Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 567 Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkunces
I thought the NHL has said that the OLN exclusivity only extended to the games that OLN would do that night. So if the Rangers had a game on Monday it would only be on OLN and not MSG?
You are correct. The NHL will forbid the regional carriers from showing the same game as OLN is showing.
So if your team is on OLN, it will not be carried by your regional provider. If your team is not on OLN and your regional is carrying it, then that game will not be blacked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 567 Old 08-23-2005, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The only question is will these games be available on CI.
post #453 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkunces
The only question is will these games be available on CI.
If they are blacked out on the RSN and local channels,then they will not be on CI.
post #454 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The problem as I see it really only effects New Yorkers who have Cablevision. Cablevision shows the Rangers, Devils and Islanders. Any night those teams are playing on OLN, the game will not be seen by people who have Cablevision. The reason? The game cannot be shown on the local RSN (MSG or FSNY in this case), and because Cablevision has OLN not on basic but as part of a "sports tier." The contract OLN has with the NHL says they will only show the game where OLN is carried as a "basic" service. So, New Yorkers who are paying an additional $5 a month to get OLN to begin with won't see the game! This evidently doesn't effect any other market because everywhere else in the country OLN is carried as part of basic service. The idea is that OLN gets to charge the cable networks for every household OLN is carried in. If it's part of the sports tier, OLN can only get paid for those houses that have added the sports tier. If it's part of basic, they get paid for everyone who has cable.

Luckily, I no longer live in New York and I have D*, but New Yorkers are really getting screwed. And, it won't just be for the regular season. As I understand it, this includes any time the Rangers (OK, so maybe they won't make the playoffs again!), Devils or Islanders is shown in the post season.

Today's NYPost has an article that confirms that it is a problem and has quotes from both Comcast and Cablevision saying essentially, "we're working on it." Since it's all about money, don't hold your breath. In a similar situation two years ago with coverage of the Yankees, Cablevision subscribers didn't see the Yankees for almost an entire season.

SMK
post #455 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Well this quote from the story in today's NY Post makes me feel a little better.

"Cablevision carries two regional sports networks, MSG Network and
FSN New York, that are home to our three local hockey teams and
feature hundreds of games, and we have every intention of delivering
the games that will appear on OLN to our customers as well," a
Cablevision spokesman said.
post #456 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv
The contract OLN has with the NHL says they will only show the game where OLN is carried as a "basic" service.
OK, this starts to make some sense to me. I mean, it's not logical, but now I think I understand the NY Cablevision conundrum.

Does Cablevision offer Center Ice? I'd imagine if you have Center Ice, you'd be able to pick up the OLN games on the Center Ice channels, no?

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #457 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

here's a link. right now it's a negotiation tool but this would give Cablevision a perfect track record of abusing local sports fans (Yankees/YES, Mets, Metro fiasco and OLN)

http://www.nypost.com/sports/27301.htm

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #458 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I wish I could say that Cablevision was the true villian here. Comcast has been abusing its power with control of local sports as well. Two companies, that I wish would just disolve and go away. I still don't think distributors should be allowed to control content.
post #459 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM
Well this quote from the story in today's NY Post makes me feel a little better.

"Cablevision carries two regional sports networks, MSG Network and
FSN New York, that are home to our three local hockey teams and
feature hundreds of games, and we have every intention of delivering
the games that will appear on OLN to our customers as well," a
Cablevision spokesman said.

problem with this quote is that we saw similar quotes from Cablevision throughout the entire YES fiasco in which no Yanks games were shown on cablevision for an entire season. I'm not holding my breath this season on OLN
post #460 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal
OK, this starts to make some sense to me. I mean, it's not logical, but now I think I understand the NY Cablevision conundrum.

Does Cablevision offer Center Ice? I'd imagine if you have Center Ice, you'd be able to pick up the OLN games on the Center Ice channels, no?
Games that are on OLN won't be on CI because they won't be shown on any RSN. The games on CI come from RSN feeds. OLN will have the exclusive rights to broadcast their games and no other broadcast will be allowed.

SMK
post #461 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
I find it amusing that Comcast for years has screamed about the way ESPN demands basic carriage of their channels. But now.....:)

OLN to Ice NHL Games for Tier Subs

By R. Thomas Umstead multichannel.com

Comcast Corp.-owned OLN is already playing hardball with its newly acquired National Hockey League package.

The network this week notified MSOs carrying the network on sports tiers that it will not provide its live NHL telecasts unless those MSOs give the network analog or digital basic carriage.

While 90% of OLN’s 64 million subscribers get the service via analog or digital basic, several MSOs -- including Cablevision Systems Corp. and Cox Communications Inc. -- stand not to receive OLN’s weekly Monday- and Tuesday-night NHL telecasts, as well as its postseason NHL coverage, because the network resides on low-penetrated digital tiers.

Cablevision -- which offers the service on a $9.95 sports tier with other networks such as The Golf Channel and Fox College Sports -- said in a prepared statement that it has “every intention of delivering the games that will appear on OLN,†along with its coverage of local New York-area teams via regional sports networks Madison Square Garden Network and FSN New York.

Cox -- which carries OLN on its “sports and information tier†in several systems - confirmed OLN’s stance on the matter but would not provide further details.

An NHL spokesman would only say that with more than one month before the season’s opening faceoff, fans should not be “overly concerned†about not seeing the telecasts.

OLN said in a prepared statement that the provision “is common in professional-sports network-carriage agreements,†and it is already “working with our affiliates to bring hockey to as many homes as possible.â€

OLN will pay the league $15 million if it pushes its subscriber count to 80 million over the next two years and acquires cable rights to a second sports franchise, like Major League Baseball or the National Football League, according to sources.
post #462 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant to say this earlier, but forgot.

Thanks, fredfa, for providing all these stories for us to read, interpret, wildly speculate, and yell at each other over :) It's appreciated.

So it seems Comcast is playing hardball. I still maintain that the only time Cablevision customers will miss games is when one of their three local teams is on OLN. The rest of the time, even on Mondays this year if they aren't on OLN, they'll be on the RSN.

Anyway, my condolences to Rangers, Islanders, and Devils fans. Oh, and about the whole TV thing, too :p :D

post #463 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, does anyone know when D* moved OLN down to Total Choice?

I was just compairing D*s packages and noticed that supossedly they now also offer OLN in their basic package. I know it wasn't in their last year.

So that's yet another channel D* includes in a package cheaper than Dish :(
post #464 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

thanks, dr_mal.

Opinions, I find, are so much better when levened with some bakcground information -- although I hesitate to use the word "Fact". :)

Personally I have always found it interesting that so many reporters can write stories so differently given the same basics.

But as any cop will tell you, ten folks who witness a traffic accident will give wildly differeing versions of what happened.

So, as far as I am concerned, the more basic information we get, the better off we all are.
post #465 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 273
What will happen with high definition coverage and feuding networks? In the Rocky Mountain region Kronke owns the Avalanche, and the Denver Nuggets, and the Colorado Eagles, and owns Altitude Sports Network.

Will OLN and Altitude have a pissing contest, do you suppose, over coverage especially of AVS home games?

What re-broadcasters (DISH, DirecTV, cable) will be carrying both networks' feeds in HD? What will happen when NHL Center Ice comes into the picture?

This is getting frustrating!!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #466 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
Hey, does anyone know when D* moved OLN down to Total Choice?(
Been there as long as I remember - at least two years.
post #467 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
What re-broadcasters (DISH, DirecTV, cable) will be carrying both networks' feeds in HD? What will happen when NHL Center Ice comes into the picture?

That's what im waiting for... I don't even have OLN as an upgrade option with my cable company :/ So im waiting to see which Dish provider will have the better HD coverage if any.
post #468 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 PM

Only thing i hate is that i have to jump another $10 bucks to get OLN on my dish. I only get the top 120 package, whereas OLN is on top 180.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #469 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

looks like comcast isn't done yet...

Comcast Wants ESPN's MLB Rights
Comcast and its Outdoor Life Network snatched cable rights for the National Hockey League away from ESPN last week. Now, Comcast/OLN has set its sights on landing Major League Baseball's Sunday-Wednesday-night cable package, ESPN's rights to which expire at the end of the current season, Mediaweek reports.

ESPN does have the Tuesday-Thursday MLB TV rights through the end of the 2006 season. That package is currently valued at $100 million. ESPN is also currently paying $141.5 million per year for the Sunday-Wednesday rights package.

ESPN's exclusive negotiating window expired in June, and sources inside and outside of MLB confirmed that TV rights discussions have taken place with Comcast/OLN.

eddieras
post #470 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

eddieras -

The MLB story was posted three days ago in Hot Off The Press:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=154&pp=30

Come back and join us over there :)
post #471 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

thanks- maybe this'll be new news!

Topping this morning’s tube report is word that signature telecasts of the National Hockey League’s new three-year deal with the Comcast-owned OLN web will be called by Maine product Mike (Doc) Emrick, launching with the Oct. 5 Flyers-Rangers opener.

FROM THE NASHUA (NH) TELEGRAPH

eddieras
post #472 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

And Comcast keeps on working to wrestle events from ESPN:

OLN Nears Goal to Win Lacrosse Package

By John Consoli mediaweek.com

Comcast's OLN is negotiating with the National Lacrosse League for a cable TV rights package that would televise one national game of the week on Saturday or Sunday, beginning with the upcoming season that kicks off in December.

NLL Commissioner Jim Jennings said OLN has an advantage over ESPN because it has available weekend windows to air the games live, while ESPN could only air them on a tape-delayed basis.

Currently, most NLL games are televised region by region on cable sports nets, while NBC owns the rights to televise the NLL All-Star Game and the Champion's Cup Final.

Jennings said a partnership with OLN would work particularly well because in six markets--Philadelphia, Buffalo, N.Y., Minnesota, Colorado, San Jose, Calif., and Arizona--National Hockey League teams and NLL teams play in the same arenas, and in some instances, the same day, so OLN would already have its cameras in some of the locations where the NLL games could be televised.

OLN last week completed a multi-year TV rights deal to televise NHL games. Comcast, which owns the Philadelphia Flyers, also owns the NLL team, the Philadelphia Wings.

Jennings said he had been talking with OLN about doing a deal in the past, but following OLN's deal with the NHL, talks heated up again. The NLL season runs from December to May, and Jennings said he would like to see games begin being televised in January.

Major advertisers expected to allocate TV ad dollars for the telecasts include Reebok, Edge Shaving Gel, and Hummer. "We have some advertisers lined up to sponsor the telecasts once we finalize a deal," Jennings said.
post #473 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieras
thanks- maybe this'll be new news!

Topping this morning’s tube report is word that signature telecasts of the National Hockey League’s new three-year deal with the Comcast-owned OLN web will be called by Maine product Mike (Doc) Emrick, launching with the Oct. 5 Flyers-Rangers opener.

FROM THE NASHUA (NH) TELEGRAPH
Nope.
post #474 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

ok- i searched the entire forum and found the only other reference to emrick is that he and JD are doing the NBC telecasts...
so where did i miss it??

eddieras
post #475 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieras
ok- i searched the entire forum and found the only other reference to emrick is that he and JD are doing the NBC telecasts...
so where did i miss it??
I thought you meant about who was playing in the first game. I couldn't care less on who's doing the announcing. I'm sure others do though.

Sorry.
post #476 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

not a problem!

eddieras
post #477 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
What will happen with high definition coverage and feuding networks? In the Rocky Mountain region Kronke owns the Avalanche, and the Denver Nuggets, and the Colorado Eagles, and owns Altitude Sports Network.

Will OLN and Altitude have a pissing contest, do you suppose, over coverage especially of AVS home games?

If there's an Avalanche game on OLN, no Altitude coverage.

Otherwise, Altitude looks like they're planning on showing every game.

Comcast carried the Altitude HD Nuggets games next year, so it's reasonable to assume they'll do the same this year for Avs games. I haven't seen any announcements about D* or E* carrying Altitude-HD :(

post #478 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW dr_mal, the 'Lanche web site schedule has (I think) four weekend games that will be on NBC.

Gosh, it's going to be a little bit tougher to hate the 'Lanche the year without Divesburg on the team.

;)
post #479 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

SI EYES TV DEAL

By TIM ARANGO New York Post

Sports Illustrated once again has TV ambitions.

More than three years after Sports Illustrated's TV venture with corporate cousin CNN failed, SI is now eyeing a partnership with Comcast's Outdoor Life Network that would give the venerable magazine a new television platform, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Executives at Time Inc. — SI's corporate parent — have been holding internal discussions about such a deal, but sources say talks between Comcast and Time Inc. have not yet begun in earnest.

Word of a possible link-up comes as Comcast is seeking to rebrand OLN as a mainstream sports network to take on the industry juggernaut ESPN.

Time Inc. and OLN already have a relationship — OLN licenses the name "Outdoor Life" from Time Inc., which publishes a magazine under that name, and the two companies have worked together in the past on programming. And Time Warner and Comcast are already in the sports business together. The two media giants are co-owners of a new network that will begin airing New York Mets games next year.

A spokesperson for Time Inc. declined comment. A Comcast representative also had no comment.

Comcast recently inked a rights deal with the National Hockey League to air games on OLN, and are expected to make a run at rights for Major League Baseball and a Thursday and Saturday night NFL package. Comcast is expected to re-name the network — which until now has broadcast minor sporting events such as the Boston Marathon and the Iditarod dog sled race — as it builds the channel into a competitor to ESPN.

So formidable — and profitable — is ESPN that Comcast made a hostile takeover bid for ESPN parent Disney last year. The bid, which ultimately failed, was motivated in part by the escalating fees that ESPN charges cable operators such as Comcast.

Time Inc. is looking outside its corporate boundaries for a television partner is another sign of the failed promise of media consolidation, as SI already tried, and failed, to launch a viable competitor to ESPN with CNN.

In 1996 the two Time Warner properties launched CNN/SI, a 24-hour sports network. The network, which reportedly never turned a profit, was shuttered in 2002, when it reached just 22 million homes. That network was mainly focused on sports news, rather than live games, although it did air such events as women's soccer and early-round Wimbledon matches.

CNN and SI weren't the only ones who have been forced to abandon ambitions of forming a national competitor to ESPN. In 2002 Fox Sports dropped a national sports show that was designed to compete with ESPN's "SportsCenter." Fox Sports is owned by News Corp., the parent company of The Post.
post #480 of 567 Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
All I can say is this Comcast OLN thing is a stupid move. Simple example...in NYC, can get the Rangers on Cablevision in HD. Now thanks to this deal, cannot see the opening game (first in 2 years) with the Flyers because its an "exclusive" OLN broadcast. Why not watch OLN you ask? Because Cablevision has OLN in a "premier sports tier", Comcast has the right NOT to allow Cablevision to broadcast its signal!!! Therefore, millions of NYC Cablevision viewers CANNOT watch Rangers opening night!!!

Luckily for me, I also have D*TV; however, I can only see the game on OLN in "glorious" SD!!! :mad: In summary, a game I could have watched in HD is now not available to millions on cable in NYC, plus only through "hoops" (and alot more money!!!) I get to watch it in SD on D*TV!!!!

So, thanks to Bettman and company, us local avid hockey fans are now fecked over....can anyone "spin" this into a net positive for the "new" NHL?????
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page