'Supernatural' on The CW HD (& syndicated on TNT HD) - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #2551 of 2577 Old 01-27-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2201
Anyone heard about this new CW show before?

"“Searchers” hails from some of the CW’s most trusted creators: “The 100’s” Jason Rothenberg and super-producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Created by Rothenberg, the trio will executive produce. Warner Bros. Television is the studio, along with Berlanti Productions.

“Searchers” is about a group of unlikely heroes who find themselves on the journey of a lifetime. Ten years after the death of their parents, a pragmatic brother and free spirited sister are forced to team up when they learn that their mother’s terrifying and bizarre stories may be a road map to discovering the great legends, myths, and unexplainable mysteries of the world."

Why does it sound familiar ... hmmmmm ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2577 Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 524
I feel like Mary is trying to sniff out info from the British MoL by pretending to be interested in joining forces... Also, feels like there will be hell to pay when the Winchesters find out about all the people and monsters that "Cleaner" has been killing.

Also... Castiel. I can't figure him out anymore. Where did his powers go? Made sense when he didn't have his grace... that he was weaker... BUT he got his grace back AND Chuck/God healed him at the end of last year... so... why couldn't Castiel find the boys? That secret government compound wasn't warded against demons or angels... so some of that seemed weird to me. They really need to explain better in-show why Castiel can't do hardly anything anymore.

Oh... and another Reaper bites it... that has to become a problem at some point... Billie gave the boys a pass for offing Death... but it seems like at some point they ought to be setting up a Reaper war or something... because you shouldn't be messing with death, right?

Also... I liked the Fringe-esque magic typewriter.
post #2553 of 2577 Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Also... Castiel. I can't figure him out anymore. Where did his powers go? Made sense when he didn't have his grace... that he was weaker... BUT he got his grace back AND Chuck/God healed him at the end of last year... so... why couldn't Castiel find the boys? That secret government compound wasn't warded against demons or angels... so some of that seemed weird to me. They really need to explain better in-show why Castiel can't do hardly anything anymore.

Oh... and another Reaper bites it... that has to become a problem at some point... Billie gave the boys a pass for offing Death... but it seems like at some point they ought to be setting up a Reaper war or something... because you shouldn't be messing with death, right?

Also... I liked the Fringe-esque magic typewriter.
I was going to ask the same thing about Castiel. Is he recovering from something?

I want Tessa back. And I think they'll find a way to bring Death back. I mean, how can you kill Death? He and Dean have had some great scenes together. "Have some pizza. It's delicious."

I fell off the couch during the typewriter scene. An ode to a great show. I miss Fringe. It's my go to (along with West Wing) when I need something familiar to watch.

post #2554 of 2577 Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
I was going to ask the same thing about Castiel. Is he recovering from something? ...
TV Writers.

v/r,
C-F
post #2555 of 2577 Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
I mean, how can you kill Death?
Death is treated like the Rodney Dangerfield character of this show.

"I tell ya..."
post #2556 of 2577 Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They technically, vaguely, referred to Castiel's weakness this episode... so I guess they are listening. Basically it was a throwaway line about how much slower it is to travel with your "wings clipped." I guess that's a thing... but they've never really explained it as such. Unless somehow all the angels are weaker somehow? But apparently Lucifer wasn't... I mean aside from burning out his hosts like he always did... he didn't otherwise seem to be any weaker.

IF there's some kind of permanent de-powering since the "fall" they haven't really explained that as such. I always took it that when Metatron forced all the Angels out of Heaven that he made them human and locked them out of Heaven... but when they broke Heaven open again, and the Angels were allowed back... I assumed it was status quo again because they never explicitly said there was a permanent depowering of All "cast out" Angels. IF so... then, that also doesn't explain why Lucifer still has all his powers... because he was literally THE fallen angel originally... so it seems like IF that process does permanent de-powering, that it didn't affect him.

Anyway... trying not to overthink it... but really wish they would formally explain it somehow.
post #2557 of 2577 Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Ahhh THE COLT came back for another "bullet-time" kill. A really good episode.
post #2558 of 2577 Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Anyway... trying not to overthink it... but really wish they would formally explain it somehow.
If they did, in three episodes they would just renege on it for "plot" purposes anyway.

Seems like cartridges for the Colt used to be a lot harder to make/come-by... Heck, the Magic McGuffin spell even put the etchings on it for them.

v/r,
C-F
post #2559 of 2577 Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
Ahhh THE COLT came back for another "bullet-time" kill. A really good episode.
The Alpha Vamp said that the Colt couldn't kill him. My recollection is that the Colt couldn't kill the 4 Horsemen and Lucifer. Guess the old fang was wrong.

I thought the lore about vampires was that is you killed a vamp, all of his "children" would die. So if the Alpha was killed, wouldn't all vamps die? Just wondering...
post #2560 of 2577 Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Seems like cartridges for the Colt used to be a lot harder to make/come-by... Heck, the Magic McGuffin spell even put the etchings on it for them.
I forget when... but back when they first had the Colt, they used all the bullets it came with... then there was a point where they discovered how to make bullets. I forget what exactly happened in that episode... but basically they learned how to make bullets for the Colt. Then, the Colt disappeared. I actually can't remember exactly when that happened. Seemed like they didn't care too much, even though it is a really powerful thing to have around... even if it can't kill some of the worst stuff, it still kills most things.

I was surprised they didn't let Mom know this was old hat for them, that they had the Colt a lot over the years and had outgrown it But I guess Sam knowing how to make bullets was meant to bridge that gap.

Quote:
The Alpha Vamp said that the Colt couldn't kill him. My recollection is that the Colt couldn't kill the 4 Horsemen and Lucifer. Guess the old fang was wrong.
I always understood the "there are five things in all of creation the Colt can't kill" line from Lucifer to be more loosely interpreted than that. For example, it makes no sense for it to kill Michael, but not Lucifer... or any other Archangel for that matter... so adding those plus the four horsemen gets you well past 5 right there. Also, doesn't make sense for the Colt to be able to kill God or Amara either if it can't kill Archangels...

So, like others, I assumed the "five things" wasn't meant to specific characters but rather types... so

1. Archangels
2. Horsemen
3. Gods

What's left? I can't remember if they tried it on Leviathan or not... so Leviathan could be another. I'm also thinking it must not kill Knights of Hell (like Abadon) otherwise they would have used the Colt instead of going for the Mark of Cain and the jawbone...

So that could mean:

4. Leviathan
5. Knights of Hell

That might be it... Unsure, since it isn't really specified in-canon, though... outside of definitely not killing Lucifer, since they tried that.

Quote:
I thought the lore about vampires was that is you killed a vamp, all of his "children" would die. So if the Alpha was killed, wouldn't all vamps die? Just wondering...
I thought about this too. It sure does seem like killing Alpha should cause all others to revert... but then they have gotten the lore wrong sometimes... This one bears some thinking though.
post #2561 of 2577 Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... but basically they learned how to make bullets for the Colt. ...

I thought about this too. It sure does seem like killing Alpha should cause all others to revert... but then they have gotten the lore wrong sometimes... This one bears some thinking though.
I had looked it up on one of the wikis. It was Ruby who helped Bobby figure out how to make more when they were dealing with one of Lilith's followers making witches.

I thought they debunked that kill the maker vampire thing in one of the really early ones. Wasn't it that they could only come back before sunset and/or drinking blood the first time or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Vampires
A cure for vampirism exists, but only if the vampire has not yet drunk human blood. They need to drink a mixture that includes the blood of the vampire that turned them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Vampires
Vampirism is rarely curable, with the only known cure being a ritual recorded in a journal by an ancestor of the Campbell Family of hunters. The ritual calls for the blood of the new vampire's sire, and will not work if the subject has fed on human blood. The reversion is painful, but no secondary effects are retained. At least one cured vampire has retained all of his memories before he was reverted to humanity. However, the cure causes you to be sick for a few days. The cure does not require the vampire that turned the person to be alive for it to work.
v/r,
C-F
HDMe2 likes this.
post #2562 of 2577 Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I remembered the vampire cure... but I couldn't remember if they had debunked that bit in the lore about killing the siring vampire. But that makes sense, because otherwise that cure wouldn't make sense... because you'd just kill that vampire instead of trying to get his blood for a ritual to cure someone.

Thus, no cure for people once they drink human blood... though, clearly there also are different degrees of evil in vampires since we have seen more than one vampire who even though they have fed on humans, they don't seem evil. Dean's friend (forget his name... Benny maybe?) and a few random others over time.

I was thinking it was Ruby on the bullets, too... but couldn't remember 100%. She's the one that gave Sam the demon-killing knife too, right? So that makes sense.
post #2563 of 2577 Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least Supernatural is triggering some conversation again! If they could only bring Bobbie back.
fpileggi likes this.
post #2564 of 2577 Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Wow, that was a season ender! Supposedly killing off a whole slew of characters. It seems like no one really dies on Supernatural. Good to see sort of Bobby again.
post #2565 of 2577 Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I need to watch these... Both are on the DVR right now waiting for me to fix a snack and then watch them!
post #2566 of 2577 Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Wow, that was a season ender! Supposedly killing off a whole slew of characters. It seems like no one really dies on Supernatural. Good to see sort of Bobby again.
WOW! This was a real mindbending season ending. Lucifer in the alt-universe with Mary and alt-Bobby. Crowley and Cass down for the count. Brits wiped out (there have to be more). And new devil spawn to deal with. Reboot city but the boys haven't sold their souls this time around.
post #2567 of 2577 Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot. Rowena too!
post #2568 of 2577 Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
I forgot. Rowena too!
Good riddance.

post #2569 of 2577 Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't care what anyone says... I liked Rowena!

Crowley was a surprise... and his sacrifice kind of appears to have been completely for naught how that played out afterwards... Cas biting it was a surprise.

That's also quite a random alternate universe there... one without there ever being a Sam & Dean... which is interesting, because we've always been told that Sam & Dean were engineered to bring about the Apocalypse, right? Remember the war between Lucifer and Michael? How did that happen on alt-universe without those groomed vessels for them to inhabit? Also... Does that universe now have TWO Lucifers? Or two Marys for that matter now...

I feel like we haven't seen the end of that alt-universe no matter how you slice it. Next season will be interesting. I expect the British Men of Letters will leave the US alone though, going forward... they got their assess handed to them.
post #2570 of 2577 Old 05-21-2017, 12:13 AM

Rowena is dead?

Ding dong!

post #2571 of 2577 Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looks to me like budget cuts. Gotta pay the leads. The ancillaries that have been around for years had to go.
post #2572 of 2577 Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For me the one aspect of this show that has never been truly explored and investigated would be the bunker and the MOL. Ther is a vast amount of accumulated knowledge of spells and stuff there, Henry used magic to his advantage, yet S & D never seem to bother to learn how to do some things that might prove useful. Also, it had to take a lot of resources to build and collect all the contents where did all the money that supported it go? The guys should look for the various accounts, they have totally dropped the financial end of how they survive. 60 years of compound interest could net them a sizable fortune.
HDMe2 likes this.
post #2573 of 2577 Old 05-22-2017, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For me the one aspect of this show that has never been truly explored and investigated would be the bunker and the MOL. Ther is a vast amount of accumulated knowledge of spells and stuff there, Henry used magic to his advantage, yet S & D never seem to bother to learn how to do some things that might prove useful. Also, it had to take a lot of resources to build and collect all the contents where did all the money that supported it go? The guys should look for the various accounts, they have totally dropped the financial end of how they survive. 60 years of compound interest could net them a sizable fortune.
I feel like the Men of Letters in the US was spawned from the British group... and probably (given how the British group is revealed to run itself) was trying to enslave or make a deal with Abaddon back in the day and she wiped them out, except for Henry to time-traveled before biting it. So... I expect the British MOL left it alone until the adult Winchesters started averting and causing Apocalypse-level stuff to happen.

So... I'm thinking there is no money... just the stuff in the bunker. Sam & Dean do use the stuff there, spells included, when they need it. The writers could, admittedly, come up with more stuff that requires them to use more stuff from the bunker than we've yet to see... but that bunker is outdated compared to what the British MOL were setting up there in that warehouse that the US hunters happily blew up.

IF this were a bigger show, budget-wise, it would make sense to involve the other US hunters more... tie Sam & Dean and the bunker into more other stories of what those other hunters were up to... OR they could recruit some new Men of Letters to man the bunker and run it the US-way. I always thought there was potential for a US-MOL spin off... but they kept doing those other bad spinoff ideas instead! But a proper US-MOL spinoff could be a show about all the other US hunters and various missions... kind of like a Mission Impossible for monsters and lore!
post #2574 of 2577 Old 05-22-2017, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
When they do the recap at the beginning set to Wayward Son, it has to be the best opening to a show ever. That song is just absolutely perfect for this show. It is almost like the song was created for this show.
David F, HDMe2 and azada like this.

post #2575 of 2577 Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think MOL would be the ideal spin-off. Everything they have tried has been terrible. With MOL threy could introduce a younger cast with a nominal leader who sifts through all the archives and learns much of what has been lost when the MOL were killed. Ideally I'd cast Charlie as the lead in this with a small group of young acolytes. They could interact with various hunters and S&D as needed and even some of the dark side characters. I always enjoyed Charlie and Rowena's interaction, and if they can find a way to bring Charlie back they could do the same with Rowena.
HDMe2 likes this.
post #2576 of 2577 Old 05-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I think MOL would be the ideal spin-off. Everything they have tried has been terrible.
We brought that up in this thread almost as soon as the MOL appeared on the show. It seems like a no brainer (even if it is basically the Watchers Council from Buffy) but instead they chose to try that terrible Bloodlines idea. That sounded bad just as a text summary and it was worse as an episode.

I think the ship has sailed on spinoffs for Supernatural. It's long past buzz time. It's the CSI/Law and Order of CW now. Stick it in the schedule and it will keep a predictable number of people watching. Adding another show will probably just mean lower ratings for too much effort.
HDMe2 likes this.

post #2577 of 2577 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IF they were smart, they would have cultivated MOL for a spin off... that way it would have time to breathe and grow and find a footing before Supernatural eventually goes. I mean, eventually the main guys are going to want to do something else even though it has been clear they enjoy doing the show so far.

The beauty of MOL is that they could have also used it to feature other US hunters... many of whom we have seen before on Supernatural... so as long as they can get those actors to reprise the roles, it would be a cool way to ensure the Supernatural audience crosses over and watches. Sherrifs Donna and Jody Mills, Garth (even if he is a werewolf now) and others that have had multiple appearances would be an easy hook to get people to watch the show. You could even cut a couple of Supernatural episodes from the season and add a couple of Sam & Dean episodes to a MOL show to give it a good start.

There's about ZERO reason NOT to do this show and see what happens. Though I agree, the ship might very well have sailed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page