'NCIS' on CBS HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm strange, but I liked the ending last season. I hate losing Kate, but I think they can maintain the team dynamic if they don't just replace her with a Kate-clone. With any luck if the Mossad agent stays she'll be the one making Tony uncomfortable instead of vice-versa and maybe she can bring probie out of his shell. Of course, with the setup we have so far I'm not sure she's living past episode 3 anyway so we may have yet another character coming in.

-MM

P.S. I messed up and put my recording on the SD version of CBS instead of the HD version. Anyone who might have a digital dub of the HD version they'd be willing to burn me a copy of please PM me. I need to get a good HD cap of the "Abby-bat" drawing at least, the original episode had really bad angles on it, but this one had some good shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

NCIS Shocker?

I thought it might mean that this show really wasn't in HDTV. Aren't there enough fan-sites to discuss this stuff on, or do we really need to devote an entire thread to non-HDTV-related plots and fantasies? Sorry to be a party pooper, but some of use this forum to catch up on HDTV information, not as a place for us geeks to hang out and chat.
post #93 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

NCIS Shocker?

I thought it might mean that this show really wasn't in HDTV. Aren't there enough fan-sites to discuss this stuff on, or do we really need to devote an entire thread to non-HDTV-related plots and fantasies? Sorry to be a party pooper, but some of use this forum to catch up on HDTV information, not as a place for us geeks to hang out and chat.

Yeah and the Lost and Deadwood threads were all about PQ.
post #94 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDURFTV View Post

Yeah and the Lost and Deadwood threads were all about PQ.

And your point is...?
post #95 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 AM

Quote:

NCIS Shocker?

Might as well have two of us for the rest to flame. I'm in complete agreement with you. This, and many other forums, have changed. Actual HD information is becoming harder and harder to ferret out of a thread as more and more threads become consumed with every imaginable kind of non HD related information. This becomes especially annoying when I get server busy responses and have to wait minutes to open a thread, knowing that a large number of participants are posting pictures of some actress or sitting at their computer posting play by play events during an HD football game. Some discussions, such as logos and status bars are very worthwhile as they relate to the HD picture itself. But is it really necessary for someone to post the score of a game every time it changes? What does that have to do with HD programming or the quality of the picture? It's purely a social thing, and there is just becoming too much of that kind of discussion on this and other forums. I actually sit back and watch the football game. If I see a problem, I'll check the board to see if it's a network issue. But I can no longer do that given how many posts describing some quarterback's last throw I have to wade through.

Frankly, I wish the board could be back to the way it was years ago when you and I first joined. But I don't think that will ever happen. The kind of participants have changed as HD equipment prices have come down and HD becomes more widespread. I wish more participants would exercise self discipline and post appropriately about real HD issues instead of some actress' breast size or how they don't like to look at elderly people's faces in HD.

There used to be a chit chat forum for the soap opera stuff and social discussions. I wish it would come back. But I know it would fail again because participants wouldn't have the self discipline to use it and it would require the moderators to spend 24 hours a day moving posts to that section.

OK. I'd like to see some reasonable and intelligent responses to this, but I'm sure that major flames will be thrown instead.
post #96 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post

I wish more participants would exercise self discipline and post appropriately about real HD issues instead of some actress' breast size or how they don't like to look at elderly people's faces in HD.

Wait a minute, I like breasts.

Thanks for the support. I don't expect (or really want) the OT comments to end completely. I've learned what threads to read and which ones to avoid, but I had to check this one out, and sure enough, not one HD-related post in multiple pages.

I don't think there will be too many flames here. There are too many other "program chat" threads for most people to notice this one.
post #97 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Thursday, September 21, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

On CBS, season three of underrated NCIS debuted with a first-place finish in the overnights (10.4/16), total viewers (14.69 million), and adults 18-49 (3.5/10).
post #98 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I thought the way Kate was depicted was actually rather clever. When someone passes, it is odd the thoughts that run through your head, and the way your brain helps your emotions sort through the grief process.

I couldn't help notice, though, that Cote bears a slight ressemblance to Kate and that Tony was already starting the banter with her. Now THAT I didn't like.

I didnt like that either. Frankly Gibs should have that mossad agent in a room alone with a gun to her head forcing her to give up the assasin. Im afraid he may have sent Tony to his death by ordering him to follow her. Ari expects it.
post #99 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

NCIS Shocker?

Both you and Jerry G make some good points and I enjoy reading both of your postings elsewhere, but this thread dates from last season and the very first post clearly outlines what the thread is about so it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise that it focused on the content of the show rather than the technical merit.
post #100 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Actually, there used to be a thread that dealt mostly with the red push issue in the picture quality on NCIS. However, the producers seem to have fixed that after the first season and I haven't noticed one comment about faces being "too red" in quite a while.

I suspect that for some, the novelty of HD is wearing off since so many programs are being broadcast in that format. I guess then it isn't surprising that the discussion has drifted more to content rather than PQ.

For me, it is still amazing that it hasn't been that many years since The Tonight Show and Crossing Jordan were it in terms of choices. This is moving a heck of a lot faster than the transition from b&w to color. Of course, "back then" the choices were Bonanza and Hazel.
post #101 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 02:40 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowchip View Post

Was it just me, or did the PQ go down the toilet with the season opener tonight? Getting CBS OTA from WCCO in MPLS...no multicasting either. Thought it was terrible. CSI-Miami wasn't that great either last night and I read that I wasn't the only one in a thread further down.

CBS, what are you doing!?!?!

Just to make hphase and Jerry happy , I watched the beginning of the EP last night and it looked very murky and soft to me as well. Since I don't follow the show I checked out after about 10 minutes so it may have gotten better. I was thinking they may have purposely done it to create a "gloomy" atmosphere due to the grieving team members. The moody fuzziness didn't work on me though. I just thought it looked like someone forgot to order the HD transfer on time so they went with a bad upconvert instead .

ron
post #102 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

I suspect that for some, the novelty of HD is wearing off since so many programs are being broadcast in that format. I guess then it isn't surprising that the discussion has drifted more to content rather than PQ.

Exactly ... unless something is really good or just awful in the PQ department, I no longer feel the need to dissect the technical merits of a program. Plus since so much of the technical merits depend on what one's "friendly" local broadcaster is doing to the data, (or the state of one's display calibration for that matter) many of these discussions are less than enlightening.
post #103 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM

PQ in Alexandria was very Good. I also enjoyed the show. Not sure the new boss thing was a good Idea. The old boss didn't show his face much, but that is going to change. I hope it doesn't take away from the main team.
post #104 of 1674 Old 09-21-2005, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowchip View Post

Was it just me, or did the PQ go down the toilet with the season opener tonight? Getting CBS OTA from WCCO in MPLS...no multicasting either. Thought it was terrible. CSI-Miami wasn't that great either last night and I read that I wasn't the only one in a thread further down.

CBS, what are you doing!?!?!

I also thought the PQ on the season opener of NCIS was just absolutely terrible. But what I really want to know is who took caps of Sascha Alexander in that S&M outfit?
post #105 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post

This becomes especially annoying when I get server busy responses and have to wait minutes to open a thread, knowing that a large number of participants are posting pictures of some actress or sitting at their computer posting play by play events during an HD football game.

I always assumed that was typically due to search engines going through the site, or perhaps traffic on another site served by the same server. I get those slowdowns at times where traffic here from members wouldn't be very high at all.

I wonder how many of the 7,800+ posts in the Lost thread are about PQ issues?
post #106 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Well they've really screwed up NCIS now. Looks like the writers of this show have been watching "Six Feet Under" but really don't know how to make a dead character work. They miss the whole point. So Gibbs ex-wife is now his boss?? Just what we need. Personal lives and problems detracting from the plot of what was a really neat thriller/mystery/spy kind of drama. Good luck Mark Harmon in your next endeavor. You really had a good show here for a while. Even got away from the red color shift during the second year. Oh well......

Former VOOMER.....now former DISH-er
post #107 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
NCIS is my wife's favorite show. She get's to decide and gave it a thumbs up. Says screw the critics, They are just a bunch of morons who can't make a real living doing, so they just know how to criticize other's accomplishments.

I also like the new show- E-Ring. The critics also hated it. I think we need to get a few critics who aren't gay and maybe the industry will get some balance. Meanwhile, I thought it was as good as or better than Jake 2.0 and The Agency which were of similar genre. I suppose JAG is dead. I guess this forum moderator hates e-ring as well because he closed the last thread about it. That sucks!
post #108 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

To read a wide variety of critics, just check the Hot Off The Press thread, Don. (There are even a couple of positive "E-Ring" reviews.)

By the way, having known a large number of TV critics over the years, I would guess the percentage of gay TV critics is no higher than the population at large.
post #109 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here is one I posted yesterday, Don (so you are not alone in enjoying "E-Ring")

TV SEASON PREVIEWS: WEDNESDAY
"E" is for entertaining

By Kay McFadden Seattle Times

He shoots, he scores. Jerry Bruckheimer is the most successful producer in television today, and NBC's "E-Ring," debuting at 9 tonight, is a good example of why.

I confess "E-Ring" is not my kind of program. It's an adventure tale set at the Pentagon and representing the military/covert-operative/CIA school of yarn-spinning. It also has the misfortune to air opposite "Lost."

But "E-Ring" is pretty superb as far as genre series go. If you want your throbbing fix of cinematically scaled, irreproachably timed action and a couple of ruggedly handsome leading men, this is the ticket.

"E-Ring" has the patented Bruckheimer rush: exotic locales, quick cuts, a pounding score and mano-a-mano conflict. It's also a technically interesting delve into the mysterious world of high-level decision-making the "E" stands for the outer ring where Pentagon calls are finalized.

Benjamin Bratt plays an Army major now assigned to special operations at the Pentagon after a 14-month assignment in Iraq. There, he meets his new officer, a crusty colonel portrayed by Dennis Hopper.

"E-Ring" basically works like this: Each week, a plot is afoot that involves some dicey operation requiring Bratt's moral persuasion. Tonight, it's rescuing a Chinese undercover agent; next week, it's the pursuit of a long-sought terrorist leader in Uzbekistan.

The sets and photography are terrific. To be sure, some dialogue is hard to swallow, as in: "It's not a matter of could we. We are America; we could do anything we want. It's should we."

Nevertheless, fans of the canceled "JAG" and "24"-style thrills should find plenty to enjoy here. NBC will be happy to take the demographic of old-school viewers who otherwise are neglected on Wednesday nights.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi...&date=20050921
post #110 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I think we need to get a few critics who aren't gay and maybe the industry will get some balance.

I'm not even sure what this means. Does the TV industry care about what critics say? I always thought TV shows survived on ratings. Lots of critically acclaimed shows have failed to get ratings and have been cancelled. Of all the things people do for a living, TV critic has to be the least important thing in the world. If the profession disappeared tomorrow and I don't think anything would be affected.

Or is this statement some sort of an opinion that there are too many TV shows with gay characters? I have no idea, but I can't imagine gay men get together to watch Will and Grace (but then I can't imagine why anyone watches Will and Grace).
post #111 of 1674 Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, the industry does care, deeply, about what the TV critics have to say.

It spends millions to amuse (and, of course, inform) them during two annual press tours in Los Angeles, and keeps them well supplied with DVDs and other TV goodies.

TV critics might not be all that influential in making a show a hit, but network executives believe they can at least get a show a decent sampling. After that it is up to the competition and what the viewer thought of the program
post #112 of 1674 Old 09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

NCIS Shocker?

I've edited this to make it less of a flame.

What information were you hoping to glean from this particular thread? If you have a question about PQ by all means ask it, but why flame people for wanting to discuss the show?

CONTENT will always be king, PQ is a bonus. LOST looks great in HD (best example of HD out there), but if the show sucked what good would it be?

For what it's worth, they do seem to have lost that nasty RED look, but the overall quality does seem to have suffered.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #113 of 1674 Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, there used to be a thread that dealt mostly with the red push issue in the picture quality on NCIS.

You mean there used to be a new thread every 2 weeks on that issue
post #114 of 1674 Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

You mean there used to be a new thread every 2 weeks on that issue

And they were so enjoyable, as were the West Wing weekly threads.
post #115 of 1674 Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If Sasha Alexander asked off the show, it might've been because of the really stupid dialogue they kept giving her and Tony. The writers made Tony look like a sophomore -- in junior high! Maybe he should've had the spine to quit instead. But Sasha can work anywhere.

Also if Sasha Alexander asked off the show, the story about shooting alternate deaths must have been complete BS, because everyone would've already known it was her.

Please let Kate's death be a bad dream, a la Dallas!

As for Abby, I for one don't dig her -- or any Gothic chick with a voice that sounds like she's been snorting coke for years.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #116 of 1674 Old 09-23-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Unlike Caitlin, the new agent seems to enjoy the flirtatious sexist comments from Tony. Unfortunately, this, IMO could take away from the real interest people have in the show. Before, there was some balance but now I see this getting old fast. I reserve these comments at home because the show is really my wife's and I want to see how this line of story will change her opinion after a few shows of it.
post #117 of 1674 Old 09-26-2005, 12:31 PM

NCIS, best show on.
post #118 of 1674 Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Homegirl kate did not have a hole in her head towards the end of the show yesterday.
I guess b/c her death has been settled?
shes a hottie
post #119 of 1674 Old 09-28-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Wednesday, September 28, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

CBS scored a typically solid Tuesday courtesy of time period-winning NCIS (Overnights: 10.4/16; Viewers: #1, 14.62 million; A18-49: #1, 3.4/10) at 8 p.m
post #120 of 1674 Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've watched about six episodes of NCIS (including this two-part season opener) and each time I come away wondering how anybody can remain dedicated to it with that idiot Tony playing such a prominent role. He's not funny, he's not clever, he's not witty, he's just annoying, very, very annoying. He'd fit better on Joey. The lab girl - Abby right? - also, annoying. I love Mark Harmon and have always had a thing for Lauren Holly, so I might be checking back. Wonder if they could resurrect this Ari fella to but a slug in Tony's head though...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page