post #91 of 567 Old 07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkunces
Its too bad ESPN or whoever takes over the cable carriage doesn't feature TSN's and or CBC's coverage. I would love to see all the stuff that CBC does on Friday and Saturday night hockey nights. And with no Canadian networks thinking about crossing over to US tv sets, this would be an only outlet for the general public. A hockey telecast that is done how it should be done along with all the new graphics and features that atrract casaual fans.
"Ditto"
I have kept a 'Canadian home' for several years now (since the CBC dropped off of analog C-Band) just to continue to watch their telecasts. THAT is how hockey should be covered, except that they rarely use HD so far.

John M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 567 Old 07-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko
"Ditto"
I have kept a 'Canadian home' for several years now (since the CBC dropped off of analog C-Band) just to continue to watch their telecasts. THAT is how hockey should be covered, except that they rarely use HD so far.
From Marc, a CBC English TV Tech who posts on the Digital Home Canada HD Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinRam
I am REALLY hoping HNIC will be in HD. It is the most viewed CBC program so you would think they would do it. And I agree that it would attract disgruntled fans back.

Marc's Reply:

"Some hockey will be HD. CBC only has 1 HD mobile, so some games have to be SD. The details about which games get HD coverage and where they will be shown are not available yet."

And in reply to another HNIC HD question:

"There will be HD coverage of both NHL and CFL games. That's what the HD mobile unit is for. Where did this idea that we wouldn't cover the games come from?"

A HNIC doubleheader question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u
Marc...will you be covering both East and West for the CFL and NHL...or are you only going to be covering the East for starters?

And...if there will only be East coverage at the beginning...how long before we start seeing the HNIC double header in HD as well? Can't wait.

Marc's reply:

"No schedule has been released so far. As for double headers, I don't expect to see that this season. We only have one HD mobile unit.

So, good news for Canadian hockey fans, and our neighbours in the "Southern Provinces"
post #93 of 567 Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

NHL on HBO? Check out this this article in USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...tand-nhl_x.htm

The Fan (a local sports radio station) interviewed a former president of CBS sports and asked him about the likelihood of HBO carrying the NHL. He commented that HBO would probably mike the players and NOT use a 7 second delay... the question is would the provide english subtitles for the large number of French speaking players..?

Ross
post #94 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 07:01 AM

Just to let you folks know, Mike Emrick and John davidson will be the A-Team on the NBC, NHL broadcasts for the upcoming season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
NHL on HBO? Check out this this article in USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...tand-nhl_x.htm

The Fan (a local sports radio station) interviewed a former president of CBS sports and asked him about the likelihood of HBO carrying the NHL. He commented that HBO would probably mike the players and NOT use a 7 second delay... the question is would the provide english subtitles for the large number of French speaking players..?

Ross
just hope that HBO doesn't take their cameras into the player's showers, aka Oz
post #96 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 AM

I just noticed Empire channel 626 on directv has been gone for six months or so. With no hockey, I never turned over to it. Does anybody in Buffalo know what channel Sabres games will be on?
post #97 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From the HDTV Programming Synopsis:

Quote:
NEWS FLASH: Speaking about Hockey Night In Canada for 2004-2005, CBC executive Fred Mattocks said "We’re thinking of a game a week, probably the early Saturday game on HNIC, plus the final round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and selected games in earlier rounds." Of course, this assumes the NHL has a 2004-2005 season.
Since they were ready last year, no reason to think anything will change this year. As noted, expect to see a game a week in HD from CBC. I would expect most games from Toronto, Montreal & Ottawa, with a few from the West.

If you haven't seen Don Cherry in HD, you haven't lived yet....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #98 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman27
I just noticed Empire channel 626 on directv has been gone for six months or so. With no hockey, I never turned over to it. Does anybody in Buffalo know what channel Sabres games will be on?
I think that MSG will be doing Sabres games this year. I don't know how they will handle both the Rangers and Sabres....

Empire is gone... :(

The Sabres web site is still under construction following the lockout...

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #99 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

so will we be able to watch all the Sabres games on MSG here in the NYC metro area ?

here's the last article I've found about this (May 05):
http://www.backchannelmedia.com/news..._for_Sabr.html

if we're going to be getting the Buffalo games as well, how the heck is CV going to be handle showing games when the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Knicks and now Sabres are all playing ? For the first 4, some games would be pushed to Metro and/or WLIW21, but Metro was removed from the NY systems.
post #100 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Pens get the #1 pick...Sidney Crosby presumably.
post #101 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey
so will we be able to watch all the Sabres games on MSG here in the NYC metro area ?

here's the last article I've found about this (May 05):
http://www.backchannelmedia.com/news..._for_Sabr.html

if we're going to be getting the Buffalo games as well, how the heck is CV going to be handle showing games when the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Knicks and now Sabres are all playing ? For the first 4, some games would be pushed to Metro and/or WLIW21, but Metro was removed from the NY systems.
Well, in upstate NY the Sabres will be on MSG. That is their territory. No Rangers, Devils, or Islanders up there.

In the city the opposite is true as MSG/FSN New York will only be able to air the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils.

The Knicks can air in both areas.

So in NYC they will need 4 channels at the most.
In Upstate NY they will need 2 channels at the most.

I guess it is a good thing YES has the Yankees and Nets and the Mets are moving to their new channel.

CapeFish

post #102 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Draft Order:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
3. Carolina Hurricanes
4. Minnesota Wild
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Columbus Blue Jackets
7. Chicago Blackhawks
8. Atlanta Thrashers
9. Ottawa Senators
10. Vancouver Canucks
11. Los Angeles Kings
12. San Jose Sharks
13. Buffalo Sabres
14. Washington Capitals
15. New York Islanders
16. New York Rangers
17. Phoenix Coyotes
18. Nashville Predators
19. Detroit Red Wings
20. Philadelphia Flyers
21. Toronto Maple Leafs
22. Boston Bruins
23. New Jersey Devils
24. St. Louis Blues
25. Edmonton Oilers
26. Calgary Flames
27. Colorado Avalanche
28. Dallas Stars
29. Florida Panthers
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
post #103 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
From the HDTV Programming Synopsis:

Since they were ready last year, no reason to think anything will change this year. As noted, expect to see a game a week in HD from CBC. I would expect most games from Toronto, Montreal & Ottawa, with a few from the West.

If you haven't seen Don Cherry in HD, you haven't lived yet....
What I wouldn't give to see HNIC in HD on HDNET. Mark could you please do a deal with CBC to make this happen? <on knees begging>

Seeing the heritage game in 2003 in HD was sweet! I still get all "warm and fuzzy" about it. As a transplanted Canadian I still miss seeing HNIC - funny cause when I left some 10 years ago I was pretty sick of it :)

Michael.
post #104 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 02:07 PM

I wouldn`t expect too much NHL games in HD. As reported (according to the Press Conference today) there are just Cable Companies in the deal and NBC with a few games for the U.S. With ESPN and ABC they lost two big Players and so they need a step back to hold their payments small. This is a pretty sensitive case for the NHL, and I can`t believe that they really thinking about HD right now, I more think that they need to make deals pretty quick before the season starts up.

They need a big Network Player, or NBC must step up to something like this.

DougMan
post #105 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Still no word on NHL CI being free this season? Boy that would be amazing!
post #106 of 567 Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehren
Still no word on NHL CI being free this season? Boy that would be amazing!
I can't imagine them giving it away but greatly reducing the price would be a good start.

Philadelphia: "Championship free since '83!"
post #107 of 567 Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa1954
Pens get the #1 pick...Sidney Crosby presumably.
Yes! I am a displaced Penguin fan. For the first time in a few years, I am looking forward to the upcoming NHL season. Not just because of this, but because of the new CBA that will level the playing field (or should I say, ice?) a bit.

I will definately consider D* Center Ice package this year, primarily to see the Pens!

Any word on whether any of the Center Ice games will be delivered in HD?

Let's go Pens, ...Let's go Pens! :D
post #108 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Will the Center Ice package be in HD, or possibly be modeled like the NFL Sunday Ticket where you pay an additional fee for the HD? Or, is it 100% SD?

Thanks
post #109 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMan
This is a pretty sensitive case for the NHL, and I can`t believe that they really thinking about HD right now, I more think that they need to make deals pretty quick before the season starts up.
You may be right, but for a couple of years now, Bettman's been talking up HD as something that improves the NHL TV experience enough to boost interest in the game.

They may put it on the back burner due to short-term necessity, but I doubt they've forgotten about HD completely.
post #110 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

The Buffalo Sabres are now on MSG which has done Rangers games in HD for a few years now. Any idea if Sabres fans (and others!) will enjoy games from HSBC Arena in HD? The NHL should be thinking about HD! They need every tool that can to market this game. I'm hoping that HDNet will get some games this year.

On another non, HD note, Sirius satellite radio carries about 40 games a week, hopefully with a much larger subscriber base than two years ago that Sirius can generate some interest in the game.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #111 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri
The Buffalo Sabres are now on MSG which has done Rangers games in HD for a few years now. Any idea if Sabres fans (and others!) will enjoy games from HSBC Arena in HD? The NHL should be thinking about HD! They need every tool that can to market this game. I'm hoping that HDNet will get some games this year.

On another non, HD note, Sirius satellite radio carries about 40 games a week, hopefully with a much larger subscriber base than two years ago that Sirius can generate some interest in the game.
How did this become a "Buffalo Sabres on MSG" thread? :confused:

You must be joking about the Sirius deal. Audio-only hockey play-by-play is not going to create interest in the game. It's a last resort for diehard fans who can't be near the television (or for those unfortunate Blackhawk fans who can't make it to the home games). Nobody is going to become a fan by listening to games on the radio.
post #112 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
How did this become a "Buffalo Sabres on MSG" thread? :confused:

You must be joking about the Sirius deal. Audio-only hockey play-by-play is not going to create interest in the game. It's a last resort for diehard fans who can't be near the television (or for those unfortunate Blackhawk fans who can't make it to the home games). Nobody is going to become a fan by listening to games on the radio.
I'm not trying to say that people are going to be flipping through the Sirius dial and stumble across a NHL game and get hooked. Although who knows? They might however see the NHL logo at the Sirius web site (it's on the Sirius homepage right now); notice the NHL logo on the channel guide; hear the DJs mention the NHL coverage, etc. and get curious and perhaps watch a game, hopefully in HD, on TV. It's added exposure that the NHL really needs right now. It is certainly a plus having the games on satellite radio.

As far as turning this into a Sabres on MSG thread there are more than 100 replies to this topic and it was only mentioned a couple of times... Should I start a new topic just to ask about MSG-HD for WNY? It seems that for now this is the thread for general NHL talk.

Hopefully for Sabres fans, "The best is yet to come", at least for HD coverage on MSG!

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #113 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Watching HDNet and they just had a large segment at halftime of an MLS game. THey are talking about hockey back on HDNet. I dont have any details but it looks like hockey will be back on HDNet. Great news indeed. Best hockey coverage out there.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #114 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer4
Watching HDNet and they just had a large segment at halftime of an MLS game. THey are talking about hockey back on HDNet. I dont have any details but it looks like hockey will be back on HDNet. Great news indeed. Best hockey coverage out there.
HDNet had great HD coverage. The announcing team was crappy. Who were they? Grant Fuhr & some other bozo.
post #115 of 567 Old 07-24-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe not great hockey coverage but definitely the best looking. Grant Fuhr was pretty boring.

Mike
post #116 of 567 Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri
My worry as a Sabres fan is that the Buffalo games get pre-empted for Rangers games. Call me paranoid, but I'm too cynical, particulary with the NYC-centric mindset in 98% of NY State.

On that note...the Sabres games were never shown live locally in HD due to Bettman's silly blackout rules- since a local carrier had the games in SD, no live HD. Mr. Cuban has told me, via email, they're working to get around that.

Let's hope the NHL unwedges and gets this fixed.
post #117 of 567 Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut
Maybe not great hockey coverage but definitely the best looking. Grant Fuhr was pretty boring.
I guess I should have clarified the coverage definition. I usually turned the sound off or listened to the sights and sounds segment. Definately blinded by the great picture. :D

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #118 of 567 Old 07-25-2005, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hope HDNET getting the rights to NHL games'll be enough reason for Comcast to wake up and sign a deal with mr Cuban.....if that doesn't i fear nothing ever will.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #119 of 567 Old 07-25-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

will the draft this Saturday be televised ? With no US deal, will MSG show the draft similar to the coverage they provided for the NHL conference/lottery draft last Friday ?
post #120 of 567 Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM

As far as I have heard the only live coverage announces is on TSN, Canada's ESPN. If you have a broadband connection maybe you could go to TSN.ca and see if it will be streamed.

Addicted to FP...
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page