Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Personally I thought the pilot was pretty good. If nothing else, it is good to see a show that isn't a cop/doctor/reality show.

Will be interesting to see if it can keep up the suspense and scare over a season.

FWIW, it will be rebroadcast on Thursday.

-Suntan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
glad to see someone else watched it

I thought it was a cool show -- a "younger" version of the x-files if you will, minus the FBI stuff

pq and sound were very good...much better than Fox's blurry crap.
post #3 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Very annoying 4:3 bright white bug - on a dark, spooky show like this - that's a crime.
post #4 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree. It was a good set-up episode. Although I wish they would have selected another name for this week's featured adversary, since
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the woman in white legend has nothing to do with infidelity, her killing of others, or those who pick her up. They could have kept the premise of the show as is, but just created a new legend and name to fit. It will be interesting to see if they follow this same method for future episodes.

I'll be watching this show for at least a few more episodes. As long as it at least maintains tonight's quality, I'll be in for the whole season.

Scott

post #5 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Agreed, all the dang anamaited ads for other shows was quite annoying.

And yes, I it seems like a non FBI X files, only with... well supernatural events instead of aliens.

-Suntan
post #6 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was pretty impressed. Allot better than I expected from The WB. I'll definitely be watching next week.
post #7 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I give it a C-. I didn't buy the premise, and thought it was cobbled together. I'll tune in again, but I'm withholding season pass status for the moment .
post #8 of 2270 Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I like it a lot!! Very dark, with some great low bass sub-woofer action to go with it. A little humor thrown in too. I don't think that even Speilberg could have done a better job with the lighting of some of the scenes. I'll keep watching for now.
post #9 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked it. It's a valid X-files replacement targeted a younger audience, which for some reason often includes me.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #10 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

I liked it, very dark, detailed picture ( the WB logo has to go ), I would hate to see what the picture looked like for the SD version.
post #11 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Way too dark on SD, no detail at all ... mostly just disembodied voices. Furthermore, all the promo popups on WB39 blinded me
post #12 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Ratings appear to be pretty weak. The show barely finished ahead of tommy lee goes to college.

The WB basically poured all their money for this season into promoting this show and got nothing out it. Oh well...I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll air whatever episodes they ordered.
post #13 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

Supernatural debuted with a One Tree Hill-like 4.3/ 7 in the overnights (#4), 5.49 million viewers (#4), and a 2.4/ 6 among adults 18-49 (#4) at 9 p.m. Retention for Supernatural out of Gilmore Girls was 80 percent in the overnights, 90 percent in viewers, and 89 percent among adults 18-49, with no audience fall-off in the second half-hour -- always a positive sign. Consider this a promising start for Supernatural.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp
post #14 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the show was excellent, especially for the WB. It even had an homage to X-Files, nice. I thought the WW effects were a blatant rip off of The Ring. That's a good thing, as they were both well done. BTW, the Supernatural females are HOT!

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #15 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

She still has a long, long, long way to go to match the Nicole Kidman "world-renowned brain surgeon" (at about age 24) role in "Days Of Thunder".
post #16 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I both liked it alot. We both watched X-files and Buffy every season and this seems like a good replacement for both shows (mix of elements from both shows).

The girlfriend of the younger brother was mighty hot, too bad she won't be on future episodes. What a tease.

We watched "Bones" on Fox before it, and cancelled it's Tivo Season Pass... .but Supernatural got bumped up a few on the priority list.
post #17 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

The girlfriend of the younger brother was mighty hot, too bad she won't be on future episodes. What a tease.

Given the nature of the show I wouldn't write her out yet.

Dave B.
post #18 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did I mention it wasn't a show about Lawyers, Doctors, Policeman, Overprivlaged teenagers that complain about their lives or large breasted females in bikini's eating worms and voting people off islands?????

I would argue that even a modest viewership is good enough to keep it on the WB, but I don't know much about that.

Even if it is a season of disjointed plots held together by a weekly comment to the affect of "well we should go find dad after we kill yet another demon in this next town...." it will still be interesting enough to keep me at least watching, as the wife watches "Gilmore Girls" and I can timeshift "House" to 9pm.

It would be great if they deeply meshed the plot of finding their father and their mother's killer into the story on a weekly basis. It may seem like you would run out of material quickly that way, but JJ showed us you can keep a story alive even when all the characters have nowhere to go...

As for the mood and lighting for the show. Deffinately adds to the show in such a way as that I have not seen in a while. Point Pleasent had similar dark subject matter, but everything took place in suburban kitchens, not... ...that... ...scarey.

-Suntan
post #19 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Did I mention it wasn't a show about Lawyers, Doctors, Policeman, Overprivlaged teenagers that complain about their lives or large breasted females in bikini's eating worms and voting people off islands?????

I would argue that even a modest viewership is good enough to keep it on the WB, but I don't know much about that.

I'd agree. Retaining 80% of its lead in is really pretty impressive. I thought at first they were dumb to pair this show with Gilmore Girls instead of Smallville, but it looks like it might have been a good call. How much of this week's audience it retains next week will be very revealing.

As for the show itself, I was impressed, overall. It was actually scary without being gory, and dark without being depressing. I was not surprised to see that one of the producers was the guy behind Fox's brilliant-but-short-lived "Brimstone" -- the dialogue and overall sensibilities were similar. It also reminded me of a not-quite-so-dark version of "Miracles" which was on ABC a few years back.

The shout-out to Mulder and Scully was cute, too.

I thought some of the scenes were too dark to see clearly even in HD -- I can't imagine how muddy it must have looked in standard def. In such a crowded time slot, I originally had this show planned for SD on my TiVo, but I may have to rethink that.
post #20 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

It has promise and there were quite a few suspenseful scenes. Although dark, there was still a surprising amount of detail.

I thought the dynamics between the brothers was good--not sure if the search for Dad is going to be running theme. That could play out really quickly.
post #21 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Whitearrow]I'd agree. Retaining 80% of its lead in is really pretty impressive. I thought at first they were dumb to pair this show with Gilmore Girls instead of Smallville, but it looks like it might have been a good call. How much of this week's audience it retains next week will be very revealing.

you'll get your wish tomorrow as it looks like the SUPERNATURAL pilot repeats @9 PM EST after a SMALLVILLE re-run. can't wait as i had to work tues. nite and missed it. will be a bit odd to see Jensen Ackles back-to-back in two different series(but he's one reason i'm checking it out as he seems well-suited for SUPERNATURAL at least judging from the trailers.) and all the reviews i've seen go out of the way to say this show is SCARY!!! like i said can't wait.

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #22 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The networks are sure kind to people like me who always miss the first episode of everything. I missed the first Lost and ABC ran it again. I missed Prison Break, no problem, they ran it again. It sure helps folks who don't hear about new shows until someone mentions them.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #23 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Of the three new shows I've seen so far (Prison Break, Bones, Supernatural), I'd rank Supernatural the best by a very wide margin. Best horror show since Buffy and Angel left the air. And I *loved* the 5.1 channel surround.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #24 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I really need a WB-HD station here in eastern Iowa!!

Between this and Smallville, I got 2 good reasons for it.

I watch both shows' first-runs in SD because its the only way I can, but comparing Smallville on the local WBs and HDNet, and the difference is quite apparent (PQ-wise).

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #25 of 2270 Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 PM

I enjoyed it as well, and thought the picture quality was pretty good.
post #26 of 2270 Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Personally, I would have to say that I like Prison Break better right now, but yeah, on the whole I have actually been looking forward to this years round of season premires.

As for all of the repeats of the first couple episodes, it can only help them. Any series that actually has content that progresses from show to show (instead of self contained seperate plots each week) they know people that are not caught up with the story will not stay and watch.

This was the origianal problem with ALIAS, no new viewers because they couldn't figure out what was going on. Same thing happened with the first 24 (although not as bad.) Have you ever tried to watch Lost with someone that has not kept up with it? Its miserable.

As for why they aired it right after Gilmore Girls, the one brother was on Gilmore Girls in its first 2 or 3 seasons. Not the Dean one, but the other one (although his name was Dean on the Gilmore Girls). Might have something to do with it.

-Suntan
post #27 of 2270 Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

As for why they aired it right after Gilmore Girls, the one brother was on Gilmore Girls in its first 2 or 3 seasons. Not the Dean one, but the other one (although his name was Dean on the Gilmore Girls).

The fact that this show features characters named Dean and Jess was really bugging my wife. She couldn't stop mentioning it the whole episode.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #28 of 2270 Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Never watched Gilmore Girls, but I do remember pointing out that the one brother was a super mutant on Dark Angel in the later seasons.

I am looking forward to future episodes of Supernatural, but right now I've still got Prison Break by a nose over Supernatural, probably becase there have been more episodes. Bones is close at 3rd.

Interesting that the subject matter of Supernatural almost seems refreshing, even though its actually pretty typical TV fare, at least it was until the reality/cops/forensics craze of late.

Head Case, anyone? (Haven't watched it yet, but looked pretty good when editing the commercials out on my Fusion III recording) I think we need a new decent comedy.
post #29 of 2270 Old 09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I thought the opening, when the mother walked in on the man standing over the baby and thought it was her husband but we all knew wasn't, was genuinely scary. They went with too much f/x at the end, but if they kept more to the atmosphere of the beginning, this could be intriguing.

I'm bummed that they knocked off the hot g/f. But she may make a reappearance yet. If we're lucky, maybe she'll be condemned to haunt the netherworld in her smurf undies.

I would put Prison Break slightly above Supernatural (caveat: I've only seen the pilot for P.B.), and Bone a disappointing 3rd.
post #30 of 2270 Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched it on WB-HD OTA here in D/FW, put it wasn't 5.1. Were you HD guys getting it in 5.1?

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page