post #361 of 1091 Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

So, if we're using the 'in moderation' caveat I think it would be hard to show harm like the propaganda would like you to believe.

Indeed. "It" is not addictive; it doesn't re-wire your brain to produce a craving for more of "it" like dangerous drugs (and many prescription drugs as well) do; just doesn't work that way. And that fact is why they don't allow any medical research into "it". They didn't like that the results of studies the government itself sponsored back in the 60's and 70's didn't demonstrate any danger, so they just prevent any more studies from being done that might reinforce that fact. Even the PSA's they produce no longer mention any health risks from consumption, since there's no data to back it up. Instead, they've moved to a tack of suggesting that if you use pot, you'll burn your house down or something. Wonder if that's ever happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1091 Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone see the statistics for the percentage of Americans taking antidepressants? It's scary. I'd bet my ass that someday they'll make antidepressants an over the counter drug in an attempt to have nearly 100% of people taking them. I'm not putting down anyone for taking antidepressants, just pointing out how aggressively the Pharma industry will pump it, yet should someone attempt to self medicate with homegrown natural remedy, one that can't be patented.....

On a side note: Wow, Mary Louise Parker is pretty damn good shape. That scene where she strips down and jumps in the pool was pretty easy on the eyes!
post #363 of 1091 Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Even the PSA's they produce no longer mention any health risks from consumption, since there's no data to back it up. Instead, they've moved to a tack of suggesting that if you use pot, you'll burn your house down or something. Wonder if that's ever happened?

What they do now is say if you smoke pot then you're funding terrorist activities, and that could be true, but only because the government's attitude toward the stuff has made it that way. Eliminate the reason for the high prices for the stuff and it's value as a money making venture becomes almost nil. With local governments already relaxing laws in the last few years the price of the stuff has plummeted already. But as long as there are people across the country who can only obtain it through illegal means there will always be someone making big money on it, and in some cases that money ends up in the "wrong" place.
post #364 of 1091 Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is a about a TV show right? I'm pretty sure it started that way.
post #365 of 1091 Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Whitford View Post

This thread is a about a TV show right? I'm pretty sure it started that way.

Consider it a public service. There's a lot of damaging misinformation and outright lies out there reinforced by 50 years of unrelenting propaganda. And the discussion does tend to flow organically from a show about and titled 'Weeds'. But feel free to steer the discussion back to how great Nancy looked when she jumped into the pool. On that point you will find much agreement.
post #366 of 1091 Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, this is certainly a show that generates a lot of off topic discussion, but eventually the thread gets back on topic. It good to keep people happy though, so at the end of every off topic post type 'Oh yeah, the PQ is great'
post #367 of 1091 Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I was going to mention Al Swearengen as an example of a reprehensible character in a series that actually works, in contradistinction to my initial impression of Nancy Botwin. Al is far worse in his actions and manner than is Nancy, but David Milch and company never seemed to be asking me to consider his vile actions as acceptable. Plus, Al is just so hilarious and so confoundingly literate...

I don't think you're asked to accept Nancy's activity either. It's pretty clear everyone is pretty screwed up on the show, and this season she's in over her head. Now, if you want her to be arrested and thrown in jail, that won't happen soon because, well, there'll be no show then.

Remember it's a TV comedy. They have to make funny things that would be much more serious in real life. I doubt that there are many pot dealers as sweet and doe-eyed as Nancy.

It's a very delicate balancing act they have to do on this show and I think they're falling off the beam a little this season b/c things are geting way out of hand. They need to pull back from the brink and fast.
post #368 of 1091 Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Back to the show. I am wondering where they are taking the show this season. This show seemed to have a quirky light-hearted approach, but now they seem to take the show in a darker direction. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the show funny.
post #369 of 1091 Old 08-23-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. The show was much more fun when she was baking pot into cupcakes and hooking up Kevin Nealon. Smaller stakes, less danger, more fun. The moment the DEA agent/boyfriend entered the picture it seemed to start getting too heavy.
post #370 of 1091 Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Can somebody refresh my memory (I searched on the Weeds site on Sho.com and couldn't find a satisfactory answer). Why is Andy forced to go into the Army? Since there's no draft I'm sure I'm forgetting something from a previous episode. Thanks.
post #371 of 1091 Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4934 View Post

Can somebody refresh my memory (I searched on the Weeds site on Sho.com and couldn't find a satisfactory answer). Why is Andy forced to go into the Army? Since there's no draft I'm sure I'm forgetting something from a previous episode. Thanks.

I think it's because he joined the National Guard for college tuition assistance and was still enlisted. He went to become a Rabbi so that he could claim conscientious objector status when his unit got activated. After his toes got bitten off by the guard dog at the "grow" house, he dropped out of Rabbinical school because he was physically unfit for service and thought he didn't have anything to worry about. As the war progresses, the Army changed his loss of toes to a non-disqualifying handicap and he was activated.
post #372 of 1091 Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Andy joined the Army Reserve (I'm pretty sure he said while in Colorado) to impress a girl.
post #373 of 1091 Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFlyer View Post

Andy joined the Army Reserve (I'm pretty sure he said while in Colorado) to impress a girl.

Yup...in the last episode of Season 1, Andy get the letter from the Army and goes to Doug's office and starts his "They found me..." speech about impressing the girl in CO and Jägermeister being involved.
post #374 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else feel that the show is much less funny that it has been in the past two seasons? I keep feeling like poor Nancy is going to get turned into a prostitute or get raped--her little brick dance, her new 'boss', it's too heavy, too serious. Even Kevin Nealon isn't 1% as funny as he was in the past. Nearly everyone's down on their luck, even Celia, stuck in that crappy hotel room. It seems like they've wandered away from their killer formula a bit, at least to me that's how it seems.
post #375 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Weeds used to be a darkish comedy. Now is it just plain dark. I used to laugh most of the show. Now I feel tense while I am watching since the issues seem very real life, especially any scene with U-turn. I preferred the lighter version.

David M.
post #376 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Does anyone else feel that the show is much less funny that it has been in the past two seasons? I keep feeling like poor Nancy is going to get turned into a prostitute or get raped--her little brick dance, her new 'boss', it's too heavy, too serious. Even Kevin Nealon isn't 1% as funny as he was in the past. Nearly everyone's down on their luck, even Celia, stuck in that crappy hotel room. It seems like they've wandered away from their killer formula a bit, at least to me that's how it seems.

I still like the show, but kind of agree with your point. They'll either morph the show into something else or have to get back to what made it funny to begin with.

Hal
post #377 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Does anyone else feel that the show is much less funny that it has been in the past two seasons?.....

YES! I was wondering if it was just me. It feels darker, scarier, and
the humor is much more subtle. I'll keep watching, but it's definitely
taking on a different feeling this season, and I'm not sure I like it as much.
post #378 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

YES! I was wondering if it was just me. It feels darker, scarier, and
the humor is much more subtle. I'll keep watching, but it's definitely
taking on a different feeling this season, and I'm not sure I like it as much.

I thought it took the turn for the dark side last season when she (and we) found out that her boyfriend was with the DEA.

If anything, the first episode of this season had enough over the top wacky (pun intended) humor to keep to the original form but this last episode, (with that brick dance?) was pathetic.

The show has always been uncomfortable for me to sit through but I've laughed and enjoyed it for the most part. When I don't laugh anymore and I'm just uncomfortable-- then I'm gone.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #379 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

but this last episode, (with that brick dance?) was pathetic.....

Hmmm.....I felt the same way....surprisingly. As a guy, I had no
problem watching Ms. Parker move like that, but as a fan of the
show, it just didn't seem right, and actually made me feel a bit
uncomfortable since I didn't know how far they were gonna go
with it. That's how the show has become "scarier" to me.
post #380 of 1091 Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Last season ended and this season has started on a sour note. The whole "Gangsta" part of the show is just dumb. Everybody with guns aimed at each other and Nancy.... whatever. Now she owes him $150,000??? Whatever... a little tip to the cops and he'd be gone.

The comical part of the show is gone... The original idea of a single mom having to sell/grow dope to get by was believable... now it's not. It's hard for me to watch TV shows that are not "believable" or at least tangent to reality.
post #381 of 1091 Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm thinking Weeds has jumped the shark too. First season was decent, second was excellent and so far it's - Eh. If it wasn't for Elizabeth Perkins and her life subplot it would be a total loss.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #382 of 1091 Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

While I still enjoy the show, I kind of find myself agreeing with others that it's taken a disturbing turn toward "the dark side". I think it started with the DEA agent getting killed at the end of last season. It's an unwritten rule in comedy that you can't kill off a character unless he's a bad guy, so they re-made him, essentially, into a sleazy crooked cop to soften the blow. But there was still a question, right up to the end, of whether he was actually offed or not. Apparently so. But this stuff with U-turn - it's just not very funny, and that's the problem.

But it's still far better, and funnier, than 'Californication'. That one's been, on balance, a big disappointment for me.
post #383 of 1091 Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 AM

I'm hoping that the two women will join forces, get back into the business, and pay off U-Turn, thereby restoring a lighter theme. I too believe the direction this show has taken in the last several episodes (stretching back into last season) is darker and frankly, uncomfortable to watch.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #384 of 1091 Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

From some news I read in the summer things are going to change. I don't want to give any spoiler to anyone but my guess is that there are in a transition right now and they are going to be a comedy again soon.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I read about something related to a church leader
post #385 of 1091 Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Get rid of Uturn asap, get her back to baking pot laced confections asap! It was good to see Kevin Nealon back to his old post in City Council though...one small step anyway.
post #386 of 1091 Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I thought that this week's episode of Weeds STUNK. What is funny about a kid soldier getting killed by having his chest penetrated by a dummy missile warhead? Jesus! These guys have forgotten how to be funny. If the next episode is even half as bad as this one was, I'm through.

I agree that U-Turn is a downer but the irritation he engendered in me was nothing compared to some of the other dreck in this episode. It is appalling when a show is so awful that even an actress as immensely talented and charming as Mary-Louise Parker can't salvage it.

In fairness, there were a few funny lines, especially the scatological, homophobic invective the drill sergeant directed at the recruits on the obstacle course. Still, that wasn't enough to rescue this mess from sadness and dreariness.
post #387 of 1091 Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...this week's episode of Weeds STUNK...

Agree, a dismal episode, two in a row. And this new Mathew Modine character and story line doesn't look interesting to me.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #388 of 1091 Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought that this week's episode of Weeds STUNK. What is funny about a kid soldier getting killed by having his chest penetrated by a dummy missile warhead? Jesus! These guys have forgotten how to be funny. If the next episode is even half as bad as this one was, I'm through.

I agree as well, at least with the DEA boyfriend, his death was off-camera, the death of the soldier was rather shocking and seems completely out place for this show, in fact, the whole story line with the brother in law in the army is unnecessary IMO.

This show really has lost it's humorous core, everything is becoming too dark and very unfunny. It's as if the writers have moved the story along way too fast and are now at a point where they are stuck with what they have created, it's going to be hard to steer the show back to the hilarity of the first season.
post #389 of 1091 Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I gave up, and I hadn't even made it to this season. The potential for satire was rich, but it just wasn't paying off for me. My favorite part was the legal store for various weed-products, using loopholes in the California law. ("Good S#!^ Lollipop" was the name of the ep.) That showed that "legal/medical mj" was solely an excuse for the sterotypical slacker/loser to get high. Funny.

But I hated the evil uncle storyline, and the show lost me when he started trying to seduce his nephew's girlfriend via obscene text messages. Not funny.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #390 of 1091 Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Well, I gave up, and I hadn't even made it to this season. The potential for satire was rich, but it just wasn't paying off for me. My favorite part was the legal store for various weed-products, using loopholes in the California law. ("Good S#!^ Lollipop" was the name of the ep.) That showed that "legal/medical mj" was solely an excuse for the sterotypical slacker/loser to get high. Funny.

But I hated the evil uncle storyline, and the show lost me when he started trying to seduce his nephew's girlfriend via obscene text messages. Not funny.

Yeah, somewhere along the line, this season in particular, Weeds' writers lost their funny edginess and their stuff turned clumsy and meanspirited. Not funny, indeed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page