post #91 of 513 Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

Can't/won't watch TNT HD out of protest of their ridiculous choice to have the TNT logo (and more) always visible in the lower right corner.

How can you stand it!!!???

I realize that a station has the right and need to ID itself but there's no reason it has to be present ALL THE TIME!

Other HD stations (like HDNET Movies) show the logo in the beginning of a movie and every 30 minutes or so...this would be acceptable but not incessantly displaying it like TNT.

IMO, everyone should contact TNT and advise them that that constant logo image thing they do should be done away with....before you know it, hi def DVDs will have their studio ID's consistently visible on theie presenatations!

End of rant.

Oh...too contact TNT via email: tnt@turner.com

All things considered... don't you think it is a bit ironic to post a complaint about pop-up ads on TNT in a thread that is about a TV show, thus making your post an unwanted off-topic interruption of the otherwise discussion of the Closer?

Think about it... you didn't post anything at all about the Closer, but further your own notion of boycotting all things TNT and interrupt the flow of discussion... much like those bugs on the screen interrupt TNT's programming.

That said... I hate those annoying bugs and advertisements... but when folks go off-topic just to further an agenda, isn't that a bit like the pot and the kettle debating their blackness?

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 513 Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I agree that last night's episode was terrific, much better than last week's. Now that Brenda and the Love of Her Life, FBI Special Agent Fritz Howard, are going to get married, I am wondering whether the show's writers will kill him Fritz off next season or wait until the season after, if the show lasts that long.

More seriously, what made last night's episode so good, I thought, was its concentration on solving a lot of especially grisly murders, committed by a serial killing psychopath. Very exciting stuff. Now that the internal LAPD politics have been largely resolved, the show is just better when it spends most of its time on the cases Brenda solves and closes.
post #93 of 513 Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, about the TNT practice of advertising with annoying graphics during a show... I hate it.

But.... This is one terrific series.

I sometimes gauge my enjoyment of a TV show by how often I find myself thinking about the episode or characters the next day. After last night's episode, I found myself often thinking about Brenda's surprise by the cattle prod, her desperate attempt for the gun, after shooting the guy, her attempt to get a confession out of him. WOW!!

The writers, directors and actors (especially Kyra) should take a bow for putting together such a great series with characters that you care about, that are full of human idiosyncracies and that continue to surprise. Great job!!
post #94 of 513 Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM

HDme2....

I didn't post anything about The Closer because heretofore I have been unable(unwilling) to watch it due to what I complained about.

I would like to watch TNT HD broadcasts (TV shows & movies) but since they continue their annoying logo displays I can't/won't.

Yes....I find it THAT obtrusive
post #95 of 513 Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

HDme2....

I didn't post anything about The Closer because heretofore I have been unable(unwilling) to watch it due to what I complained about.

I would like to watch TNT HD broadcasts (TV shows & movies) but since they continue their annoying logo displays I can't/won't.

Yes....I find it THAT obtrusive

I would love to see the day when HD programming is so plentiful that I would be willing to boycott even the excellent original programming on TNT HD because of its awful screen crawls and promos superimposed on the program. But we're not there yet and to me, at least, the pleasures of The Closer in HD far exceed the annoyance of TNT's advertising practices. Even a guy who is as big an HD nerd as I am has to be willing to compromise sometimes. I view TNT HD much as one would a loveable but irresponsible black-sheep brother: it's a love-hate relationship.
post #96 of 513 Old 08-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Last night's episode was the best I recall from all I've seen.

Jeff Burleson
post #97 of 513 Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A couple of weeks ago I complained about the quality of this season's shows. But with this week's episode the series has redeemed itself.
Even the sound mix sounded better (or TNT's processing of it was less agressive).
Excellent. The show deserves to be basic cable's #1.
post #98 of 513 Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

I love the Closer. It's one of my favorite shows. Is there any chance they will bring back that lawyer that Brenda cannot stand? You know the one with the BIG smile.
post #99 of 513 Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

All things considered... don't you think it is a bit ironic to post a complaint about pop-up ads on TNT in a thread that is about a TV show, thus making your post an unwanted off-topic interruption of the otherwise discussion of the Closer?

Think about it... you didn't post anything at all about the Closer, but further your own notion of boycotting all things TNT and interrupt the flow of discussion... much like those bugs on the screen interrupt TNT's programming.

That said... I hate those annoying bugs and advertisements... but when folks go off-topic just to further an agenda, isn't that a bit like the pot and the kettle debating their blackness?

So, in other words, he came into this thread without warning and broke the flow of the content - kind of like one of those pop-ups?
post #100 of 513 Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Oh man, was tonight's episode good. I kept rewinding on my DVR to watch some of the scenes over and over. The best of the season! What's the deal with Pope? Provenza in charge was priceless. The shot of the murder board with the words "Who would want to kill the chief?" and the extensive list on it, with Flynn just looking up and saying "we're gonna need a bigger board" made me laugh out loud. Truly an outstanding episode.

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #101 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Provenza's shrug to Pope at the end was great too, as were some of the lines from Brenda's dad. "You do hug, don't you? I mean, you have a cat."

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #102 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimnal View Post

Oh man, was tonight's episode good. I kept rewinding on my DVR to watch some of the scenes over and over. The best of the season! What's the deal with Pope? Provenza in charge was priceless. The shot of the murder board with the words "Who would want to kill the chief?" and the extensive list on it, with Flynn just looking up and saying "we're gonna need a bigger board" made me laugh out loud. Truly an outstanding episode.

Pope and Brenda had an affair that broke up his marriage. When they were reviewing the tape of the aftermath of the shooting, Pope's face was shown when he was told Brenda had not been shot...the look on his face betrayed that he still has feelings for her. Brenda is already somewhat conflicted over the engagement with Fritz and seeing Pope's look did not help with that.

Jack
post #103 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeane View Post

Pope and Brenda had an affair that broke up his marriage. When they were reviewing the tape of the aftermath of the shooting, Pope's face was shown when he was told Brenda had not been shot...the look on his face betrayed that he still has feelings for her. Brenda is already somewhat conflicted over the engagement with Fritz and seeing Pope's look did not help with that.

Yeah, I knew all that. I just meant being so transparent, and on camera at that. I guess he was so worried he couldn't hide his feelings. I don't think that Brenda still has strong feelings for him. She had held onto those pictures, etc that we saw last year more for sentimental reasons, IMO.

post #104 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeane View Post

Pope and Brenda had an affair that broke up his marriage.

Not exactly true...

They did have an affair, years ago, but they broke up. He then had an affair with another woman and left his 1st wife to marry that woman. During last season, he became separated (divorced?) from his 2nd wife without there having been any affairs to break that one up.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #105 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought most of last night's episode was great, too. My only reservation was the way Brenda squeezed the confession from the prep, which was at a level of preposterousness seldom seen outside of CSI: Miami.

I especially liked the scenes in Brenda's house with her parents, Fritz, and the two cops. Frances Sternhagen, who plays Brenda's mother, is a terrific actress. She has won two Tony Awards. The interactions were warm, funny, and true to life.
post #106 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM

I just started watching The Closer this season and must say I am enjoying the series. Last nights show was great, but I want to know, what is the deal with Brenda having a rotary dial phone at home? I had to rewind the DVR just to make sure I saw what I thought it was.
post #107 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought most of last night's episode was great, too. My only reservation was the way Brenda squeezed the confession from the prep, which was at a level of preposterousness seldom seen outside of CSI: Miami.

I especially liked the scenes in Brenda's house with her parents, Fritz, and the two cops. Frances Sternhagen, who plays Brenda's mother, is a terrific actress. She has won two Tony Awards. The interactions were warm, funny, and true to life.

I thought Barry Corbin(Maurice from Northern Exposure) was pretty good as well, I haven't see him in anything that I can remember since NE in fact.
post #108 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought Barry Corbin(Maurice from Northern Exposure) was pretty good as well, I haven't see him in anything that I can remember since NE in fact.

He's a regular on 'One Tree Hill', he's the basketball coach Whitey.
post #109 of 513 Old 08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

He's a regular on 'One Tree Hill', he's the basketball coach Whitey.

Yes, I noticed that after looking at IMDB, I've never see the show myself, thanks.
post #110 of 513 Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrde View Post

I just started watching The Closer this season and must say I am enjoying the series. Last nights show was great, but I want to know, what is the deal with Brenda having a rotary dial phone at home? I had to rewind the DVR just to make sure I saw what I thought it was.

Yes, what's up with that rotary phone? And, it's pink.
post #111 of 513 Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytvguy View Post

Yes, what's up with that rotary phone? And, it's pink.

I haven't seen it, but is it actually a rotary phone or one of those that has the touch tone buttons set into a rotary dial arrangement? For a while, that was a fad thing to have a princess phone with what looked like a rotary dial on it, but you actually pressed buttons in the holes where you normally put your finger.
post #112 of 513 Old 08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Well, last night's ep IMO was so/so. My sister almost had a coronary when we couldn't translate what the dad and son were saying to each other at the end. So, was it really the dad that killed her, or was it really the son? I did enjoy all the juggling Brenda was doing with her folks and Fritz and trying to be involved in the case. The scene with the Johnsons and Pope in the squad room was classic. Hopefully next weeks will be back on target. The plot line in the previews looked good.

post #113 of 513 Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimnal View Post

Well, last night's ep IMO was so/so. My sister almost had a coronary when we couldn't translate what the dad and son were saying to each other at the end. So, was it really the dad that killed her, or was it really the son? I did enjoy all the juggling Brenda was doing with her folks and Fritz and trying to be involved in the case. The scene with the Johnsons and Pope in the squad room was classic. Hopefully next weeks will be back on target. The plot line in the previews looked good.

I agree that the scene between the Chinese father and son in which what they said was not translated was frustratingly ambiguous. I guess is was merely confirmation that the father had killed the son's wife but who knows? It was an uncharacteristic example of bad writing.

Except for its frustrating ambiguity, I liked last night's episode. It's always fun to see the wonderful Frances Sternhagen and Barry Corbin get to strut their stuff as Brenda's mother and father. The show does a consistently good job of mixing a gritty police procedural with Brenda's entertaining personal life.
post #114 of 513 Old 08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I thought last night's episode was one of the better ones. I enjoy the character interaction far more than the unrealistic (in my opinion) breakdown interviews. I can only take so many shows where they round up a couple of suspects and then dream up some reason why someone else did it.

I was even happy that they had an act left after the bad guy was caught. At times I feel the murders get in the way of the story and wouldn’t even mind if they didn’t have one every once in a while. Last night I enjoyed the numerous wedding announcements and the ongoing tweaking of the lovebirds.

I guess with only three weeks left there isn’t enough time for me to get bored with the format and overall I think it’s a great show.
post #115 of 513 Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I thought last night's episode was one of the better ones. I enjoy the character interaction far more than the unrealistic (in my opinion) breakdown interviews. I can only take so many shows where they round up a couple of suspects and then dream up some reason why someone else did it.

. . .

I guess with only three weeks left there isn't enough time for me to get bored with the format and overall I think it's a great show.

The Closer's weakness is, indeed, the often preposterous manner in which Brenda, toward the end of the episode, suddenly breaks the case with her interviewing skills.

I have watched every episode of The closer, thanks to a marathon of reruns of the first season TNT ran last year, before the start of the second. The overall quality of the writing has been remarkably high, particularly in the first season, while Brenda was fighting for her professional life against the entrenched LAPD bureaucracy. That it has maintained its high standards through most of three seasons is a tribute to its writers and its terrific ensemble cast.
post #116 of 513 Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The Closer is must see TV for me, but I am getting tired of Fritz not having anything to do. He is an FBI agent, and should be doing more than just being Mr. Mom for Brenda. He looks like he could break up with Brenda at any moment out of frustration, even though Brenda is just being Brenda.
post #117 of 513 Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It surprised to me to see that I am apparently the first to post about this week's episode of The Closer. I thought that it was terrific again.

The poison oak thread resonated particularly strongly with me because whenever I have had the misfortune to get into poison ivy or poison oak it has eaten me alive. Thus, while I was laughing at Brenda after she was told she was standing in poison oak, I felt a lot of sympathy, too. I also enjoyed the way the writers spun the presence of the poison oak at the crime scene into another clue for Brenda to use to solve this week's crime.

I thought the scene in which the chief confessed to Brenda that he had been having an affair with the murder victim was wonderful, funny but kind of sad, too. The closer is really good TV.
post #118 of 513 Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was surprised that Brenda didn't try to find out more the first time that Pope called the victim "Maggie"...
post #119 of 513 Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

I was surprised that Brenda didn't try to find out more the first time that Pope called the victim "Maggie"...

I think she was too preoccupied trying to figure out where her pain pills were

She was having a rough few days, the world was out to get her. I do love this show.
post #120 of 513 Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Closer's weakness is, indeed, the often preposterous manner in which Brenda, toward the end of the episode, suddenly breaks the case with her interviewing skills.

Uh, the show is named after that very premise......
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page