World Cup 2006 In HDTV on ABC, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD - All 64 games! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1796 Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of Soccer world cup, it's UNFAIR to allow UK have 4 teams to compete for the qualification. Don't say that's tradition, if so, at least Germany should have 2 teams also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1796 Old 01-05-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywst
Speaking of Soccer world cup, it's UNFAIR to allow UK have 4 teams to compete for the qualification. Don't say that's tradition, if so, at least Germany should have 2 teams also.
Interesting. I never thought about this. I guess that FIFA has four different Federations from the UK affiliated to them and they were affiliated before the UK was formed as what is known today.

Just to take England and Northern Ireland as example:

England affiliated to FIFA - 1905
Northern Ireland affiliated to FIFA - 1911

UK as known today - 1927

Sources:
http://www.fifa.com/en/organisation/...ountrycode=ENG
http://www.fifa.com/en/organisation/...ountrycode=NIR
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/uk.html
post #183 of 1796 Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But, Germany did have two teams--during the Cold War that is, and what about the former Soviet republics, the French territories? American Samoa, Guam? There's a similar debate with the Olympics, with the Koreas forming a united team--which seems to be a better deal--get all the best on one team.

While in International Relations classes, in college, someone noted that you should use FIFA to get world peace since they have more member nations than the UN;)

erik g
post #184 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson
But, Germany did have two teams--during the Cold War that is, and what about the former Soviet republics, the French territories? American Samoa, Guam? There's a similar debate with the Olympics, with the Koreas forming a united team--which seems to be a better deal--get all the best on one team.

While in International Relations classes, in college, someone noted that you should use FIFA to get world peace since they have more member nations than the UN;)
Each country has their own team, Germany had 2 teams when there were 2 countries. Both Koreas used to have their own teams. All the former Soviet republics that became independent have their own teams now(the Ukraine e.g. is in group H). Same goes for the Czech Republic (Slovakia almost made it as well)

But normally regions or states etc. don't have their own team, with the UK being an exception to this rule. Also note that the 4 UK FIFA members have their own individual leagues as well. The reason for this is mainly historic, and nobody intends to modify this.
post #185 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Guam and American Samoa do field their own "national" teams, even though both are American territories.

Guam is part of the Asian Confederation while American Samoa is part of Oceania.

Incidentally, Guam had to withdraw early from 2006 WCQ due to lack of funds. Football, baseball and basketball are more popular than soccer on the island. Sound familiar?
post #186 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The rule is made by FIFA. And I just think each COUNTRY/government should only have ONE team.
When Germany had 2 teams, they had 2 legal governments.
With all due respect, I don't think we will see Guam can grab one seat for the world cup final in our lifetime. But it's possible that 3 out of those 4 UK teams are qualified. That's unfair. And I am surprised no countries complain about this.
post #187 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamster
Guam and American Samoa do field their own "national" teams, even though both are American territories.

Guam is part of the Asian Confederation while American Samoa is part of Oceania.

Incidentally, Guam had to withdraw early from 2006 WCQ due to lack of funds. Football, baseball and basketball are more popular than soccer on the island. Sound familiar?
I believe even Puerto Rico has its own soccer federation. I seem to remember Chris Armas has some issues when he came on the US team because of playing in some sort of game for Puerto Rico.
post #188 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck1
I still hear the English media bemoan the 'hand of God' every 4 years the World Cup shows up, yet they relish the "Korean Miracle" that took place in 2004, even though the "Korean miracle" occured at the expense of Portugal, Italy, and Spain where the Koreans were "miraculous" enough to experience the most fortuitious referreing an internional side has ever received in the World Cup in 3 consecutive games (The spanish game, with their 2 disallowed goals including an overtime goal, was a particular travesty). I believe in miracles, but miracles can also be paid for in $$$ and as much as I love soccer, it has been tainted before by $$$ affecting the outcome of matches...
Ahhh, where do I begin. I don't know you so I hate to just aim the debunk gun right at your head, but as a Yank who was in the house for all the USA games and 3 of the Korea games, the Koreans were given very little. They got a handful of the kind of calls that teams with overwhelming home support get from refs in most all sports. As a 2nd gen. Italian who was wearing my '98 azzurri top in the upper deck, the Italians got EXACTLY what they deserved. I have never been so embarrassed to be a supporter of my 2nd favorite team. They played to never do more than punk out a team from what they believed to be an athletically inferior race. Alot of what they were doing never made it on to camera, shoves in the back, elbows on every 50-50 jump ball... Vieri, Materazzi, and Totti were basically daring the refs to whistle them for dirty play and joking about it during dead balls.
Their penalty was 100% deserved and once Ahn missed it and they had a goal, they played as if it was in the book and tried to inflict as much damage as possible. But the realists among the tifosi in the stands knew that they were whistling through the graveyard. The pregame unveiling by the red devil K supporters of the 1966 banner and the thunderous noise it evoked really got in the Italians' collective head. The overtly aggro style doesn't suit them, and its intended effect of scaring the koreans only enraged them. Italy could have well gone home the winner if they had played their patient countering game, but showing respect to a quality opponent from that part of the world was out of the question. What went on to happen, (I'm in korea right now and just saw a replay of Totti's red card) was that Totti created the contact. He swung his leg into the path of the defender and toppled. He had ZERO intention of completing the play and wanted the easy way out, expecting the ref to play along. To his and all of Italy's surprise, the ref richly rewarded his cumulative cowardly play and sent him packing. While not quite a dive, the contact was not initiated by the defender, and as Totti was carrying a yellow for an equally deserved foul, the choice was clear.

The thing I find so ironic about the Italian reaction to this call, is that it doesn't account at all for how the koreans tied the game to get it into golden goal OT in the first place; via a run of play goal with Italy playing 10 behind the ball catenaccio. The vaunted Italian defense FAILED to hold. The ref had nothing to with that. OR with how Korea won the game... on a beautiful play by Ahn off a dead ball... why was he SO OPEN, UNMARKED at such a crucial time??? Don't think the ref made that play for Korea, but then, if you can acknowledge that they play an AMAZING game both fluid and fast, if not pretty, certainly unified. The crowd was the single most inspirational, religiously devout dynamic force of will I have ever experienced at a soccer game. They put the Mexicans in Azteca to shame. 50 years of korean energy to modernize and insure erasure of centuries of invasion and occupation and western disdain for their supposed lack of physical prowess soaked into every deafening roar of "Dae-Hun-Minguk!!!" You simply had to be there to get that. The Italians never had a chance.

And really never did the Spanish, and lets face it , the Spanish have always been woeful in the world cup. They were damn lucky to beat Ireland (I was l there too) and a poor coaches decision to let emotion overtake reason in his penalty shot choices cost Ireland the game. The worst call of this game occurred 5 minutes in, when an atrocious two footed tackle from behind by I believe Guti, but not sure, went unpunished. It was a straight red and one of the worst no calls of the entire tourney. Right then and there Spain was living on borrowed time. But this distracts from a very important point. You stated that two spanish goals were disallowed. Factually incorrect. No goal can be scored when play has been blown dead. Neither of the goals occurred during live play. BOTH came several seconds after the referee had blown the whistle for play to stop. One in particular, was a ball that was ruled to have crossed the endline. The whistle blows, but Spain keeps playing as another pass and then a shot follow the whistle. I don't have immediate recall of both plays, but on this one the koreans stopped playing, and the goalkeeper did not keep his position. A ball that goes into the net after play has been stopped is no goal, and certainly not a disallowed one. The judgement of the referee and his linesman was poor, the call was proven to be a bad one, but, once play is ruled dead... its dead. Nothing that happens after matters. A goal must come during live play to be disallowed. This point is very important, because the ref's decision that the ball went across the line was in error, but seems highly unlikely to have been orchestrated to "throw" the game to the koreans, because when he ruled play dead Spain was threatening, but recquired the koreans to relax from the whistled stoppage to actually put the ball in the net.
And once again, Spain played a miserable game, at least as poor as against Ireland. Like Italy they seemed to believe their passage to the next round was assurred simply by playing an inferior Asian side with little or no experience at this stage of the world cup. They found out the hard ay as well.

Lastly if bribery was the only way the Koreans were able to go so far, why stop at the semi-final? Surely, there was K-money available to put them in a place they so desperately wanted to reach.... The world cup final on the soil of their most bitter rival - Japan. Don't you think they would have gladly paid a trillion won to heap such great embarrassment on their former colonial tormentors. Could it be that unlike their snobbish euro brethren, the germans used good ol' hessian efficiency to play patiently and respectfully of the koreans strengths, and even used their hustle against them by spreading the game and making the Koreans run and chase after two straight power draining extra time death marches in a row.
Bribery has no point if it isn't carried out to enact the end game.

Anyway sorry for the length and exposition of the post. We are at a turning point in the world game. Europe and S.A. held the last century, but this one is already showing the marked advancement of the other continents. 4 of the Final 8 in 2002 were non-euros, when was the last time THAT happened? I think never. Easier for the old guard to make excuses than to allow for the unthinkable truth...
The current coach of germany said the USA lost to them because of Donovan forsaking the euro game (yeah, had nothing to do with Hugh effing Dallas ignoring a clear red card hand ball to keep a ball out of the goal!
But us Yanks don't cry... we MULTIPLY!)

Beasley, Park, Essien, Eto, McBride, Marquez, and a dab of Iranians and Aussies are coming and they aren't afraid of playing in the land of the giants. How much longer will they be able to say they were tired or we cheated. I think 5 more months is about right :-)
post #189 of 1796 Old 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
one thing a lot of folks may not be too aware of.

The same network that carrys the World Cup (in the uS) also has the super Bowl.

My question is will there be aNY World Cup promotions during the Super Bowl?
I can see it now "One football champoinship deserves another." A shot of Vinateri kicking another field goal going into a Soccor kickoff.
post #190 of 1796 Old 01-08-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
The rule is made by FIFA. And I just think each COUNTRY/government should only have ONE team.
When Germany had 2 teams, they had 2 legal governments.
With all due respect, I don't think we will see Guam can grab one seat for the world cup final in our lifetime. But it's possible that 3 out of those 4 UK teams are qualified. That's unfair. And I am surprised no countries complain about this.
Though I should point out that Scotland now has its own parliament... (Though there are also still Scottish MPs in Westminster, there are now also MSPs in Edinburgh) - and Wales and Northern Ireland are increasingly independent (though less so than Scotland)

You don't even want to begin to start the Ireland thing off either...

The "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" + "Republic of Ireland" vs England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales national teams is an ongoing issue. (I believe that it is historically a big issue in Olympic Football - though I'm no sports expert) However I don't see the UK and Ireland forming one football team - as they do with the British and Irish Lions in Rugby...
post #191 of 1796 Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I think the difference is that the UK, although united for many centuries, has always retained a very strong sense of nationhood within Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, whereas East vs West Germany was a short-lived political split, and once the political divide was removed, re-unification followed, albeit with different national boundaries around the edges compared to pre-war "Germany".

If you ask people in Scotland, Ireland or Wales which country they come from - they will almost always say Scotland, Ireland or Wales - not Britain or the UK. If I am asked I would say I was English - not British - though this is less common, as the English identity is more diffuse vs a British sense of nationhood.

This is quite difficult to explain to people who see "the UK" as a single country - those of us who live in it kind of accept that it isn't really that simple. After all - Scotland even has different money!
post #192 of 1796 Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck1
You know I always here the stereo-type that European players dive a lot.
While this may be true in some league play, I notice that at the international level very few of the Western-European teams dive, and Italy is definietely one of the teams that doesn't deserve its diving reputation on an international level (although it is true that in Seria A there is a lot of diving but last time I looked the best Italian teams also feature plenty of international players,...).

On the other hand, South American and Central American teams are chronic divers. I love the way Brazil plays an offensive style and they are the most attractive team in football but lets face it, the Brazilians are some of the most frequent divers in the footballing world.

Brazil often receives 'favourable referreing' because Fifa often encourages referee's to give attacking teams the 'benefit of the doubt' in order to encourage attacking football. Brazil is my favourite team to watch, and I often enjoy watching other south american and central american national team matchups but these teams are by far the largest divers in football.

Western European teams, in particular Italy, Spain, and France do not deserve their 'international' reputation as divers. Methinks this reputation has something to do with an English media that is jealous that in the case (of at least Italy and France) that they have had more success lately then England, the inventors of the game so the English media often likes to cut down the successful non-English teams.

I still hear the English media bemoan the 'hand of God' every 4 years the World Cup shows up, yet they relish the "Korean Miracle" that took place in 2004, even though the "Korean miracle" occured at the expense of Portugal, Italy, and Spain where the Koreans were "miraculous" enough to experience the most fortuitious referreing an internional side has ever received in the World Cup in 3 consecutive games (The spanish game, with their 2 disallowed goals including an overtime goal, was a particular travesty). I believe in miracles, but miracles can also be paid for in $$$ and as much as I love soccer, it has been tainted before by $$$ affecting the outcome of matches...

And for you American soccer fans, nothing beats a trip down to a Central US or South American country for a football match where the players can often be seen performing more successful dives then some US olympic pool athletes and the dubious referring that can occur in these venues (where tens of thousdands of rabid fans scarying the bejusus out of the refs) often leaves a rancid taste in one's mouth that teams would attempt to win in such a manner.

I am filled with pride that American and Canadian soccer players (on the international level) rarely exhibit such poor sportmanship. That is why I'll be cheering for the red/white/blue in '06 and secretly I would't mind if they beat the Brazilians (as long as the world cup final isn't a borefest like it was in 2002).

JC
Excellent post!

Oh, and I can't believe WC06 in HD! Heaven!

Banned from the pub
post #193 of 1796 Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Um, Scotland, England, Wales, and Ireland (the northern conquered part) are 4 seperate COUNTRIES.

Germany was split in half artifically during World War II, and is now reunited as ONE country.

Mayhaps you should take some history lessons?
post #194 of 1796 Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOEWE Groova
Lastly if bribery was the only way the Koreans were able to go so far, why stop at the semi-final? Surely, there was K-money available to put them in a place they so desperately wanted to reach.... The world cup final on the soil of their most bitter rival - Japan. Don't you think they would have gladly paid a trillion won to heap such great embarrassment on their former colonial tormentors. Could it be that unlike their snobbish euro brethren, the germans used good ol' hessian efficiency to play patiently and respectfully of the koreans strengths, and even used their hustle against them by spreading the game and making the Koreans run and chase after two straight power draining extra time death marches in a row.
Bribery has no point if it isn't carried out to enact the end game.
Well actually I don't think the intent was for Korea to "Bribe their way" to the final.
In fact, in the Germany-Korea game (where a conspicious eye was starting to finally be put on the referreing in a Korea game) it seemed that the Germans actually had more fortuitous refereeing. But there is a different between fortitutous refereeing and the BS that Korea oponnents (Portugal, Italy, and in particular Spain) faced in 3 straight games.

For monetary reasons, it was VERY important that FIFA had one of the Asian teams experience success (like it was important for US to have success in 94) to expand Fifa's market.
It's not unheard of for the home team to get calls in these tournaments to help them get into the 2nd round. Italy got a crucial call against the Czechs in 1990 (round robin), the US seemed to earn their way in 94, France had a number of calls in '98, and well, Korea set the bar REAL high for what kind of calls home teams can get along the way.

I agree with you about the Italians, they should show some class and play an offensive style. If they had played a more offensive style and respected the Koreans they most likely would have won.
But if I do remember correctly the Italians had like 4 goals ruled offsides in the round robin that were CLEARLY goals. (the referreeing in general was poor regarding offsides for all teams, but a few of the Italian goals that were ruled offsides weren't 'borderline' calls).

The Spanish were lucky to beat Ireland, but they were an offensive force in the first round and scored the MOST goals of ANY TEAM in the first round. Brazil got lucky in a couple games as well but everyone needs luck to win... In fact (let me reinforce I am not a Spanish fan) had Spain beat Korea, with all respects to Germany, Spain seemed like the most dangerous team on that side of the draw.

There is a big difference between 'luck' and what happened to Korea. I have NEVER seen that kind of refereeing go towards a team in 3 straight games in such a large tournament. The last bit of BS I saw in a world cup dates back over 30 years (where a former Brazilian player of that team even admitted they had bribed the refs). Those commentators who could put their excitement for the 'underdogs' aside and could more critically analyze those 3 games would have seen that it was obviously so...

Then it turns out a year later that the head of the Korean sports federation who played an instrumental role in getting the world cup was implicated in different bribery charges.

Then it's found out that the ref of the Italian-Korea game seemed to be bribed in one of the domestic matches of the South American league he was working in (again, I say the biggest travesty was the Spain-Korea match, but Italy had a number of legitmate goals called offsides, then came the Korea match).
Funny thing is that ref then ran for mayor for the side he helped in the match the following year. If you think I am kidding do a bit of google search and find out for yourself.

Poor Japanese team never got those kind of calls, if they did who knows how they would have did....

Listen, I love soccer / European football but sometimes the sport does get tainted but those that love the game tend to ignore some of the things that go on.

As an American, you have realized that first hand with the ******** that sometimes goes on when the Americans play a qualitying game in South or Central America and the referees at times are just approcious (Who can blame then with projectiles often being hurled their way and their safety seems anything but guaranteed). I remember when Canada was playing in Azteca that the players were being hit with condoms filled with piss. Yet in Europe a game is called off when a coin hits someone on the field ....
post #195 of 1796 Old 01-15-2006, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish I were going to be able to see this in HD.
post #196 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
127 days to go...not that anyone's counting or anything.... :D

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #197 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 AM

You can find out the WC schedule for the games on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD by going to the following link:

http://intltv.espn.com/schedules/spo....jsp?Wizard=37

Choose "World Cup" in the top box at that link and ESPN or ESPN2 in the second box, then change the start and end dates to June 1 and June 30 respectively at the bottom.

Here is the schedule for U.S. games on the ESPN networks:

ESPN:

06-18-2006 03:00 am 05:00 am 2006 FIFA World Cup
Italy vs. United States at Fritz-Walter-Stadion Kaiserslautern, Germany
Description : World Cup Soccer (Re-broadcast, live on ABC?)

06-22-2006 09:55 am 12:00 pm 2006 FIFA World CupFirst Round
Ghana vs. United States at Frankenstadion Nuremberg, Germany
Description : World Cup Soccer (live)

ESPN2:

06-12-2006 11:55 am 02:00 pm 2006 FIFA World CupFirst Round
United States vs. Czech Republic at Arena Aufschalke Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Description : World Cup Soccer (live)

06-12-2006 10:00 pm 12:00 am 2006 FIFA World CupFirst Round
United States vs. Czech Republic at Arena Aufschalke Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Description : World Cup Soccer (Re-broadcast)

06-23-2006 01:30 am 03:30 am 2006 FIFA World CupFirst Round
Ghana vs. United States at Frankenstadion Nuremberg, Germany
Description : World Cup Soccer (Re-broadcast)

"Live" and Re-broadcast" notes are mine.

We can probably assume that the following first round games will be on ABCHD since they do not appear on either ESPN network:

6/10-England vs Paraguay
6/10-Trinidad vs Sweden
6/11-Mexico vs Iran
6/17-Italy vs USA
6/17-Czech Republic vs Ghana
6/18-Brazil vs Australia
6/18-Japan vs Croatia
6/19-France vs South Korea

Thanks to my friends from BigSoccer.com.
post #198 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
You can find out the WC schedule for the games on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD by going to the following link:

http://intltv.espn.com/schedules/spo....jsp?Wizard=37

Choose "World Cup" in the top box at that link and ESPN or ESPN2 in the second box, then change the start and end dates to June 1 and June 30 respectively at the bottom.

Here is the schedule for U.S. games on the ESPN networks:
Big Thanks for the link. I was looking for this data so that I can decide whether I need to get ESPN2HD(E*) or not. Currently I only get ABCHD and ESPNHD. I am surprised that they will show one quarterfinal game on ESPN2HD. No mention of whether any of the games will be live/SDD/etc.
post #199 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc
127 days to go...not that anyone's counting or anything.... :D
I watched USA, Coming of Age Monday. Got me all hyped.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #200 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I think all games listed will be live, except the ones with white backgrounds.

Italy vs United States will be live on ABC in HD. There is a repeat showing late that night on ESPN, but there is no telling if the repeats will be in High-Def, too.

World Cup 2Night will be on ESPN nearly every night and on ESPN2 before/after some games. It seems to me that this show should be produced in HD, if they use the same studios as they will use at half time during the games.
post #201 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I thought EVERY USA game was supposed to be on ABC!

My bugig question is will there be any mention oif THIS football champoinship during the "other" football championship this Sunday?
post #202 of 1796 Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

How do we know the Italy game will be on ABC?
post #203 of 1796 Old 02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought 8 Hitachi 250 gb ($89 each) to archive ALL the games. Hopefully I dont have to use all of them.
post #204 of 1796 Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
How do we know the Italy game will be on ABC?
All 64 WC games will be broadcast on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 and the US-Italy game is not listed on ESPN or ESPN2. Therefore assuming that the ESPN schedules are complete, US-Italy must be on ABC. BTW, that game is on June 17, which is a Saturday. It appears that ABC will be used mainly for the weekend games, at least for the first round.
post #205 of 1796 Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon
I bought 8 Hitachi 250 gb ($89 each) to archive ALL the games. Hopefully I dont have to use all of them.
Same here I bought 4 500gb ones for the 64 games, pre & post games highlight shows.
post #206 of 1796 Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon
Wow! 2 TB ought to be enough! If 1 hour of HD is 10 GB, each game is about 2 hours = 20 GB. You can fit 12 games in each 250 GB drive... I think you're covered. Are you just going to connect the drive to your cable box's firewire?

In 2002 I recorded all 8 games starting from the quarterfinals on VHS (4 years ago, didn't even have a DVR). I must admit that I've never watched any of those recordings... don't have a VCR, anymore. This year I'll pick only a few games, after watching them, and at least try to get a down-rezzed widescreen 480p DVD out of them.
post #207 of 1796 Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Can I ask how you guys are planning on recording the games on ESPN and ESPN2? Are you going to transfer them from a HDTivo-type device to your PC? Or are you going to just record them via a PCI-HDTV card? I'd like to get a PCI-HD tuner card, but I believe my cable company (Charter) encrypts the signal so I wouldn't be able to just tune into ESPN with a PCI-tuner card.

Edit: From searching around, it doesn't seem like any cable system would allow a PCI card to tune premium channels like ESPN. So the only other option would be to record to a D-VHS player and then transfer?
post #208 of 1796 Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All 64 WC games will be broadcast on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 and the US-Italy game is not listed on ESPN or ESPN2. Therefore assuming that the ESPN schedules are complete, US-Italy must be on ABC. BTW, that game is on June 17, which is a Saturday. It appears that ABC will be used mainly for the weekend games, at least for the first round.
If the USA does well vs Czech and Italy then I suspect vs Ghana gets moved to ABC this time around. After WC 02, an ABC exec said internally there was strong talk of moving vs Mexico and vs Germany to ABC and he thought they should have. They sorta did with vs Germany when at 9am ET they switched from GMA to the ESPN broadcast and simulcasted the last 15 minutes.
post #209 of 1796 Old 02-04-2006, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitTRL1000
Can I ask how you guys are planning on recording the games on ESPN and ESPN2? Are you going to transfer them from a HDTivo-type device to your PC? Or are you going to just record them via a PCI-HDTV card? I'd like to get a PCI-HD tuner card, but I believe my cable company (Charter) encrypts the signal so I wouldn't be able to just tune into ESPN with a PCI-tuner card.

Edit: From searching around, it doesn't seem like any cable system would allow a PCI card to tune premium channels like ESPN. So the only other option would be to record to a D-VHS player and then transfer?
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/home.htm

:D
post #210 of 1796 Old 02-05-2006, 03:02 AM

where is ESPN 2 HD on comcast?
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page