Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 2255 Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hate to burst the bubble, and I find myself apologizing since I like the show alot, but I thought this was one of the poorer episodes. Just me I guess.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2255 Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

I hate to burst the bubble, and I find myself apologizing since I like the show alot, but I thought this was one of the poorer episodes. Just me I guess.

I'll sort of agree that it wasn't at the top of the heap, but I take into consideration that a "poorer episode" on this show is still a far cry better than a lot of the other stuff out there.

My only problem with the episode was how much recycling occurred of scene elements that have been used in other horror productions - the ball, the mysterious ball toss, the writing all the wall blamed on the kid, the kid being "selected" by the "ghost", the ambiguously close "Red Shirt" uncle, the people in the walls thing, etc. Heck, even the "running from the city with your tragic family to become a gentleman farmer in the country" thing has been way overdone (example: The Messengers). At least the guy wasn't planning to raise sunflowers...

It certainly all worked together well enough, but it was far from original.

The thing that made up for the above issue was the dialog and interaction between the characters. Of course, that's the major draw of every episode of this show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 2255 Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The thing that made up for the above issue was the dialog and interaction between the characters. Of course, that's the major draw of every episode of this show.

That's probably the key for almost any genre show: how does that character that you know and love (or hate) react to the well known situation. (hopefully in a new and unexpected way)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #724 of 2255 Old 01-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
I really liked it. It was creepy and fun at the same time.
post #725 of 2255 Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

If I lived in an apartment & neighbors would have reported the screaming coming from my wife

I think it was worse watching alone at night (around 11:30pm before I had the chance to see it). You are right about that dog, I knew it was coming but just the idea of it was actually disturbing. It has been done in movies before but never as realistic as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

My only problem with the episode was how much recycling occurred of scene elements that have been used in other horror productions

The good part was that they used these from "ghost" movies yet completely turned it around making it human only. The entire cast and crew of Supernatural never cease to surprise me, if I had my way, all TV shows would be made by these people.
post #726 of 2255 Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

It would have been more realistic if the dog barked. It just kind of acted like nothing was there.

Yeah, I know. I'm running out of things to complain about...
post #727 of 2255 Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

I agree, at least for this season. It seemed they quickly abandoned where they were going all season and threw this one in there. Good episode by other series standards but not that good for this season, which has been amazing.

post #728 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, what card was Charlie(?) holding after Barry Bostwick stabbed himself last night? When Charlie fell to the ground and revealed the card, my view was blocked by "CW" overlay on the screen.

Also, the title of the episode was worth a good laugh itself.
post #729 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Loved the title of the episode. Can't wait for next week's episode.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #730 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

So, what card was Charlie(?) holding after Barry Bostwick stabbed himself last night? When Charlie fell to the ground and revealed the card, my view was blocked by "CW" overlay on the screen.

Also, the title of the episode was worth a good laugh itself.

it looked to me as if it were a person with the symbol for infinity over their head to symbolize eternal life.
post #731 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
It was. It's "The Magician".
post #732 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

It was. It's "The Magician".

well i'll be damned...

post #733 of 2255 Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM

I found the network bug to be ridiculous on the CW. An ever persistent semi-translucent annoyance. Sometimes its easy to avoid, I guess, even if it still annoying. But last night it proved to be one reason NOT to have them.

Does this mean shows now have to account for the network bug area so it doesn't block off a vital portion of programming?!

I know some stations have moved the bug to the 4x3 safe area, and plenty of shows shoot that way so you don't miss by not having a widescreen set.

But this takes the cake.

The proof:

Click on image to see "full size" 1280x720 image

As for the show/content, to me this wasn't one of the better kind-of stand-a-lone episodes. It had a bit of meat dealing with the overall season arc (just like last weeks), but I think it was mostly a throw away.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Biggest thing was Sam deciding to use his powers again, and head off with Ruby. And that looks to come into fruition next week, judging from the previews. So we'll see where that puts him with Dean and the angels (Since they had told Dean to stop Sam, or THEY would...)
post #734 of 2255 Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Some sad news, the producer/director of Supernatural, Kim Manners, has passed away:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090129/tv_nm/us_manners
post #735 of 2255 Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

As I've said before, I hate to knock this series. I enjoy the "stand alone" episodes very much; but I struggle to remember all of the continuing plot points especially since some go back to Season 1. I can't keep Ruby and Lillith straight, although I guess Ruby is now a "good" deamon while Lillith is the absolute badest. Are the Angels good or bad. It seems that Sam has some supernatural powers, but they don't always work.

Even so, I never miss an episode.

As for the logo, I'm not sure which is worse CW or BBC. I purposely do not watch any other programming on the CW solely because of the logo. I don't want to become hooked.

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #736 of 2255 Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
This second half of the season has started oddly. It's like they jettisoned nearly all of the arc that took up all last year and dug up some scripts from earlier seasons.

I'm also disappointed they didn't give a nod to The X-Files. They've done it in the past, but this episode was asking for a black oil dialog reference that never came.

post #737 of 2255 Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

i don't know, i really liked this episode..kind of touches on how these guys grew up, and were in and out of schools.

It felt like the comic books (supernatural origins).
post #738 of 2255 Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

i don't know, i really liked this episode..kind of touches on how these guys grew up, and were in and out of schools.

I had no problem with the episode but it just seems out of place now. They spent a lot of time building up the arc momentum last year and suddenly it's hit the brakes. And not for just one episode, it's been three continuous weeks.

It feels like they've had a creative shuffle in the personnel department or had some directive from CW. Next week appears to be another standalone too.

post #739 of 2255 Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 399
What worries me is that the CW Network is in the intensive care ward and may not even be around much longer, possibly leaving this series without a home and a resolution to the story. Episodes like last night tend to fuel that anxiety, I think many of us are worried that they're wasting time they may not have.
post #740 of 2255 Old 01-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:

As I've said before, I hate to knock this series. I enjoy the "stand alone" episodes very much; but I struggle to remember all of the continuing plot points especially since some go back to Season 1. I can't keep Ruby and Lillith straight, although I guess Ruby is now a "good" deamon while Lillith is the absolute badest. Are the Angels good or bad. It seems that Sam has some supernatural powers, but they don't always work..

I started watching at the begining of this season, and im not as lost as you are. Lillith is the little girl, remember that and you should be fine. Angels are good, at least better than the demons. And sam has demon blood in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

What worries me is that the CW Network is in the intensive care ward and may not even be around much longer, possibly leaving this series without a home and a resolution to the story. Episodes like last night tend to fuel that anxiety, I think many of us are worried that they're wasting time they may not have.

I agree that summer of '08 cw would have folded; but now im not so sure. Gossip Girl is doin decent ratings, as well with one tree hill. Im sure 90210 isn't has big as they wanted it to be, but its doing just as good as monday night shows. Thursday is by far their best night. Smallville and Supernatural get the highest ratings on the network. I think cw will be ok for a little while longer. I think these three nights are the lifelines of this network. When one goes, they all will. Mainly, they need Smallville. Once smallville is over, which should only be one more season, cw will probably say goodbye.
post #741 of 2255 Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY860 View Post

I agree that summer of '08 cw would have folded; but now im not so sure. Gossip Girl is doin decent ratings, as well with one tree hill. Im sure 90210 isn't has big as they wanted it to be, but its doing just as good as monday night shows. Thursday is by far their best night. Smallville and Supernatural get the highest ratings on the network. I think cw will be ok for a little while longer. I think these three nights are the lifelines of this network.

Even with those nights, finishing behind both MNTV and Univision as they have done is not something to be proud of. Just the fact they are a supposedly major network and they are being beaten by a spanish language channel does not look good in a press release.

edit: and just in from HotP, both Supernatural and Smallville are pulling lower numbers than Burn Notice on cable channel USA.

post #742 of 2255 Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 179
While this was a great episode, it just seems like they forgot all about the angel story line. even at the end of last episode Sam was talking to Ruby and said he was ready to go after Lilith, he got in the car and said lets go. Not this episode there is no mention of it, nothing. What happened to him deciding to go after Lilith? Just upset they are not doing what was so awesome before the break.

post #743 of 2255 Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm betting they're saving the good arc stories for sweeps.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #744 of 2255 Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Actually, my wife hates the Ruby-Angel continuity, and pretty much decided to stop watching after the break. I think the last three may bring her back in, if I can get her to watch them. I think she really liked the eclectic nature of the various antagonists and belief systems (and the classic rock).

v/r,
C-F
post #745 of 2255 Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In case any of you missed it in the News thread, CW has renewed Supernatural for next season.

Scott

post #746 of 2255 Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

In case any of you missed it in the News thread, CW has renewed Supernatural for next season.

Scott

Fantastic news.
post #747 of 2255 Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 PM

That is great news. Thanks for posting here.
post #748 of 2255 Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

"They're Back"

Mikey Mo
"OAR OR DIE"

post #749 of 2255 Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Yes! I was so glad to find out that "Supernatural" had been picked up for another season. It just keeps getting better.
post #750 of 2255 Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul^G1138 View Post

Yes! I was so glad to find out that "Supernatural" had been picked up for another season. It just keeps getting better.

Of course the CW doesn't have that many solid choices....

New episode tonight.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page