World Cup 2006 In HDTV on ABC, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD - All 64 games! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1796 Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Member
 
kwhittenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't say I have a lot of hope that any of those friendlies will be in HD after the Mexico match was stuck on ESPN Classic, of all places. :mad:
kwhittenberger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1796 Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was nothing they could do due to other higher revenue generating contracts with college football.
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #93 of 1796 Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Member
 
kwhittenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I wasn't only targetting ESPN, but also the too-slowly growing fan base.
kwhittenberger is offline  
post #94 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
thall85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(By Brian Trusdell, The Associated Press)

"NEW YORK — ABC and ESPN bought U.S. English-language television rights for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups from FIFA for $100 million in a deal announced Wednesday. The deal with the networks, owned by The Walt Disney Co., also includes rights to the 2007 and 2011 Women's World Cups, and the 2009 and 2013 Confederations Cups.
The 2010 World Cup will be played in South Africa and the 2014 tournament in South America, with Brazil the leading candidate to be the host. ABC will televise at least 10 matches live during each tournament, including the final..."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...tm?POE=SPOISVA

But Cf.

"NEW YORK (Dow Jones) - Television networks ABC and Univision on Wednesday said they have agreed to pay $425 million cash for the right to U.S. broadcasts of soccer's most prestigious tournament through 2014, the biggest cash deal for any single country.

'ABC (DIS), which is planning to show every game of the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany live and in high definition, also said it plans to promote the tournament and international football with its Internet sites and units that produce content for mobile platforms, including phones.

...

'ABC, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS)and long the home of English-language soccer broadcasts in the U.S., including Europe's Champions League tournament, will pay $325 million, and Univision (UVN)will pay $100 million. Univision will have the Spanish-language broadcast rights... "

Source: http://www.thebusinessonline.com/DJS...051102DN016616
thall85 is offline  
post #95 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Member
 
risnuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish ABC/ESPN would just use the BBC or ITV commentators instead of thier own. I want to be able to hear the greatest football announcer of them all, John Motson, call the World Cup Final instead of whatever boring hack the Mouse decides to stick in the booth.
risnuff is offline  
post #96 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That sucks. Would have rather it gone so SUM so they could continue to package it with MLS
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #97 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
guamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
That sucks. Would have rather it gone so SUM so they could continue to package it with MLS
SUM responds to the announcement:

FIFA rights awarded to ABC/ESPN, Univision: Soccer United Marketing applauds record-breaking deal

ESPN, ABC get World Cup rights for $100 million

Quote:
Both ESPN executive vice president John Skipper and Garber said they hope to announce within weeks or months agreements on new television deals. Garber said MLS anticipates securing rights fees.
For MLS fans, this is the important news: Garber anticipates securing "rights fees."
IOW, ESPN will be paying MLS for the right to air league games as opposed to the other way around.
guamster is offline  
post #98 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by risnuff
I wish ABC/ESPN would just use the BBC or ITV commentators instead of thier own. I want to be able to hear the greatest football announcer of them all, John Motson, call the World Cup Final instead of whatever boring hack the Mouse decides to stick in the booth.
I never thought I'd see Motty mentioned here!

Have you tried streaming BBC Radio Five Live for a UK commentary - of live footy, or is it too out of sync? An alternative would be finding a UK "friend" who is willing to use a Slingbox (or some other audio streaming device) I guess.

Over here the BBCi service often allows you to chose between TV, Radio or no commentary at all, or in the case of home nations matches (i.e. England v Wales/Scotland) you can chose whether you want the Radio Wales or Radio Scotland commentaries. I think for the US Open Golf we were able to chose between a US feed with US commentary, and the BBC feed with Steve Rider (though he's moving to ITV - or is expected to - with Gary Lineker taking over some golf duties, in addition to his football duties)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #99 of 1796 Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guamster
For MLS fans, this is the important news: Garber anticipates securing "rights fees."
IOW, ESPN will be paying MLS for the right to air league games as opposed to the other way around.
I'll believe it when I read it as confirmed. Anyone who follows the TV business knows it's very hard to get people paying for a product when they are used to not doing so for years.
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #100 of 1796 Old 11-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Brainodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000
I never thought I'd see Motty mentioned here!

Have you tried streaming BBC Radio Five Live for a UK commentary - of live footy, or is it too out of sync? An alternative would be finding a UK "friend" who is willing to use a Slingbox (or some other audio streaming device) I guess.
I'd rather listen to Tyler or someone like that. I love Motty but he's patchy.

As for Five Live, FIFA is really tight about internet broadcasts and more often than not, you can't hear games from the Beeb site. I tried during the last WC.
Brainodo is offline  
post #101 of 1796 Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainodo
I'd rather listen to Tyler or someone like that. I love Motty but he's patchy.

As for Five Live, FIFA is really tight about internet broadcasts and more often than not, you can't hear games from the Beeb site. I tried during the last WC.
Doh! Of course - you're absolutely right - radio rights are as tightly contested as TV in many territories.

(Wonder how many people will want to use a Sling box or similar... Would certainly be possible to stream R5 from DAB or DTT/DSat from country to country)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #102 of 1796 Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Member
 
leftjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thall85
(By Brian Trusdell, The Associated Press)

"NEW YORK — ABC and ESPN bought U.S. English-language television rights for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups from FIFA for $100 million in a deal announced Wednesday. The deal with the networks, owned by The Walt Disney Co., also includes rights to the 2007 and 2011 Women's World Cups, and the 2009 and 2013 Confederations Cups.
The 2010 World Cup will be played in South Africa and the 2014 tournament in South America, with Brazil the leading candidate to be the host. ABC will televise at least 10 matches live during each tournament, including the final..."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...tm?POE=SPOISVA

But Cf.

"NEW YORK (Dow Jones) - Television networks ABC and Univision on Wednesday said they have agreed to pay $425 million cash for the right to U.S. broadcasts of soccer's most prestigious tournament through 2014, the biggest cash deal for any single country.

'ABC (DIS), which is planning to show every game of the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany live and in high definition, also said it plans to promote the tournament and international football with its Internet sites and units that produce content for mobile platforms, including phones.

...

'ABC, owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS)and long the home of English-language soccer broadcasts in the U.S., including Europe's Champions League tournament, will pay $325 million, and Univision (UVN)will pay $100 million. Univision will have the Spanish-language broadcast rights... "

Source: http://www.thebusinessonline.com/DJS...051102DN016616
the businessonline figures are wrong. It's $325 m from univision, and $100 from ABC/Disney, according to every other on-line source I've read:

"ABC and ESPN bought U.S. English-language television rights for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups from FIFA for $100 million in a deal announced Wednesday.

...

"Soccer United Marketing, an affiliate of Major League Soccer, paid $40 million for rights to the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, next year's World Cup in Germany and the 2003 Women's World Cup, originally scheduled for China but moved to the United States. SUM then reached deals for ABC and ESPN to broadcast the games.

"'In the immediate and long-term future, today's news will prove to be a historical turning point for the sport,' said MLS commissioner Don Garber. 'These recent developments further solidify soccer's standing and value as a major television property in the United States with even greater future potential.'

"FIFA also said that Univision purchased Spanish-language U.S. rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and the other tournaments in the package for $325 million, an increase of $175 million from its 2002-06 deal."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...s.ap/index.html

Comcast (Berkeley, CA)
leftjab is offline  
post #103 of 1796 Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Member
 
LOEWE Groova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
I'll believe it when I read it as confirmed. Anyone who follows the TV business knows it's very hard to get people paying for a product when they are used to not doing so for years.

The reports are not well worded. The MLS package is attached to the deal because SUM had already secured "negotiating rights" for future Cups. Their package is a kind of guaranteed rider on the deal. If NBC or Fox had won the negotiations they would have had to pay for MLS package also. It was a rather genius deal and may pave the way for MLS games to return to Univision as well.

On another note, a friend of mine who works for FIFA returned from a fact finding mission to S. Africa with VERY discouraging words about them being ready to host a World Cup in 4 years time. Apparently poverty and crime there have been WAY understated. He believes strongly that 2010 will end up HERE in a manner similar to the 2003 Women's WC. So the rights to those games may end up being a profound bargain.

On STILL another note, the USA is playing Scotland in Glasgow (Hampden Park) a week from Saturday (FoxSoccerChannel 11am EST).
LOEWE Groova is offline  
post #104 of 1796 Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOEWE Groova
On another note, a friend of mine who works for FIFA returned from a fact finding mission to S. Africa with VERY discouraging words about them being ready to host a World Cup in 4 years time. Apparently poverty and crime there have been WAY understated. He believes strongly that 2010 will end up HERE in a manner similar to the 2003 Women's WC. So the rights to those games may end up being a profound bargain.
That would be AWESOME!!

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!


My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #105 of 1796 Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cucuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftjab
the businessonline figures are wrong. It's $325 m from univision, and $100 from ABC/Disney, according to every other on-line source I've read:
That's what I was wondering about too. I knew from past WC agreements in the US that spanish language rights for the wrold cup were more expensive than enligsh rights but did not look into it. Thanks for clarifying now the numbers make sense
Cucuy is offline  
post #106 of 1796 Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
roachxp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MILFORD, MA
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thats why I wished FOX had won the rights at least they would have used Motty, or another Sky commentator from their sister company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOEWE Groova
On another note, a friend of mine who works for FIFA returned from a fact finding mission to S. Africa with VERY discouraging words about them being ready to host a World Cup in 4 years time. Apparently poverty and crime there have been WAY understated. He believes strongly that 2010 will end up HERE in a manner similar to the 2003 Women's WC. So the rights to those games may end up being a profound bargain.
If FIFA does decided to move it I think they would pick Portugal or Germany they would be the countries with new facilities that meet FIFA standards and have good security measures in place.
The player already complained last WC in the USA there is too much travel between matches especially cross country matches. If it did come to the US, NY would not even have a stadium that meets FIFA standard "Meadowlands :rolleyes: " what a dump.
roachxp is offline  
post #107 of 1796 Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 4,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp
Thats why I wished FOX had won the rights at least they would have used Motty, or another Sky commentator from their sister company.



If FIFA does decided to move it I think they would pick Portugal or Germany they would be the countries with new facilities that meet FIFA standards and have good security measures in place.
The player already complained last WC in the USA there is too much travel between matches especially cross country matches. If it did come to the US, NY would not even have a stadium that meets FIFA standard "Meadowlands :rolleyes: " what a dump.

No it won't go to Germany beacuse they host 2006 WC. Europe will be out of the question as FIFA wants rotate WC between different continents. I can tell you that FIFA likes US as there is no other country with so many excellent stadiums that can host an event immediately. And what is the comment about Meadowlands. While it is not new, it is not a dump. Old Foxboro stadium that was a dump. Besides if you checked Giants and Jets will have a new stadium in 2008. It will be state of the art with retractable roof.
CKNA is offline  
post #108 of 1796 Old 11-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
auribe14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA
Besides if you checked Giants and Jets will have a new stadium in 2008. It will be state of the art with retractable roof.
That stadium was to be for the Jets only, and did not win on the ballot. It is still in the "hopeful" stage.
auribe14 is offline  
post #109 of 1796 Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 4,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auribe14
That stadium was to be for the Jets only, and did not win on the ballot. It is still in the "hopeful" stage.

What are you talking about?. Jets stadium in Manhattan is gone. It will not be there as NYC council disapproved it. Giants are building new stadium in Meadowlands and they invited Jets to co own it and they agreed. It will not be called Giants stadium anymore. Please check your facts before posting.
CKNA is offline  
post #110 of 1796 Old 11-05-2005, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp
Thats why I wished FOX had won the rights at least they would have used Motty, or another Sky commentator from their sister company.
Though if Fox had used a Sky commentator it would have been for Fox only. Sky have NO access to WC 2006 domestically - that is very much the domain of the BBC and ITV who are sharing it.

Quote:
If FIFA does decided to move it I think they would pick Portugal or Germany they would be the countries with new facilities that meet FIFA standards and have good security measures in place.
They couldn't chose Germany again could they? That would look terrible... Portugal possibly - though France could also be an option?

I think the UK would be out of the question, even with the new Wembley stadium, because of the 2012 Olympics in London.

Quote:
The player already complained last WC in the USA there is too much travel between matches especially cross country matches. If it did come to the US, NY would not even have a stadium that meets FIFA standard "Meadowlands :rolleyes: " what a dump.
Yes - I guess the US is "quite big" compared to other countries that might pitch for the gig if SA can't host it.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #111 of 1796 Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
bmwf1techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any guesses as to when we will see a broadcast schedule for the games? Just would be curious to see which games will be on which channel.
bmwf1techie is offline  
post #112 of 1796 Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Also - there is a possibility that the BBC will be showing their WC2006 matches in HD.

A BBC spokesperson, commenting on their announcement of a BBC One HD trial service on satellite, cable and OTA, starting in mid 2006 - suggested it was a distinct possibility, though not a certainty.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #113 of 1796 Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
roachxp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MILFORD, MA
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf1techie
Any guesses as to when we will see a broadcast schedule for the games? Just would be curious to see which games will be on which channel.
The WC06 group draw is next month so maybe by Jan 1st 06 the schedule should be out.
roachxp is offline  
post #114 of 1796 Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ReplayJanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm expecting a full TV schedule to be out by March 2006. Since the WC is in Europe again, the schedule should be close to the one for France 98. It's likely going to be about 10 games on ABC and something close to an even split between the ESPNs, with ESPN2 getting slightly more games this time because it has wider distribution than it did 98. This is from a ESPN press release:

Quote:
FIFA WORLD CUP HISTORY ON ABC SPORTS, ESPN AND ESPN2:
Men's World Cup Telecasts --
Germany 2006: ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC Sports - all 64 matches live in HD (planned)
Korea-Japan 2002: ESPN 24, ESPN2 34 and ABC Sports 6
France 1998: ESPN 27, ESPN2 23 and ABC Sports 14 - all 64 matches live
USA 1994: ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC Sports televised the 52-game competition
Mexico 1986: ESPN 15
Spain 1982: ABC Sports 1, ESPN 7
ReplayJanitor is offline  
post #115 of 1796 Old 11-10-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain
that's fantastic news! i'm very impressed, finally a use for espn and espn2 hd
You're OBVIOUSLY not a REAL football, what with the recent announcement of ABC's and ESPN's total coverage of all the bowl games in HD.

ROLL TIDE!!!

Wolfie
Wolfie is offline  
post #116 of 1796 Old 11-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
DougMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp
The WC06 group draw is next month so maybe by Jan 1st 06 the schedule should be out.
Well, after the draw you know when the games are. I mean by days, cause in a regular form normally the group with the presenter starts and all groups will follow then. The times will come out late May I guess, short before the event kicks off.

A new thing is that the Opening will be split from the Opening game. Germany made the Opener so big that they decided to make it a two-parter. As I know the Opener is Thurdays (or Friday) and the german Team will kick off the WC Friday (or Saturday). It`s the first time that they split it.

DougMan
DougMan is offline  
post #117 of 1796 Old 11-10-2005, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ReplayJanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Two games in the first day. opening game kicks off (Germany vs ???) in Munich on Friday, June 9th @ 12 PM Eastern, probably on ESPN or ABC. Other game in group A to follow at 3 PM.

Actually, all of the kick off times are set. The first and second rounds of group games will be on at 9 AM, 12 PM, 3 PM (EST), with three games per day (except for opening day) and will be in sequence group A, B, C... so on. For the third round of group play, simultaneous kick-off for each group's games at 10 AM and 3 PM, two groups per day. Once the playoffs start, all games are at 11 AM or 3 PM. The kick-off times might be changed, but not likely.

The US will play on a weekend for sure, unless they're drawn into group A, H, or G. So that's a pretty good chance they'll have a game on ABC.

What I'm wondering is if ESPN will have a daily highlights show for each day like they did in 2002, except this time be HD. *licks lips*
ReplayJanitor is offline  
post #118 of 1796 Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOEWE Groova
On another note, a friend of mine who works for FIFA returned from a fact finding mission to S. Africa with VERY discouraging words about them being ready to host a World Cup in 4 years time. Apparently poverty and crime there have been WAY understated. He believes strongly that 2010 will end up HERE in a manner similar to the 2003 Women's WC. So the rights to those games may end up being a profound bargain
I've felt that way for a long time based on what I've read over time. I really hope it's true. Another World Cup, when the US should be playing its' best would be the best opportunity this country will have to grow the game.
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #119 of 1796 Old 11-11-2005, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA
No it won't go to Germany beacuse they host 2006 WC. Europe will be out of the question as FIFA wants rotate WC between different continents. I can tell you that FIFA likes US as there is no other country with so many excellent stadiums that can host an event immediately. And what is the comment about Meadowlands. While it is not new, it is not a dump. Old Foxboro stadium that was a dump. Besides if you checked Giants and Jets will have a new stadium in 2008. It will be state of the art with retractable roof.
World Cup 1994 was the profitable ever.
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #120 of 1796 Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayJanitor
The US will play on a weekend for sure, unless they're drawn into group A, H, or G. So that's a pretty good chance they'll have a game on ABC.
I would argue that the US is guaranteed to play on ABC. Ratings and ad revenue for the World Cup will be more profitable than the soap operas and morning shows they will pre-empt.
SnakeEyes is offline  
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off