'Supernatural' on The CW HD (& syndicated on TNT HD) - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
But the British chapter of the (wo)Men of Letters has a point, they have generally been the cause of the need to save Earth.

I really thought that whole sequence with the rich British lady was going to be the guardian of that kid who could "wish" anything. I thought he was going to be the deus ex machina who fixes everything.

v/r,
C-F
I guess it could be debated if they caused everything or were they there to fix it and what they did was needed to resolve larger issues (e.g. they closed heaven and caused Angels to fall but did they really need to do that in the long run to resolve that whole Angel battle/issues, etc.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Given that the original 5-season story arc ultimately culminated in Sam & Dean being supposed to fight to the death, possessed by Michael and Lucifer, to bring on Armageddon... arguably everything that happened after that was kinda Sam & Dean's fault... their wonky deals to bring each other back with consequences... they even set loose Lucifer in season 4 as well... but all the stuff they let go as a result of killing some other thing they also let go... you could make the case that the world would perhaps have been better off IF Sam & Dean had fought to the death and let the angels take over.

That's not a complaint about the show, mind you... I'm talking in-show canon logic at work, where IF you live in their world and know all the stuff they've been up to... then you know they've caused half of the stuff while trying to prevent the other half, lather, rinse, repeat!

Sam & the mysterious woman... don't know how that will play out.

Dean & mom. In the early days Sam knew nothing about his mom and Dean really missed her... shaped them both to a degree. Dean getting the mom he lost back would be a big thing to his character... except... the mom he knew and lost... wasn't really who she was... as we find out later that she was a hunter... Dean never knew that... neither did Sam/Dean's dad... a whole lot of their earlier development would have played out a whole lot differently I suspect IF they knew their mom had been a hunter and wasn't just a random killing by a demon.

So I'm kind of looking forward to that... hoping Amara truly brought back Dean's mom, without any "fixes" or anything... but the real mom, who won't be the mom Dean thought he knew as a kid, since he met her as an adult and knows about her... also, with the Angel mind wipe, mom shouldn't know she met Sam & Dean when she was younger... unless Amara fixed that bit.

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to how that spins.
CruelInventions likes this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
God in our image vs us in his... what's the distinction? IF we are made in his image, then it's reasonable to expect that our flaws are his flaws. He would be unable to fix things in his creations (us) that he was unable to accept and address about himself.

So he gives us the same free will that he has, hoping perhaps to observe our mistakes and learn how to avoid them himself... only to see that we basically just do the same kinds of things he would do as we try to amass more and more power over time to approach the potential of his level of creation and destruction.

IF God were perfect, wouldn't his creations be perfect? IF God doesn't make mistakes, why would his creations make mistakes? The only way the "in his image" works is if he has the same flaws as we do, just with more power to back them up...

As for the all-knowing... IF he knows we are flawed and he will have to destroy us and start over... then he isn't infallable, and his "all-knowing" isn't of much value... I mean, if you know hitting yourself with a hammer is bad but you hit yourself with a hammer anyway, what good was that "power" of knowing the future?

There are flaws in this storyline, to be sure... but the representation of God as being semi-impotent doesn't stand out as a major one to me.

I'm not sure where they're going with this, though... because the introduction of God/Amara this season kind of hits the ceiling on powerful adversaries it would seem... I don't know exactly where they go from here... though I suppose it could still be fun IF instead of wiping everything out, Amara turns out to be a better God than Chuck... and actually gives us world peace BUT without free will, perhaps, which gives the boys something to fight against... next year could be the war against peace!
The use of the word image might be better served by its meaning which is likenesses , similitude, pattern or resemblance. This really also only applies to Adam (while woman was still inside) and when separated and then married the two become one again an reflect the God head. This does not apply to male and female as single.
Now as far as the show, I'm at a lost for words
Old 10-13-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Premiere Tonight!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Premiere Tonight!
I know!

I'm excited to see if they can keep the story going for yet another season

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good job. Good episode. I don't think the British chapter of the Men of Letters is this season's big bad, although Cas and Dean really got their butts kicked.
cel4145 likes this.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 658
I see the ratings were flat. It's not available on Hulu this season because CW is doing their own streaming thing. I got the episode off the CW site. On Hulu the episodes were available the hour after it aired on the west coast.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I added the channel to the Roku. Not as convenient as Hulu. And I had just decided to go with the no commercials option there, but with Agents of SHIELD having commercials and the CW shows moving to that new channel, it's not as attractive as it was.

v/r,
C-F
Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought this was a solid season starter... wonder how long they are going to keep the gang separated. Also, interesting to see what they appear to be doing with mom.

In the beginning, Sam never knew his mom... Dean idolized her... then Dean got to go back in time and meet her and find out she was a bad-ass hunter... later Sam got to meet her too... so they still haven't really met their mom... Because by the time she had kids, she was well away from the hunter lifestyle and trying to put that behind her. This episode really smacks you in the face with that... she can still be bad-ass probably, but really doesn't want to... and probably has mixed feelings of being proud of her sons and also horrified at the same time!

I like a lot of where that story can go once the gang is all back together. Also curious about Lucifer... wondering if they will explain what happened to him. I thought "The Darkness" had destroyed him... but apparently she only destroyed the vessel, but he must be low on angel juice or something if he isn't running amok.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
... but apparently she only destroyed the vessel, but he must be low on angel juice or something if he isn't running amok.
Hey, they also finally (conveniently) remembered that bit about Michael and Lucifer burning out human hosts really fast, which is why they needed Sam and Dean (being descendants of Cain and Abel).

Edit: Thinking about it, it might have been "cooler" to have the Archangels be too big for one host, so they could only put part of their power into each host. Then they could have had a dilemma about how much they disperse into human units vs keeping a reserve or fighting the other big bad on another "level". Then you could have the Big Bads remain bigger and badder, while presenting a way to win at the tactical level (the plucky underdogs must divide and conquer by separating the components). Otherwise you get sentimental old God and Amara.

v/r,
C-F

Last edited by CANNON-FODDER; 10-16-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
I added the channel to the Roku. Not as convenient as Hulu. And I had just decided to go with the no commercials option there, but with Agents of SHIELD having commercials and the CW shows moving to that new channel, it's not as attractive as it was.

v/r,
C-F
I tested a "cast" from from my PC to the Shield TV with the CW website and it worked fine as long as I went full screen. And yes not as attractive as the "no ads" option on Hulu. I think some of these "corporate experiments" will wind up failing.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, they also finally (conveniently) remembered that bit about Michael and Lucifer burning out human hosts really fast, which is why they needed Sam and Dean (being descendants of Cain and Abel).
Truth be told... they never actually explained how Lucifer got his old vessel back anyway. The way the story went, he left that vessel to take over Sam and then was trapped in the pit... Castiel rescued Sam the next season and we didn't see Lucifer (except in Sam's mind) until he returned last year still trapped in the cage until he got out.

So... are we to conclude that when Castiel originally saved Sam way back when, he took that other vessel back and stuck him down in the cage with Lucifer? Why would he have done that? Why would he have had to do that? Remember... before Lucifer was let free (the season where they broke the seals) Lucifer was in the cage by himself and not in a vessel!

So... plot hole alert!

But I guess we're done now that Lucifer gets his new body soon... Everybody sing with me now!

Oh I wish I had (that guy who sang the song) Jessie's body...

Old 10-17-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok this show can be so frustrating at times.

1. Why didn't Sam just call out to Castiel like they have a million times before? Their house shielded? OK, then do it in the van, or in the vets office, at any time.
2. Why is it, that this powerful Angel only had one thing in his entire bag of tricks was to punch the girl attacking him. Sure the brass knuckles were enchanted to hurt him but they weren't stopping him from using his powers. Can't hurt her directly? Then smash a tree on her head.
3. Why did Cas have to drive three hours to the bunker? Why didn't he teleport closer? Yes his powers still worked, he touched the guy to knock him out right after crashing to the ground so he had them.
4. So this seasoned, trained, hunter gets the upper hand (don't get me started on that massive pool of blood from a hand wound) and the girl collapses. So your first thought is, she is torturing me almost to death, slicing/burning open my flesh, so I am going to slowly limp away from her? Not, bash her head in, not tie her up, not make sure she is out, etc. etc. etc.

To many moments they don't follow the stuff they established on the show. They seem to throw out their book every season on what has happened before.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I too wondered why Sam didn't call out for Castiel... but given that she had sent Cas away in the finale episode, I figured maybe Sam either saw anti-Angel warding OR presumed such, and figured there was no point wasting that energy. Also, prior to getting his bullet wound treated, he was probably losing blood and weak. I'll give them that one.

I also wondered about Cas... sometimes he seems to be weaker lately than he used to be. It's one thing when he was working with "borrowed" grace... but he has his own back, and I assume had time to heal (or perhaps God/Amara helped) from last season. I'm not sure why he wasn't being more Angel-like. It's almost like the writers forgot.

Have Sam/Dean killed many humans? I don't remember them generally killing humans... just humans with demons inside, or angels of course. Even though they are treating him like crap, on some level Sam is probably still recognizing them as people who should be the good guys... so I imagine he is using the "kid gloves" so to speak in not going all out against them. I'm assuming that to be true unless/until they explain further.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I too wondered why Sam didn't call out for Castiel... but given that she had sent Cas away in the finale episode, I figured maybe Sam either saw anti-Angel warding OR presumed such, and figured there was no point wasting that energy. Also, prior to getting his bullet wound treated, he was probably losing blood and weak. I'll give them that one.

I also wondered about Cas... sometimes he seems to be weaker lately than he used to be. It's one thing when he was working with "borrowed" grace... but he has his own back, and I assume had time to heal (or perhaps God/Amara helped) from last season. I'm not sure why he wasn't being more Angel-like. It's almost like the writers forgot.

Have Sam/Dean killed many humans? I don't remember them generally killing humans... just humans with demons inside, or angels of course. Even though they are treating him like crap, on some level Sam is probably still recognizing them as people who should be the good guys... so I imagine he is using the "kid gloves" so to speak in not going all out against them. I'm assuming that to be true unless/until they explain further.
The warding doesn't hold up because he was in a vet office that was obviously not part of their group since they had him at gunpoint.

He didn't need to kill her, he should have tied her up, taken her weapons, anything. No way this seasoned hunter sees his torturer on the ground and limps away thinking it will be OK. Tie her up, anything.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The warding doesn't hold up because he was in a vet office that was obviously not part of their group since they had him at gunpoint.

He didn't need to kill her, he should have tied her up, taken her weapons, anything. No way this seasoned hunter sees his torturer on the ground and limps away thinking it will be OK. Tie her up, anything.
Or at least take away the cattle prod she's been using on him.

Seriously, Sam is notorious for leaving people laying on the ground unsecured with a handy weapon to use against him. He should have been dead, dead, actually dead long ago (not just mostly dead). I swear, he's walk away from a grease fire in a frying pan and assume no harm can come from it.

I like this show, but that kind of stuff has always ticked me off about it.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When he was in the Vet's office, though... it was fresh from the truck still with the bleeding bullet wound. I mentioned that in my earlier post... I give him a pass for not fighting there, because he was likely weak and also wanted to allow his wound to get treated by a doctor. He might have been weak enough at that point that he couldn't have called out for Castiel. BUT, having said that, it doesn't explain why Cas couldn't have found him using Angel-magic at that point... unless the British folk have special mobile Angel-dampening filters or something!

Unrelated... I know they time-traveled and met mom... and that each time she was mindwiped to forget so as not to alter the future. I'm wondering why she can't have those memories restored now. They are past the point where having those memories would have disrupted the past events... so it seems like they could have Cas do a hand-wave and give her back those lost memories of her kids. I'd like to see that happen, as it is an experience they can all actually share in common.

But... regarding mom... I'm curious. We have been shown how (specifically with the vessel of Castiel and his wife) people die and then meet up again in heaven... so, one presumes that mom and dad were reunited in heaven at some point once John Winchester had died. Doesn't that mean, even if she has no memories of Heaven, that mom was ripped away from dad? And he's somewhere in heaven wondering what just happened?

Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, hated that ending. After all that, its, OK we are all going to work together, see ya later brutal torturer. PLEASE! It felt like they realized they ran out of time and were like, oh crap we have 2 minutes left. Uhm, everyone is OK now, lets move on.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone in Chicago watching on Comcast where CW is now on MyTV? It's in Stereo and the sound is awful. The voices and anything loud is blown out and scratchy. This goes for Frequency as well, as these are the only two CW shows I watch.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
I enjoyed the most recent episode with Nazis.

Spoiler!
Brian Conrad likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
Old 11-11-2016, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was also an interesting choice having Hitler being kind of manic... equal parts scary and childlike, bouncing back and forth... his own men not knowing what to make of him.
Brian Conrad likes this.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am noticing that most shows are already going on hiatus until next year. Supernatural still has 5 more episodes until the show goes on break. Nice.

I like this year so far. Good standalone episodes. Mary has to come back into the fold at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement