post #541 of 567 Old 09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
It seems to me that you're getting overly adamant trying to establish as fact what cannot be known yet, except maybe to the DirecTV and NHLCI programmers. Relax, and let the story unfold over the next few weeks.

It looks like the "early bird" price is good until four weeks into the season. I expect I'll hold out 'til then before buying it, so I can see if HD is part of the deal.
They "dropped" the price 10 dollars, which means Rupert and D* got a 20 dollar break per customer or whatever his total contract bid is and passed 10 dollars along to customers conning us into geting a "deal".

Here goes another can of worms or actually the same can, but I seriously doubt they are going to include any games in HD for the SD Center Ice package price.

Maybe we are all just too adamant about wanting more HD that we don't want to hear the truth till it comes. I know I want more HD and I and many others on here get downright beligerent in our quest for more HD. As well we should because SD sucks, especially on my TV. I tolerate it at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 567 Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
What we know for sure is that no CI HD games are scheduled on D* at this time. This certainly doesn't mean none will be scheduled for this season. Beyond that is pure speculation.

I think the point many are trying to make is that if one were to look at what's happened with the other pro sports packages on D*, one could easily assume it's possible we'll see some CI HD games.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #543 of 567 Old 09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
We don't know that at all, hughmc.

We do know beyond ANY doubt that no NHL CI games in the 700s will be in HD.

But then no MLB EI games in the 700s have been in HD and no NBC LP games in the 700s have been in HD.

So far D* has provided something more than 60 MLB EI games in HD on channels 94, 95 and 96 in the past seven weeks.

And the recent past experience -- along with the current MLB EI reality -- would say you are dead wrong.

Then again the NHL CI base may be so small it isn't worth it to D* to provide any games in HD. I am not sure of the precise numbers, but MLB EI and NBA LP subs dwarf those of the NHL CI.
Hi Fred,
Regarding MLB EI games in HD, is there a schedule somewhere for upcoming games? Tonight, I was looking for the Giants-Dodgers game, and nothing was listed on the guide in the 90s. ESPNHD was carrying it, but it was in SD with the fill-in side bars. Luckily, I found the FSN West 2 HD telecast on the Star Choice SportsNet HD channel.
Do you know if there has been an end-of-the-season special deal for EI in the past?
Carl
post #544 of 567 Old 09-05-2005, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
What we know for sure is that no CI HD games are scheduled on D* at this time. This certainly doesn't mean none will be scheduled for this season. Beyond that is pure speculation.

I think the point many are trying to make is that if one were to look at what's happened with the other pro sports packages on D*, one could easily assume it's possible we'll see some CI HD games.

I know Ken, I am being a stick in the mud. Your first sentence was what I was trying to say or relate and I did it poorly and then added my beligerence to the debate. :)
post #545 of 567 Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 AM

The future of Comcast’s OLN network calls for a 40-cent-a-month rate increase and Time Warner possibly taking an equity stake in the network, sources say.
Time Warner has an option to acquire an 11 percent stake in OLN, multiple sources said. It’s one of many such options that Time Warner Cable has written into carriage deals with cable networks owned by other media companies. The deal with OLN dates back to 2001 when Time Warner reached a new carriage agreement with OLN after Comcast acquired the network.
Time Warner is expected to exercise its option and become part-owner of the network if OLN successfully acquires rights to the NFL or Major League Baseball. OLN, fresh off adding NHL rights, is in talks with both leagues, sources said.
Should OLN add the NFL, internal plans call for the network to ask cable operators to pay 40 cents more per subscriber per month, according to a source with knowledge of OLN’s long-term business plan.
The network now charges most cable and satellite operators about 15 cents a subscriber per month, a source said. According to Comcact COO Steve Burke, OLN’s deals with many operators expire at the end of this year, and the network will increase rates then.
A 40-cent rate hike, if accepted by operators, would mean an additional $307 million on OLN’s books, based on its current subscriber base of 64 million. If OLN added 20 million subscribers at 55 cents a month, a reasonable expectation if it were to add the NFL or MLB, that would mean roughly an additional $132 million in revenue. Therefore, the immediate gain from adding the additional programming would be nearly $440 million a year.
OLN will pay the NHL $65 million this season, plus an additional $15 million if it grows its subscriber base to 80 million or adds another major sports property.
The eight-game Thursday-Saturday NFL package might cost the company as much as $400 million a year, according to industry estimates.
Although the affiliate revenue increases and rights fees appear to counterbalance each other, much of the additional revenue would actually come out of Comcast and Time Warner’s pockets, as they are the two largest cable operators, with 21 million and 11 million subscribers, respectively, and therefore two of OLN’s largest customers.
OLN, Comcast and Time Warner declined to comment.

from Sports Business Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #546 of 567 Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Link to the national games OLN is doing, however I haven't seen mention of HD
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view...NHLArticle.tpl

83% of White Sox home games in HD...Yes!
post #547 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Truth
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view...NHLArticle.tpl
From the guy that gave me this article who works for/with Comcast:

Quote:
Comcast systems will add OLN to the HD tier before the season begins, my understanding is all games will be produced in HD
For what it's worth. Believe what you will

83% of White Sox home games in HD...Yes!
post #548 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Truth
Not to worry.

post #549 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Not to worry.
Do D* subs need to worry, Magic 8 Ball?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #550 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luebster
Do D* subs need to worry, Magic 8 Ball?
Not sure, but it looks like D* will get HDNet NHL, at a minimum, and most cableco subs will get OLN NHL in HD, at a minimum.

Really, it's mostly still up in the air. But we'll get HD NHL, one way or the other.

post #551 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Magic 8 Ball.

Now, what would it take to include more than just one Red Wing game? (I know, pressing my luck!)
post #552 of 567 Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WingsinHD, we are gonna be hurtin this season, you might not want more than one HD game :) , We have lost Datsyuk and may not even get Zetterberg back

-Gary
post #553 of 567 Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
guess this means Cablevision will carry OLNHD by 2009

gary, don't worry, Zetterberg signed a 4 year deal
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...19&hubName=nhl
post #554 of 567 Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Not HD (or even TV), but perhaps of interest:

XM Scores Exclusive NHL Deal

By John Consoli Mediaweek.com

XM Satellite Radio has signed a 10-year, $100 million agreement to be the exclusive satellite radio network of the NHL beginning with the 2007-08 season. XM will begin broadcasting NHL games with the start ofthe 2005-06 season, but will become the League's exclusive partner with the 2007-08 season.

XM will provide live play-by-play coverage of more than 1,000 games per season, and XM will also create a dedicated NHL radio channel featuring original programming that will focus on all aspects of the sport. NHL games and the NHL channel will be available in Canada through XM's partner, Canadian Satellite Radio, which is funding a portion of the agreement.

Under the agreement, XM will include game coverage of every team in the league, plus will air the NHL All-Star Game, the Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Stanley Cup Finals.

XM recently signed an 11-year, $650 million deal to air Major League Baseball, but lost its NASCAR coverage to rival Sirius Radio, beginning in 2007.

post #555 of 567 Old 09-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Not HD (or even TV), but perhaps of interest:

XM Scores Exclusive NHL Deal

By John Consoli Mediaweek.com

XM Satellite Radio has signed a 10-year, $100 million agreement to be the exclusive satellite radio network of the NHL beginning with the 2007-08 season. XM will begin broadcasting NHL games with the start ofthe 2005-06 season, but will become the League's exclusive partner with the 2007-08 season.
GREAT! I just ordered an XM: MyFi!!!

It'll be here Friday! SWEET! I wonder if we'll get the local Detroit feed on the games! Now that would be awesome!

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #556 of 567 Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey
guess this means Cablevision will carry OLNHD by 2009

gary, don't worry, Zetterberg signed a 4 year deal
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...19&hubName=nhl
Since COMCAST has a stranglehold on the OLN rights, does OLN-HD even exist? I was shocked as hell to see DirecTV finally get off their asses, and get ESPN2-HD on the bird.

I am still torn whether or not to pull the trigger and order the center ice package. Since the BULK of the games are EST/EDT, starts, I work until 6:00 PM MST time, so I'd miss the bulk of the weekday games.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #557 of 567 Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
iotp:

If they handle it the same way they handle MLB broadcasts, XM will supply the home team audio.

post #558 of 567 Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

OLN lost MLB bidding to ESPN -- excerpt
The new deal could put a kink in Comcast's plans to transform its Outdoor Life Network into a major sports destination. OLN, which has the Tour de France and a new agreement with the National Hockey League, had hoped to grab some MLB rights as well. There are some remaining MLB windows that Comcast or others could still obtain after next year.

full article here http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/st...FREE&cm_ite=NA

eddieras
post #559 of 567 Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM

I spoke to a Comcast rep today and they verified that OLN will be in HD by the beginning of the NHL season (10/5) and on my local Comcast area in Virginia. I assume that most areas with available space will also carry OLN HD.
post #560 of 567 Old 09-14-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
iotp:

If they handle it the same way they handle MLB broadcasts, XM will supply the home team audio.
Cool, I cannot wait.

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #561 of 567 Old 09-14-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque
I spoke to a Comcast rep today and they verified that OLN will be in HD by the beginning of the NHL season (10/5) and on my local Comcast area in Virginia. I assume that most areas with available space will also carry OLN HD.
I wonder how long DirecTV will take to move it on. You know, you think with them launching all these new sats, you'd think they'd be ready.

One can only hope.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #562 of 567 Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque
The HD games produced by OLN will be on Comcast systems - but not on a full-time OLD HD channel -- at least not initially. The HD games are expected to be on INHD1 and/or INHD2.
post #563 of 567 Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 PM

Center Ice now available to Comcast subscribers throughout the U.S.
$129 good until 10/30, then $159.

post #564 of 567 Old 09-16-2005, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
The HD games produced by OLN will be on Comcast systems - but not on a full-time OLD HD channel -- at least not initially. The HD games are expected to be on INHD1 and/or INHD2.
It could turn out either way.

post #565 of 567 Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
Center Ice now available to Comcast subscribers throughout the U.S.
$129 good until 10/30, then $159.

Same price through D* except the $129 offer ends 10/31.

So much for the speculation that the NHL was going to offer CI up for free this season to "thank the fans for your patience during our labor dispute."
post #566 of 567 Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 PM

Anyone with a sat. dish, HD reciever, and the NHL CI package see any HD games offered? I am more interested about Dish Network but just wondering of DirectTV offered any.

In case you didn't know, I am a Colorado Avalanche fan!
post #567 of 567 Old 10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=588310

DirecTV had a CI game in HD, Dish has one coming up, cable still MIA.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page