post #451 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

What were they doing hiking up that giant hill anyway? I missed what the purpose was, beyond killing off U-Turn of course.

That was so weak.

Where was the Rocky music? First we have to see his ugly shirtless body curling weights then he's in a boxing ringwith her??? And...finally he croaks jogging up the hill. So friggin weak.

And why in the name of Pablo Escobar would he leave that trunk with her??? And why would she leave it so casually in her garagewith a house full of important people after she already went through the experience of losing her entire inventory???? And why show her deranged brother-in-law? Whatever.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Yes, killing UTurn was the writers taking a mulligan (intentional, or not) and thank goodness..

It's not the first major Mulligan they pulled--Andy in the armyAndy out of the army.

Larry

post #453 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mary Kate was a nice addition, her character is mesmerizing.

I don't know about her --yet. She seems like another way for them to mock, exploit, and spin God loving people.

Larry

post #454 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I never left; this show is wicked funny.

Funniest stuff was the cheap heroin / eggs joke... and the labeled golf balls through the window, otherwise I didn't find too much laugh out loud wicked funny stuff.

Larry

post #455 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I don't know about her --yet. She seems like another way for them to mock, exploit, and spin God loving people.

But in a very nice wrapper. Based on what w've seen so far - if anything, church attendance would skyrocket.
post #456 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But in a very nice wrapper.

Speaking of wrapper while I watched the episode last night and saw him offering her the smokes, I never heard of or saw that pack of rolling paper he had in his little tin. I googled it and it exists. Some kind of plant based all natural transparent rolling paper. They had the whole Weeds tie in on their home page too.

Larry

post #457 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Forgot to check that out. "Naked Papers" or something like that. Clear wrapping papers - cool if you're into that sort of thing.
post #458 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:

Why? She certainly seems very devout. Don't know why you'd have a problem with that. Perhaps your problem is you don't appreciate the inherent satire. The fundies have brought that on themselves with their aggressive push into politics, in decidedly unchristian fashion, in recent years. Institutional hypocrisy has always been a ripe subject for satire.
post #459 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
So far, it's still looking like Weeds peaked in Season 2. This season still doesn't seem to be "gelling" to me. The opening song intro still has been the best part of the show (besides the summer school murder mystery).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #460 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Well, so far it (season 3) has been a mess with a few bright spots. But moving forward they seem positioned to get right back to their former glory with the addition of a substantial City Council storyline (more Nealon is more better ) and a trunk full of heroin throw into the mix. My hopes are high.
post #461 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fundies have brought that on themselves with their aggressive push into politics, in decidedly unchristian fashion, in recent years. Institutional hypocrisy has always been a ripe subject for satire.

I guess everything is to the extreme on this show. It's not a spoon full of H It's a steamer trunk full. It's not a wacky Mr. Kotter influencing his students with his wacky ways its Professor Mengala. That's the way they do it.

I don't think its open season on the fundies as you broadly call them, as much as it's not on any other group. Sure it's easy to get a laugh but I just hope they don't pounce over the line. I wouldn't want to see other religious groups, or other types of easy targetsmentally disabled, obese, physically impairedetc. set up for an easy joke. Satire is always a great thingit's difficult to do it right.

Larry

post #462 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

more Nealon is more better

Most definitely. We'll see what happens.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #463 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Funniest stuff was the cheap heroin / eggs joke... and the labeled golf balls through the window, otherwise I didn't find too much laugh out loud wicked funny stuff.

not even Mathew Modine? he had some good lines last night. i find him hysterical...especially when he's playing a smart-ass, like in Full Metal Jacket..."I wanted to travel to exotic Vietnam, the jewel of southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting people from an old and distinguished culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill"...classic.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #464 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I loved Doug's reversal in saving the shrew. His stuff is gold.
post #465 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

Why [does the casting of Mary-Kate Olson seem like another way for them to mock, exploit, and spin God loving people]? She certainly seems very devout. Don't know why you'd have a problem with that. Perhaps your problem is you don't appreciate the inherent satire. The fundies have brought that on themselves with their aggressive push into politics, in decidedly unchristian fashion, in recent years. Institutional hypocrisy has always been a ripe subject for satire.

I agree. Anyone who espouses political positions in emotional and opinionated terms risks being laughed at by others. Moreover, they and those who agree with them should learn to accept in good grace laughter from those who disagree. Think about it.

On another topic, I agree with those who liked Matthew Modine's character in the latest episode. He has a lot of possibilities. I am looking forward to next week's episode.
post #466 of 1091 Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The whole religion thing is a bit too much shark jumping for me. Don't get me wrong, I love mocking the extreme religious nutjobs as much as the next person, but it's ground that has already been covered numerous times by other shows and it feels like a cheap way to get a few laughs without having to resort to actually coming up with new ideas.
post #467 of 1091 Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

The whole religion thing is a bit too much shark jumping for me. Don't get me wrong, I love mocking the extreme religious nutjobs as much as the next person, but it's ground that has already been covered numerous times by other shows and it feels like a cheap way to get a few laughs without having to resort to actually coming up with new ideas.

Yeah, there seems to be a consensus, here anyway, that the show has been way too heavy handed this year, at least for the most part. That's why I was so relieved to see U-Turn pass from the scene.
post #468 of 1091 Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 AM

That's funny. Don't like the heavy-handed parts - but liked U-Turn's passing (via a heavy hand).
post #469 of 1091 Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Nah, it seems like they are satirizing the hypocrisy of allegedly chaste youth. You know the modern phenomena of doing everything but vaginal sex.
post #470 of 1091 Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I guess I will have to disagree with the rest of you. I thought the killing of U-Turn was a mistake. Killing the DEA agent made more sense because he was boring and he was dragging down the show. U-Turn was hilarious and stole every scene he was in. I think they got rid of the character way to soon, but the way he went was surprising.

My biggest problem with god chick was the casting. They replace Silas's cute girlfriend from last year with the not cute Olsen chick.
post #471 of 1091 Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

My biggest problem with god chick was the casting. They replace Silas's cute girlfriend from last year with the not cute Olsen chick.

Different strokes, I suppose.
post #472 of 1091 Old 09-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:

U-Turn was hilarious and stole every scene he was in.

He was an annoying distraction that prevented the plot from moving forward at all unless they were going to take the show to a much darker place.
post #473 of 1091 Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

I agree, that movie was already made.
post #474 of 1091 Old 09-23-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He was an annoying distraction that prevented the plot from moving forward at all unless they were going to take the show to a much darker place.

yup, i really don't think the show going downhill from the moment he showed up was a coincidence.

it's time to get things back on track, in my opinion.

Just say no to cable.
post #475 of 1091 Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I guess I will have to disagree with the rest of you. I thought the killing of U-Turn was a mistake. Killing the DEA agent made more sense because he was boring and he was dragging down the show. U-Turn was hilarious and stole every scene he was in. I think they got rid of the character way to soon, but the way he went was surprising.

I'm with you on both of these points, which I guess puts us in the solid minority here. U-Turn never bothered me. In fact, I really enjoyed the satiric take of the gansta/thug the show was attempting, albeit not too successfully. His interactions with his "boy" and his getting his own Prius were very funny to me. The problem for me this season is that, if the writers want to explore a darker side, then, in order to keep the show funny, they need to make those elements a little more over the top, instead of trying to keep everything firmly rooted in "realism" (whatever that may be for a show like this). For example, U-Turn's death should have been much more bizarre, maybe some ridiculous accident with his Prius, rather than the heavy-handed way it was done.

As for the Olsen girl, well, she is just plain annoying. And the DEA agent really needed to go. True, he introduced a needed conflict for the Nancy, but he was just so freakin' dull (and has been in everything else I seen him in). But, truth be told, the show only lights up for me anymore when Elizabeth Perkins or Kevin Nealon is on. Even Nancy is starting to grate.
post #476 of 1091 Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I'm with you on both of these points, which I guess puts us in the solid minority here. U-Turn never bothered me. In fact, I really enjoyed the satiric take of the gansta/thug the show was attempting, albeit not too successfully. His interactions with his "boy" and his getting his own Prius were very funny to me. The problem for me this season is that, if the writers want to explore a darker side, then, in order to keep the show funny, they need to make those elements a little more over the top, instead of trying to keep everything firmly rooted in "realism" (whatever that may be for a show like this). For example, U-Turn's death should have been much more bizarre, maybe some ridiculous accident with his Prius, rather than the heavy-handed way it was done.

As for the Olsen girl, well, she is just plain annoying. And the DEA agent really needed to go. True, he introduced a needed conflict for the Nancy, but he was just so freakin' dull (and has been in everything else I seen him in). But, truth be told, the show only lights up for me anymore when Elizabeth Perkins or Kevin Nealon is on. Even Nancy is starting to grate.

It seems like a great minority group to be in. For me the main plot is Nancy as a drug dealer who gets in over her head. The rest of the stuff is just fluff,funny fluff but still fluff. For me the DEA stuff was much darker since it came with such a boring character that every time he showed up I wanted to fast forward.
post #477 of 1091 Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see some postive feedback about the show.

Tonight is the season premier of CSI Miami.
Watch Weeds, then Califorication. Or DVR the showtime shows and catch the CSI Miami live.
post #478 of 1091 Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

Nice to see some postive feedback about the show.

Tonight is the season premier of CSI Miami.
Watch Weeds, then Califorication. Or DVR the showtime shows and catch the CSI Miami live.

DVR CSI Miami so you can skip the commercials.
post #479 of 1091 Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point.

I also think the Showtime shows are better than CSI Miami. Also, they are 'un-edited' as CSI is a national public show.
post #480 of 1091 Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Silas's girlfriend Megan was better IMO.
Her real name is Shoshannah Stern.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page