NHL done deal - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #511 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous
Not so fast...just saw a press release from Comcast disputing the Post and Larry Brooks interpretation of the "deal"...looks like a repeat of the YES fiasco in the works!!! Bottom line is the NHL may end up alienating thousands of local Ranger fans vs. allowing all of those hockey fans in Kansas to watch OLN!!! :confused:
Got link ? (please post the url of this Comcast PR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Not so fast...just saw a press release from Comcast disputing the Post and Larry Brooks interpretation of the "deal"...looks like a repeat of the YES fiasco in the works!!! Bottom line is the NHL may end up alienating thousands of local Ranger fans vs. allowing all of those hockey fans in Kansas to watch OLN!!! :confused:
As a hockey fan in Kansas, I'm ok with that. :D Won't the Rangers be out of contention by Christmas anyway??

But seriously, I can see why you're so upset. If the local team isn't on in its own area because of some corporate p*ssing contest, I'd be very, very angry too.
post #513 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey
Got link ? (please post the url of this Comcast PR)
Yesterday's Newsday,

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines
post #514 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 55
from the Dish Network website:

"NHL CENTER ICE let’s you experience this season with the most coverage possible with over 1,100 games* from around the League, including the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs and select games broadcast in high-definition."

No mention though if that's the CBC feed or not.
post #515 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne
from the Dish Network website:

"NHL CENTER ICE let’s you experience this season with the most coverage possible with over 1,100 games* from around the League, including the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs and select games broadcast in high-definition."

No mention though if that's the CBC feed or not.
Nice find. Hopefully Comcast picks these up as well.
post #516 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 11:46 AM

The National Hockey League (NHL) today announced the U.S. national television network schedule for the 2005-06 regular-season. New television partners OLN and NBC will highlight the national television debuts of teen-age Pittsburgh phenomenon Sidney Crosby, Phoenix head coach Wayne Gretzky, and Philadelphia superstar Peter Forsberg.
The National Hockey League (NHL) today announced the U.S. national television network schedule for the 2005-06 regular-season. New television partners OLN and NBC will highlight the national television debuts of teen-age Pittsburgh phenomenon Sidney Crosby, Phoenix head coach Wayne Gretzky, and Philadelphia superstar Peter Forsberg.
OLN, the exclusive cable partner of the NHL, begins its 58-game schedule Opening Night (Oct. 5, 7 p.m., ET) when the re-vamped Philadelphia Flyers, led by scoring sensation Peter Forsberg, host Atlantic Division rival, the New York Rangers. On Monday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m., ET), U.S. fans will see Crosby’s national television debut when the Penguins visit Buffalo. The following night, Tuesday, Oct. 11 (7 p.m. ET), Wayne Gretzky will be behind the Coyotes’ bench as Phoenix faces a Pacific Division foe, Dallas.
OLN’s exclusive NHL coverage, which spotlights the new rivalry based-schedule, continues throughout the season on Monday and Tuesday nights. Featured are such games as Boston vs. Montreal (Oct. 18, 7:30 p.m., ET), Chicago vs. Detroit (Nov. 1, 7:30 p.m., ET), Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia (Nov. 16, 7 p.m., ET), Anaheim vs. Los Angeles (Jan. 23, 10:30 p.m., ET) and Colorado vs. Detroit (Feb. 12, 5 p.m., ET).
NBC Sports’ broadcast season begins Saturday, Jan. 14 with three regional games, highlighted by Forsberg facing his former team, Colorado, for the first time. Other games include marquee matchups between the Rangers and Detroit Red Wings, and Mike Modano and the Dallas Stars visiting Joe Thornton and the Boston Bruins.
NBC will preview the NHL season, and examine how the new rule changes will transform the game, with a half-hour show on Saturday, Oct. 1, at 2 p.m., ET.
NBC Sports will present six weeks of Saturday afternoon regular-season action: Jan. 14, Jan. 21, Jan. 28, Feb. 4, April 8 and April 15. Schedule highlights include Crosby, Pittsburgh owner and captain Mario Lemieux and the rest of the Penguins hosting the Flyers on Jan. 21, and the Red Wings visiting their Conference rivals, the Avalanche, on Jan. 28.
On-air talent, new broadcast enhancements and playoff coverage will be released at a later date for both networks.
post #517 of 567 Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
Thank you for finding a link....
post #518 of 567 Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudot
Nice find. Hopefully Comcast picks these up as well.
Sure would feel more comfortable if there was more info than a "marketing" message....can anyone find one specific game that will be broadcast in HD on D*TV????? We already know OLN doesn't have an HD channel on D*TV and, at least in NYC area there are no local HD broadcasts available to D*TV ("only on cable"!). Only hope is Center Ice at this point OR I must get cable to watch HD hockey... :mad:
post #519 of 567 Old 09-02-2005, 04:49 PM

Time for me to switch from D* to Comcast.
FSN Bay Area will begin their coverage of Sharks hockey on opening night, Wednesday, October 5, when the Sharks play the Nashville Predators at the Gaylord Entertainment Center at 5:00 p.m. PST.
In total, 37 Sharks home games and 33 road contests will be televised this season, including 10 on FSN Plus (seven home games and three away games). In addition, 25 contests will be broadcast in high definition.
post #520 of 567 Old 09-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Thanks for ruining my day hockeykid. Can't get my Sharks in HD 3,000 miles away.

Addicted to FP...
post #521 of 567 Old 09-03-2005, 06:18 PM

I cant find out any info on how many HD games Center Ice will carry. I would call up Dish, but I doubt they will know anything.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #522 of 567 Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am sure the Center Ice people don't know yet.
Not all the teams have finalized their HD schedules.
post #523 of 567 Old 09-03-2005, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Sure would feel more comfortable if there was more info than a "marketing" message....can anyone find one specific game that will be broadcast in HD on D*TV????? We already know OLN doesn't have an HD channel on D*TV and, at least in NYC area there are no local HD broadcasts available to D*TV ("only on cable"!). Only hope is Center Ice at this point OR I must get cable to watch HD hockey... :mad:
Center ICe on D* will not have any games in HD.
post #524 of 567 Old 09-03-2005, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
Center ICe on D* will not have any games in HD.
What is your source for this proclamation? It seems like there's no way anyone could know with certainty.
post #525 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

They may have games on other channels in HD but NOT on Center Ice from what two different supervisors at D* on two different occasions told me when I had called recently. I would be thrilled if they did have games in HD but as a past subscriber, I know that none of the channels that D* used for Center Ice in the 700's were HD in 2003-2004. Based on what I had been told and past experience I believe it to be true, but I am hoping for a more positive outcome.
post #526 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
IN 2003-04 none of the sports packages had HD games. Now all the NFL games broadcast in HD are HD on Sunday Ticket, and some of the baseball games on Extra Innings are in HD. It is possible that some of that bandwidth could eventually be used for both BB and hockey in HD.

One can dream, can't one?

SMK
post #527 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Based on what I had been told and past experience I believe it to be true, but I am hoping for a more positive outcome.
For reference, both the NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings began their current (or most recent) seasons without including HD, and when people asked DirecTV about it, they were told the same thing you were told by those so-called "supervisors." I was actually told that the FCC would not allow them to provide the HD MLB coverage :rolleyes:

I've read here that the NBA-LP subscribers did start to receive select games in HD toward the end of the season, and I know for certain that the MLB-EI started providing one or two games a day in HD around mid-season.

Additionally, the DISH web site is already promising HD content to be included in the Center Ice package. I doubt that DirecTV will want to let that advantage exist for any extended period of time.

So, there is precedent and rationale for a (somewhat) positive outlook on NHL HD from DirecTV. Don't give up hope.
post #528 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I know that none of the channels that D* used for Center Ice in the 700's were HD in 2003-2004.
Well, of course the 700's won't be in HD...those aren't normal HD channels...
I think you're a little confused...
post #529 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrabik
Well, of course the 700's won't be in HD...those aren't normal HD channels...
I think you're a little confused...

No, I am not confused. Those channels are what is used for the Center Ice package. Those channels are not in HD. That is part of my point in saying why there will be no Center ICE in HD on D*.
post #530 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

such a genius....

NFL,NBA, and MLB HD games have been placed in the 90s and not with the rest of the SD channels.
post #531 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
such a genius....

NFL,NBA, and MLB HD games have been placed in the 90s and not with the rest of the SD channels.

And hockey has the same respect and following as the other big three? And where will they put the HD games on an already compressed system, in the 90's too? Where? 94.1?, 95.2? Football and basketball will have preference.

I am saying it is possible D* will have NHL Center ICe in HD but based on past and current possibilities I doubt it, and yes I spoke to actual SUPERVISORS several rungs up who reiterated the what I said earlier.

Just called again and was told the same. There is no NHL Center ICE going to be shown in HD on D*. The channels in the 90's are for other sports and programming, not for and not going to be for hockey. Maybe that will change. :rolleyes:

You have to also have networks or broadcasters with HD cameras in the rinks for it to happen.

Hey, I don't like this either.

Another point is that NFL in HD on D* costs extra for the HD NFL package.

NFL has the money and fan support as well as the HD cameras at the stadiums, hockey does not.
post #532 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 02:27 PM

While I am still not sure that NHL will be on in HD on D* Center Ice, I am sure that directv customer service would be the last ones to know. They could start the season without it and add it later, who knows. Anything barring an official announcement is purely conjecture.
post #533 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman27
While I am still not sure that NHL will be on in HD on D* Center Ice, I am sure that directv customer service would be the last ones to know. They could start the season without it and add it later, who knows. Anything barring an official announcement is purely conjecture.
Let me put it a different way. As of right now we do know that beyond a reasonable doubt D*'s coverage of NHL center ice is not going to be shown in HD. Will that change like in a month or 6 months I would hope so, but again past experience and present reality say no.
post #534 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
We don't know that at all, hughmc.

We do know beyond ANY doubt that no NHL CI games in the 700s will be in HD.

But then no MLB EI games in the 700s have been in HD and no NBC LP games in the 700s have been in HD.

So far D* has provided something more than 60 MLB EI games in HD on channels 94, 95 and 96 in the past seven weeks.

And the recent past experience -- along with the current MLB EI reality -- would say you are dead wrong.

Then again the NHL CI base may be so small it isn't worth it to D* to provide any games in HD. I am not sure of the precise numbers, but MLB EI and NBA LP subs dwarf those of the NHL CI.
post #535 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
We don't know that at all, hughmc.

We do know beyond ANY doubt that no NHL CI games in the 700s will be in HD.

But then no MLB EI games in the 700s have been in HD and no NBC LP games in the 700s have been in HD.

So far D* has provided something more than 60 MLB EI games in HD on channels 94, 95 and 96 in the past seven weeks.

And the recent past experience -- along with the current MLB EI reality -- would say you are dead wrong.

Then again the NHL CI base may be so small it isn't worth it to D* to provide any games in HD. I am not sure of the precise numbers, but MLB EI and NBA LP subs dwarf those of the NHL CI.

Yes, we do know that as of right now there is no Center Ice HD games going to be shown on D*. The recent past experience you are talking about is with MLB, not NHL which is what I am talking about in terms of my past experience. I will say again in a month from now or more that might change, but as of right now, today, this hour, there is none, and yes we do know that and that is precisely what I am saying.

ESPNHD/ABC and HDnet have shown games in HD and to make matters worse as of right now we know beyond a reasonable doubt ESPNHD will no longer carry the games period. We are pending word from HDnet as to whether the games will only be the Dallas Stars as was suggested by one person who heard Mark Cuban on a local radio show say they will be showing two to three games a week of the Stars. HD net had only carried two games a week in the past from all over the NHL on Tuesdays and Fridays, then showed repeats of the games.

The sad part is we have lost some HD hockey coverage, not gained. We are going to get the games on OLN that ESPN carried, but again not in HD.

Hockey is not MLB, NFL, or NBA, not even close in the terms of customer numbers and revenues, so comparisons of the two only help to suggest what is already known which is hockey has very little fan base, support, revenues and media coverage. My personal opinion is that HD does justice to hockey more than any other sport, but I am biased as a hockey player and fan.

I will remain pessimistic with my belief, yet hope that I am wrong. You guys can rip me apart if the opposite is true and the worst of it is besides being bashed I will get more games in HD. It will be worth it. :D
post #536 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, we do know that as of right now there is no Center Ice HD games going to be shown on D*. The recent past experience you are talking about is with MLB, not NHL which is what I am talking about in terms of my past experience. I will say again in a month from now or more that might change, but as of right now, today, this hour, there is none, and yes we do know that and that is precisely what I am saying.

ESPNHD/ABC and HDnet have shown games in HD and to make matters worse as of right now we know beyond a reasonable doubt ESPNHD will no longer carry the games period. We are pending word from HDnet as to whether the games will only be the Dallas Stars as was suggested by one person who heard Mark Cuban on a local radio show say they will be showing two to three games a week of the Stars. HD net had only carried two games a week in the past from all over the NHL on Tuesdays and Fridays, then showed repeats of the games.

The sad part is we have lost some HD hockey coverage, not gained. We are going to get the games on OLN that ESPN carried, but again not in HD.

Hockey is not MLB, NFL, or NBA, not even close in the terms of customer numbers and revenues, so comparisons of the two only help to suggest what is already known which is hockey has very little fan base, support, revenues and media coverage. My personal opinion is that HD does justice to hockey more than any other sport, but I am biased as a hockey player and fan.

I will remain pessimistic with my belief, yet hope that I am wrong. You guys can rip me apart if the opposite is true and the worst of it is besides being bashed I will get more games in HD. It will be worth it. :D
I don't doubt your assumptions and I probably should believe that CI won't offer any HD coverage, but because a couple of the Newscorp owned FSNs as well as other Canadien RSNs you'd think that CI would be able to offer HD coverage. Not to mention didn't last year CI have a couple of games in HD? I thought I saw a Blue Jackets vs. Red Wings game availble in HD to CI customers.
post #537 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkunces
I don't doubt your assumptions and I probably should believe that CI won't offer any HD coverage, but because a couple of the Newscorp owned FSNs as well as other Canadien RSNs you'd think that CI would be able to offer HD coverage. Not to mention didn't last year CI have a couple of games in HD? I thought I saw a Blue Jackets vs. Red Wings game availble in HD to CI customers.

I don't believe it was in HD on D* but I do recall watching the NHL all star game that they had outdoors being in HD but on espn but SD on one of the CI channels on D*.
post #538 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't believe it was in HD on D* but I do recall watching the NHL all star game that they had outdoors being in HD but on espn but SD on one of the CI channels on D*.
That game (the Heritage Classic) was produced in HD by the CBC, and carried in the States by HDNet. I was not a CI subscriber that year, and I was able to see it.

Hugh - your statements that we know ANYTHING AT ALL about CI "beyond a reasonable doubt" are silly. We can all guess all we like, but until someone - anyone - makes an official statement, we don't know jack. Let alone beyond a reasonable doubt.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #539 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal
That game (the Heritage Classic) was produced in HD by the CBC, and carried in the States by HDNet. I was not a CI subscriber that year, and I was able to see it.

Hugh - your statements that we know ANYTHING AT ALL about CI "beyond a reasonable doubt" are silly. We can all guess all we like, but until someone - anyone - makes an official statement, we don't know jack. Let alone beyond a reasonable doubt.

My statements are based on CURRENT fact and common sense. I am not guessing, just stating current truth. I said, and I will say this one last time to make the point:

I am now trying to understand why we are arguing about what is currently fact. I know we all want and love HD and are passionate about it, but that doesn't change the present reality. Please call D* and the NHL and argue with them about it.

Please read my words. I am saying right now, currently. If that changes tonight when I call again or next week, great as I will be the first on here to admit I am wrong.

I can tell you this about what I do remember. How many games were on ESPN HD in 2003-2004 that were not in HD? The arenas just didn't have the HD cameras there yet a station who was able to broadcast in HD didn't think it worthwhile enough to bring them into the arena's.

I was a subscriber in 2003-2004 and watched the ALL star game on HD net also. It was shown on the CI package as I recall in the 700's also or was it espn? I remember flipping back a couple of times to remind me how awesome HD is.
post #540 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems to me that you're getting overly adamant trying to establish as fact what cannot be known yet, except maybe to the DirecTV and NHLCI programmers. Relax, and let the story unfold over the next few weeks.

It looks like the "early bird" price is good until four weeks into the season. I expect I'll hold out 'til then before buying it, so I can see if HD is part of the deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page