Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found on HDBeat.com

http://www.hdbeat.com/2005/08/18/oln...and-carry-nhl/

OLN HD to launch in October and carry NHL
Posted Aug 18, 2005, 2:43 PM ET by Kevin C. Tofel
Filed under: Deals, News, Programming

We indicated earlier this month that Comcast was working with the NHL to carry games in HD. Looks like it's a done deal and will coincide with the launch of OLN's new HD channel, aptly named "OLN HD". OLN will carry at least 58 regular season hockey games nationwide, with most games on Mondays and Tuesdays. Watch for the first face-off on October 5th, when OLN broadcasts the Rangers vs. the Flyers.

I'm glad to see another HD channel, but I'm curious about a few things. What happens to the "NHL Center Ice" premium package that some providers used to offer? This package was comprised of numerous PPV (Pay Per View) channels that carried 1,100 hockey games each season. How will local blackout rules apply to the new OLN coverage?

Gee, just when we get hockey back, I get the funny feeling I still won't get to watch the local team, especially in HD. I do receive OLN on my Dish Network feed, but what are the odds that OLN HD will get picked up by a non-Comcast provider?

gamertag: cosmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yay more HD!! Not that big of a hockey fan, but I'd love to watch some in HD.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if OLN-HD will be a simulcast of OLN or a totally different channel?
post #4 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Its a very guarded yay for me. It might only show up on Comcast and maybe some cable operations that show INHD. So until its a national available channel on satellite, its wait and see for me.

The Meaning of Life...Well there's nothing really special...Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace...
post #5 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For the HUNDREDTH time, that is OLN HD Video on Demand -- not a full time OLN HD channel.

You should probably edit the title of this thread so even more people don't get confused.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
For the HUNDREDTH time, that is OLN HD Video on Demand -- not a full time OLN HD channel.

You should probably edit the title of this thread so even more people don't get confused.
So you are absolutely positive there will be no OLN HD channel?

PS - that's why I put question marks in the title - still unconfirmed either way.

post #7 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271
So you are absolutely positive there will be no OLN HD channel?

PS - that's why I put question marks in the title - still unconfirmed either way.
No, I'm not positive. But the OLN link from the HD Beat link you provided is to the OLN HD Video on Demand site.

The HD Beat writer mis-read the OLN page.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
No, I'm not positive. But the OLN link from the HD Beat link you provided is to the OLN HD Video on Demand site.

The HD Beat writer mis-read the OLN page.
Indeed. I must say, if only on VOD - pretty retarded to pay NHL rights and then show only HD on VOD in lieu of live.

post #9 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271
Indeed. I must say, if only on VOD - pretty retarded to pay NHL rights and then show only HD on VOD in lieu of live.
Comcast is saying they will provide an HD feed of at least some of the games. These games will probably appear on INHD1 and or INHD2 on Comcast systems. DirecTv could put them on a "special events" HD channel.

I'm sure Comcast will EVENTUALLY launch a full-time OLD HD channel -- but it will probably take a while.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-19-2005, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
If I were running either DirecTV or Dish, I wouldn't add any Comcast NHL channel until and unless Comcast RSNs were made available to me (at the very least for the out of market packages) and InHD was also made available.
And until that time I would (by Oct. 1) move OLN off my basic package and stick it in the sports tier with the RSNs.
Let those who want it pay for it.
In DirecTV's case I might move The Golf Channel and perhaps Biography to my basic tier to compensate.
I am sure there is something similar Charlie can do.
I would deprive OLN of the 26+ million basic subs of E* and D* unless Comcast wants to play ball in other areas where it has been intransigent to date.
Comcast expects DirecTV to add all those homes (which it needs to avoid penalties to the NHL) and also pay more under a new contract for OLN.
It is time for DirecTV to play just the same kind of hardball that Brian Roberts seems to enjoy.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Some info to OLN Affiliates on OLN HD VOD:
http://www.olntvaffiliates.com/programming/vod.html

CapeFish

post #12 of 40 Old 08-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Is this going to be free
post #13 of 40 Old 08-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Good point Fred, it'd be peotic for DirTV and E* to do it around christmas,when OLN will be wanting higher fees.

Addicted to FP...
post #14 of 40 Old 08-20-2005, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
If I were running either DirecTV or Dish, I wouldn't add any Comcast NHL channel until and unless Comcast RSNs were made available to me (at the very least for the out of market packages) and InHD was also made available.
And until that time I would (by Oct. 1) move OLN off my basic package and stick it in the sports tier with the RSNs.
Let those who want it pay for it.
In DirecTV's case I might move The Golf Channel and perhaps Biography to my basic tier to compensate.
I am sure there is something similar Charlie can do.
I would deprive OLN of the 26+ million basic subs of E* and D* unless it wants to play ball in other areas where it has been intransigent to date.
Comcast expects DirecTV to add all those homes (which it needs to avoid penalties to the NHL) and also pay more under a new contract for OLN.
It is time for DirecTV to play just the same kind of hardball that Brian Roberts seems to enjoy.
I would love see take a stand with this issue and hopefully get Comcast Philly finally on D* along with the rest of the Comcast RSNs in HD. Shame on the NHL too for not looking past the bills and giving fans a fair oppurtunity to watch games. Instead they now are going to be caught up in a bitter fight between D* and Comcast that has already begun to gain more momentum.
post #15 of 40 Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

I recently read a article I believe at zap2it where they anounced the NHL and OLN deal and several others.The first thing to note is that the NHL made it part of the contract that evrey game must me made to Sat companies and they can't do any of there INHD type of stuff. Also I read from another article from a few weeks ago talking about how Comcast wanted to turn OLN into a serouis rival to ESPN. So I'd say the chances are very good we will be getting a OLN HD channel pretty fast even if you have D* or E*.

Fredfa-"I agree with generalpatton78 "
post #16 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 129
An OLH HD channel is in the works but I would not expect to see it until some time in 2006. There is nothing preventing the NHL games from being shown on INHD provided that they are offered to DBS also which D* and E* can offer on a special events channel.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 08:42 AM

Here's a response I just received today regarding a query as to what HD NHL programming will be available to DIRECTV subscribers:

"Thanks for your interest in the NHL on DIRECTV. The NHL recently announced a multi-year agreement that will make OLN (formerly The Outdoor Life Network) the new national television home for the NHL. Under the terms of the agreement, OLN will show at least 58 games during the 2005-2006 regular season, as well as the NHL All-Star Game and coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

While a schedule of games is not yet available, OLN is available on DIRECTV channel 608 and is included in any TOTAL CHOICE base package. Games available on OLN will not be available as a part of our NHL Center Ice sports subscription.

I don't have any information on NHL games being broadcast in HD. Please stay tuned to DirecTV for more information on the upcoming NHL game season.

Thanks again for writing. We hope you enjoy the upcoming hockey season.

Sincerely,

Christina
DIRECTV Customer Service"
post #18 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 AM

I have never been a hockey fan, but I would like to watch a game in HD. I just hope that the changes to the rules of the game will not ruin the game.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
OLN HD is on INHD, at the minimum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #20 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolowar
I have never been a hockey fan, but I would like to watch a game in HD. I just hope that the changes to the rules of the game will not ruin the game.
I think most hockey fans agree the new rules can only be good, and maybe didn't even go far enough.
post #21 of 40 Old 08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait to see how OLN will cover the NHL. I hope the OLN HD service finds its way onto Dish Network so I can enjoy the most amount of NHL HD action possible.

OLN will also be doing a studio show...hopefully in HD.

CapeFish

post #22 of 40 Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 317
From MediaWeek

OLN NHL Move May Cause Feud With MSOs
August 22, 2005
By Anthony Crupi

OLN’s pickup of the NHL cable rights could engender yet another war between a cable operator and a network.

According to a source close to the proceedings, NHL games will be blacked out in cable systems that relegate OLN to a digital sports tier, including all of Cablevision’s footprint and Cox Communications’ Phoenix system.

While 90 percent of OLN’s carriage is on standard analog tiers, the network is likely to use the threat of a blackout in order to win total analog carriage, which would significantly boost its number of homes reached.
post #23 of 40 Old 08-22-2005, 09:50 AM

I subscribe to Service Electric Cable Vision in Birdsboro PA (Outside Philly) www.secv.com and we've had a OLN HD channel for at least the last month, but it might have been longer. I can't wait to see how good Hockey looks in HD (Didn't have HD before the strike).

EDIT - Nevermind the channel I'm thinking of is called "The outdoor Channel 2 HD" I could have swore I've seen OLN watermark while flipping through sometimes.

post #24 of 40 Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirgey
I subscribe to Service Electric Cable Vision in Birdsboro PA (Outside Philly) www.secv.com and we've had a OLN HD channel for at least the last month, but it might have been longer. I can't wait to see how good Hockey looks in HD (Didn't have HD before the strike).
No, you don't.

You have the Outdoor Channel HD - NOT OLN HD.

http://www.secv.com/cgi-bin/lineups_...=1&pack_type=D

There is no such thing currently (or announced) of a full-time Outdoor Life Network HD channel. OLN has only announced OLD HD Video on Demand.
post #25 of 40 Old 08-22-2005, 02:10 PM

I sent an email today to Mark Cuban asking him if HDnet would be televising the NHL this year. His answer was straight to the point; "yes".
post #26 of 40 Old 08-22-2005, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
I sent an email today to Mark Cuban asking him if HDnet would be televising the NHL this year. His answer was straight to the point; "yes".
WOW! Very nice.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #27 of 40 Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 AM

Just when you thought hockey was back, troubling news has surfaced for fans on Long Island and around the metro area.
Cablevision has 3 million subscribers, and if any of them were thinking of spending $4.95 a month for the digital sports tier that carries OLN, the channel that is replacing ESPN and ESPN2 for the NHL’s national cable telecasts this season, they can forget it. The puck stops here.
Why? Because OLN is on expanded basic digital service in 90 percent of its U.S. distribution of 64 million homes, but not in Cablevision households on Long Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Westchester and northern New Jersey.
So, in the latest twist in the wacky world of cable, even if you’re willing to pay to watch the NHL here, you can’t buy it.
“In markets where OLN is offered on a digital sports tier, which includes Cablevision, we are required through our contracts to black out the games,†an OLN spokesperson confirmed yesterday. “There will be alternative programming in that time slot.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...rts-columnists
post #28 of 40 Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
that's amazing- if OLN carries a NYC-area team, the local TV is blacked out AND OLN is blacked out if it's digital. the moneygrubbers somehow decided not to let customers of OLN digital see the game, for whatever reason.
post #29 of 40 Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
Just when you thought hockey was back, troubling news has surfaced for fans on Long Island and around the metro area.
Cablevision has 3 million subscribers, and if any of them were thinking of spending $4.95 a month for the digital sports tier that carries OLN, the channel that is replacing ESPN and ESPN2 for the NHL’s national cable telecasts this season, they can forget it. The puck stops here.
Why? Because OLN is on expanded basic digital service in 90 percent of its U.S. distribution of 64 million homes, but not in Cablevision households on Long Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Westchester and northern New Jersey.
So, in the latest twist in the wacky world of cable, even if you’re willing to pay to watch the NHL here, you can’t buy it.
“In markets where OLN is offered on a digital sports tier, which includes Cablevision, we are required through our contracts to black out the games,†an OLN spokesperson confirmed yesterday. “There will be alternative programming in that time slot.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...rts-columnists
You left out an important part,

"In markets where OLN is offered on a digital sports tier, which includes Cablevision, we are required through our contracts to black out the games," an OLN spokesperson confirmed yesterday. "There will be alternative programming in that time slot. We are working with our affiliates on the situation. We believe OLN should be included on expanded basic, not a sport tier."

You can lay the blame for this at Comcast's door. This is a ploy on Comcast's part to force carriage of OLN on the basic/expanded basic tiers of the cable companies Comcast provides OLN to. It's an effort by Comcast to increase viewership which is a critical part of the contract OLN has with the NHL.
post #30 of 40 Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
You left out an important part,

"In markets where OLN is offered on a digital sports tier, which includes Cablevision, we are required through our contracts to black out the games," an OLN spokesperson confirmed yesterday. "There will be alternative programming in that time slot. We are working with our affiliates on the situation. We believe OLN should be included on expanded basic, not a sport tier."

You can lay the blame for this at Comcast's door. This is a ploy on Comcast's part to force carriage of OLN on the basic/expanded basic tiers of the cable companies Comcast provides OLN to. It's an effort by Comcast to increase viewership which is a critical part of the contract OLN has with the NHL.
I don't care who gets the blame. I waited 5 years for Cablevision offer OLN so I could watch the Tour de France, they finally added it in April and I pay the $4.95/mo to get it. Now they get the NHL and they won't show me the games that I am willing to pay to get. Cablevision does not respond well to force, so unless the NHL steps in, I'm not expecting this to be resolved anytime soon.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page