post #991 of 2253 Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

Gabriel sure had a lot to say about feuding brothers and "an absent Father." Considering that we get the impression he's been on Earth for A LONG TIME, it makes one wonder just HOW LONG God's been "absent," and WHY?

Did he give the angels free will, too, and did they start fighting amongst themselves so much that God just couldn't take it any more and essentially "abdicated the throne," so to speak, without leaving ANYONE in charge? This would explain a great deal, while still leaving a good many questions.
Jeff

Well, the angels have said time to them is totally different than us. Something like days can go by and to humans, it's only a second.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2253 Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

It's too bad this series is one of the best kept secrets. A TV GUIDE or USA TODAY article would sure help.

I think TV Guide is doing an article on The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural this week, or maybe it was last week.

post #993 of 2253 Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well, another fun episode, but I think they've got to get back to the main theme - Lucifer!
post #994 of 2253 Old 11-13-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

Well, another fun episode, but I think they've got to get back to the main theme - Lucifer!

Agreed.

Great standalone ep though.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #995 of 2253 Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Very good episode. They had fun with the whole fan thing without being completely condescending. I liked how Dean seemed perplexed with the way fans perceived him. Time to get back to business though.
post #996 of 2253 Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE part of the entire show was the "faux beginning" with Sam and Dean riding the bikes and stuff that looked like a very DELIBERATE attempt to make them look as much like a male version of "Laverne & Shirley" (I HATED THAT STUPID SHOW!) as possible, lol. It was GREAT!

To think I avoided this show for a couple of years because the title sounded iffy and the concept just looked kinda iffy, too... Once again, one of those shows that took just one episode to prove my instincts SOOOO wrong. The writing and directing on this show is SO good! Shows like "V" and "Flash Forward" could use some of this talent!
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

post #997 of 2253 Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

It's also worth while to get the older season sets. Many great episodes.
post #998 of 2253 Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm enjoying the new episodes, but I still don't have a clue how they going to kill Lucifer!

I guess you can't kill the devil!

They could banish him back to h*ll!
post #999 of 2253 Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

In the Kripke universe, anything is possible.

In many traditions, spirits technically can't "die" or be "uncreated" They are eternal beings. Angels are typically in that category. With Kripke who has picked and chosen various traditions and made his own (which is fine since this is fun entertainment as opposed to doctrine) I've learned to expect the unexpected.
post #1000 of 2253 Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

wow, pretty good episode again...the jo scenes were pretty powerful
post #1001 of 2253 Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Great episode, this show just doesn't know how to disappoint, as noted above, one of the best kept secrets on TV.
post #1002 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Spirit of Luicfer inside of rapidly decomposing body of host:

"Hi, Dad"!

Considering how they have been describing relationships, I'm assuming "Dad" is the long missing "Father". Wow.
post #1003 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Castiel just continues to crack me up!

His character is perhaps one of the best straight men in this type of show ever... After downing 5 straight shots of liquor, he looks at the ladies and just sort of nods and says, "I think I'm starting to feel something."

And his comment as Bobby was about to take the picture was priceless, even though it was all-to-true, at least for the two gals... and then the way he (and pretty much everyone in the photograph), but especially HE looked when that camera fired... Like a cowboy in the ollllllllllld West posing half crocked next to the casket of the gunslinger he'd dispatched earlier that day, or something, lol.

I suspect that gun might have worked on Lucifer IF Sam had shot him, instead of Dean, by the way.
Jeff

post #1004 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Castiel just continues to crack me up!

Love that guy. just hope his constant "frown" look doesn't scar him for life.

Quote:

I suspect that gun might have worked on Lucifer IF Sam had shot him, instead of Dean, by the way.
Jeff

Lucifer did say that he was 1 of 5 in the universe who couldn't be hurt by the Colt. Of course I believe him because I'm sure he would never lie about such a thing.
post #1005 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Another excellent episode. Though, I was sad to see Jo and Ellen's departure (especially Jo). Jo was one of the few likable female characters, along with Ruby 1.0.

They need to bring another badass, likable female character into the mix, possibly "Joan of Arc"? That actually would fit.

And I also laughed at the "Castiel taking shots" scene, good stuff.

post #1006 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Love that guy. just hope his constant "frown" look doesn't scar him for life.

Lucifer did say that he was 1 of 5 in the universe who couldn't be hurt by the Colt. Of course I believe him because I'm sure he would never lie about such a thing.

I'm with you, but he did say "killed" not hurt. The Colt obviously did some damage, but I have to wonder if a regular gun would have had the same effect or if the wound was just to the vessel, which Lu healed.
post #1007 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This show never fails to disappoint. Last night was just an awesome episode.

I'm almost sorry to say that I hope this is the last season because I don't see where the boys go from here.
post #1008 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Did I see that correctly? The next episode is not until Jan 21st?
post #1009 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

Yes, and that's a loooooong time....
post #1010 of 2253 Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:

You have to be kidding me, I knew it was a cliffhanger but seriously? Ugh.

Anyway, that was an absolutely brilliant episode and I know I shouldn't say this but how good did Jo look throughout? Why of why didn't her character get more airtime!?
post #1011 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Another excellent episode. Though, I was sad to see Jo and Ellen's departure (especially Jo). Jo was one of the few likable female characters, along with Ruby 1.0.

They need to bring another badass, likable female character into the mix, possibly "Joan of Arc"? That actually would fit.

Jo used to feature a lot and then died when they destroyed the hunters waypoint. Or presumed dead until this season anway. So I was happy they brought Jo Ellen back for this season guest appearances and to give them a well written send off.

With only twelve episodes left of the entire show I don't think introducing brand new characters would add much. in fact I think it might be a poor choice given how little time they will have to build the characters sufficiently to care about them. A new character would be a distraction from the main cast and limit the the space available for the return of more established characters. Ash still hasn't shown up yet so he could come back. Any others that haven't made an appearance for the final showdown yet?

And what are the other 4 things the Colt cannot kill? God? The horsemen? Superman? Dawn Ostroff?

A solid end to this half of another solid and consistently excellent season. All the signs are that this show will end well, instead of limping to the end with creatively bankrupt scripts, screwed up mythology and worn out stars.

You know, like almost every other show on television does.

post #1012 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Jo used to feature a lot and then died when they destroyed the hunters waypoint. Or presumed dead until this season anway. So I was happy they brought Jo Ellen back for this season guest appearances and to give them a well written send off.

With only twelve episodes left of the entire show I don't think introducing brand new characters would add much. in fact I think it might be a poor choice given how little time they will have to build the characters sufficiently to care about them. A new character would be a distraction from the main cast and limit the the space available for the return of more established characters. Ash still hasn't shown up yet so he could come back. Any others that haven't made an appearance for the final showdown yet?

And what are the other 4 things the Colt cannot kill? God? The horsemen? Superman? Dawn Ostroff?

A solid end to this half of another solid and consistently excellent season. All the signs are that this show will end well, instead of limping to the end with creatively bankrupt scripts, screwed up mythology and worn out stars.

You know, like almost every other show on television does.

With your wordsmithian ways, Vision, perhaps you should be writing for some of these shows (not being sarcastic). Those last couple of sentences could have come straight out of "Supernatural." (I'm not sure who Dawn Ostroff is, although I'm guessing that was a dig, lol... I was thinking maybe Rush Limbaugh or Rupert Murdoch... or Sarah Palin -- or Nancy Pelosi, ir you'd prefer a bit of balance, lol).

I continue to contend that IF his "vessel" had fired that Colt there may have been a different outcome. To quote the Wicked Witch of the West, "We have to do these things carefully, otherwise we break the spell."

But I don't imagine we'll get to find out, as I assume he was successful in raising the fourth horsemen, so now the battle will be "different," at least, and we have to wait another 7 weeks to SEE IT! Doggonnit!

YaknowhatI'magonnado?!? It's Dec. 1, and ALL my shows have either GONE on hiatus or are about to. I'm gonna do my yearly one-month subscription to Graboid.com and see what ELSE is out there, lol (this will actually be only my second year).

PLEASE nobody throw rocks at me! I KNOW there's a lot of "debate," to put it mildly, about this subject.
Jeff

post #1013 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Dean identified Ash's burnt body in the roadhouse fire by the watch he was wearing, so I don't think he's coming back, although in Supernatural you never know...
post #1014 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

If I had to guess I would say God, and the 4 archangels, Michael, Lucifer, Raphael and Gabriel.
post #1015 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, yes, that was a dig at Dawn Ostroff, as she's the President of Entertainment for The CW.

post #1016 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Jeff, yes, that was a dig at Dawn Ostroff, as she's the President of Entertainment for The CW.

OK, so THAT'S who she is... Well, with my BRIEF history with this network, I'd say they're doing better than the others, programming-wise. At least THEY'RE not starting exciting new series (like "Dollhouse," "Pushing Daisies," just to name two ), and then NOT supporting them, screwing with their programming and scheduling, and then unceremoniously canceling them!
Jeff

post #1017 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, so THAT'S who she is... Well, with my BRIEF history with this network, I'd say they're doing better than the others, programming-wise.

Yeah, if you're female between the ages of 16-28. That's the only audience Ostroff is interested in. Every good show on the CW is something that was left over from The WB. All the others (and most of the starting CW shows) she cancelled because they didn't appeal to young girls.

And The Beautiful Life only lasted two episodes this season, so even CW isn't above killing shows without warning. After Supernatural goes off air I'll have no reason to tune in to the CW again. I stopped watching Smallville a long long time ago.

The only reason Supernatural escaped her axe is because Jared and Jensen have a large female fan base.

post #1018 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, if you're female between the ages of 16-28. That's the only audience Ostroff is interested in. Every good show on the CW is something that was left over from The WB. All the others (and most of the starting CW shows) she cancelled because they didn't appeal to young girls.

And The Beautiful Life only lasted two episodes this season, so even CW isn't above killing shows without warning. After Supernatural goes off air I'll have no reason to tune in to the CW again. I stopped watching Smallville a long long time ago.

The only reason Supernatural escaped her axe is because Jared and Jensen have a large female fan base.

OK, I gotcha, Visio. Yaknow, I started the season not planning to watch "The Vampire Diaries" because IT, too, looked like it would be "90210" for vampires, or something, but after two episodes, and catching the tail end at the beginning of my "Supernatural" recordings, since I time-shift that, as well, I was A BIT intrigued, so I started recording it, and then eventually caught the first two episodes online and caught up what I had recorded...

Guess what? It DID start out sort of like some TEEN DRAMA, but it quickly grew. While a couple of the central characters are still (at least supposed to be) teens, several of the main characters are clearly not (and not supposed to be), and the DRAMA is much more adult -- as is the romance. It's getting a lot more like "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer," except without the humor nor so much vampire slaying, though some of that is going on. It's actually surprised me, and I'm enjoying it.

No, it's not as good as "Supernatural," but then its so different you can't compare them, really. Guess I need to learn more about Dawn Ostroff and The CW, though. I assume Melrose and 90210 and so forth were all WB shows, huh, since CW has brought them back?

Nobody in Hollywood wants to do something NEW when something "tried and true" worked in the past. If they think they can "remake it" and "make it work" they DO. Look at the movies. Sometimes it makes me sick. Then again, sometimes I watch the new movie (or show), and it IS better.
Jeff

post #1019 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, it's not as good as "Supernatural," but then its so different you can't compare them, really. Guess I need to learn more about Dawn Ostroff and The CW, though. I assume Melrose and 90210 and so forth were all WB shows, huh, since CW has brought them back?

I think the only shows on CW that are old WB properties are Supernatural and Smallville. All the others have been cancelled. Melrose and 90210 are just remakes they dragged up from the early 90's on FOX.

I'm tired of vampires. It's an overdone concept and there's nothing new being added in any of the current shows that I haven't seen before. So the title alone is enough to not get me to watch Vampire Diaries.

post #1020 of 2253 Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the only shows on CW that are old WB properties are Supernatural and Smallville. All the others have been cancelled. Melrose and 90210 are just remakes they dragged up from the early 90's on FOX.

I'm tired of vampires. It's an overdone concept and there's nothing new being added in any of the current shows that I haven't seen before. So the title alone is enough to not get me to watch Vampire Diaries.

Well I don't claim to be an expert on the vampire genre, myself, and it's never been something I've been "drawn to," but I still kinda watch the shows and movies if "they're there" AND they're worth watching, so I've seen quite a few, nonetheless -- probably most of the movies made since Karloff (like all the Hammer films and all of the TV shows made since "Dark Shadows" -- at least in America. Never read any of the books or "graphic novels" or Fangoria or anything, though.

That said, based on what I know I'd say thus far "The Vampire Diaries" probably hasn't really hit any new ground (except maybe the witch working with the vampire), BUT I believe there's some new ground in HBO's "True Blood," at least parts of their mythology is stuff I've never seen or heard before -- primarily their heirarchy and "internal politics," which is a big part of what makes that show interesting to me, THAT plus getting to see Anna Paquin naked, lol.
Jeff

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page