'Bones' on FOX HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Thursday, September 21, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

On Fox, week two of drama Bones took a considerable hit, dipping to a third-place 5.7/ 9 in the overnights, 7.27 million viewers and a 3.0/ 8 among adults 18-49 from 8-9 p.m. Compared to one week earlier (based on final national results for total viewers and adults 18-49), that was a decrease of 33 percent in the overnights (8.5/13 to 5.7/ 9), 3.52 million viewers (10.79 to 7.27 million), and 23 percent among adults 18-49 (3.9/11 to 3.0/ 8). Keep in mind that typical erosion for a new series in week two hovers in the 10 to 15 percent range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Because this doctor may be smart but she has no people skills, which has been clearly established from the beginning.

Obviously, that has been clearly established... but is she so stupid that she can't follow simple instructions like "shut up and say nothing Bones". Not having people skills is one thing, I know plenty of people like that... but all of them can be told "don't say this" and they stop doing it. Hell, my 3yr old can almost grasp that concept.
post #93 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

(From Marc Berman's Programming Insider column of Thursday, September 21, 2005 at Mediaweek.com)

On Fox, week two of drama Bones took a considerable hit, dipping to a third-place 5.7/ 9 in the overnights, 7.27 million viewers and a 3.0/ 8 among adults 18-49 from 8-9 p.m. Compared to one week earlier (based on final national results for total viewers and adults 18-49), that was a decrease of 33 percent in the overnights (8.5/13 to 5.7/ 9), 3.52 million viewers (10.79 to 7.27 million), and 23 percent among adults 18-49 (3.9/11 to 3.0/ 8). Keep in mind that typical erosion for a new series in week two hovers in the 10 to 15 percent range.

I fully expected this, but not because of the quality of the show but because this week the competition was the season opener for NCIS, which was the followup to the murder of Kate. Last week it had reruns for competition. It will be hard to judge the real popularity of the show for another week or two, until the schedule settles down.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #94 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 AM

BTW, what happened to the whole, "I don't know what that means!" schtick? It was so overplayed in the first episode, but not used at all in the second. I was kind of hoping each week, there'd be 1-2 moments where someone references something from pop culture and Bones exclaims, "I don't know what that means."

Maybe week 3, one of the assistants runs in and yells, "Whaaaazzaaaauuuup!" and Bones looks at him and says, "I don't know what that means." It'll be so funny!
post #95 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just want to say that Emily Deschanel is quite beautiful in HD, especially those clear blue eyes of hers.
post #96 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post

Hmm, I liked this episode more than the pilot

So, did I !
Although, mostly only for the redeeming fact that it showed an aerial view of the chapel where my wife and I were married.

Brought back sweet memories of the special day.

What was with dem boots zee docteur was wearing at the beginning ?
Did I miss something?
Is that some sort of current fashion statement that I am unaware of ?.............or a remedy in case dem beetles got outs of the aquarium after din-din?
post #97 of 658 Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post

Well, I just want to say that Emily Deschanel is quite beautiful in HD, especially those clear blue eyes of hers.

There are beautifull women on most TV shows. I choose to watch something with women who can act and a plot.

Bones has dropped off the bottom and I'm gonna watch NCIS in HD during that hour. Tha show will have to improve fast or it gets flushed too.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #98 of 658 Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
OK, this show is very hit or miss. I'm the first to admit that. But I really want to meet and give a big hug to the writers of last night's episode for the scene where the characters are looking at the video surveillance tape and the techy girl can't just magically zoom in and instantly magnify the tiny details in perfect clarity. She actually takes the time to explain that the video has limited resolution and you can't see details that weren't recorded on it.

That is something that infuriates me whenever I see it on 24, or Alias, or CSI, or any of countless other cop/spy/procedural shows.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #99 of 658 Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I agree this has been hit/miss. I also liked the clearly explained lack of ability to enhance the image as the previous poster stated. Of course, later they magically recover a reflection in the glass door that looked almost like an original photo. So much for scientific integrity.

I had pretty much given up on this show and really had wanted it to be good. I liked David B's shy humor in Angel and he seems to be playing it the same way here. But the supposed chemistry btwn the characters had been lacking until last night. I thought this was one of their best outings. There was empathy for several of the characters, even the rich guy in disguise and especially the female lab tech who was thinking of quitting. It still smells of a CSI type saga, but I'm hopeful after last night.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #100 of 658 Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Agreed, I was actually surprised that they did that. At least we know there are a few writers out there that don't assume the viewers are idiots.

I thought the story itself was pretty good as well.
post #101 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

She actually takes the time to explain that the video has limited resolution and you can't see details that weren't recorded on it.

You mean some government agency head guy can't just lean over a techy's shoulder and say, "Enhance!" to make an image magically get sharper and more detailed?
post #102 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I sort of lost interest in the first couple episodes but have started to watch this show again for some reason. I'm not sure why I like it.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #103 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
I suspect it is (at least in part) due to the odd chemistry between Brennan and Booth.

The LA Daily News has an interesting story about that today. It's here (post 6551)--

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=219&pp=30
post #104 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I liked David B's shy humor in Angel and he seems to be playing it the same way here. But the supposed chemistry btwn the characters had been lacking until last night. I thought this was one of their best outings. There was empathy for several of the characters, even the rich guy in disguise and especially the female lab tech who was thinking of quitting. It still smells of a CSI type saga, but I'm hopeful after last night.

I thought the chemistry worked nicely as well. My only dissappointment with this episode was when the opportunity for a great line was missed. I saw it going something like this:

Bones "But you believe in God".

David B "But I'm no angel". Heh Heh

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #105 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
sfb

Liked: 11
I stopped watching NCIS because of the cast change and now watch Bones even though I don't like any of the characters.
post #106 of 658 Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

I thought the chemistry worked nicely as well. My only dissappointment with this episode was when the opportunity for a great line was missed. I saw it going something like this:

"Classic"

Hey... I like "Bones" especially that Bones chick; and I always liked David Boreanaz too. Of course it doesn't hurt this show that it also airs right before "House."
post #107 of 658 Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

Of course Bones would reply, "I don't know what that means."

I'm so glad they brought that schtick back as a weekly thing.
post #108 of 658 Old 11-14-2005, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if Bones is part Vulcan?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #109 of 658 Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

- Tom

No, but Spock is...........

Bobby 

post #110 of 658 Old 11-15-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

"I don't know what that means."
-Bones
post #111 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Is anybody else besides me still watching Bones?
The show has grown on me a bit. The main characters- Brennan and Booth are interesting and there's usually some funny exchanges between them. Like when she says "Freeze... FBI!!" he turns to her and says "Bones, you can't say that.... I have the badge..." It just works for them.
The exterior scenes look great in HD, last week they did some desert shots and last night some shots on location in some national park.... both were gorgeous in HD. At least it seems like they're trying to make the show better and more interesting.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #112 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder, need to set up a season pass for HD Bones now that I'm HD ready.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #113 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I still like this show. It's fun to watch if you don't try to take it too seriously.

Last night the episode was all about Assateague Island and digging for treasure. The place they were at looked nothing like the real place.

Dave B.
post #114 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 04:29 PM
DDD

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm enjoying it enough to season pass it. But, this is the third time I noticed that they did a bad job of blur photoshopping under her eyes.
post #115 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 PM

So, I go and set up a Season Pass, and there aren't any upcoming episodes.

Maybe after Idol is over, it'll come back.

Jerry

post #116 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

last night they said 2 weeks for the next new episode.

Dave B.
post #117 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Is anybody else besides me still watching Bones?
The show has grown on me a bit. The main characters- Brennan and Booth are interesting and there's usually some funny exchanges between them. Like when she says "Freeze... FBI!!" he turns to her and says "Bones, you can't say that.... I have the badge..." It just works for them.
The exterior scenes look great in HD, last week they did some desert shots and last night some shots on location in some national park.... both were gorgeous in HD. At least it seems like they're trying to make the show better and more interesting.

Haven't missed one. Good news is that a lot more people have been watching Bones lately, as it's ratings have been gaining strength over the last five weeks. It hit it's stride after only the two first episodes and had one of the better pilots of the new shows this season.

IMO, it's the only new show that hasn't yet had a bad episode. It features very well developed characters that are easy to care about and benefits from consistently the best written scripts of any show currently on. Definitely still watching.

Bones has also quietly become a rather big ratings surprize to everyone, including the folks at FOX:
Quote:

TV Notebook
Fox lines up 'Bones' for Season 2

By Kimberly Nordyke The Hollywood Reporter

Fox Broadcasting Co. has given an early sophomore-season nod to the drama series "Bones" from 20th Century Fox TV, the network confirmed Thursday.

The series stars Emily Deschanel as a forensic anthropologist and part-time novelist whose specialty is identifying bodies and solving crimes based on clues left behind in victims' bones. David Boreanaz plays an FBI homicide investigative agent who often works with her on investigations.

"Bones" has bounced around Fox's schedule this season but primarily aired in the Tuesday 8 p.m. slot until "American Idol" returned in January. The series has averaged 8.4 million viewers and a 3.6 rating/9 share in the adults 18-49 demographic so far this season, according to Nielsen Media Research.

post #118 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Haven't missed an episode, one of only 3 shows I watch on FOX. As noted, this show has had some great looking PQ as well as having likable characters, especially the interplay between the 2 leads.
post #119 of 658 Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbatch View Post

last night they said 2 weeks for the next new episode.

Good, won't have to wait too long to finally see it in HD.

I've watched all of them thus far (except last nights, but it's sitting in the TiVo) in SD, just wasn't quick enough to get one on HD.

Jerry

post #120 of 658 Old 04-07-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Doesn't hurt that Emily Deschanel is pretty easy on the eyes too...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page