretch of the Snake river around Oxbow Bend. The story indicated they were making good headway leaving me to assume Howard Hawks didn't want to lose the Grand Tetons panorama in the background.
post #739 of 1694 Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I really liking the recent multi-part story line. For me, it's some of the best NCIS I've watched, except (maybe) the end of last season. Is the current story working up to another cliff-hanger season finale?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #740 of 1694 Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Based on the history of the show...yes
post #741 of 1694 Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Gibbs is going to Mexico for the season finale. Guess an old friend on the show will show up. They always make the season finales interesting.
post #742 of 1694 Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Gibbs is going to Mexico for the season finale. Guess an old friend on the show will show up. They always make the season finales interesting.

He's in Mexico as of the end of last week's episode.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #743 of 1694 Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm 2 weeks behind on the DVR trying frantically to catch up for tonight.
post #744 of 1694 Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Oh, ok. So you're just getting to the good stuff.

larry

post #745 of 1694 Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah had to dig through some really sluggish mid season stand alones. Why do they always seem to bring another team in to work with them that has the exact same personalities as Gibbs team? That running gag gets old about the 4th or 5th time they do it. I'm thinking especially of the episode where they had people from CGIS working with them and the female lead was the female version of Gibbs. They've done that gag several times before.

Last night I finished up with the episode where the polygraph agent that works for them is working on the side for another private company. They try to give Gibbs a polygraph and he gets up all mad.

But they never explained why they were giving him one. All they said was he had never taken one since joining NCIS.
post #746 of 1694 Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 AM

Another great season cliff hanger IMO. I know it shouldn't surprise me but I fall for the Gibb's,Leon altercations every time Looked like Gibbs was gone and then him and Leon working the guy in the park as a team.O well keep it coming,looking forward to next season already.

JERRY
post #747 of 1694 Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think we should start a pool on how many seconds into next season's first episode the evil sister survives. Gibbs' dad has been warned after all and he had to defend the women in the store against the robbery/rape attempt before the holidays last winter. I don't think her (evil drug runner sister) odds of being a long term threat are very good.

TerryB
post #748 of 1694 Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post

I think we should start a pool on how many seconds into next season's first episode the evil sister survives. Gibbs' dad has been warned after all and he had to defend the women in the store against the robbery/rape attempt before the holidays last winter. I don't think her (evil drug runner sister) odds of being a long term threat are very good.

TerryB

I didn't catch that Gibbs's dad was made aware of the situation. I thought Gibbs just left him a message to go stay with someone else? Dad seemed completely surprised when she walked in his store.
post #749 of 1694 Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post

TerryB

Agreed. Gibbs won't let her kill Dad. Either Dad kills her, a sniper shot through the window kills her, or an agent (agents?) hiding in the store kills her. Her life expectancy is around 5 s after "last time, on NCIS." Not that I know anything, just a prediction that she signed her death warrant when she entered the store.
post #750 of 1694 Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Great show....enjoyed the season finale..

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page