Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2253 Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

This series just plain kicks ass. And I'm late to the party - I just started watching in the middle of season 2.

So, any guesses on the story of the new hunter with the demon-killing blade?

Dean will probably "DO HER" as usual! Your right this show does kick ass. I hope it stays on for years to come, but with the CW anything could happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2253 Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My wife and I caught up on the first three episodes of season three tonight. It sure seems like the show is back, and maybe even better than the excellent season two.

Some random observations:
  • The soundtrack for this season is different. Very few rock songs, instead they've added a generic rockin' blues track. I kind of miss the old classic rock element, although it's not vital to the show.
  • The show is as gory as ever. I can't believe what the censors are letting through (not that I mind).
  • The introduction of the new demon will keep things interesting. A whole new set of motives, and the solution for the Dean dilemma (hopefully).
  • The Ben character was a clever idea. Appearing to be a little Dean, we're not really sure at the end of the episode. I was kind of expecting the episode to be a motivation for Dean to try and get out of his deal. Maybe we'll see more of that in the future.
  • The colors seem to be turned up a little bit this season, not quite as muted as in the past.
  • Some very effective use of bass in certain episodes to add to that unnerving feeling. Gotta like that.
  • Does anybody else think Bobby won't make it through the end of the season?
It's a good start, and I'm not really worried that the show is going to lose its way. It seems like the creators have a good feel for what makes the show tick.

Scott

post #363 of 2253 Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul^G1138 View Post

I agree that it is definately one of the few shows out there that is still getting better rather than leveling out or struggling to maintain some freshness.
I like where they're going with the archs. It seems the brothers are now on the run from the underworld, FBI & now fellow hunters (even if they are 'nuts'). It's gonna get tricky for them to solve cases & keep their heads down.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and be controversial by saying that I think this season of Supernatural is actually better than season 2 of Heroes. By a long shot. It's more consistently written, keeps it's arc plots alive and pays attention to how they progress, and even though it's dealing with demons and magic is actually written more logically. And as we've seen hasn't been neutered for the kids.

Supernatural really started to come into it's own last season and I think it's one of the most underrated genre shows on TV right now. This season is really being helped by Jim BEaver being more regular, but the new characters they introduced last night were pretty good too. Very funny episode with some good action. I loved the scene with Dean exercising his good luck in the motel room.

post #364 of 2253 Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Heroes blows...it is so boring and the characters suck.

Please...never mention Heroes and Supernatural in the same sentence.
post #365 of 2253 Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

Heroes blows...it is so boring and the characters suck.

Please...never mention Heroes and Supernatural in the same sentence.

That's a bit harshly stated...but the sentiment is dead-on. Heroes has been a letdown this season...actually going back to the finale of the 1st season. I'm convinced they can turn it around though.

I watch Supernatural the day it airs (albeit DVRd and delayed), but Heroes can sit on my DVR all week lately and I only watch it out of obligation.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #366 of 2253 Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 AM

This may be old news, but I haven't seen it posted on this thread.
It's some 'major spoilerage' about a guest star in ep. 10.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.tv.com/users/psychoffspri...184355&print=1
"Scooby Doo" came to mind, or that episode when The Brady Bunch met Vincent Price, when the following news surfaced...

Sam and Dean Winchester are going to "fight" Jason Voorhees in the new season of "Supernatural."

"We have Jason from Friday the 13th, the character with the hockey mask," show creator Eric Kripke tells the "Supernatural" fanzine. "He shows up in episode 10. We have cleared the rights to actually use Jason. We have a twist on it so it is not really Jason out there but we have found an interesting way to bring him in so Sam and Dean fight Jason from Friday the 13th. In our world, that is a pretty cool guest star."

Okay, so Kripke talks in circles and who knows to what extent Jason's "cameo" is going to be. Regardless, set your TiVo, this is going to be an interesting mash-up.
post #367 of 2253 Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Tonights episode was great! Not much in the way of your typical hunt, but we got to see a little deeper into the 'evil?' Sam arch. I really liked the coversation between Dean & the 'hot' demon. His character is starting to get on edge...I think Bobby is too. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out.

Sam has his own fallen angel on his shoulder...hmm.
post #368 of 2253 Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM

The evolution of the show thru three seasons is interesting...

Season 1's focus on the whole 'urban legend' thing, carrying over into season 2 which confronted more mainstream legends like vampires, werewolves, djinni's, etc...now season 3 is playing out all the apocolyptic stuff with demons and wars and biblical dogma....

This show is a trip...
post #369 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Do you think Sam and Dean's Father could make an appearance this season? I mean did he escape Hell like the demons did?

I guess I'm trying to remember last season's finale and not quite remembering how he helped them with the yellow-eyed demon. Because of that is their Father done now? Well I guess they could write anything but do you think it's likely he will be back?

This show rocks, I hope it can continue after this season.
post #370 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post

Do you think Sam and Dean's Father could make an appearance this season? I mean did he escape Hell like the demons did?

I guess I'm trying to remember last season's finale and not quite remembering how he helped them with the yellow-eyed demon. Because of that is their Father done now? Well I guess they could write anything but do you think it's likely he will be back?

This show rocks, I hope it can continue after this season.

I'm not sure but I think he was absorbed in a warm light glow and went up (heaven?).
So they could introduce the fact that the other team is in on the fight and use the dad
as a messenger. It's a stretch but it'd be cool.
post #371 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul^G1138 View Post

So they could introduce the fact that the other team is in on the fight (...)

Have we seen any evidence of the other team?

Didn't one of the brothers say this week that he didn't believe in a god? I would think that with the evidence that Holy Water has an effect on demons would be enough to convince him...
post #372 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

Have we seen any evidence of the other team?

Didn't one of the brothers say this week that he didn't believe in a god? I would think that with the evidence that Holy Water has an effect on demons would be enough to convince him...

Though technically, you make Holy Water by chanting in Latin over it. It's not like you need God, an angel or even a priest to make water "Holy".
post #373 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Though technically, you make Holy Water by chanting in Latin over it.

I remember their dad making Holy Water last season...didn't he use a cross or a bible or something?
post #374 of 2253 Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

That's a bit harshly stated...but the sentiment is dead-on. Heroes has been a letdown this season...actually going back to the finale of the 1st season. I'm convinced they can turn it around though.

I watch Supernatural the day it airs (albeit DVRd and delayed), but Heroes can sit on my DVR all week lately and I only watch it out of obligation.

Same with me, but, I also have been leaving Smallville on my TiVo for quite a while too, just not that interesting (the conniving Lana was fun, but the tango of Lionel and Martha was the only saving grace).
As for Supernatural I guess I can relate to having a brother that occasionally gets on my nerves, not a gorgeous cousin
The last ep 'Sin City' had some obvious plot twists, but, it was interesting to get the patter between Dean and his 'prisoner', wasn't really sure who got the most out of the conversation. Also loved the patter between Bobby, with The Colt and the guys headin' out. The show always has good wit, a definite sign of its strength, that is if the writers don't strike.

erik g
post #375 of 2253 Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree on Smallville. I used to love that show but it has me barely even interested this season. I can't put my finger on it but I just don't seem to care anymore.

Supernatural on the other hand is my second favorite show after Dexter (very close second). On the comment about Sam and Dean's dad coming back from hell (or heaven?) this season, I would say surely he will be making an appearance in one form or another.
post #376 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Though technically, you make Holy Water by chanting in Latin over it. It's not like you need God, an angel or even a priest to make water "Holy".

and it doesn't need to be blessed by a Catholic. I'm sure demons would get damaged by any element that has been blessed in the name of any religious order that opposed them. We've already had Voodoo talismans being used in the same way.

So Dean doesn't need to believe in one interpretation of God when he's already seen that the powers of other religions have similar effects.

Even when researching demons Sam and Dean use interpretations from all religions and mythologies, so the only thing we can say for certain is that there are two sides. Good and Evil. Whether "God" is the leader on the side of Good is something Dean hasn't decided on yet. Just because he's seen evidence that holy relics fight evil doesn't automatically mean the Christian interpretation of God is the one.

post #377 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

and it doesn't need to be blessed by a Catholic. I'm sure demons would get damaged by any element that has been blessed in the name of any religious order that opposed them. We've already had Voodoo talismans being used in the same way.

I can understand why he wouldn't buy into one PARTICULAR religion, but after all he's seen, heard, and done, you'd think he'd believe in a HIGHER POWER.

Whether you call that higher power God, Yaweh, Allah, Buddha, Aditi...he has to know SOMETHING is out there that transcends the human plane of existence. He's seen the Dark, so you'd think he'd consider the existence of the Light. Just a thought, not trying to start an existential debate. :-)

post #378 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can understand why he wouldn't buy into one PARTICULAR religion, but after all he's seen, heard, and done, you'd think he'd believe in a HIGHER POWER.

Whether you call that higher power God, Yaweh, Allah, Buddha, Aditi...he has to know SOMETHING is out there that transcends the human plane of existence. He's seen the Dark, so you'd think he'd consider the existence of the Light. Just a thought, not trying to start an existential debate. :-)

But that doesn't mean it has to be a higher power. Dean's seen a force that acts against evil but we've never seen it to be the work of a single entity or even a group of deities. Just like "The Force" in Star Wars can be used to combat evil. It's not the creation or will of a single being, it's something that surrounds everything and can be tapped into. White magic to the demons Black magic.

post #379 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But that doesn't mean it has to be a higher power. Dean's seen a force that acts against evil but we've never seen it to be the work of a single entity or even a group of deities. Just like "The Force" in Star Wars can be used to combat evil. It's not the creation or will of a single being, it's something that surrounds everything and can be tapped into. White magic to the demons Black magic.

I didn't say he had to Believe, just consider. I understand all the arguments pro/con (this debate has raged far longer than Supernatural's 2.5 seasons lol).

post #380 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is why I watch Supernatural for its entertainment value, not its theology. It has exciting stories, great acting and a nice blend of humor and drama.

The major difficulty with looking too closely at the theology behind it all is that their definition of "evil" is subjective. Nature likes harmony. If there is hot, there is cold. It is a little difficult to define one extreme without the other. If there is "evil" then somewhere there is "good" otherwise "evil" has no meaning.

...but you can see where discussions like these can quickly go....which is why the forum has rules about discussing politics and religion.

Sam and Dean believe they are on a quest to rid the world of "evil". By definition, then they are on the side of "good". Yet they really don't know what "good" is, or whose side they are on. If good and evil are merely different sides of the same coin, they why is one judged as representing things that are "bad/unacceptable" while the other is judged as "good/acceptable"?

Unless there is some standard, then why aren't Sam and Dean considered "evil" since they are destroying an alternate lifeform's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?
post #381 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I didn't say he had to Believe, just consider. I understand all the arguments pro/con (this debate has raged far longer than Supernatural's 2.5 seasons lol).

If there's a higher power at work in the show it apparently isn't helping the Winchesters. All Dean has seen so far is everyone in his family getting killed and only hunters fighting for Good. Not much evidence of outside help for him to believe in.

Plus Dean doesn't really need to consider God and Heaven now. He knows where he's going, and he's got a short time to get there.

post #382 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Sam and Dean believe they are on a quest to rid the world of "evil". By definition, then they are on the side of "good". Yet they really don't know what "good" is, or whose side they are on.

Since we've encountered Hell's army but haven't seen any Angels yet, I'm half expecting a twist to be that Sam and Dean are "Angels." As in, soldiers of heaven.

post #383 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Plus Dean doesn't really need to consider God and Heaven now. He knows where he's going, and he's got a short time to get there.

So, in other words, he's going to do what they say can't be done?

Of course, doesn't he have to be driving either a Firebird or a truck with a stagecoach painted on the side ot do it? In his case, I would suspect the Firebird might be most appropriate - in more ways than one...
post #384 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, doesn't he have to be driving either a Firebird or a truck with a stagecoach painted on the side ot do it? In his case, I would suspect the Firebird might be most appropriate - in more ways than one...

So that makes Sam the Dog? :-)

post #385 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yep, he's going to get out of his deal with the smokey horned one!

If they actually played some classic rock this season, that song would be a perfect episode closer.

post #386 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So that makes Sam the Dog? :-)

Well, no. If he could actually throw a punch (without the aid of a mystic rabbit's foot), he'd be Sally Field.
post #387 of 2253 Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, no. If he could actually throw a punch (without the aid of a mystic rabbit's foot), he'd be Sally Field.

yes, but the truck driver is the one who sang the song in the first person....lol never mind!

A non-bronzed No Prize to the first person who can name the Truck Driver and his Dog!

post #388 of 2253 Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 PM

It was pretty much a filler episode, but I still liked the Grim fairy tale angle.

I loved the scene with Sam & the crossroads demon. One of the best this season.
I couldn't help but think of the scene in "Matrix" with Trinity..."Dodge This!"
He's character is getting a lot more complex...finally. Ackels has been running circles
around him.
post #389 of 2253 Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree but the great thing about Supernatural is even the filler episodes are good. I remember in season 1 there was almost no plot until the end.
post #390 of 2253 Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
best episode of the season..brings back memories of season 2. I'm glad they saved the last 5 to 6 minutes for the sam - crossroads demon encounter.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page