Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #481 of 567 Old 08-27-2005, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am a D* subscriber and I was wondering about how a SD channel like OLN is going to show the games in HD. I am guessing the games will not be in HD on OLN on D*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 567 Old 08-27-2005, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Perhaps, but if DirecTV's efforts with MLB Extra Innings are any indication, you could get quite a few games in the Center Ice package in HD. MLB EI is currently showing at least one and as many as three games a night in HD.

And D* could always free up 94 for the OLN game -- if it is presented in HD.
post #483 of 567 Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
Perhaps, but if DirecTV's efforts with MLB Extra Innings are any indication, you could get quite a few games in the Center Ice package in HD. MLB EI is currently showing at least one and as many as three games a night in HD.

And D* could always free up 94 for the OLN game -- if it is presented in HD.
One could only hope.
post #484 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really nervous about seeing the NHL on HDNet. I know M Cuban said they WOULD have them, nothing has been announced and we're less than 6 weeks away from opening night.

I'll be able to see many Flyers games in HD via Comcast Sportsnet, but I'll watch any hockey game so the more HD the better.
post #485 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 08:07 AM

Mark Cuban was on the radio this morning (The Ticket) and he confirmed that HDNet will carry 2 Stars games each week on Thursday and Saturday nights. He said they haven't officially announced this. It wasn't clear to me if it was up to 2 games per week and/or if there would be weeks that no game would be shown. Sounds like great news for Stars fans! This may be available only to Dallas/Texas veiwers similar to the Mavericks games. Again, not sure. Just passing along what I heard. I'm sure the official announcement will come out soon. www.hd.net/news.html?2005
post #486 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
I was wondering about how a SD channel like OLN is going to show the games in HD.
Pretty simple they will be on INHD.
post #487 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
Pretty simple they will be on INHD.
Not on D*. D* doesn't carry INHD.
post #488 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwalker
Mark Cuban was on the radio this morning (The Ticket) and he confirmed that HDNet will carry 2 Stars games each week on Thursday and Saturday nights. He said they haven't officially announced this. It wasn't clear to me if it was up to 2 games per week and/or if there would be weeks that no game would be shown. Sounds like great news for Stars fans! This may be available only to Dallas/Texas veiwers similar to the Mavericks games. Again, not sure. Just passing along what I heard. I'm sure the official announcement will come out soon. www.hd.net/news.html?2005
2003-2004 season was on HDNET Tuesdays and Firdays. I will be sorely dissapointed if they don't show the games again. HDNET by far had the best PQ 1080i and SQ 5.1 DD of any channels in HD. Mark announcing the games for the stars for thurs and sat is not good news if what you said is true.
post #489 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2003-2004 season was on HDNET Tuesdays and Firdays. I will be sorely dissapointed if they don't show the games again. HDNET by far had the best PQ 1080i and SQ 5.1 DD of any channels in HD. Mark announcing the games for the stars for thurs and sat is not good news if what you said is true.
Not to mention INHD's production stinks. They take the feed of an RSN or local ota network and put their crumby scoreboard but do not have any of the starting lineups or stats. Just bare bone bs budget coverage.
post #490 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Mark's comment was also kind of misleading if HDNet will only be carrying the Stars games, like a RSN.
post #491 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
D* doesn't carry INHD.
Duh. But it will still be on the INHD. If the provider doesn't have INHD (like D*) then there will be no HD.

That's what happens when a cable company owns OLN, They show the HD games on a network that cable has...
post #492 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sure I will be watching the games in SD on OLN. Then again if HDnet has two games week, I won't be. As an NHL center ice customer I actually stopped watching all but the most interesting games as I was spoiled by HDNET's coverage of the NHL.

It is just frustrating that OLN's website says exactly what NHL's web site says. Reading them at face value, one would beleive that if you have OLN and watch the NHL on it it would be in HD.
post #493 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 05:07 PM

A little speculation here...

Seeing that MLB Extra Innings on DTV currently offers a number of games weekly in HD (Ch. 94/95), I would imagine that Center Ice could make a similar offering.

If this pans out, a natural candidate for signature weekly games would be Hockey Night in Canada, which I believe will be telecasting a healthy number of games in HD this season. (This assumes the current CBC labor problems get straightened out...)

Are there any technical or logistical issues that would keep this from being a viable option? (Apart from Don Cherry's ties! :D )
post #494 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, there is a major problem.

HNIC owns the rights for Canadian broadcast only.
post #495 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Center Ice has regularly included HNIC telecasts (actually the Saturday doubleheader) for over 6 years, so I'm not certain how that would be any different.
post #496 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsinHD
A little speculation here...

Seeing that MLB Extra Innings on DTV currently offers a number of games weekly in HD (Ch. 94/95), I would imagine that Center Ice could make a similar offering.

If this pans out, a natural candidate for signature weekly games would be Hockey Night in Canada, which I believe will be telecasting a healthy number of games in HD this season. (This assumes the current CBC labor problems get straightened out...)

Are there any technical or logistical issues that would keep this from being a viable option? (Apart from Don Cherry's ties! :D )
If Center Ice gets HNIC in HD, I'll subscribe right away.

Shouldn't be any technical issues - HDNet was able to show CBC's coverage of the Heritage Game last season (2 years ago).

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #497 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal
If Center Ice gets HNIC in HD, I'll subscribe right away.

Shouldn't be any technical issues - HDNet was able to show CBC's coverage of the Heritage Game last season (2 years ago).
Same here. If they even got the SD enhanced version I subscribe too. Or if they got MSG HD games I'd sign up in a second. Ofcourse that probably won't happen but I got my fingers crossed.
post #498 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

TV Opinion:

Comcast Isn't Playing Around With Hockey

By Alex Ben Block TVWeek.com

When fledgling Fox Broadcasting stunned competitors in 1993 by snagging a portion of National Football League television rights for $1.58 billion over four years, about 50 percent higher than what CBS paid under the previous contract, many critics said the deal made no sense. A CBS executive predicted Fox would lose as much as $500 million.

That would have been true if the deal were just about advertising revenues, but that wasn't the case. As Barry Diller said at the time, it meant Fox would now be carried on every cable system, in every sports bar and in every market. History shows it led to important affiliate switches and market upgrades. It made Fox stations more valuable and built the Fox brand.

Fast-forward a dozen years, and some critics are wondering what executives at Comcast were thinking when they paid a reported $135 million for a package of hockey games over the next two years, with two options that could add four years to a deal that in total may cost more than $400 million. The games will air on Comcast's subsidiary, the OLN network.

With hockey returning this fall after the 2004-05 season was canceled due to a labor squabble, there were legitimate questions about the value of the sport on TV. Disney/ABC's ESPN crunched the numbers and projected the ad and subscriber revenue and declined to exercise its option to match the OLN offer.

If it were just about ad revenue and current sub fees, the critics would be right. However, the hockey deal is about a lot more than that. It will drive distribution of OLN from its current sub count of about 65 million to around 80 million over the next couple of years and allow OLN to significantly raise the fee paid by cable operators, which is currently around 12 cents per subscriber. ESPN, which has rights in other major sports, gets a reported $2.60 per sub, so there is a lot of upside potential.

"It's a viewership play. It's a brand play. It's a distribution play," said Gavin Harvey, president of OLN. "There's so much the NHL brings to us. It all comes down to the value proposition."

By "value proposition" he means the benefit that will be perceived by consumers, advertisers, the media and cable system operators. "Hockey is a tremendous crown jewel acquisition for us," Mr. Harvey added. "It is going to help our network in many ways. It's one of those transformative events."

That is only the beginning. Each added sub raises the value of OLN itself. The deal also includes an unprecedented package of new media rights that will help expand and promote Comcast's huge investment in video-on-demand, online and HDTV services. And the combination of sports rights and new media becomes a powerful tool to boost Comcast's competitive position against satellite services such as DirecTV and, shortly, against the efforts of deep-pocket telcos to muscle their way into the market.

The deal also plays to Comcast's strength. The bulk of Comcast's 21.4 million subs are in cold-weather cities where hockey has a large cadre of loyal fans, including Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago.

A Comcast insider said the company expects to offer a wide array of new products tied to hockey, including VOD highlights, replays and related programming. He compared it to the National Football League VOD package Comcast began offering last year. The free VOD offerings racked up 2.9 million visits in their first month and about 8.6 million visits over the football season. That meant all of those Comcast customers were introduced to the vast array of VOD offerings available, a service that satellite cannot match. In the future it will also be a sales tool as Comcast sells bundles of state-of-the-art video, high-speed data and voice services.

The Comcast insider pointed out that in most surveys the No. 1 programming people with high-definition TVs want is sports. To get the OLN package, in which at least one game a week will be shown in hi-def, subscribers must take Comcast's premium digital service. That helps raise the amount the cable company gets from each customer and lowers subscriber turnover.

Comcast also picked up rights to stream some hockey games live over the Internet. The only other sport to do that is baseball, which streams some games in real time as part of a larger package for which there is a charge. Comcast will do it for free, at least initially, hoping to attract millions to its Web sites. That will allow Comcast to promote other products and services to those visitors and sell much more advertising.

Despite their sly-as-a-fox denials that they are looking for OLN to be a competitor to ESPN, the hockey play will put Comcast and OLN in a much stronger position to go after other big-league rights as their subscriber count and revenues mount.

Mr. Harvey sees hockey as part of a larger mix on OLN that already includes bicycle racing, the Boston Marathon, the Iditarod dog sled race, the America's Cup yacht race and even reruns of the reality show "Survivor." What they all have in common, he said, is they are about the kind of competition a person faces when challenged to catch a fish or climb a mountain.

"Our success is not going to be about how we compete with a single network," Mr. Harvey said. "It is about how we load our network with must-see programming and whether we raise [OLN] to the level of all those other terrific networks. You can't focus on any one network. There is tremendous programming throughout cable. And you don't want to be blindsided by things coming from outside the industry."

The future isn't going to be about any one delivery or distribution system, but rather how media companies manage all of their resources and multiple distribution platforms to gain a competitive edge, to maximize the value of their assets and to build their brands. Successful companies will integrate the customer experience across both old and new media platforms so one feeds another.

You may think Comcast's hockey deal is just about TV, but it is so much more. That is why it is worth a lot more than the number crunchers at other networks, or outside critics, may think. Unless the viewership of hockey completely disappears, which is highly unlikely, Comcast and OLN have put the puck in the net in business terms just by doing this deal.
post #499 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 04:34 AM

By Larry Brooks, Hockey Writer for the NY Post

Despite repeated OLN claims to the contrary, the NHL's new cable network partner does not have the contractual right to black out games carried by Cablevision on a digital subscription tier, unimpeachable sources have told The Post.
As such, Ranger fans with Cablevision will be able to watch their team's Oct. 5 season-opener in Philadelphia that will be telecast exclusively over OLN.
They'll also be able to see every regular-season and playoff game carried on an exclusive basis by the national cable network.
According to sources with access to the contract between OLN and the NHL, the specific language granting the right to black out games that do not appear on basic extended cable applies only "on a going-forward basis."
This is terminology in the cable business legally understood to mean any future agreements that might be struck between OLN and new cable system carriers.
Beyond that, the contract explicitly gives the NHL the right to approve the telecast of any game over any cable syste.
That's regardless of whether the game would or would not appear on a subscription sports tier package.
"Unless the NHL otherwise approves, rights to exhibit OLN games . . . may not be granted on a going-forward basis by OLN/Comcast to any . . . distributor [that carries the games] . . . on a sports-tier . . ." the contract reads.
Apparently not wishing to publicly repudiate its new partner, the league last week was coy in responding to inquiries regarding OLN's stated position on the blackout issue.
Potential blackouts would not only have affected Cablevision customers in the metropolitan area, but also subscribers in Buffalo, Phoenix and Dallas, whose cable systems do not carry OLN as part of a basic extended package.
While refusing to address the specifics of the contract, a league spokesperson on Friday repeated the official position.
"Fans shouldn't be overly concerned at this point," the spokesman said.
The fact is, fans who pay the monthly $4.95 charge to purchase the Cablevision sports tier that includes OLN shouldn't be concerned at all.
For they will be able to watch the games. All of them, beginning with Oct. 5.
post #500 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
that's great news for us on Cablevision systems! If that can only be confirmed by CV or the NHL then I'll call and sign up for the $5 sports pak immediately, just so I can get the Lance network, er, I mean OLN
post #501 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Newsday sunk to new depths today

The embarrasment of getting taken to school by Larry Books from the Post of all people. ROTF. :p

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #502 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

I got this response from D* asking about HD games in the NHL Center Ice package. Not good if her response is accurate. I usually take their responses with a grain of salt.

Thanks for writing. The NHL Center Ice sport subscription does not include games in HD. I apologize for any frustration that this issue has caused you. If you have any additional questions please call us at 1-800-531-5000.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Audrey
DIRECTV Customer Service

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #503 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny, I called and spoke to a CSR who put me on hold twice to talk to someone who might know more than she did.

FWIW, here's what she came back with. Take with liberal portions of salt:
a) no OLN HD.
b) no Altitude HD (presumably, this is only important to those of us in Colorado, but you'd think it could've been part of Center Ice)
c) any games CBC does in HD will be included with the Center Ice subscription.

This was after her first response of "any games produced in HD, we'll carry in HD" was shot down by me in favour of more detailed responses.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #504 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

You know what gets me, you go through the formal paths to ask a simple question like whats included in your NHL Center Ice package which starts in less than 2 months and you get different answers. I am ok being snowed on really complex questions but I dont think this one is hard. Instead, it goes to show me the holes in the company and the lack of communication. I just dont remember D* being this bad in answering questions a few years ago. Its almost pointless anyways as you cant trust the answer you get.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #505 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer4
You know what gets me, you go through the formal paths to ask a simple question like whats included in your NHL Center Ice package which starts in less than 2 months and you get different answers. I am ok being snowed on really complex questions but I dont think this one is hard. Instead, it goes to show me the holes in the company and the lack of communication. I just dont remember D* being this bad in answering questions a few years ago. Its almost pointless anyways as you cant trust the answer you get.
It really is that bad...

The sad part is you could call five times in a row and get five different people including a Supervisor and still get different answers from all five. I am the type if I was working there I would not have to reference the PC to find out facts. I would know them all and keep up to date on them. CSR's really only know how to use the software that takes them to the info, and sometimes not even that much. They don't know or seemingly don't care about the info itself which is obvious because they always say "hold on let me check that for you".

I am completely against this as a business owner but you could have automated systems at D* give us the same and probably more accurate and consistent info.

I would suggest they find people and train people to know the all the pertinent info for customers before they train them to figure out how to get to the info. If they know half of it they would have to reference the PC less and maybe not even at all. All that is needed then is to keep up with current and changing info.
post #506 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 PM

I'm just waiting for them to follow Dell onto by boycott list by moving customer svc to India.

Two years ago I had to call DTV 4 times to finally get someone to call the uplink center because they had the wrong hockey game on one of the Center Ice channels.

Addicted to FP...
post #507 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnci
I'm just waiting for them to follow Dell onto by boycott list by moving customer svc to India.

Two years ago I had to call DTV 4 times to finally get someone to call the uplink center because they had the wrong hockey game on one of the Center Ice channels.
I called the other nite and I thought that they had subbed out to India or the Phillipines as the CSR's connection sounded like India or Phillipines when call Dell.
post #508 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
From today's NY Post:

EMRICK NOW HAS A HOME OUTDOORS

By ANDREW MARCHAND

August 31, 2005 -- The Outdoor Life Network yesterday formally named Mike (Doc) Emrick as lead play-by-player when the cable outlet launches its national coverage of the NHL.

OLN, which will broadcast games Mondays and Tuesdays, will share Emrick with the NHL's other national carrier, NBC. This means that for the Stanley Cup Finals, Emrick will be the exclusive play-by-play voice.

OLN owns the rights to the first two Finals games, while NBC will broadcast the rest of the action.

"This will be a wonderful opportunity," Emrick said.

Emrick, regarded by many as the best NHL play-by-play man in the business, will remain the voice of the Devils on FSNY. Emrick said his Devils assignments will take precedent over his OLN games this season.

In 2006-7, OLN's coverage on Mondays is supposed to be exclusive, so there shouldn't be conflicts.

In addition to sharing broadcasters, OLN and NBC plan to cooperate to promote each other's coverage.

Although NBC has yet to announce its personnel, John Davidson will be its lead analyst.

OLN has also spoken with Davidson's agent about teaming with Emrick, but have yet to make a deal.

Davidson will still be the Rangers analyst on MSG.

When Fox televised the NHL, Emrick was the network voice of the Stanley Cup Finals.

For all the residual effect of its hockey coverage — thanks mostly to the glowing puck — Fox only had seven Stanley Cup Finals games in five years.

Emrick could call seven games this coming season.

"I hadn't thought of that," Emrick said.

I can just hear Emrick saying that, too.

SMK
post #509 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnci

The call center could be Kyrsakistan or Tibet for all I care if they do a good job.

post #510 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch
Newsday sunk to new depths today

The embarrasment of getting taken to school by Larry Books from the Post of all people. ROTF. :p
Not so fast...just saw a press release from Comcast disputing the Post and Larry Brooks interpretation of the "deal"...looks like a repeat of the YES fiasco in the works!!! Bottom line is the NHL may end up alienating thousands of local Ranger fans vs. allowing all of those hockey fans in Kansas to watch OLN!!! :confused:
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page