AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

But dat wasn't da real Mother's... rolleyes.gif
Word is, those scenes were shot in a studio in LA (not as in Louisiana "LA") . . . eek.gif

http://www.wwltv.com/eyewitness-morning-news/Preview-NCIS-comes-252245031.html

Lots more trivia here if anyone's interested.
It looked like it to me, I ate there recently....

Good job on the set if it wasn't.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1680 Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^^
I had seen a couple of weeks ago that the "Mother's" scenes weren't really Mother's. But I don't recall just where I read or saw it . . .

Edit: Found it! (5th paragraph)

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1653 of 1680 Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
NCIS is a spin-off of JAG. Generally, you would not use the same actor on both shows unless they played the same character.

Technically, yes, but not in the usual way. Donald P. Belasario the showrunner on JAG wanted a new show so he put some of the NCIS actors in a few JAG episodes in order to introduce the NCIS concept to viewers. Once JAG ended and NCIS went live there were no JAG characters who were part of NCIS, although Harmon might have been a couple of the first episodes to ease the transition. My minds a little hazy on that.

On the usual spin-off a memorable character is put into a new show as the same character facing new situations.

post #1654 of 1680 Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I agree. And I don't have any idea where all that "my brother" stuff comes from. I live here (New Orleans) and I've never heard anyone talk like that before. 

Ummm, this was pretty obvious.  All the guys in the "Fed 5" called each other "my brother".

Scott
post #1655 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I didn't care for the character that Scott Bakula plays. Seems cheesy to have someone named Pride and his attempt at a cajun accent doesn't work for me. I won't be watching if it does go forward. I do really like NCIS and NCIS/LA.

I agree and I am a big fan of Scott Bakula since Quantum Leap. (Another Bellisario series. Is rrainwater bothered by that , too?) The accent, the name, the nickname (King) and the "my brother" all seem phoney to me. NOLA seems like a good locale for a series, I'm surprised it's not used more often, but I'd like to see Scott Bakula just be natural.
post #1656 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Ummm, this was pretty obvious.  All the guys in the "Fed 5" called each other "my brother".

I guess I was paying more attention to the depiction of the local area and people than to the show itself. I didn't realize that everyone on the show was calling each other "my brother" every five minutes . . . It just stood out to me as coming from the "Pride" character. And just as there are not parades in the French Quarter on a daily basis, people around here don't use that phrase continually. smile.gif

They consider THIS
post #1657 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I guess I was paying more attention to the depiction of the local area and people than to the show itself. I didn't realize that everyone on the show was calling each other "my brother" every five minutes . . . It just stood out to me as coming from the "Pride" character. And just as there are not parades in the French Quarter on a daily basis, people around here don't use that phrase continually. smile.gif
But... most of us don't know that. We look on New Orleans as a somewhat magical place where people and customs are just different enough to be more than a little interesting. If there is an NCIS: NO spinoff, count me in even with the few flaws people have noted. It sure seems better than the 'other' NCIS possible spinoff starring Kim Raver that CBS tested on us last year (although I love Kim Raver).
post #1658 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

No problem.  Both Gibbs and Pride called each other "my brother" several times (including when they were both in DC last week) and when they went to the home to visit their old partner they called him "my brother" as well.  It was just a nickname that the 5 of them used back in the day for each other when they bonded and still use to this day.

I have the same crazy thing with a bunch of old friends from college where for some reason we all called each other "Russ" and to this day, 20+ yrs later if we see each other we'll say "how's it going Russ?" which of course confuses everyone else as to why we're calling each other Russ when none of us are named Russ.  :)

Scott
post #1659 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
These back door spinoff episodes sometimes do not end up having the same flavor as the new series. The NCIS spinoff episodes ("Ice Queen" and "Meltdown") in JAG were a little weird.

Ducky was talking to dead bodies but the view was filtered and the perspective was from the eyes of the dead body. Also, he was constantly trying to date a much younger member of the team (Special Agent Vivian Blackadder played by Robyn Lively). Those scenes were creepy in a stalker-ish kind of way.

No Kate either...

And the FBI agent on loan in the spinoff is played by Zoe McLellan who was on Jag
post #1660 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I could never get into the LA NCIS spinoff, but count me in for the NO try. Maybe I could stay in long enough to understand the young "brother's" accent. I missed much of what he was saying, but I liked the way he said it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1661 of 1680 Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'M the reverse, I enjoy LA odds are I'd pass on NO.
post #1662 of 1680 Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

So any bets on whether NCIS New Orleans will be greenlit? I am in the undecided crowd. As much as I like the casting, it still just didn't "click" to me.
I'll take it one step further than you. Not only did it not click, it seemed incredibly cheesy and contrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

It sure seems better than the 'other' NCIS possible spinoff starring Kim Raver that CBS tested on us last year (although I love Kim Raver).
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. NCIS: Red was a work of art compared to NCIS: NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I'M the reverse, I enjoy LA odds are I'd pass on NO.
I agree. LA is enjoyable, but NO reminds me of show desperately trying too hard and floundering miserably. Between Bakula's fake accent and Lucas Black's whiny pitched marble mouth enunciation + accent you couldn't understand half of what they said and I'm good with understanding accented English.
mike1812 likes this.
post #1663 of 1680 Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I'll take it one step further than you. Not only did it not click, it seemed incredibly cheesy and contrived.

That's what happens when outsiders come here and in short order, try to act like they're "from here". They just don't "get it".
It's entirely possible for outsiders to become "locals", but it takes time. And you can't "act" it, you have to "feel" it . . . smile.gif

They consider THIS
post #1664 of 1680 Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I like NCIS: LA. To me it works, as it isn't trying to be a copy of NCIS with different actors plugged into the same roles.

The NCIS: Red spinoff didn't work for me because it was trying to clone NCIS: LA... and outside of Orphan Black, clones never measure up! smile.gif

Similarly... NCIS: NO is trying to be NCIS with a Gibbs clone, and a Ducky clone, and a quirky forensics dude instead of Abby...

If they want to make a spinoff work, it has to be like how they started.

Jag -> NCIS -> NCIS: LA. None of these were clones of the predecessor... they just exist in the same universe and branched off from it with their own flavor of show.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1665 of 1680 Old 04-27-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So any word on if they've thrown NCIS: New Orleans in the dumpster yet?
post #1666 of 1680 Old 04-27-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

I hope so as it will leave space on the CBS schedule for something better, hopefully better anyway.
post #1667 of 1680 Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I hope so as it will leave space on the CBS schedule for something better, hopefully better anyway.

Like the new CSI spinoff that has it's backdoor pilot this week.

j/k
post #1668 of 1680 Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Like the new CSI spinoff that has it's backdoor pilot this week.

j/k
Your j/k threw me off. They really did try a new CSI spinoff / pilot this week, though I haven't watched it yet. CSI: Cyber...
post #1669 of 1680 Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Looks like Ralph Waites death is addressed on this weeks episode.. Description of episode is: "Gibbs visits his childhood home following news of his father's passing."

post #1670 of 1680 Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

I read over the weekend that it is on the schedule for the Fall . . .

They consider THIS
post #1671 of 1680 Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/05/09/cbs-picks-up-seven-series-ncis-new-orleans-the-odd-couple/8911133/

Yes, it has been ordered for the fall. Like NCIS: LA, I had a lot of issues with the New Orleans back door pilot. However, they fixed a lot of the issues with LA by the time the spin off began, so I'm hoping for the same for New Orleans.
post #1672 of 1680 Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unreal... It was terrible.
post #1673 of 1680 Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Unreal... It was terrible.

+100
post #1674 of 1680 Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm tempted to ignore this spinoff entirely. I might tune in for episode one to see if they tweaked it. As mentioned a character or two from NCIS:LA was dropped and others retooled between the NCIS episode and the premier of the spinoff series... so I guess I'm saying there's a chance.

post #1675 of 1680 Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 72
CBS Slapped With Lawsuit Over Farting Hippo From ‘NCIS’

By Jordan Zakarin / August 26, 2014 @ 7:50 am / thewrap.com

In Hollywood, the land of American reinvention, even the farting hippos have dark, shameful secrets.
On Monday, a soft sculpture company called Folkmanis, Inc. sued CBS and several affiliated companies for copyright infringement, a case several years and episodes of procedural drama “NCIS” in the making.

It all goes back to 2002, when Folkmanis first produced a “20-inch, three-dimensional, soft sculptural puppet emulating a hippopotamus,” which the lawsuit refers to as Hippo 1.
The next year, CBS got its hands on a Hippo 1 puppet and used it in as a prop in its procedural program “NCIS.” According to the lawsuit, “When Hippo 1 appeared on the CBS ‘NCIS’ show, it was often accompanied by a dubbed sound effect of a fart attributable to the Hippo 1 puppet.” The puppet's propensity to fart earned it the nickname “Bert the Farting Hippo,” and it became such a favorite that it has appeared in over a dozen episodes of “NCIS” since first gracing the screen in 2003.
In 2006, Folkmanis decided to retire Hippo 1 puppets from its line of merchandise, but soon had Hippo withdrawal. As such, the company decided to create a new version, Hippo 2, in 2009. The Hippo 2 was exactly the same as Hippo 1, except 10 percent smaller.

A year later, CBS figured that the Bert had become so popular, they might as well cash in on it by selling farting puppets to dedicated “NCIS” fans. They contracted with Folkmanis to make a new version — one that had a spiked collar and a little internal box that made the prescribed fart sound effect.
For a few years, everyone was happy. Folkmanis’ business was booming; they produced 30,000 farting hippos to CBS to sell in its online store and at other retailers, which meant a nice profit for the network and delighted, fart-loving fans. In 2011, the network even commissioned a smaller farting hippo keychain, so people could take Bert and his gas wherever they went.
Then, everything (allegedly) fell apart.
According to the lawsuit, Delivery Agent Inc., one of the named defendants, teamed up with another defendant, S.F. Global Sourcing, to contact Shanghai Orlind Toy Co., a company in China. Their alleged mission: procure unlicensed Bert the Farting Hippo toys to sell for CBS.

The mission was allegedly successful, which led to CBS selling the China-produced Bert the Farting Hippo toys, and ending its orders with Folkmanis.
This did not please Folkmanis, which is suing the defendants for copyright infringement. They are looking for $733,000, the alleged profit made on the faux-Farting Hippos, as well as piece of the profits made as an indirect result of the infringement. The CBS store still offers many Bert the Farting Hippo products, which include not only stuffed dolls and keychains, but also phone covers, t-shirts, metal signs, slippers, and even a costume for $99.95.
Folkmanis also wants all traces of impostor Bert the Farting Hippo dolls and keychains destroyed.

http://www.thewrap.com/cbs-slapped-w...ppo-from-ncis/
post #1676 of 1680 Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
CBS Slapped With Lawsuit Over Farting Hippo From ‘NCIS’

By Jordan Zakarin / August 26, 2014 @ 7:50 am / thewrap.com

In Hollywood, the land of American reinvention, even the farting hippos have dark, shameful secrets.
On Monday, a soft sculpture company called Folkmanis, Inc. sued CBS and several affiliated companies for copyright infringement, a case several years and episodes of procedural drama “NCIS” in the making.

It all goes back to 2002, when Folkmanis first produced a “20-inch, three-dimensional, soft sculptural puppet emulating a hippopotamus,” which the lawsuit refers to as Hippo 1.
The next year, CBS got its hands on a Hippo 1 puppet and used it in as a prop in its procedural program “NCIS.” According to the lawsuit, “When Hippo 1 appeared on the CBS ‘NCIS’ show, it was often accompanied by a dubbed sound effect of a fart attributable to the Hippo 1 puppet.” The puppet's propensity to fart earned it the nickname “Bert the Farting Hippo,” and it became such a favorite that it has appeared in over a dozen episodes of “NCIS” since first gracing the screen in 2003.
In 2006, Folkmanis decided to retire Hippo 1 puppets from its line of merchandise, but soon had Hippo withdrawal. As such, the company decided to create a new version, Hippo 2, in 2009. The Hippo 2 was exactly the same as Hippo 1, except 10 percent smaller.

A year later, CBS figured that the Bert had become so popular, they might as well cash in on it by selling farting puppets to dedicated “NCIS” fans. They contracted with Folkmanis to make a new version — one that had a spiked collar and a little internal box that made the prescribed fart sound effect.
For a few years, everyone was happy. Folkmanis’ business was booming; they produced 30,000 farting hippos to CBS to sell in its online store and at other retailers, which meant a nice profit for the network and delighted, fart-loving fans. In 2011, the network even commissioned a smaller farting hippo keychain, so people could take Bert and his gas wherever they went.
Then, everything (allegedly) fell apart.
According to the lawsuit, Delivery Agent Inc., one of the named defendants, teamed up with another defendant, S.F. Global Sourcing, to contact Shanghai Orlind Toy Co., a company in China. Their alleged mission: procure unlicensed Bert the Farting Hippo toys to sell for CBS.

The mission was allegedly successful, which led to CBS selling the China-produced Bert the Farting Hippo toys, and ending its orders with Folkmanis.
This did not please Folkmanis, which is suing the defendants for copyright infringement. They are looking for $733,000, the alleged profit made on the faux-Farting Hippos, as well as piece of the profits made as an indirect result of the infringement. The CBS store still offers many Bert the Farting Hippo products, which include not only stuffed dolls and keychains, but also phone covers, t-shirts, metal signs, slippers, and even a costume for $99.95.
Folkmanis also wants all traces of impostor Bert the Farting Hippo dolls and keychains destroyed.

http://www.thewrap.com/cbs-slapped-w...ppo-from-ncis/
I remember Abby's little friend, Bert, very well.
post #1677 of 1680 Old 08-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Lawsuit happy, greedy I want it all mentality.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1678 of 1680 Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What goes around comes around.
post #1679 of 1680 Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Wait... who are you calling the greedy one?

The company who created the character and who is being ripped off by unlicensed bootlegs?

post #1680 of 1680 Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Anyone the excessively sues for any claim they can dream up, especially when it stifles any type of competition.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page