'Supernatural' on The CW HD (& syndicated on TNT HD) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was an amazing episode tonight. I am really looking forward to the season finale next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Good episode, again, but I'm a little confused now.. {spoilers ahead - but only if you haven't viewed yesterdays episode yet}
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the angel told Dean that they need Sam to do the heavy work of beating Lilith as he is the only one that is capable of doing it and then Dean will be needed to take care of his brother as Sam will be far too dangerous, unable to control his own evil powers and dark side.

So why after that conversation is Dean still going around talking about how he is the one the angels/God have chosen to defeat Lilith? Did I not hear something right??

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM

because he asked the angel if he was to accept this his borther wouldnt have to do it and the angel said if thats thw way you need to view it. or something along those lines.

I think the angel let Sam out as a back up to Dean or as a motivator for Dean.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
So ... cliffhangers don't get much better than that. Releasing the Devil.

I knew Ruby was going to flip about 10 minutes in but I fully expected the final seal to be something along the lines of a virtuous man willingly sacrificing an innocent on holy ground.

And I thought the demon blood addiction was cheesy in earlier episodes too, but I think the resolution played out well as a way to turn Sam into a dupe for the Devil.

This year seems to be the season of "fade to white" for finales.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Not to be too cliche, but that was TRULY "One HELL of an Ending!"

Be really interesting to see where they go from here.

I was long curious why Ruby, a demon, was HELPING Sam... Was she a regretful demon, or trying to reform, or what? Of course we found out WHY tonight, huh?

The angels WANTING the apocalypse seems almost odd -- or at least SOME of them wanting it, and some NOT... and Zachariah telling Dean "God has left the building" almost makes you wonder if God has just washed his hands of all Earthly matters and left everything to some "council of angels," and they're not all in agreement on what to do, obviously.

Helping to create the Apocalypse could be to provide a chance to "separate the wheat from the chaff," or it could be a chance for possibly some angels who are in covert rebellion against the forces of heaven to join forces with Lucifer (based on how he acts, I wouldn't put Zachariah past that). They could be wanting to kill him, or help make him "supreme ruler," the King of Angels.

There's all kinds of potential for next year -- but I fear they'll have to work it all out next year, as the two leads and the show's executive producer have all three said they don't want to go past five seasons. I guess we'll see come the fall.
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

Old 05-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

The angels WANTING the apocalypse seems almost odd -- or at least SOME of them wanting it, and some NOT... and Zachariah telling Dean "God has left the building" almost makes you wonder if God has just washed his hands of all Earthly matters and left everything to some "council of angels," and they're not all in agreement on what to do, obviously.

If Zachariah keeps that up, he end up as Lucifer's replacement when God is done with him.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This "battle of the angels" is sounding more like the Shadow/Vorlon war from Babylon 5.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

This "battle of the angels" is sounding more like the Shadow/Vorlon war from Babylon 5.

"Get the hell out of my season 5!"

Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Now that was a GREAT season finale. I don't think it was surprising to anyone what Ruby's part was in this. Nice bookend having one brother break the initial seal and the other the final seal.

Now if Prison Break ends tonight with a bang, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

"Get the hell out of my season 5!"

Exactly.

What Supernatural is presenting is a battle of angels- Lucifer and his fallen angels against (I assume) Zachariah and his horde in a universe where the ultimate "god" has stepped away and is letting the two sides duke it out.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This year's finale was just as good as last years. Excellent!

Thank God Ruby 2.0 is dead, the actress really, really got on my nerves. I guess it wasn't totally her fault, some was due to the writing. For instance, in last week's episode, when Dean was going to kill Ruby, she kind of hid behind Sammy, like she was afraid of Dean. The original Ruby would have walked up and punched Dean in the mouth.

Also, I loved how the writers used Lilith. From the Biblical sense, it made a lot of sense for Lilith to be the final seal, because according to scripture, when Lilith denied Adam and refused to lay "beneath" him, God was ready to forgive her and wipe-the-slate clean if she agreed to come back.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the best show on tv, for my money....even better than Lost. They are working on a fraction of the budget, and a fraction of the cast, and still produce some incredible episodes.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 191
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

The 2009-10 Season
CW sets 'Supernatural' Thursdays
Net pairs 'Vampire Diaries' with sci-fi series
By Nellie Andreeva, The Hollywood Reporter - May 20th, 2009

The CW may be the latest network to make a bold move on Thursday.

After days of rumblings, the CW is said to have settled on launching the hot new drama "Vampire Diaries" Thursday 8 p.m., paired with "Supernatural." "Vampire Diaries" would replace the staple in the time slot, departing veteran "Smallville," whose final ninth season would air on Friday, probably at 8 p.m.

The network is set to unveil its fall schedule Thursday in New York.

"Vampire Diaries," about a girl in a love triangle with two vampire brothers, is envisioned as a new tentpole series for Thursday night where the network already has built-in sci-fi audience with "Smallville" and "Supernatural."

Meanwhile, "Melrose Place" will almost certainly be paired with "90210," repeating the launch pattern for the original "Melrose Place," which followed "Beverly Hills, 90210" on Fox in fall 1992.

With its setting -- a co-ed residence of young models -- new drama "Beautiful Life" is a perfect scripted companion for "America's Next Top Model" and is expected to launch after the hit reality series on Wednesday.

CW's solidly-rated Monday lineup of "Gossip Girl" and "One Tree Hill" is expected to stay intact.

All major networks are taking swings on Thursday night, the most lucrative night on television.

Fox and CBS are moving promising freshmen "Fringe" and "The Mentalist" to Thursday at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., respectively.

ABC is slotting newcomer "Flash Forward" at 8 p.m. where the show based on a sci-fi novel may have some audience overlap with "Vampire Diaries."

And, after several weeks of "SNL" specials, NBC will put freshman comedy "Community" in the 8-8:30 p.m. half-hour on Thursday.

As for CW's new crop of shows, the network should have no problem promoting them.

"Vampire Diaries" is based on an established book franchise and will certainly tap into the "Twilight" phenomenon.

Meanwhile, both "Melrose" and "Life" have popular stars -- Mischa Barton and Elle MacPherson ("Life") and Ashlee Simpson-Wentz ("Melrose") -- to help hype the shows.

And "Life" is exec produced by Twitter king Ashton Kutcher, who can talk up the series to his more than 1 million followers

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...87b4f683443d23
Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd caught "bits and pieces" of this show in past seasons, but didn't even really start watching it regularly until this season (not even sure if I saw all of this season -- first episode, I think, was where Dean comes back from Hell).

I have to record it, so I can also watch "CSI," but it's worth the recording, for sure. I'd like to catch up the previous four seasons without having to buy them on DVD... anyone know where I can do that online?
Jeff

Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You can purchase the entire season(s) on iTunes. A cheaper way is Netflix.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

You can purchase the entire season(s) on iTunes. A cheaper way is Netflix.

Ummmmmmmmm, HEADS UP! Speaking of iTunes (which I don't do) and Netflix (which I may, at some point), STAY AWAY FROM AMAZON.COM'S downloadable video!!!

I bought just ONE episode of downloadable video from Amazon, because it was fairly cheap (an extended episode of "Battlestar Gallactica" known as "Razor," to which everyone kept referring, and I couldn't recall which episode it was -- turned out, I knew it well, just not by that name)... At any rate, in order to VIEW their downloadable video, you have to also download THEIR viewer, which patrols/controls their DRM, called "Unbox." No problem downloading and installing it, but EVERY SINGLE TIME my computer (Vista SP1, Core 2 Duo, 4 GB PC 6400 RAM -- in other words, reasonably powerful, not straining to keep up) booted up, it didn't want to load Unbox, and Unbox INSISTED on being loaded...

One of those UAC windows would pop up, and if I clicked CANCEL, it would just keep popping up. More than once when I wasn't in a hurry, I experimented and kept clicking cancel well MORE THAN A DOZEN TIMES -- and Unbox just KEPT ON COMING!

When I DID allow Unbox to load, it varied a bit, but generally I had to click "OK" 8 (EIGHT) times EVERY SINGLE STARTUP before Unbox finally finished loading and I quit getting UAC popups!

When I FINALLY got fed up and decided to uninstall Unbox, it took two tries and two reboots to do that, as well... And this was after my Trend Micro Internet Security program had updated to a new version and wanted to say this program was a virus (it wasn't, but it sure as heck ACTED LIKE ONE!)

Perhaps others of you have had different experiences, or have workarounds. I'm just telling you MY experience. Based on THAT, I'd NEVER download a video from Amazon.com again, and I'm otherwise a VERY satisfied Amazon.com customer!
Jeff

Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

Now that was a GREAT season finale. I don't think it was surprising to anyone what Ruby's part was in this. Nice bookend having one brother break the initial seal and the other the final seal.

Now if Prison Break ends tonight with a bang, I'll be pleasantly surprised. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

I'm a great fan too of prison break and it is very exciting to watch till the end.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just a heads up that the new season starts next week Thursday (9/10/09).

Scott

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Hands down, one of the best shows on TV. Simply amazing. Their opening montage and the songs they play is amazing and showcases why this show just rocks.

This is looking to be an awesome season.

So who/what do you think saved the brothers and put them on the plane and brough cass back. God?

You know, I really miss Sam's power/ability, he was a bad ass last season, now this reset doesn't feel right or as good as when he had the power.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Definitely God that saved the brothers. Devil made it clear he's here to take on God, so I expect to see God directly interacting with the situation a lot this season.

Also miss Sam's powers. That story progression last season was amazing.

Seems like the demons are a little more badass so far this season too, that was a vicious fight.

I'm guessing next week we see the first abilities of the devil. This war should be amazing.

And as always, awesome musical montage
Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

I love this show. Some of the one liners that Dean comes up with are fantastic. After painfully trying to watch Melrose on the CW, Supernatural saves the week!

I'm not sure how it is across the country but in the NY/NJ area the CW logo is so overused with premier announcements it got really annoying and it's also not in the corner, I would have thought now that everything is HD/letterboxed that would be fixed.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked the way Kripke had the guts to drop some potential season arc plots in the opening episode and then proceeded to end them as soon as they began. It kept me guessing.

Watching this episode I thought this season would revolve around:

Bobby being the Big Bad
the search for Michael's sword
Dean being possessed by Michael and acting like an angel to counterbalance last season of Sam acting like a demon

On any other show any one of those three would have been suitable for a significant plotline. Not so here.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The way "Castiel" came back into that storage site and essentially SMOTE every angel there but the head angel, who he proceeded to bark orders to, put in his place and then vanquished, one HAS to wonder if that was REALLY Castiel, or perhaps actually Michael returned in that body.

Either way, whoever it was, since both vessel and supposedly angel had previously been "splattered" into little pieces by the "boss angel" (I can never remember his name), either a very powerful angel, like Michael, or God, HAD to be behind his re-appearance, and he was apparently given a lot more clout this time around.

Assuming that's NOT Michael in the former guise of Castiel, I think Dean will have no recourse but to eventually relent and accept being the vessel for Michael. What's going to happen to Sam is a much more interesting question. My guess is that like all good Biblical stories, he'll somehow be dragged back to "the dark side" -- especially after Dean's closing words to him this first episode -- and in the end, Dean will have to Kill him in battle in order to fulfill his mission to defeat Lucifer... Assuming he's Michael's vessel at that point, the Michael part probably won't have much problem with it, but I'm guessing the Dean part will be fighting it strongly in the background.

Like I said, this could get very interesting.
Jeff

Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Either way, whoever it was, since both vessel and supposedly angel had previously been "splattered" into little pieces by the "boss angel" (I can never remember his name), either a very powerful angel, like Michael, or God, HAD to be behind his re-appearance, and he was apparently given a lot more clout this time around.

I'm not going to spill the beans, but the latest/current (Fall Preview) issue of TVGuide might.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

I'm not going to spill the beans, but the latest/current (Fall Preview) issue of TVGuide might.

Think I'd rather wait and find out as it plays out, HDTV. Sure is fun, though.

And to think I avoided this show for years... Even after I started watching "Smallville," I'd change the channel when "Supernatural" came on. Then there was a time or two there was nothing but re-runs on other channels and so I stayed put and got hooked (funny how that happens, huh?) I actually think it was Ruby and my curiosity about what was going on THERE that really got my attention (was she a repenting demon, or what?) I mean, look at the demon girlfriend in "Reaper." I guess we finally got our answer to THAT question, lol.

Of course switching to DISH and getting dual DVRs on two TVs also gave me a LOT more flexibility to watch AND record.
Jeff

Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Think I'd rather wait and find out as it plays out, HDTV. Sure is fun, though.

+1 to that. I never understood why people want spoilers. I want to experience it as it unfolds. Otherwise what's the point, you already know what's going to happen.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Supernatural is my fav show on TV. I have to admit I was expecting a more intense season premier but instead got a very good setup to what I expect to be an excellent season. I suggest anyone who just got into this show last season get season 1-3 and watch it while this season builds up on your DVR. While the show was on break I actually Watched the entire series 1-4 getting ready for this one. I just wanted the whole storyline to be fresh in my mind.

To the remark that Castiel is the arch angel Micheal is not right IMO because if you listened to what he said God brought him back or at least that is who he is alluding too. It also seems God healed Sam.

Throughout season 4 there were comments that God has not really been running the show with these angels. It appears now God has stepped in and there will most likely be some good vs bad angels in heaven.From what they say Micheal is in the side of the rouge angels who let lucifer rise in the first place.

I was surprised to hear Dean say what he did to Sam at the end of the episode. I do not want him to go "dark side" again.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, Tommy, but that ending left us with several possible tracks -- Sam working hard to redeem himself, or Sam being rejected and "going dark" and Dean having to fight him and make a choice are two obvious ones, but there could be other "out of the box" choices I haven't considered.

Same with it possibly being God who brought Castiel back and saved Dean and Sam and healed Sam. If it was, and I agree with you the hint strongly is that it is, there's a VERY STRONG question of WHERE THE HECK has God been up to now??? I mean, God is supposed to be all-powerful, omniscient, omniprescent, so even though some angels -- and even people -- could hide from each other (and same with demons), God should have total awareness of everything and the ability to step in and do whatever he wants at any time... There's the whole freewill thing, BUT that still leaves A TON of questions.

I'm wondering if perhaps God was testing a whole NEW group of angels he thought might be heading down the same sort of path Lucifer did, such as (oh, who the HECK IS that jerkwad Dean keeps wanting to clobber?) I mean, frankly, I don't think anyone with an attitude like that, who could do the sort of things he was doing to Dean and Sam in order to get Dean to "agree" to be the vessel for Michael is acting very "angelic" at all. My suspicion is those folks wanted to let Lucifer out so they could JOIN him, not defeat him.
Jeff

Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know, Tommy, but that ending left us with several possible tracks -- Sam working hard to redeem himself, or Sam being rejected and "going dark" and Dean having to fight him and make a choice are two obvious ones, but there could be other "out of the box" choices I haven't considered.

Sam is a wild card no doubt. I can only speculate and HOPE what he will or will not do. God did heal him though and I hope He completely removed any and all demon blood from his body.

Quote:

Same with it possibly being God who brought Castiel back and saved Dean and Sam and healed Sam. If it was, and I agree with you the hint strongly is that it is, there's a VERY STRONG question of WHERE THE HECK has God been up to now??? I mean, God is supposed to be all-powerful, omniscient, omniprescent, so even though some angels -- and even people -- could hide from each other (and same with demons), God should have total awareness of everything and the ability to step in and do whatever he wants at any time... There's the whole freewill thing, BUT that still leaves A TON of questions.

Questions yes but the fact that God is sitting back and letting His creations play out until He knows it is necessary to intervene makes sense to me. I think that God and the Angles who are dedicated to Him will have the ultimate power in this fight but will also let others destiny play out and not micromanage the situation. It is easy to say "Where has God been in all of this?" but I doubt that He is unaware of anything. The Creator.

Quote:

I'm wondering if perhaps God was testing a whole NEW group of angels he thought might be heading down the same sort of path Lucifer did, such as (oh, who the HECK IS that jerkwad Dean keeps wanting to clobber?) I mean, frankly, I don't think anyone with an attitude like that, who could do the sort of things he was doing to Dean and Sam in order to get Dean to "agree" to be the vessel for Michael is acting very "angelic" at all. My suspicion is those folks wanted to let Lucifer out so they could JOIN him, not defeat him.
Jeff

Good point! I think you mean Zachariah.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yessssssss, Zachariah! And if he's going to ALL THAT TROUBLE to get Dean to agree to be Michael's "vessel," then what does that say about Michael -- unless it's not the REAL Michael.

After all, this IS fiction, regardless of its basis on demons and angels. Not being any sort of Biblical or satanic scholar, I always just assumed "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" had some sort of research department that researched most of the demons and whatnot for THAT show until some time after the show's 7 seasons ended when I saw one of the principals being interviewed (I think it was Joss Whedon), and they joked about how they got the names for some of their demons from their dogs and cats and how it was almost ALL completely MADE UP!

Now we all know there IS a legend of Lillith and Lucifer, but I'm not sure how many other NAMED demons there have been and I don't recall ever hearing of an angel named Castiel or Zachariah, either. So it's quite likely this show is doing a good deal of the same thing since, after all, MOST of this is pure fiction, with only tangential elements related to the Bible.

Either way, it makes for compelling viewing, just as long as nobody gets too tied up in knots over real vs. fictional Biblical prophecy, etc.
Jeff