Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1680 Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

My take, was that he has finally cut ties with the ex. He mentioned earlier that he would no longer have to pay alimony. She is no longer his bride, but someone else's. Reason to celebrate.....

I saw this after I replied. This make more sense than my guess. Just like a father who gives away his daughter in marriage (she's no longer his "responsibility") so is the case of the ex and having to pay alimony.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1680 Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5810 View Post

I saw this after I replied. This make more sense than my guess. Just like a father who gives away his daughter in marriage (she's no longer his "responsibility") so is the case of the ex and having to pay alimony.

That's the way I took the comment as well, also as she used to be Gibbs', then his, now she's with someone else.
post #873 of 1680 Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just feel at this point of the show that Gibbs should be the director, and Dinozzo should be the team leader.
post #874 of 1680 Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nah making Gibbs the director would take out the major tension point that has been in the series for most of it, which is Gibbs butting heads against the "establishment" and rules of the organization. He'd never fit in that role. They had an episode where he did fill in as director for Vance some time back and basically they revealed in the episode that none of the paper work of the director was getting done etc. Gibbs was just not an administrator.

I did like that they put in a scene in Gibbs basement. That used to be a real staple of the show and they seemed to have gone away from it completely this year.
post #875 of 1680 Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^ Yes. Gibbs is not an administrator. I don't recall how long he was in the military, but he was a "Gunny", a non-com. He may not have wanted to get his bars. Or he was never considered for a commission because of some things he did as a non-com - like the things he does now.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #876 of 1680 Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had to give up on NCIS after Kate was killed off. I couldn't take her replacement constantly with the "Geeeebs", Abbey is tough enough to take with her weirdness. My major point though is now, do they film the show through a cloth??? It looks like a 50's show it's so fuzzy. I have KCBS HD in LA available on OTA, Direc, and Cox, and they all look bad, comparing them head to head. I do like Dinozzo, Ducky and Gibbs so I ck. in occasionally but the PQ is atrocious.
post #877 of 1680 Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah, this show has a hazy look to it, it must be for a style effect, all the shots look alittle soft or slightly out of focus.... wonder what their reason is for it? NCIS LA doesn't do it.......

Angelo
post #878 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

I thought Kate was boring, so I skip the 1st season episodes when they are on.
post #879 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 AM

Liked: 16
I liked Kate when she was on,and thought whoever replaces her it won't be the same

Guess what I like Ziva a whole lot betterGibb's need to stay team leader like he is now, IMHO

JERRY
post #880 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo M View Post
Yeah, this show has a hazy look to it, it must be for a style effect, all the shots look alittle soft or slightly out of focus.... wonder what their reason is for it? NCIS LA doesn't do it.......
The look of the show is intentional.

When they made the switch to HD cameras, they made sure they could still have the show look the same as it did in the early seasons.

Not everything needs to be window-close sharp... In fact, I find it sometimes distracting for some genre shows if it feels like I am in the same room.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #881 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

When they made the switch to HD cameras, they made sure they could still have the show look the same as it did in the early seasons.

Not everything needs to be window-close sharp... In fact, I find it sometimes distracting for some genre shows if it feels like I am in the same room.
Well, That's great for you, not what most of the rest of us expect out of HD however.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #882 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper810 View Post

I liked Kate when she was on,and thought whoever replaces her it won't be the same

Guess what I like Ziva a whole lot betterGibb's need to stay team leader like he is now, IMHO

For me another plus was Ziva had an interesting back-story which was woven into a number of plot arcs.
post #883 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Ziva gave them more opportunities for story arcs. Was sad to see them kill of Kate but in the long term of the show it worked out for the best.
post #884 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I think they've done a pretty good job of maintaining a film look. For me, the LA version is very hard to look at, gamut and latitude very 'video-y', blown highlights. Maybe it's all the gun muzzle flashes, I saw much the same in the film "Public Enemies", really snaps you out of suspension of time & place.
post #885 of 1680 Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Seeing Gibbs face all shiny and wrinkly in crystal clear HD would be freaky.
post #886 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 AM

^^^ That could be a reason, also. Ducky is no spring chicken, too.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #887 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Yeah Ziva gave them more opportunities for story arcs. Was sad to see them kill of Kate but in the long term of the show it worked out for the best.

Very well put

JERRY
post #888 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Well, That's great for you, not what most of the rest of us expect out of HD however.
With due respect and not to start a fight... but maybe your expectations are wrong?

There are many ways to film or shoot a TV show or movie... and various levels of possible "quality" in resolution result.

Then you factor in the showrunner's intended "look" and "feel"...

Blair Witch is a good example... not of a good movie necessarily, but of an intended look... It was supposed to look like a handheld camera, so that is what they used. The Blu-ray release of that movie wasn't substantially better than the DVD release had been... but that's by design really.

I watched the behind-the-scenes on the NCIS DVDs... and they discussed the desire to keep the look of the show the same when they considered the move to HD cameras.

The real "gain" for a show like NCIS to move to HD... is that they save money on film, and get to use tape in the HD cameras... so after the HD cameras pay for themselves over a few seasons, the show becomes cheaper to produce than if they had stuck to film... but they didn't want to change the look of their show.

Similarly, lots of people hate black & white... but some still shoot in black & white for effect and mood every once in a while.

There will always be shows that will not take advantage of the highest resolution, purposefully, to set a mood... so I instead focus on whether I like the show or not.... and accept that the presentation of the show is part of the show itself.

post #889 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Ziva is fine... but I also liked Kate... and since we only had her for 2 seasons... I'm not sure we can say whether or not Kate had unexplored backstory.

I would have liked to see where the story might have gone with her... as it was her choice to leave, and not the producers... I'm sure there were other plans for her character development.

post #890 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I like the look of the show, and the look of Ziva.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #891 of 1680 Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
By my recollection NCIS has been broadcast in HD from the beginning
The "fuzzy" look has started gradually, film noir is one thing, to me it looks like it is filmed through a cloth, and I don't care for it. I simply liked Kate much better, especially her interaction with Tony D. Ziva, to me, is very annoying. It is still a much better show than the abomination that is NCIS LA....
post #892 of 1680 Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

By my recollection NCIS has been broadcast in HD from the beginning
The "fuzzy" look has started gradually, film noir is one thing, to me it looks like it is filmed through a cloth, and I don't care for it.

I believe it has been broadcast in HD from the start... but originally they were shooting on film. I forget what season they switched to using the HD cameras.

At that point they wanted to keep the look as close as possible to what they were doing with film.

post #893 of 1680 Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
RJO

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am one who does not like the fuzzy look. It bothers me and I would prefer to have a sharper look. I also find it strange that Abbey's lab has windows right next to a sidewalk that has many people walking by. For a place with secure and sensitive evidence these windows do not seem to be very secure. Someone could easily spy on what is happening in there.
post #894 of 1680 Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post

I am one who does not like the fuzzy look. It bothers me and I would prefer to have a sharper look. I also find it strange that Abbey's lab has windows right next to a sidewalk that has many people walking by. For a place with secure and sensitive evidence these windows do not seem to be very secure. Someone could easily spy on what is happening in there.

I was ok with the windows until in some episodes they showed people walking by them (you could see their feet and lower legs). Dumb dumb dumb
post #895 of 1680 Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Why do I care that Paulette is tweeting now?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #896 of 1680 Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Agreed....I'm not sure that's the shows target...big time tweeters. I know I could care less about it.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #897 of 1680 Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't either... but arguably since you were logged on and posting on a Web forum while watching the show... you are slightly closer to the target audience for that popup than I was

post #898 of 1680 Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How does a bartender make a drink with an eyeball in it? And was it Tony's girlfriend's eyeball? it was blue.
post #899 of 1680 Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

How does a bartender make a drink with an eyeball in it? And was it Tony's girlfriend's eyeball? it was blue.

I thought the same thing. Defies logic. Also after seeing the eyeball and then the closing front door there was no attempt to pursue the buyer of the drink.
post #900 of 1680 Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 AM

I hate continued episodes! Some excellent character interactions. My only nit is the somewhat contrived part for CI-RAY. But it is just TV.

larry

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page