'Weeds' on SHO HD - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I was expecting something like season 2 finale. Mexican stand off and everybody dies :P

... but this was totally unexpected!

OB: and yeah Doug was great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Didn't see that ending coming (which is good). The implications of where "Weeds" will be going during it's remaining two seasons though aren't as fascinating or fun to think though. The show might be heading down that narrow creative corner that some other shows have written themselves into.
post #723 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

The implications of where "Weeds" will be going during it's remaining two seasons though aren't as fascinating or fun to think though. The show might be heading down that narrow creative corner that some other shows have written themselves into.

I have to disagree. This was the best season and it concluded with the deepest and richest well of material than any other season. The writers set up a veritable smorgasbord of story lines for next year.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #724 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I also think this was the best season, although I do miss the pot dealing mama.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #725 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Anyone want to bet that sonogram photo was of either Shane or Silas? I doubt she's pregnant but brought that along for insurance, just in case things went south--which they did once the photo of her and the cop came out. They made an overt effort to show the picture of his three daughters in last week's episode and they also showed that again in the 'previously on Weeds' clips at the beginning of the finale. She (correctly) figured he would be happy to have a son, which is why she said what she said.

-Matt
post #726 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ They also showed Silas in bed with his MILF girlfriend, so you're right about the picture not being Nancy's being a possibility although I can't think of a scene in a previous episode in which they set-up any of the characters getting a medical check-up. It's at least a potential out if the writers don't want to go the 'Nancy is pregnant' route. In hindsight the reveal at the end makes the whole episode interesting to watch again. It explains why Nancy seems so shellshocked when she walks into the house (sitting in the floor of the stairs) and she sleepwalks/pours her soul to Andy in the bathroom and that gift basket telephone operator on the drive to Mexico. I thought she was shaken by the interrogation with the DEA agent turning ugly (which might still be the case).

Celia as a prisoner for ransom by her own daughter in a foreign country should be a fun start next season. And what can I say about Doug? Kevin Nealon's the man! The highlight of the season for me was seeing Lee Majors alive and well protecting our borders from illegal immigrants while fantasizing about being lifted whole by his "girlfriend" after sex. Good God, I haven't laughed so hard this year like I did during Lee's couple of episodes on "Weeds" this season. I was literally in tears on the floor with my sides aching from laughing so hard. Can't wait for next season!
post #727 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The show might be heading down that narrow creative corner that some other shows have written themselves into.

Quote:

In hindsight the reveal at the end makes the whole episode interesting to watch again.

Quote:

Can't wait for next season!

That's a 180.. I guess you watched it again this afternoon.

Larry

post #728 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm on vacation at home (no money to go anywhere) so yes, I watched it live last night and again today on the HD DVR. Not much of a repeat viewer of "Weeds" but that finale sure works better when watched again with the hindsight of what's coming. Which, as someone else said, may or may not be what it's intended to convey. It just might be that Nancy was smart enough to have an Ace in her sleeve for something like this. Makes you wonder if she already knew she was pregnant (again, assuming here) when she gave the tunnel's location to the Feds after she saw human trafficking (which would have been high on her mind) and was talking with Andy on the beach about being unable to justify her criminal behavior.
post #729 of 1091 Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

In hindsight the reveal at the end makes the whole episode interesting to watch again. It explains why Nancy seems so shellshocked when she walks into the house (sitting in the floor of the stairs) and she sleepwalks/pours her soul to Andy in the bathroom and that gift basket telephone operator on the drive to Mexico. I thought she was shaken by the interrogation with the DEA agent turning ugly (which might still be the case).

Andy: "Very Nice! Bigger than I thought"
post #730 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

Anyone want to bet that sonogram photo was of either Shane or Silas? I doubt she's pregnant but brought that along for insurance, just in case things went south--which they did once the photo of her and the cop came out. They made an overt effort to show the picture of his three daughters in last week's episode and they also showed that again in the 'previously on Weeds' clips at the beginning of the finale. She (correctly) figured he would be happy to have a son, which is why she said what she said.

Yeah, that's a very good possibility. Nancy's smart enough to have a back-up plan. She had to know things were going to go haywire when she ratted out Gomez and the tunnel.

But help me out here; I must have missed some exposition about Celia having another daughter. Where'd that come from??

And Andy being secretly in love with Nancy? I know they're not blood related, but after all they've been through, I still feel kinda'....ick. I don't like that as a plot development. But Andy always needs to have a cause or something; the coyote bit was gold. And looks like Shane is entering the family business. Maybe they can bring Mary Kate back next year - they said before the season that they were "looking at the possibility" if they could find a reason to include her. Guess they didn't find one - blowback from Heath Ledger maybe? And finally, nice to know Doug is still 100% Doug.
post #731 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Liked: 12
The older daughter was in the first few episodes, she was actually Silas' girlfriend. They shipped her away really early on though.
post #732 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post

The older daughter was in the first few episodes, she was actually Silas' girlfriend. They shipped her away really early on though.

Yeah, that was back in the very first episodes when they were still developing the characters. When Nancy and Celia's mothering skills were established as being questionable.

Larry

post #733 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Thanks for the heads up about Celia's older daughter, I had forgotten about her. I agree with what seems to be the consensus, this was a great finale to an outstanding season. Although a lot of it was very dark, its funny moments were funny indeed. For example, when Doug put the noose around his neck, I had a pretty good idea about what was coming because I have come to know Doug.

The scene between Nancy and Andy in Nancy's bathroom, and Nancy's telephone call to the gift basket place from her car while she was driving to her fateful meeting with Esteban, were both funny and moving. I howled when Celia's daughter told her Mexican lover that she was dumping him. Do you want to talk about a chip off the old block? Great television!
post #734 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I went back and replayed the episode as well as the teaser for next year. I have to conclude that Nancy is pregnant.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #735 of 1091 Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

I went back and replayed the episode as well as the teaser for next year. I have to conclude that Nancy is pregnant.

Would also explain the "bigger than I thought" line.
post #736 of 1091 Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't think anyone would pay for Celia's ransom... specially not her family, poor lady.. LOL

Yes, Nancy maybe pregnant and would be the next season plotline

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #737 of 1091 Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Personally, I couldn't take a whole season of her preg., I hope we fast forward to the 9th month, or just after the baby is born.
post #738 of 1091 Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I don't think anyone would pay for Celia's ransom... specially not her family, poor lady.. LOL

Yes, Nancy maybe pregnant and would be the next season plotline

I think, with Celia held for ransom, we'll see Andy's next "mission". I can see him and Doug trying to mount some hugely complicated rescue that just goes screamingly, hilariously wrong. And Celia being held, I can see something similar to - what was that movie where the bumbling kidnappers had their hands full with a narcissistic, rude victim (maybe played by Bette Midler)...? It could be comedy gold.
post #739 of 1091 Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

- what was that movie where the bumbling kidnappers had their hands full with a narcissistic, rude victim (maybe played by Bette Midler)...? It could be comedy gold.

"Ruthless People"

Sounds funny but I can't see those two motivated enough to take on such a mission. They would probably go down there with Sawzalls- and help.

Larry

post #740 of 1091 Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Or they abduct "The Andy", you know when they adbuct someone they send some finger or toe to force the issue, they will go and try to cut one of Andy's toes with a big surprise that he's missing some.. LOL

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #741 of 1091 Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got to watch it.
Good stuff.
post #742 of 1091 Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #743 of 1091 Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody got the date of the season opener? My friend wants to know, I can't find it on imdb or sho.com.
post #744 of 1091 Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

Anybody got the date of the season opener? My friend wants to know, I can't find it on imdb or sho.com.

The only thing we know right now is 2009. Most likely during the summer again.
post #745 of 1091 Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just giving this thread a friendly bump to ask a question: Is this a good show? I don't have Showtime, so I was never able to watch it on TV. Some of my co-workers say that this is an awesome show and that I should watch them. I see the DVDs on sale for $20 (sometimes less) in stores and I was thinking of buying this and giving this show a shot. So, do you people recommend that I buy the DVDs and give this show a try?
post #746 of 1091 Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on my personal experience with friends and relatives you should either rent Season 1 or just buy the first season (cheap of course) and see if you like it. Some of my relatives/friends became diehard fans after seeing S1, others looked at me as if I was giving poison to their pets! I liked it right away (Kevin Nealon's character alone is worth watching the series for) but I'm the weirdest dude I know! It's very funny in a dark, cynical and often life-is-cruel-so-you-either-roll-with-it-or-cry way that is entirely viewer-dependent. So I suggest a Netflix tryout or a bargain-priced look at S1. If you like S1 then the second season is incredible, the third meanders a little but rights itself up toward the end and the fourth season (the most recent) is a return to form.
post #747 of 1091 Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

The Blu Rays of S1 and S2 are 12.99 per season if you are looking for pretty cheap. Gotta agree with Dad, it's a love it or hate it show. It was rather interesting watching how the show changed from S1 to S3 and then almost resets itself in S4 with a significantly different tone/character than where the show started.

I actually like Andy better than Nealon's character and some of the conversations between with Andy and the youngest son are just tear inducing hysterical -- who can forget the warm banana craze.
post #748 of 1091 Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

The Blu Rays of S1 and S2 are 12.99 per season if you are looking for pretty cheap.

I saw that, but unfortunately, I don't have a Blu-ray player and probably won't get one. I find it so strange. This is the only Blu-ray title I've seen that's cheaper than its DVD counterpart. *scratches head*

Aside from the upgrade in picture quality, the one big advantage of getting the Blu-ray though is that Season 1 is widescreen. I can't believe the Season 1 DVD is full screen. Yuck!!
post #749 of 1091 Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

I saw that, but unfortunately, I don't have a Blu-ray player and probably won't get one. I find it so strange. This is the only Blu-ray title I've seen that's cheaper than its DVD counterpart. *scratches head*

Aside from the upgrade in picture quality, the one big advantage of getting the Blu-ray though is that Season 1 is widescreen. I can't believe the Season 1 DVD is full screen. Yuck!!

I am another fan of the show and reccomend getting in from the beginning so that you know the back story. There was a lot of complaining last season (about how the show was done), but IMO it wasnt bad at all and I enjoyed almost every episode. ITs on my recommended list to others .
post #750 of 1091 Old 03-19-2009, 04:51 AM

Very smart, very subversive, very funny. Maybe the best comedy of the last decade; it would certainly have to be in the running. Not for the ideologically calcified, however (but those people don't usually have much of a sense of humor anyways).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page